The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

alleyb 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-19-01, 03:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail alleyb Click to send private message to alleyb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
Over the last week I started to speculate: what would Mark Burnett do if one tribe lost the first 4 Immunity Challenges? This would surely leave the show in a big lag of interest, as the 4 tribemembers left would be completely left out to dry, and would surely be voted off after the merge, even if they manage to get there. This would also create great logistical problems as to keeping the Challenges evenly matched, as the leading tribe would have to have half of its tribe sit out of at least some of the games. This would also create big problems for the leading team in the long run, as they would surely be almost out of food, having to feed 8 mouths for almost 2 weeks.

This leads me to a hypothesis...to keep the game interesting, Mark Burnett just might force the leading tribe to evict some of its own members to the weaker tribe. This would create a whole new series of possibilities that would keep interest in the show through the merge. This would shake things up across tribal lines so it would be hard to guess how it will come out in the end (as opposed to watching the 4 remaining tribemembers get the almost guaranteed boot).

Does anyone else think this might be a possible back-up plan for Mark Burnett?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 same wavelength sleeeve 10-19-01 1
   RE: same wavelength alleyb 10-19-01 2
 speculating -- the big twist in Sur... Slymmer 10-19-01 3
 DATE found!!!! weltek 10-19-01 4
 RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... wendyp 10-19-01 5
   RE: the twists weltek 10-19-01 6
   Big Twist - 3 camps after merge aredwine 10-19-01 9
       RE: Big Twist - 3 camps after merge samiam 10-19-01 12
 RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... Fast Eddie 10-19-01 7
   RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... janisella 10-19-01 8
       RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... dangerkitty 10-19-01 10
       RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... Fast Eddie 10-19-01 11
           RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... MandyB 10-19-01 13
               RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... NightScribe 10-19-01 14
               RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... TODDLJ 10-19-01 17
 What If? rudyismy daddy 10-19-01 15
 RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... wendyp 10-19-01 16
 The three tribe RUMOR sleeeve 10-20-01 18
   RE: The three tribe RUMOR dabo 10-20-01 19
   RE: The three tribe RUMOR tribephyl 10-20-01 20
 RE: Pure speculation -- the big twi... big idiot 10-20-01 21
 Just a random thought travelingbetty 10-20-01 22
   RE: Just a random thought Rudyrox 10-21-01 23
       RE: Just a random thought PepeLePew13 10-21-01 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-19-01, 03:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "same wavelength"
Ever since I saw tonight's show, I've been thinking the same thing.

I was gonna do a little research first, but I'm wondering when the first hint that "there's a big change, after the merge that will drastically affect alliances" quote first came out. If it was after the first few bootees, it makes me wonder if they realized that Boran was outmatched, and MB decided to arrange it so that they could make a comeback after the fact.

Since you brought it up first, I'm wondering... anyone wanna do the research for me??? When did the quote from Moonves *first* surface?

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

alleyb 98 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 04:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail alleyb Click to send private message to alleyb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: same wavelength"
I've been looking around, trying to find direct quotes on the "game twists" for this season. Here is what I have so far:

From the Cincinatti Post, dated 10/9/01:
"There will be some rule changes to discourage alliances, although producers aren't revealing just what they are. 'Do we try and throw some twists and turns in there? Absolutely,' Probst said. 'We have to continue to do that, just to make sure the survivors don't think they know the direction the game's going to go.'"

From Cox News Service, projo.com, dated 10/11/01:
"He confirms little, but will admit a few changes while saying nothing's really different. Asked about a rumored three-tribe configuration staged to somehow shake up emerging alliances, Burnett said only that there are 'some unique changes, interesting twists that will make you laugh.'"

That is all I've found so far...I know there was a slew of short articles on this topic, but most seem to be long gone online.

Slymmer 61 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 06:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Slymmer Click to send private message to Slymmer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "speculating -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
One change that was not such a twist was the simple change from eatting gross stuff to drinking it instead. To be honest with you after watching MB's Eco challenges I think he would love the ironic twist that feeding 8 people vs feeding 4 people would offer if each tribe was "given" an equal food drop. 4 become stronger then 8 as they get double rations. As we know from S2 Markie Mark with the exception of a few "set" type challenges is not above making them up on the fly to shall we say favor the weaker tribe and even things up a bit. Also I am sure he and Jeff Probed decide what the rewards are going to be to also incite emotion from the loosing tribe as well as give the boost needed to those needed.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-19-01, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "DATE found!!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-01 AT 10:41 AM (EST)

http://nydailynews.com/2001-07-25/New_York_Now/Television/a-119416.asp

They have the date of the statement by LM being released on July 24th. That would put the timeline of the statement just after TC 4.

Text of article:

The third "Survivor" competition, dubbed "Survivor: Africa" to denote its ongoing production location in Kenya, will launch Oct. 11 and end with a two-hour episode on Jan. 10, it was announced yesterday.

CBS chief executive Leslie Moonves said the series would consist of 13 installments, as opposed to 14 for the previous Australia-based series, which will leave four contestants still in contention for the $1 million prize on the show's final night.

CBS and executive producer Mark Burnett are considering the possibility of adding a so-called "catch-up" show — using clips from previous episodes — midway through the series' run, Moonves said.

The CBS executive said "Survivor: Africa" includes at least some participants who are overweight and older than 50. "There are a lot of people who aren't gorgeous."

The play of the game will be essentially the same, he said, but with a couple of twists.

"There will be something different, but you won't know about it until you're into the show for a little while," he said. "There are a few curve balls in it that I think will be pretty exciting."

Moonves declined to be more specific.

A fourth "Survivor," location and subtitle not yet disclosed, probably will premiere shortly after the Winter Olympics end in Salt Lake City this February, he said. Its conclusion would be timed to coincide with the end of the television season in late May.

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-19-01, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wendyp Click to send private message to wendyp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
Do the players know that new changes are being put in place. i.e. teh speculation of 3 camps post merger? Could the one change to make it interesting and much needed at the look of things, be that your votes premerger do not carry to post merger? This would force the teams to bond or make new alliances with the other team. I think if is more one team then the other the team in power will wipe out the weaker tema. BUT if they come in even it makes a bid deal coem first TC.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: the twists"
The twists and changes could be anything, but the important part is WHY they had to implement these. The Survivor format was working just fine, but last year, if the Michael fire incident hadn't happend, Kucha would've quickly dominated the finals, making a few episodes purely predictable. In S1, it was new to the viewers and we didn't mind the Pagonging.

Now, IF Boran lost 4 IC's in a row, surely MB would HAVE to implement a "twist" because he can't risk it continuing and having an all Samburu merged tribe.

So the point we are all looking at, is could it be that Boran looses the first 3 or 4 IC's? I think it's certainly looking that way. The fact that LM states that we'll notice some of the changes a few episodes in leads me to believe that in Ep. 4, Jiffy will announce a new twist.

aredwine 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-19-01, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aredwine Click to send private message to aredwine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Big Twist - 3 camps after merge"
I recall reading somewhere months ago that the big twist was going to be that 3 camps would be formed after the merger.

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Big Twist - 3 camps after merge"
Ok, this is total speculation on my part. I remember reading, previously, several posts that have voiced the rumors about a 3-tribe split after the merge, and merging at 9 instead of at 10, and splitting the teams that way. But that is just asking for obvious bootees, since most likely, there would be 2 of one tribe and one of the other in each new tribe. Gee, wonder which one gets voted out? Makes for bad TV, and we always have to keep that in mind with MB.

Maybe MB swaps team players at some point....or maybe, like the "shelter for food" deal that had to be made in Oz, Samburu has to trade tribe members to the other team in order to feed themselves. If, for example, Boran lost the next two IC's, they'd be down to four players, most likely Tom, Lex, Ethan, and Clarence (or one of the women). Samburu sends two of its players to the other tribe, so they are now Borans, and the tribes are equal in number again. But I don't know how this would work, either; if Boran lost AGAIN, they'd pretty much automatically vote off a Samburu. Also makes for too-predictable TV. Whatever he does, you can bet that its point will be to even the odds and to disrupt alliances.

How about a big game of "Red Rover?"

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-19-01, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
One change they should make is to give the newly merged group a better chance to get to know each other, breaking down the old tribal bonds, rather than going into an elimination almost right away.

Going into the merge unbalanced isn't necessarily a big problem except for 6-4. In 7-3 or 8-2, the larger group has nothing to fear from the smaller, so they can take care of unfinished business. They could eliminate two or even three of their own and still not feel threatened. And by that time, the old tribal loyalties would be pretty much gone.

Only in a 6-4 or 5-5 split would people stick with their tribe first - which is why I think they should allow a time lag.

But can they change the rules midstream? I thought that game shows were prohibited by law from doing that. (But then there was Love Cruise...)

janisella 698 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail janisella Click to send private message to janisella Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
MB could do something like give the losing tribe lots of extra food (or making the winning tribe's food "disappear") so they'd have more strength for the rest of the challenges, then make sure the challenges required endurance; something the winning tribe, who didn't have much food, wouldn't have.

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-19-01, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
Yes, and remember the Maze IC in S2 - it was a disadvantage for larger tribe to have to use all of their people. Future ICs could be designed to favor the smaller tribe, always, for just that reason. It seems that RCs let an extra member sit out, while ICs always require all members to play.

dangerkitty
Goddess of Words

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
The challenges should be designed to give each team an equal chance, regardless of how many players they have. But it seems unfair to me to change rules part way through to give the previous losers an advantage. If you win, you win. You shouldn't have it taken away. When kids play for fun, sometimes teams get rebalanced to ensure fun. But this is serious stuff.

MandyB 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-19-01, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MandyB Click to send private message to MandyB Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
Just an idea. Maybe post merger not everyone will get to vote at Tribal Council? If there are 10 players maybe the top 9 in a contest will get a vote and the other person doesn't. Or maybe the winner of the immunity challenge gets an extra vote?

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-19-01, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
You are all assuming that if Samburu goes into the merge at an advantage that they would vote along tribal lines and just pick off the Borans like last season and the season before. I suspect that the remaining members of the mall alliance will allign with the disadvantaged Borans and things will get really interesting. Really, what loyalty do they owe the oldsters of Samburu? They haven't even lost an IC, and yet they are being targeted by the older members. I think in order to save themselves, they will allign with the Borans.
I do not see how a three tribe split would work, and I don't think it's the twist they are planning.

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-19-01, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
I really can't see them changing the merge rules at this point. But...

Maybe this 3-tribe rumor came to be because when the merge happens, (say it's 6-4 Samburu/Boran), there are three sets of loyalties within the new tribe... 3 Mall Rat Samburus, 3 Geriatric Samburus, and 4 Borans.

After the fist Boran goes, then it's anybody's game, with three alliances of three.

That could make the voting more interesting.

rudyismy daddy 17 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-19-01, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rudyismy%20daddy Click to send private message to rudyismy%20daddy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "What If?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-01 AT 04:34 PM (EST)

What if the three tribe rumor is pre merger? everybody gets shaken up and then spit back out in new tribes. That would fit in right after the fourth person leaves, when there are twelve left. there wouldnt be much time to bond but it would make for some interesting television.

Come in a stranger, leave a little stranger

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-19-01, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wendyp Click to send private message to wendyp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
What if the 9 instead of 10 is because someone does get hurt ala Mike S2 and they decide to have TC anyways. Rumors floated that Kucha was given the option to go to merger tied to do an IC without Mike and someone would voted off. They supposeably went for merger tied due to the challenge being a water one and Rodger's lack of swimming skills. Can't remember what was found out about this rumor. (sorry memory goes some days)

How would this effect the tribes? Would it make the tribe that lost the injured person more determined? So was Kucha!?!?

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-20-01, 02:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "The three tribe RUMOR"
The three tribe thing was a rumor started and propagated by the press, thanks to poor reporting.

One reporter asked Moonves a series of questions to try to figure out what the change was. Moonves declined to answer any of them, and the reporter included one question in his article: "Will there be three tribes after the merger?" Answer: "No comment".

Futurizmo.com then somehow took this as fact, and reported that there would be three tribes. At this point, the rumor was somehow adopted by the spoiling community. Please let this rumor die NOW, cause there's no reason for us to waste time speculating how three tribes will interact, when this won't happen.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-01, 02:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The three tribe RUMOR"
Aw, Sleeeveee, but this was getting almost as fun as BlowsVivor! Anyway, I agree, all of this is speculation with very little basis that was (months ago) perpetuated by a site which is now listed everywhere as "an unreliable source." Let's makes honest mistakes, sure, they're bound to happen, but letting speculation run amuck is something you should take to the Bashers Forum (where the Basher Babes will help you have a hysterical fun time with it).

SMILES ARE FREE.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-01, 03:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The three tribe RUMOR"
AWwwww Thanks Sleeve...
It just wasn't making any sense to me...and I thought about it a lot.How would Three tribes play challenges and vote, who would they vote for.Anyone on the losing teams(too much like playing as one tribe) or do two teams win like first and second place. do they then vote for one on the losing tribe or two...How fun is that. They couldn't kick 2 people out per episode.Plus there are Federal regulations regarding Gameshows, which Survivor still is..legally.That states that you absolutely cannot somehow rig the outcome. Any(even slightly) unfair advantage to any member of the show is grounds for at least a million dollar law suit..see Stacy Stillman. MB will not try anything like that anymore.(teehee)
We all just need to embrace the two distinct tribes at Samburu and "who will F**K whom" when they merge at 6-4, 7-3, or even 8-2
Although this sounds boring it may just pay off for those who hope for alot of excitement.We all hoped Tina and Elizabeth(from S2) would just get rid of Keith already. And I did write this elsewhere but it is possible to be on the losing team and still win the game (see British version). As much as 5-5 sounds exciting to you all It's been doneand I would suggest that you rewatch S1 or S2.
In conclusion, MB is working with what he has been given. Even if the tribes go 8-2 at merge. His job is to make it worth watching. That's about all. Except for leading us down the wrong alleys...even if sometimes we do it to ourselves.

big idiot 193 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-20-01, 10:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail big%20idiot Click to send private message to big%20idiot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Pure speculation -- the big twist in Survivor game play?"
Here is my merge speculation:

MB will NOT make any major merge concept changes, he is FIRST committed to the game concept, SECOND to good TV, it is a married although imbalanced relationship. But he can create opportunities within the game concept that create good TV.

Say the merge is heading towards a 6-4 or more imbalanced situation. Letting alliances reform at a merge can be hindered by too many eyes/ears watching. So instead, have the Samburus draw straws, 3 are randomly selected to spend 1 day at Boran PRIOR to the merge. Chances are, one of those 3 will be a mall rat.

1) This creates a good opportunity for a mall rat to chat up an alliance with Boran without ALL the eyes and ears of Sambooka around.

2) This would be twice-cooked bad for the Sambookas, because it would create mistrust of the Sambooka(s) that went to visit Boran because maybe they created some new alliances.

just a thought.

travelingbetty 296 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-20-01, 10:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail travelingbetty Click to send private message to travelingbetty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Just a random thought"
I thought that it was interesting that there was emphasis in the last episode on the fact that they could not use the same player to sit out on the next challenge (i.e. Linda). If things get really drastic for Boran, then on the more head to head challenges that Samburu goes against them, the stronger players will have to sit out.

This could ultimately result in the weaker players on Samburu going against the stronger players of Boran, if they keep voting the way they have. I haven't completely thought out the dynamics, but to keep winning the team competitions you need your strongest and your smartest players as the competitions we have seen in the past are a mix of both.

Rudyrox 152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-21-01, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rudyrox Click to send private message to Rudyrox Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Just a random thought"
Actually my local CBS news reported that they are going to spilt it up into three tribes "for the first time on a Survivor show" the week before Survivor premiered. I hadn't given it much thought because I hadn't heard anything about it before and figured the anchors just didn't know what they were talking about.

I bet that is what happens here if Boran keeps losing Immunity.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-01, 03:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Just a random thought"
>Actually my local CBS news reported that they are going to
>spilt it up into three tribes "for the first time
>on a Survivor show" the week before Survivor premiered

>I bet that is what happens
>here if Boran keeps losing
>Immunity.

Fat chance on this ever happening... but let's say it does happen in the 1% chance it could happen -- it would likely occur after Ep.4 when there's 8 Samburus and 4 Borans and there'd be a split of the Samburus into two smaller tribes of 4 so that there's 3 equal-numbered tribes. Good luck on figuring how the ICs will work out in that setup.

"What's wrong with her?"
"Oh, it's gonna blow up, dude... in 5 minutes, dude. It's gonna hit the (bleep) ceiling."
"It is?"
"Oh yeah." (maniacal laughter)
Anthony (talking to Adrian) on LC, Oct. 9/01

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •