The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Pros vs. Joes."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-07-06, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Pros vs. Joes."
I watched the premiere last night, and all it did was remind me that Spike used to carry the demi-ancient American Gladiator reruns. That's what this show reminded me of: the return of AG, only things are set up so that the contestants have as little chance vs. the pros as possible.

Having seen some of those reruns: the old AG contests were designed to partially eliminate differences in strength and size, leveling the playing field. To appease the retired athletes who make up the core of Pros -- and stroke their egos a little more -- things seem set up to show up the contestants as much as possible. Wrestling with Goldberg? Covering Jerry Rice? Shooting better than Dennis Rodman -- wait. Cancel that last. Even so, the goal seems to be 'How close can you come to something less than total failure?', not 'I could beat them, couldn't I?'

The rotating core of Pros might make this kind of interesting -- gee, Jerry was a bigger DAW than we ever thought, and Dennis is really racking up the show count -- but it's hard to see this becoming a weekly interest unless they switch to Dodgeball and clobber Brian. Again.

And whoever the host is, he's really annoying.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Pros vs. Joes. byoffer 03-08-06 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-08-06, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Pros vs. Joes."
I hadn't heard of this show, but found a preview on the Spike website. I agree with your read that it is all about making the Joes look bad and stroking the Pros' egos. Mostly a "look how funny it is when Rodman out-rebounds some short guy", and "look how funny it is when Romanowski rips the head of someone who isn't mutantly large, and who isn't on his own team".

And the pros are all doing their specialty. What about football running against Rodman, and basketball rebounding against Rodman? Then it would be a test of athletic ability, not just trained specialty.

There will be a lot of Pro supporters on the sidelines laughing it up, and the only real interest will be to see if the Joes can get lucky 10% of the time.

I will look for it once, but likely pass.

At least in American Gladiator the contestants had a chance. And besides, who could forget the uniforms???
Who knew this existed?? http://www.agdomain.net/

Sig by me. Wish the rider was me!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •