The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands on BBCA"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-27-06, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands on BBCA"
LAST EDITED ON 07-28-06 AT 06:45 AM (EST)

I've been a huge fan of the Shipwrecked series in the past. I've seen the previous three versions and although the first thought for most is that it is a rip-off of Survivor I guarantee it is not. Those who think so are totally wrong.
Where Survivor is a gameshow. Shipwrecked is a social experiment.

Anyways, the first three seasons saw a large group of teens and twenty-somethings stranded on a deserted island to see how (and if) they can build a community.
Season one was all brits. Season two saw a full european spin and season three invited into the mix both australians and americans.

Each season has been about surviving the elements and each other but without the weekly booting. So for a lot of them they just have to work out their differences. The prize was merely bragging rights. "I can survive on a deserted island for 3 months!"

This season the format has changed. It's now two teams, the sharks and the tigers battling it out with each other. But instead of winning challenges and sending the other team to tribal council, each week a new player is introduced and the teams try to persuade the new castaway into joining their "tribe". The tribe with the most members after 5 months will win 70K pounds.

There always seems to be a good mix of folks. Gay/straight/bluecollar/whitecollar/rich/poor/black/white/Alpha/Omega etc.
This season doesn't dissapoint either.
As of the first episode, the tribes tried to get their campsites up and running. So far the tigers have succeeded in building a beautiful shelter and the sharks have succeeded in tidying up their area.

Then, the first new arrival lands and is spending her first three days with the tigers and then the sharks. I've been trying not to spoil it for myself, so as to which tribe she chooses I do not know. But if I were her I'd plant myself as close to Chris as I possibly could. Rowrrr...he's hot!

Anyways, I wanted to bring this to the attention of RTVW folks as this season is shaping up to be quite a fun ride. If you have BBCAmerica, tune in on wednesdays at 10 for an interesting social experiment.
Also, it's being filmed on the CookIslands. Aitutaki, to be specific. Which if you don't know by now, it's where Survivor is going next.

CFD with Rollie!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Shipwrecked: Battle of the Isla... shakes the clown 07-28-06 1
   RE: Shipwrecked: Battle of the Isla... tribephyl 07-28-06 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-28-06, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands on BBCA"
I stumbled upon this the other night...thought it was good. Will definitely watch the whole series. I didn't know that it was already on for 3 seasons.

The prize is quite weak. 70k pounds? That's like $100,000..split amongst the whole tribe which by the end could have quite a few people in it.

I really like the guy with ADHD. Its great that this show has no boots cause that allows people like the ADHD guy to be completely insane and annoying with no consequences.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-28-06, 03:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands on BBCA"
Hiya Shakes!
Glad to hear you like it. At least so far.

Like I said before I've seen the previous versions and this one differs in a lot of ways.
The teams concept is new. (and so is the garnering favor with the new castaways.)
The prize money is new. (Usually it's just bragging rights. And in that respect, 70K is a remarkable jump in prize money. Compared to 0.00. And really, what is an 18 year old gonna do with more than $10,000? LOL)

But the fact that it remains as a social experiment is the main reason I'm still a huge fan. (I was fearful when I first heard about the format change.)

Geoff, the ADHD guy, is funny. (That coming from the perspective of my own couch.) But, I can understand why folks would be frustrated. But like you said, they don't vote people out.
Wait....I take that back. They do have the option of voting someone off, but because of the "goal" it's doubtful any one team would be willing to lessen their chances of winning the "game" by booting one of their own tribemates.
But there is precedent. In the 3rd season, the tribe was plagued with a large group of sun-bathing hotties and another group of hard-working brutes. In the middle was this tempermental French girl. She ended up stealing the camps matches to start her own fire and campsite away from the group and was eventually asked to leave by everyone on the tribe. (Because of this a couple more people ended up quitting of their own accord.)
So even though the show doesn't have a "booting" clause built into it's design, we may still see someone get asked to leave. (Or someone quit.)

I'm contemplating writing a summary for the show. Any interest in co-authoring?

CFD with Rollie!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •