The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Carl's Early Show interview"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Stairway2Dayton 104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-26-01, 08:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Stairway2Dayton Click to send private message to Stairway2Dayton Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Carl's Early Show interview"
LAST EDITED ON 10-26-01 AT 09:00 AM (EST)

He joined Survivor for 3 reasons: Lose weight, see Africa, the $$$ (He lost 18 pounds)

He was pretty gracious about the whole tribal split thing, especially Silas. He said that he never trusted him but that he was a good guy. Carl never brought up his cars or money, the kids did as part of their strategy. (Duh Carl, why didn't you say you drove a Taurus or something?) He thinks they picked him for shock value and to split up Frank and "Doc". He said the oldsters got really sick of doing all the work while the kids layed around. They targeted Lindsey because she had been sick, and because she kept sunbathing which they all thought was hurting the tribe since it dehydrated her.

The giant dung balls were very heavy and the surface was rough. They all scraped up their hands on it, and when Frank got whacked on the head he was bleeding.

Carl and Teresa were required to sit out of the IC. They could provide water and food but absolutely no suggestions. Carl had wanted to participate but Brandon didn't want to sit out of this one.

They had no idea until the show aired that Brandon cooked the extra food.

He went on safari with Jessie and Diane afterwards, and now Jessie is good friends with his wife. His words about the safari were "I was surrounded by beautiful women" or something to that effect. Possible spoiler info?

S2D

**edited because I just realized that Brandon already sat out of the RC so he HAD to participate in the IC. Carl did stumble over people's names a couple of times. That leaves Lindsey, Silas or Frank to sit out of the next RC and IC, unless they pull another "whole team runs the maze" challenge.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Carl's Early Show interview HomeBrewer 10-26-01 1
 RE: Carl's Early Show interview SurvivorBlows 10-26-01 2
 RE: Carl's Early Show interview Outfrontgirl 10-26-01 3
   RE: Carl's Early Show interview landruajm 10-27-01 4
   RE: Carl's Early Show interview Loree 10-30-01 5
 Carl interview with Entertainment W... PepeLePew13 10-30-01 6
   A couple of random thoughts dabo 10-30-01 7
       RE: A couple of random thoughts Lurking 10-31-01 11
   SPOILER ?!?!!? mavsfan 10-30-01 8
       RE: SPOILER ?!?!!? dabo 10-30-01 9
           Don't forget the water! IceCat 10-31-01 10
 RE: Carl's Early Show interview Outfrontgirl 10-31-01 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

HomeBrewer 104 desperate attention whore postings

10-26-01, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HomeBrewer Click to send private message to HomeBrewer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Carl's Early Show interview"
Just to clarify, JP said that no tribe member could sit out consecutive challenges. In other words, Just cannot sit out two in a row, not that everyone had to sit out before the cycle restarted. Brandon had to play in the IC, he sat out RC. He can sit out next RC though.

“Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.” -Winston Churchill

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-26-01, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Carl's Early Show interview"

>guy. Carl never brought up his cars or money,
>the kids did as part of their strategy. (Duh
>Carl, why didn't you say you drove a Taurus or
>something?)

No kidding -- this guy doesn't have a problem LYING to the GXA about many other things -- including to Lindsey in an Insider clip when she confronted him about the whole OFA alliance thing.

But when the topic of cars comes up first he refuses to answer the question, and then he answers IT TRUTHFULLY???

This guy wasn't the bright player I thought he was. And what happened to that "big weight loss" info that one of his patients supposedly observed only 2-3 days after he returned from Africa. ...did he lose weight on safari or was hte patient wrong -- if bootees are continuing to lose THAT MUCH weight on safari this is going to be a long season, because weight loss have historically been the BEST indication we have as spoilers.

>He went on safari with Jessie and Diane afterwards, and now
>Jessie is good friends with his wife. His words
>about the safari were "I was surrounded by beautiful women"
>or something to that effect.
> Possible spoiler info?

No offense to Diane, but if he used the phrase "surrounded by beautiful women" then damn, other than MAYBE ruling the MEN out, this is going to be a pretty worthless spoiler

Sounds like Carl was just being generous...

-SB

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-26-01, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Carl's Early Show interview"
What jumped out at me was the way the previews misled us in our spoiling.

We were told a "he" (obviously Brandon) would cook his friends more breakfast (which he did), and we were shown shots of the OFA returning and a clip of Carl being pissed at the GenXers.

The preview caused us to assume the food transgression would become an issue, and that was a prime reason for picking Brandon over Lindsey as the Samburu OFA bootee.

Now we find out that OFA never discovered that food "theft" and there was no issue over the food with Brandon. Were it not for the preview, had I gone on common sense alone, I would have picked Lindsey--openly insubordinate and pushing herself into illness in all the wrong ways, plus more pull with Teresa.

2)
As far as the car admission goes--clearly it didn't help Carl that he had never watched Survivor and primarily ended up in the game as a way to get to Africa and go on a photo-shoot. He had not studied the winning strategies--looks like Teresa has given strategy more thought and is trying hard not to make enemies.

I noted that Carl was clear that Silas targeted him instead of Frank in hopes of pulling Teresa towards the Xers. He didn't mention Linda, who must be firmly with Frank. Clearly the Xers don't like Linda: Kim outright told her to go away when she asked if Lindsey needed anything.

I expect if Samburu goes back to TC they'll go for Frank or Linda. They almost have to keep Frank until close to the merge though. They've only got one strong male now to do their chores.
OMG, they might not get to sleep in now!

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings

10-27-01, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail landruajm Click to send private message to landruajm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Carl's Early Show interview"
>What jumped out at me was
>the way the previews misled
>us in our spoiling.

Me too--sometime before the first commercial I started muttering dark conspiratorial things about MB's deliberate misdirection. I believe that he has turned up the volume considerably on his efforts to spoof the spoiling community.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-01, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Carl's Early Show interview"
I think Linda seems to be the next one to go on Samburu. She is the weaker one of the old group and seems to be getting on people's nerves. I know Lindsay can't stand Frank. But they should realize they need his strength for water and the challenges. But then we don't know if they will vote wisely. But Carl never mentioned going on safari with Frank. And I don't think he would consider Frank a good-looking woman.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-01, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Carl interview with Entertainment Weekly"
I found this to be interesting as the tone is somewhat different from the Early Show...

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,181983~3~0~carllatestcastofftalks,00.html

Dental Damn!

Carl, the latest castoff, talks to EW.com.
They claimed he was too rich to need the prize, but the 46-year-old dentist says he was something else entirely: honest.

by Jessica Shaw

Who would have thought it would be important to know whether or not pouring boiling water on a tick removes it? Florida dentist Carl Bilancione, 46, sure didn't -- or else he wouldn't have missed that question in the tie-breaker with Lindsey on the Oct. 25 episode of "Survivor: Africa." EW.com expected to hear him go off on Lindsey, but instead he had more to say about 23-year-old Silas.

So were you surprised when you got four votes at tribal council?
I could see Silas planting those seeds about my being a dentist . I mean, his father is an oral surgeon. He makes a lot more money than I do. But I'd also heard rumblings that they were going to vote for Frank.

So you think it was Silas who ruined it for you?
He's a 23-year-old guy. His ego got in the way. The little bird on my shoulder told me Silas was a little afraid if he sided with us, we would vote him off once the tribes merged.

You don't seem all that bitter about Lindsey.
No, I didn't hate Lindsey. I have never hated Lindsey. I believe she was using a smart strategy for a girl of her age. She did the whole, "I'm a poor college executive" or whatever she is. "He's the rich doctor."

How did you envision things playing out?
The biggest frustration was we four adults felt like we could win if we just keep voting out the weakest person. It wasn't a backstabbing strategy. But the younger people didn't buy it. They didn't trust us. Boran as a tribe outmatched us, and we had to remain strong.

What was up with their whole necklace bonding session?
It was very childish. When we were watching, my 17-year-old daughter Jessica said, "I can't believe how immature and irresponsible those people are." But I said, It's just a game. I don't know if that was their game face or if that's how they really are.

How was the oral hygiene in Africa?
There's a tree, the Malafi tree, which the Masai tribe uses. I actually used it along with my toothbrush and didn't have a hygiene problem. The biggest hygiene problem was not being able to jump into the ocean like they could on the other two "Survivors".

How did you miss that tick question?
That's where my dental degree hindered me. I thought if you poured hot water, you'd burn the person. I don't remember that being in the manual, but I should never have missed the snake question. I used to run a pet store in college. All my friends emailed me asking how I could miss the snake question.

Were you starving when you left?
Oddly enough, I never felt hungry. I went to Africa with the objective to lose 30 pounds. I lost 18. Water was the precious commodity but not food. After I left, some guy handed me a Coke. I was like, no, I want a hot shower.

Did you hang out in Africa afterward?
Yeah, they allowed me to bring all my professional camera equipment with the understanding that they'd hold onto my pictures until January 10. I got to play the game, lose weight, and then take pictures of Africa. I don't regret anything.

I found the comments where he said the younger ones couldn't trust the 4 geriatics to be interesting. My impression of Carl has dropped considerably, and we now know that they targeted Lindsey because they perceived her to be the weakest of the four (as compared to, let's say, Brandon). Surely they knew that she would bounce back from being dehydrated and help them out physically? Perhaps Brandon is stronger overall (manual labour, etc.) than he's being edited to date, which led many of us at SB to guess that he'd be the one to get booted last week with a Samburu loss?

"Just die, Frank"
Lindsey Richter, Oct. 25/01

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-01, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "A couple of random thoughts"
Perhaps MB sends all the pre-jury booties on safari together, keep better control of things, keep them isolated but occupied, and it would be a sort of neat consolation prize for having not made it to the jury.

Someone commented on another thread awhile back that tourists visiting Africa do tend to lose weight anyway, just from the different environment, and a safari from the pre-jury booties would serve a dual purpose by putting them back into the game conditions as much as possible.

I don't know how well physically fit smoking-hobbiest Brandon may be, but Lindsey seems to be making destructively bad decisions, ruining her health (they seemed to have plenty of water in Samburu even if all of it did come from the water hole) and taking unnecessary risks (kicking that tree).

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Lurking 156 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-01, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lurking Click to send private message to Lurking Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: A couple of random thoughts"
If I'm not mistaken, Carl said on the Early Show that Silas told the elders that Lindsey and Brandon seemed to be the weaker members. Perhaps this means, at least from Silas's view, that Brandon didn't stand out as the weakest but wasn't seen as one of the more valuable members, either.

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-30-01, 11:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mavsfan Click to send private message to mavsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "SPOILER ?!?!!?"
Q: How did you envision things playing out?
A: The biggest frustration was we four adults felt like we could win if we just keep voting out the weakest person. It wasn't a backstabbing strategy. But the younger people didn't buy it. They didn't trust us. Boran as a tribe outmatched us, and we had to remain strong.

What's that again? "Boran as a tribe outmatched us..."!?!?

WHEN?

At the time he's voted out, it looks like Boran is in pretty sorry shape and Sambura could enter the merge with a 7-3 or 6-4 advantage. I think this has to be a slip that tells us WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN! I think his comment that "Boran as a tribe outmatched us, and we had to remain strong" tells us someone from Boran wins this thing, and he thinks it's because his team failed to remain strong/united.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-01, 11:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: SPOILER ?!?!!?"
I think what he meant was that Boran stumbled coming out of the gate but after awhile managed to form themselves into a good team, whereas Samburu started strong but team unity began disintigrating so that by the point of the ball-rolling competition they couldn't even come to a reasonable decision as to who should sit out the challenge. He may, of course, also be clueing us in (inadvertantly, of course) that Samburu has some more hard days ahead, but I don't think we can take that to the end-game at this time.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-01, 04:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Don't forget the water!"
Remember that despite being grossly dehydrated, Boran put up a very good fight in the two challenges that they lost and were not beaten by a large margin in either. Now that they are not hampered by the their self-inflicted dehydration penalty, Boran may go on a bit of a roll.

Regardless of who wins the RC, BOTH challenges are physical. If the IC has any sort of endurance component (eg:long running distances) the hydration issue will have huge significance!

In the ball rolling challenge, Boran utterly dominated... physical dominating was shown in the early lead they took. Domination in the form of better team work was shown by their ability to ensure that they didn't miss any of the slalom gates.

Carl is right! Boran is a better 'tribe'.

September 11, 2001

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-01, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Carl's Early Show interview"
As to weaker members,
Carl said (in his Chat or Kilborn, sorry can't recall) that the four OFA thought if they kept winning immunity that Kim and Brandon would join them. He omitted Silas and Lindsey, the latter unsurprising, Silas omission notable.

Somewhere else Carl said he never trusted Silas for a moment, but Frank thought he could (maybe the word of honor thing). Knowing that Silas approached them first puts such a different spin on Silas' behavior. Why did MB show him as a recruit rather than someone who set out to be a double agent (or a defector from GXA)?

I wonder if Silas' hand was forced by Lindsey overhearing--since he never meant to be a loyal OFA ally he had to come out and demonstrate he was through with the elders in order to regain trust?

Carl said something else odd on Kilborn, another comment that hinted Samburu's losing streak might continue--no more than a hint though. He said Samburu were doing really well and winning everything and then things went wrong (because they weren't working well together). Maybe two challenges lost in a row suffices to explain the comment (3, if Boran wins RC)--but I thought they must lose another member. Just a feeling I got.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •