The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tommy Lee Goes To College"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-16-05, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tommy Lee Goes To College"
This starts tonight in 15 minutes and from the promos it looks like it will be hilarious! It may just be entertaining, though, and not lend itself well to RTVW discussion...we'll see!

C'MON!!
It's Tommy Lee! In college! hahahahahahaha

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College DRONES 08-17-05 1
   RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College uglier than sarah w 08-17-05 3
   RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College skeetergirl87 08-31-05 15
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College Silvergirl1 08-17-05 2
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College weltek 08-17-05 4
   RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College uglier than sarah w 08-17-05 5
       RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College weltek 08-17-05 6
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College mmm_link 08-17-05 7
   RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College bullzeye 08-17-05 8
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College ginger 08-17-05 9
   RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College photokitty 08-17-05 10
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College Loree 08-18-05 11
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College Pepito 08-18-05 12
 RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College strid333 08-24-05 13
   RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College mmm_link 08-25-05 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DRONES 615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-17-05, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DRONES Click to send private message to DRONES Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
I was really concerned in the beginning with how they would portray my alma mater, but I came away pleasantly suprised.

DRONES

uglier than sarah w 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-17-05, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail uglier%20than%20sarah%20w Click to send private message to uglier%20than%20sarah%20w Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
I totally understand, Drones. I don't want them making any school look bad, but I was really impressed with the professors, chancellor, band directors, students, etc. making sure Tommy wasn't there to goof off...and Tommy seemed pretty sincere too.

I actually like the show and was laughing out loud at the band stuff...It's a good lead in for the Real World at 10pm. I'll watch it again!

skeetergirl87 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-31-05, 01:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail skeetergirl87 Click to send private message to skeetergirl87 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
A fellow former Husker?? Go Big Red!!

Actually, I now work on the UNL campus and the whole Tommy Lee thing was a HUGE deal when it was being filmed last fall and I'll tell you what I know about what really went on.

No, he was never actually accepted to UNL or enrolled in any classes - actually, I don't think he ever graduated from high school or got his GED. He was only on campus for two weeks or so and came in about a month into classes. I think they intentionally chose classes that he would struggle with, though he does seem to take them fairly seriously.

The scenes were all unscripted, though the people involved were told what the general topic of conversation should be and what should happen, but not exactly what to say. A guy that I work with coaches the rowing teams and he was approached by the producers to let Tommy try out (get it - Crew = Motely Crue). But, they wanted to switch the practice times since they practice at 6 am, which is too dark to film, so it didn't work out.

Since I have season FB tickets, I was at the game where he marched. However, if I remember correctly, he didn't really march with the band. The band came in and did their thing and then part of the drum line with Tommy came in from one of the sidelines and joined them and the drum line did a solo thing and Tommy left the field. He came out after halftime and did some messing around, like shooting the hot dog gun thingy, but didn't stay for the whole game.

Some of the scenes that look like they happened over a period of time were actually filmed at the same time. The scenes with his "advisor" were all shot back to back. The professor said he changed his tie a few times to try and make it look better, though Tommy wore the same thing for each shot.

Tommy didn't actually ever live in a dorm. They decorated a room off campus to look like a dorm room. I don't know if he actually lived with the roommate (Matt) or not, but Matt's a pretty big celebrity around here now. A radio station has been hosting viewing parties with him at one of the bars downtown.

The producers did a good job of trying to keep things as low-key as possible and I think the portrayal of UNL is pretty positive for the most part. A lot of people were worried that the show would make Nebraskans look like total hicks and focus on the whole culture shock aspect, but that hasn't really happened. It's kind of fun seeing all of these places that are really familiar on national TV.

Overall, I like the show. It's funny and I've come to really like Tommy Lee. He doesn't take himself too seriously and seems to be genuinely interested in the experience he's having and having a great time.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-17-05, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"

I can't help but wonder why Tommy is going to college when he didn't even know that his roommate's 3.5 grade average was good. He thought it was on a scale of 1 to 10.

He looks uncomfortable at band practice. Poor guy might have made millions on his recording career, but he's not cut out for the college band.

His great looking tutor was a little over the top. No, I guess if Pamela Anderson showed up, that would have been really funny, and over the top.

Handcrafted by RollDdice 2005

A/C is cool.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
Well, at least I liked it better than Big Brother. I thought it was quite bland & it really gave me no reason to continue tuning in.

I bet his roomie is the most popular guy on campus now.

uglier than sarah w 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-17-05, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail uglier%20than%20sarah%20w Click to send private message to uglier%20than%20sarah%20w Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
Guarantee that the kid didn't live with Tommy and that Tommy got his own room and the kid just came around to make it look like he lived there too.

I loved it when he asked what Pam was like...

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
You are probably right, although it's more fun to think they lived together like any other roomies.

mmm_link 426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-17-05, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mmm_link Click to send private message to mmm_link Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
I thought the show was a bit too scripted and came off as a bad sitcom pilot.

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
I agree - the only part that was real was his arrival and the genuine looks of suprise on the other students faces. I read somewhere that while he is attending - he has not actually registered, and even though his work will be reviewed and graded (for the benefit of us viewers), it will not actually count for anything. The same article also stated that the roomie thing was staged - he is not actually going to have a roommate.

Slow summer.....

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
I have to confess: I thought Tommy was fvcking cute. He was so happy he got the tree name right! And he gave full props to the Cornhusker (tee hee) band.

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-17-05, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
Yeah, he seems to genuinely want to do a good job, yet he is SO over his head! I really think he had no idea of what sort of work was involved. Hence, the ensuing wackiness...

It seems like they over did it with the intense classes. Is he taking Chemistry AND Physics? And English, where you have to read more than one book in a week? Hmm. In the New York Times, the critic was wondering what the show would have been like if they signed him up for classes that were relevant to his life, like Greek History (his mom is Greek) or music. Guess it wouldn't have been as funny.

I don't go for the skinny tatooed types, but he has a great smile! (He intensely licks his lips, a LOT. What's up with that?)

I actually felt a little sorry for Tommy when he was realizing just how difficult and different marching band drumming was going to be for him, because it would be really embarrassing to be cut. Just a little, though.

I was wondering about the roommate thing, too. I think it was done for laughs, but, for the sanity (a camera crew in his room at 5:30 am?) and grades of the other guy, yeah, I think Tommy's got his own room. What ever did happen to the other guy's stuff? It was probably still in his room, because the redecorated room was a different one.

Tommy starts his own fraternity later on, anyway, as he said on the morning shows.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
I watched and it amused me. But I have no idea why he took those classes. Why not something less Science based? But then they wanted to see him look completely dazed and confused.

I read in EW magazine that the one thing they were careful with was Tommy and the female students. They didn't want to get in trouble there. And that Tommy flew in female companions on the weekend to stay at hotels. He didn't want to go that long without sex and yet he didn't want to get in trouble either.

Pepito 587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-18-05, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pepito Click to send private message to Pepito Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
LAST EDITED ON 08-25-05 AT 05:35 PM (EST)

I thought this show was quite amusing, but a bit scripted.

Let's see, Tommy's taking Physics, Organic Chemistry, English, Horticulture, and Band. And it looks like he's going to going out for track, too, judging by the previews... That's one heavy class load. Especially for an adult returning to school. Why wouldn't his counselor have helped him out on that?

The hot tutor seems scripted, too, especially by the way she's been played up. The writers... er... producers.... probably interviewed all the available tutors and then choose her because they thought she would make good TV. And they were right, she does...

Then the night when she is supposed to come to Tommy's room, a much less attractive substitute shows up? What's with that? Just call and cancel if you can't make your appt.

Then we see Tommy studying a page in his horticulture book. Next day, teach calls on him (does teach ever call on ANYBODY else?...) and Tommy gets it right. Same leaf that he just happened to be studying last night. The writers... er, producers probably dog earred that page for Tommy to study. Horticulture teach cooperated and called on Tommy for that tree.

Anyway, I like the show anyway. Too bad the grades aren't for real, it was probably a problem with things like SATs, COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS, high school transcripts, etc. etc. -- Tommy either didn't want to take them or tried and blew it, thus eliminating his chances to be a credit-earing student. Too bad, he won't be able to take his hard-earned credits (we all know that he's going to pass in the end...) with him, should he choose to... transfer to an Ivy League school or some such...

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-24-05, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
So, I've watched all three episodes, so far. I've come to the conclusion that I like this show and I find it quite funny. But I also could see that if this show hits its fifth or sixth season, I would be completely tired of it.

The thing I like the most is that Tommy isn't totally disrespectful of the other students and profs. At least he is quiet in the lectures so the other students can learn. (That is something that you would not get out of Paris Hilton.)

Some of the sequences are hillarious. I loved the joining a sports team sequence. Tommy was so not in the competition, and the music playing in the background (from some of my favourite operas) just made it funnier.

The whole drum band is interesting to me, as well. Tommy is a great drummer, but he is alone on the stage with his rock band. He did suck when he had to be in synch with the other drummers but he showed work ethic (and the need to save his pride) to get better.

Is the show staged? Probably, but it is better than some of the other shows being put on the market.

Three is the perfect number.

mmm_link 426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-25-05, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mmm_link Click to send private message to mmm_link Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Tommy Lee Goes To College"
According to the "roommate" the other drummers practice over 20 hours a week but only get 1 credit. You knew Tommy was going to be given the chance to play in the end, one way or another.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •