The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-10-03, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Fox has a way of launching fairly good new shows and then cancelling them after about 6 episodes (e.g., Andy Richter), so I'm going to try not to bond with this one too much. Still, this is the best new comedy I've seen this season - they ran it after Malcolm in the Middle (still a v. good show, BTW) at 9:30 last night (Sunday). No idea if this is permanent time slot.

Has a bit of a "Larry Sanders" feel to it; narrarated by Ron Howard and starring a matured Jason Bateman, the guy who played Hank on Larry Sanders, Frank Oz, etc. I chuckled several times during the episode, which is saying a lot for a new show. Anyone else watching?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... grammarisgood 11-10-03 1
   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-10-03 3
 RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... Bebo 11-10-03 2
 RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... diamond 11-10-03 4
   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-10-03 5
 RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... sleeeve 11-10-03 6
   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... Draco Malfoy 11-11-03 8
   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... woeisme1 11-12-03 15
       RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-13-03 16
           RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... woeisme1 11-15-03 17
               RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-17-03 20
                   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... woeisme1 11-18-03 22
 RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... AugustGirl 11-11-03 7
   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-11-03 9
       RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... AugustGirl 11-11-03 10
           RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... sleeeve 11-12-03 11
               the brother with the Segway? moonbaby 11-12-03 13
               RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... AugustGirl 11-12-03 14
           RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-12-03 12
               RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-17-03 18
                   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... Bebo 11-17-03 19
                       RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 11-17-03 21
 Fox has ordered a full season Bebo 11-24-03 23
   RE: Fox has ordered a full season woeisme1 11-24-03 24
       RE: Fox has ordered a full season ginger 11-24-03 25
           RE: Fox has ordered a full season AugustGirl 11-24-03 26
               RE: Fox has ordered a full season ginger 12-08-03 27
                   I missed the latest episode moonbaby 12-11-03 28
                       RE: I missed the latest episode ginger 12-11-03 29
                   RE: Fox has ordered a full season EnglProf 12-18-03 31
 Golden Globe Nominee Bebo 12-18-03 30
   RE: Golden Globe Nominee ginger 12-18-03 32
       RE: Golden Globe Nominee kelli_blue 12-18-03 33
 RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... Bebo 01-12-04 34
   RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... ginger 01-12-04 35
       RE: Arrested Development-Catch it W... Bebo 01-12-04 36
           Anyone still watching? kelli_blue 04-07-04 37
               RE: Anyone still watching? ginger 04-08-04 38
 Renewed! Bebo 05-18-04 39
   YEAH! trshtvjnky 05-18-04 40
       RE: YEAH! ginger 05-18-04 41
           RE: YEAH! Estee 05-18-04 42

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

grammarisgood 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-10-03, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grammarisgood Click to send private message to grammarisgood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Watching - agree it's pretty amusing, but the whole storyline with Jason Bateman's son and his cousin freaks me out a bit...

I think they're underutilizing Portia DeRossi (if I screwed up her name, sorry) - she's a real scream when they give her good stuff to say.

My guess? You're right - FOX will kill it after 6 eps, and give us another hour of Joe Millionaire recaps. Ugh.

11-10-03, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Thank you for identifying Portia as Portia - we keep missing the credits and arguing about who she is. I suspect the George-Michael and Maebe romance will never come to fruition, so to speak - they're just trying to be cutting edge. I like the Howard voiceovers and Bateman's timing is good. My favorite is Dad in jail, though.

Maybe we should do some kind of deathwatch pool on the show?

Still miffed about Richter.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I haven't watched my tape of last night's episode yet (can't miss Alias!), but the first ep was funny. Hope for once Fox can avoid killing a promising show.

We really do have guidelines here. Believe it or not, the Guidelines make things more fun. Really.

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

11-10-03, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail diamond Click to send private message to diamond Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Crap! I watched the first episode but completely forgot it was on last night. But yeah, after what they did to Andy Richter, I would agree that it's wise not to get too attached.

I thought Andy Richter Controls the Universe was brilliant, and I was really sad how Fox didn't support it. It's amazing how some of the worst shows can be so successful, and the good, smart ones fail.

(Anybody ever see the show Action with Jay Mohr? Yet another brilliant show that got cancelled right away.)

11-10-03, 06:57 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I think I remember Action. What I don't understand is why shows like Andy Richter die so fast and other shows (hope not a sacred cow) like "JAG" run forever with no apparent fan base. At least, not apparent to me.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-10-03, 08:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I've been enjoying this show, as well.

"Arrested Development" is, in fact, in it's scheduled timeslot.

As soon as new episodes are ready, Fox plans to fill the 8:30-9 timeslot with tried and true "Bernie Mac"

Then, look for "Oliver Beene" to return to Fox in the Sunday 7-7:30 timeslot once the football season comes to a close.

Half-hour mid-season replacements "The Ortegas (Cheech Marin)" and "Cracking Up (Molly Shannon)" are already in production to replace any slack in the Fox schedule...

It should be pointed out that Fox's only NEW half-hour series this season are "Arrested Dev.", "Luis", and "Minute with Stan Hooper", so there is enough give and take in the Fox lineup for two of these shows to fail within the first few months.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-03, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
And of course, if all else fails, they'll just give us yet another Simpsons re-run. I love the Simpsons, but FUX has really overkilled it. I swear some of last season's episodes ran 5 times in prime time.

Who needs syndication?

"Why is my thing on fire?"-Karmic Dharma
Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:299.5 Loss To Date:-39.5

woeisme1 4081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-12-03, 11:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
You are so on top of things Sleeve!!

Minute with Stan Hooper is a keeper too that will probably go away too soon. But then, I like Norm Macdonald. He cracks me up almost as much as AKIM and Misto. (That's a compliment to you ladies)

Created by the Godlike hands of IceCat

If you need me you can find me --fantasizing about my reality so I can realize my fantasy......

I was going to refuse to post to you but I realized that if I didn't tell you, how would you know I was ignoring you?--Pythonfan

11-13-03, 04:30 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I had high hopes for Minute With Stan. But it's weird -- it's Newhart, only they replaced Bob with Norm!

Any minute now Mrs. Norm will put on a really fuzzy sweater...

11-15-03, 06:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Hahahaha

Yeah I guess it is but without Daryl and Daryl. And I am still enjoying it but then I liked Newhart too.

That's right, huh? I forgot about the sweaters.
Woe thinks Ginger is so funny

I was going to refuse to post to you but I realized that if I didn't tell you, how would you know I was ignoring you?--Pythonfan

11-17-03, 06:09 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Hijacking me own thresd to remark that the finale of "Newhart" was one of the most brilliant series enders I have ever seen.

"Stan Hooper" kind of joked about its resemblance to Newhart because Norm's character assumed the guys who ran the diner were brothers (like L, L and D). They were revealed to be husband and husband. That made me chuckle. But other than that, the show is disappointing me.

The mitzvah that is my signpic courtesy the genius that is our own JSlice. Such a nice girl! Now, have some more borscht.

11-18-03, 00:00 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I agree with your assessment of the Newhart finale.

>They were revealed to be husband and husband. That made me chuckle.

I missed the very first show so didn't know this. Thank you for letting me know.

I didn't even catch the diner connection. DUH

I still like it but since it is on the same time as ED it depends what is happening in ED whether I switch the channel or not. I do at least during commercials.

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-03, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Gaaaa! I keep forgetting to watch this! What is wrong with me?

I hereby swear/promise/vow to tape AD right now! It will not be cancelled because of me. Swear! Pinky swear, even.

11-11-03, 12:32 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I hope you find it and like it. It is not brilliant by any means (at least, not yet, but pilot episodes are rarely good; usually a show has to "gel" before it really gets good) but is competant and occasionally funny, unlike 9/10 sitcoms now.

And remember, there's always money in the banana stand.

11-11-03, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
"And remember, there's always money in the banana stand."

And that will make sense as soon as I watch the show?

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-12-03, 02:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
It would have if you watched the last episode. The father kept saying that line (to son who is trying to get family out of multimillion dollar debt). Son finally decides that the best way to get money out of the stand isn't to keep selling bananas, but to torch the stand for the insurance money. Turns out that what the father meant by "there's always money in the banana stand" is "$250K in cash is hidden in secret panels in the walls in the banana stand".

...oh yeah... and they forgot to send in the insurance check before burning the stand to the ground.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

11-12-03, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "the brother with the Segway?"
The best! What else is he from? He looked really familiar!

11-12-03, 09:59 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
OMH! That is so hilarious. I love it already and I haven't watched it yet.

I'll make sure to tune in this week.

11-12-03, 03:27 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Possibly.

11-17-03, 12:51 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Okay, third episode watched and still liking show. You'll probably read about it being axed any day now because I am the kiss of death for shows like this.

11-17-03, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Me too. Mr. B and I made sure we watched it, since Alias wasn't on.

Now, where can I get me one of those Cornballers?

We really do have guidelines here. Believe it or not, the Guidelines make things more fun. Really.

11-17-03, 06:13 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Just be careful-those things get hot!

I'm liking the Corky from "Waiting for Guffman"/Ed Flandersesque actor guy (keep thinking he's Frank Oz but everyone tells me he's not). And every time they say the name, "George Michael", I crack up.

Also liked the magician brother's rendition of "Cold As Ice."

Doesn't Jessica Walter look good? I think she's about 70...

The mitzvah that is my signpic courtesy the genius that is our own JSlice. Such a nice girl! Now, have some more borscht.

11-24-03, 11:50 AM (EST)
23. "Fox has ordered a full season"
TV Guide Online reports that Fox has ordered a full season of episodes, even though the ratings aren't that great. Woohoo!

11-24-03, 01:55 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Fox has ordered a full season"
That is excellent news Bebo, thank you for sharing it!!
I was worried they would yank it off and leave us all hanging.

Happy Hawaiian Thanksgiving

11-24-03, 02:20 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Fox has ordered a full season"
YAY! I actually look forward to this show during the week, now. (Insert William Shatner intonation here): Must Not Get .... Too Attached To Show .. Can Still Be Killed by FOX anytime...

Liza Minelli? Spikey brown Liza Minelli?

And the scene where the brother wanted to jump out of jail on top of Jason Bateman (who kept moving his bike)?

All well and good. Keep fingers crossed.

11-24-03, 06:33 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Fox has ordered a full season"
I've actually watched two episodes! I really like it.

Glad to hear it's sticking around for a bit.

12-08-03, 03:34 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Fox has ordered a full season"
Bumping to keep show support alive and because last night's scene where poor George Michael develops a prison phobia because as a small child he accidentally watches "Oz" on HBO, thinking it will be the MGM classic with Judy Garland, was very very funny.

Note, also, that the "Scenes from Next Week" have no bearing on what actually takes place next week.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-03, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "I missed the latest episode "
Wah! Tell me more, please, ginger?

12-11-03, 03:44 PM (EST)
29. "RE: I missed the latest episode "
Unfortunately, this is a funny enough nonreality show that I can't do autosummary thing. There isn't anything you missed that will make you lost next week - the plot is really just an excuse for the dialogue, I think...

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-18-03, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Fox has ordered a full season"
Note, also, that the "Scenes from Next Week" have no bearing on what actually takes place next week.

My husband points this out every week-- the "next time on Arrested Development" promos are just each show's epilogue-- and are just more jokes.

So, keeping this in mind-- that it's my husband that points this out every week--I thought it was really funny when we were watching a show on tape from two weeks ago and when they showed the promo, he got this stricken look on his face and exclaims "Oh no, we missed one!"

I guess the trick is subtle-- even for those in the know.

12-18-03, 11:08 AM (EST)
30. "Golden Globe Nominee"
Announcements were this morning - it's up for Best Comedy.

I am the embodiement of snarky, sarcastic and smart. I am also the S7 Anti-Bootee co-champion!

12-18-03, 06:55 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Golden Globe Nominee"
Very good news. Have never cared an iota about the GGlobes but am now appreciative of them.

kelli_blue 301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-18-03, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kelli_blue Click to send private message to kelli_blue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Golden Globe Nominee"
I was happy to see Arrested Development up for Best Comedy. I think it's one of the best new shows this season. Now I have a reason to look forward to Sunday nights!

01-12-04, 10:04 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
So, I am the only one fighting the urge to sing "Big Yellow Joint" today?

Probably.

I am the embodiement of snarky, sarcastic and smart. I am also the S7 Anti-Bootee co-champion!

01-12-04, 06:50 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
Sing it, or smoke it?

Was teenager in 1970; what can I say?

01-12-04, 07:29 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Arrested Development-Catch it While You Can"
I was ROFL when George Michael said he recognized his choir teacher among the hot cops.

kelli_blue 301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-07-04, 09:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kelli_blue Click to send private message to kelli_blue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "Anyone still watching?"
I've been watching faithfully every Sunday and am keeping my fingers crossed that this BRILLIANTLY funny show sticks around for a second season.
I think it's the best new show in a long time.

04-08-04, 02:41 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Anyone still watching?"
Totally agree. Wish they'd move away from the slots opposite Sopranos, though (my VCR got stolen a couple of weeks ago).

This Sunday: CAGE DANCING!

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

05-18-04, 01:50 PM (EST)
39. "Renewed!"
WOOHOO!!!!!!! TV Guide Online reports that Arrested Development has been renewed. Their report is based on news from Variety.

YEAH!!!!!!

Have whip, will travel.

trshtvjnky 197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-18-04, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trshtvjnky Click to send private message to trshtvjnky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "YEAH!"
When I saw this thread bumped up to the top, the first thing I thought was, oh it's been cancelled!! I absolutely LOVE this show! Yippie!

And now after that little celebration, I must go back to work with my cat-like prowess.

05-18-04, 06:06 PM (EST)
41. "RE: YEAH!"

YAAY! Now if they could move to Monday or something...

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: YEAH!"
FOX has done something right. Alert the media.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •