The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-18-05, 07:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
Tonight's the night! Which of the five gets to ride the full boat to college?

Let's keep discussion on this thread so that West Coast peeps can hang on and read about other shows without having this one spoiled for them. Thanks folks.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Kitty VanCat 07-18-05 1
   RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... volsfan 07-18-05 2
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Tahj 07-18-05 3
   RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Reality432423 07-19-05 4
       RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... califan 07-19-05 6
 Goodbye, The Scholar, I'll miss yo... RealityMom 07-19-05 5
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Fox41 07-19-05 7
   RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Tahj 07-19-05 8
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Pamselfish 07-19-05 9
   RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Bebo 07-19-05 10
       RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Pamselfish 07-19-05 20
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Pretty_Kitty 07-19-05 11
   RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Fox41 07-19-05 13
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Cygnus X1 07-19-05 12
 RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Tahj 07-19-05 14
   RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... bystander 07-19-05 17
       RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Tahj 07-19-05 19
           RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion T... Cygnus X1 07-27-05 22
 What's the cost of Harvard & Yale? bystander 07-19-05 15
   RE: What's the cost of Harvard & Ya... Bebo 07-19-05 16
       RE: What's the cost of Harvard & Ya... bystander 07-19-05 18
 Ideas for the next (guffaw) Scholar Cygnus X1 07-27-05 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Kitty VanCat 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-18-05, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kitty%20VanCat Click to send private message to Kitty%20VanCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I'm really interested to see how the final decision is made. Does anyone know how the final show will go down?

BTW - My favorite is Scot (I think that's his name), the home-schooled kid.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

07-18-05, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I wanted Scot to win too!

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-18-05, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I'm really glad Melissa won. I really think she stood out from the beginning. She always was the strongest and most level headed.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Reality432423 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-19-05, 00:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Reality432423 Click to send private message to Reality432423 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I hated Melissa, she did not deserve to win. Out of any of the final five they picked her, the only one I hated. I think Melissa is too safe, too phoney and too much of a hyocrite. Too bad this show wasn't too bad.

The bad ending left a bad taste in my mouth, just like Wickedly Perfect (Wickedly Perfect was the worst ending, but this was close).

califan 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-19-05, 02:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail califan Click to send private message to califan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
me too! im glad i wasnt the only one not taken in by the girl. shethought way too much of herself.

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-19-05, 01:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Goodbye, The Scholar, I'll miss you!"
I'll say it flat out- I really liked this show! Unfortunately, everything now is in the past tense. I thought the final selection process was very clever. When I speculated on what the final would entail, I was sure that there would be interviews but I thought the questions were thought-provoking and yielded some unexpected answers. I do, however, think that these kids "will" have more important ones to answer in the future. "Do you take this man/woman..." is just the first one that comes to mind.
I has assumed that the surprise visitors would be the families (once again, my Survivor mentality limited my range) so I was completely surprised to see that teachers and mentors had come to speak on each student's behalf.
When the producers said that they hoped to duplicate the college application process, I didn't realize that they meant it so literally. When each student chose another one to speak for him/her and each mentor also spoke, it was like getting dream references. I cried when I heard each student speak so eloquently for another teammate. I thought Jeremy did a great job, particularly, when he later said he hoped that Amari would win. Then, when each candidate spoke, it was like a personal essay. In fact, I think that Amari(who I find very charming) may have used the cooking analogy in an actual essay because it was something that I think would have required more time to formulate than she had.
Scot's speech was very passionate but it also had a prior scripted feel to it. Until this evening, I had hoped that Scot would win but to be honest, I thought he was a little overwhelming tonight. I admire his idealism but his answers felt like "Miss America" ones- only he seemed to think that he, alone, would bring world peace. I know that Davis wants to be president but tonight it seemed as if Scot was reaching much higher than that!
Melissa stood out from the beginning (and her impromptu speech may have helped) but all of these kids can be proud of themselves. They worked very well, both together and individually. They didn't let the competition overwhelm their humanity. Each school they attend is very lucky to have them. Maybe they should make this show required viewing in every high school curriculum. It's probably the only chance it has.

Fox41 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-19-05, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fox41 Click to send private message to Fox41 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
LAST EDITED ON 07-19-05 AT 10:49 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 07-19-05 AT 10:47 AM (EST)

I wanted Melissa to win. I'm really happy for her.
This show is great! I hope that season two is in
the works. I love watching intelligent teenagers
on TV.

07-19-05, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I love watching intelligent teenagers
on TV.

Quite refreshing, isn't it, from all the Real World pablum.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Pamselfish 106 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Pamselfish Click to send private message to Pamselfish Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I thought it was cool at the end when they listed the schools that the kids were choosing to go. Most impressive. When they came to Gerald's name, I didn't see a school mentioned. Did I blink and miss it, or wasn't one lidted for him? If there was one, could someone please tell me which one it was?

Thanks

07-19-05, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
Gerald's going to the University of North Texas.

Loved the look on his face when he found out they won $20,000.

Pamselfish 106 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-05, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pamselfish Click to send private message to Pamselfish Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
Thank You! Yeah - he was a trip. He seemed like a genuinely good guy!

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-19-05, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I was really really rooting for Amari but I'm not disapointed that Melissa won I figured she would this was a really good show I'm glad there was a lot of diversity too I wouldnt have watched if they were all white middle class kids (not that theres anything wrong with that)

Fox41 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-19-05, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fox41 Click to send private message to Fox41 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
>I'm
>glad there was a lot
>of diversity too I wouldnt
>have watched if they were
>all white middle class kids
>(not that theres anything wrong
>with that)

YES. It was great to see the diversity. Words can't express my joy when I saw three intelligent African American kids on this show. That was extremely refreshing. They didn't rap. They didn't speak ebonics. The "ghetto" wasn't glamorized. I totally loved this show, and I'm SO looking forward to season two!

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-05, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I missed it because of work, and because of some low-level catastrophes around the house, I didn't get to set my VCR. (No, you do NOT have to send me a tape of the finale! And the boards don't like that sort of thing anyway.)

But maybe my editing-watching skills are getting better (or BunimMurrayMartinCarseyWernerSearsRoebuckPierceFenner made it so blatantly obvious) in that I knew Melissa was going to win. I wanted Scot, but it sounds like he didn't do too well for himself.

Still, none of the finalists is leaving with less than $50K, and no one is going home empty-handed. Nice idea for a show, but do it better next time (like there'll BE an next time), mmmkay?

I'm looking forward to Zipperhead's summary.

Okay, I lay money that, of them all, Davis or Alyssa winds up on another show next.

07-19-05, 01:38 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
So, can anyone explain to me why Melissa, with her $300,000 is going to Pomona College??!

Moves courtesy of Syren

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-19-05, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
I pulled this info off Pomona's website:

Tuition for 2005-06: $29,650
Room and board for 2005-06: $10,851
Fees: $273
Total: $40,774

Not quite spending every dollar she can but its not too shabby.

07-19-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
So, for four years thats around 160,000 plus. Just wondered, since most of the others are going to pretty high-powered schools. I thought it might have a particular specialty that she's interested in.

Moves courtesy of Syren

07-27-05, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: The Scholar Finale Discussion Thread"
Perhaps this article explains it:

Pomona is one of only a handful of institutions in the nation committed to need-blind admissions and meeting the full financial need of every student accepted to the college. This ensures that the best students can attend, regardless of financial family income.

{...}On a trip to check out the college, as part of Pomona's Minority Student Action Program, "it felt so right," {Melissa Hanna} said. "I knew this was going to be a place where I fit in." Since Hanna attended a private high school, she liked the idea of attending a small college with caring faculty and administrators.

{...} Hanna said she has been getting some flack on the show's Internet message board for choosing a college relatively close to home, with people suggesting she should go see the world. "As far as I'm concerned, the world is right here in Southern California," she said. "It doesn't get any better here ... having all these resources."

ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE: Pomona College, founded in 1887, is located in Claremont, Calif. The high quality education it provides is marked by small classes, close relationships between students and faculty, a range of opportunities for student research, and more than a hundred of events and speakers each year. For the last two years, Princeton Review has determined Pomona's students to be the nation's happiest.

Seems like she was going there anyway.

07-19-05, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "What's the cost of Harvard & Yale?"
OK so with $20,000 you can now go to Harvard & Yale when you couldn't before? Really? I thought these kids needed to win the money to attend college. I mean the big $$, not the $20 or $50K. They're parents (at least some of them) must have some if they can still afford Harvard & Yale even if they didn't win the grand prize. Geeze. Just curious what that would actually cost?

Being a State U graduate and having worked to pay for it myself I cannot relate!

07-19-05, 02:04 PM (EST)
16. "RE: What's the cost of Harvard & Yale?"
They mentioned before they listed the schools that the contestants were all able to secure enough grants, scholarships, and financial aid to be able to go to the colleges of their choice. This show was not the only source of tuition money for them.

07-19-05, 02:08 PM (EST)
18. "RE: What's the cost of Harvard & Yale?"
Ahhh, I missed that important fact. Thanks Bebo!

07-27-05, 08:22 PM (EST)
21. "Ideas for the next (guffaw) Scholar"
Brought to you from the tongue of InsideHigherEd.com's Donald E. Heller, planted firmly inside his cheek.

I like his idea of Larry Summers and Cornel West on the committee.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •