The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Controversy over Simon's Bird"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-24-04, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Controversy over Simon's Bird"
The following is definitely for adults...

Always on the cusp Drudge digs up a tid-bit.

Seems Simon has found another way to get revenge on Paula. At the same time testing the limits of the FCC.

Article text:
'AMERICAN IDOL' PRODUCERS DEBATE SIMON 'ONE FINGER SALUTE'; FOX EXECUTIVES QUESTION ON-AIR GESTURE

The nation's top TV show is at the center of a fresh decency debate after AMERICAN IDOL judge Simon Cowell gestured a one finger salute during Tuesday night's broadcast from Hollywood.

The obscene gesture came during a heated exchange with fellow judge Paula Abdul. Cowell held his middle finger to his cheek as Abdul railed against comments made about a contestant.

The image came close to being cut, a top FOX executive tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

"We were not sure he was doing what he was doing, quite frankly," the source explained. "It appeared he was simply resting his head on his middle finger, but I now think we made a mistake, the gesture should not have aired."

The top FOX source says flipping the middle finger would not conform to the network's decency standards.

IDOL producers have asked Cowell to refrain from using the provocative pose in the future.

FOX airs IDOL with a slight broadcast delay live in eastern and central time zones.

Developing...

Boy these are some strange times. Huh, folks?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 yes or no? qwertypie 03-24-04 1
   RE: yes or no? EnglProf 03-24-04 2
       No Angelfood 03-24-04 3
           RE: No Chrissy gal 03-25-04 9
               RE: No Breezy 03-25-04 11
                   RE: No dangerkitty 03-25-04 13
       RE: yes or no? lyrker 03-24-04 4
   RE: yes or no? Mistral 03-24-04 5
       RE: yes or no? brvnkrz 03-24-04 6
           RE: yes or no? brvnkrz 03-24-04 7
               RE: yes or no? IreneMcGee 03-25-04 8
                   RE: yes or no? IreneMcGee 03-25-04 10
                       RE: yes or no? ginger 03-25-04 12
                       RE: yes or no? ValleyGirl 03-25-04 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 04:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "yes or no?"
I vote yes.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-24-04, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: yes or no?"
I completely saw Simon doing this last night and wondered if it was intentional. Brits don't use the same hand gesture, of course, but that doesn't mean that Simon wasn't playing "when in Rome."

I was pretty sure he was doing it when Ryan was talking to a contestant though, so I connected it more to a reaction of his to Ryan than to something Paula had said.

In any case, give it a rest, FCC. If it isn't an overt action, kids aren't going to recognize it, and if kids do recognize the gesture the they've seen it before. So what?? I can't stand this mountain-out-of-molehills hoopla.

Angelfood 2114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-24-04, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Angelfood Click to send private message to Angelfood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "No"
I saw it done when he was talking to the contestant too (not to Paula tho).

He had it holding up his cheek, and then adjusted so his first finger took its place (quite oblivious it seemed), so I judged that it was unintentional.

And I know lots of people who point and hold their faces/chins with it, NOT on purpose. They don't notice. I usually notice, but they apparently can't help it.

I doubt it meant anything.
He wouldn't do anything that stupid to get kicked off.

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-25-04, 01:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: No"
I guess you and I are alone on this one Angelfood. I've seen Simon do this numerous times before in previous seasons. I don't think it is intentional.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-04, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: No"
I'll join you two. I don't think he meant anything by it and had no idea which finger he had. He always has a finger by his face.

Just say no to trolls.

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-25-04, 06:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: No"
I'm with you on the unintentional. This definitely can fall into that category, and frankly it just doesn't seem like Simon's style to me - he is nothing if not direct. A sneaky bird, on TV and in front of a live audience, just doesn't fit what I've seen of him. He's not threatened by the other's jawing at him, and he gets his point across.

lyrker 203 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-24-04, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lyrker Click to send private message to lyrker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: yes or no?"
Considering World Idol cast Simon as the representative for America and Simon's been plugging the show biz in America for a few years now... I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing with that finger and was relying on the fact that he DOES do it without intention to cover the deliberateness of it.

Not that I care. I thought it was funny. Better than almost anything else on last night's show.

"Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be."
- Jeremy Schwartz

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-24-04, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: yes or no?"
Yes.

I saw it too, but I thought it was aimed at Fantasia after their little exchange. I also thought that it was what rattled her when she was talking to Ryan.

But I also notice he did it again while talking to John Stevens, then moved so that it was his index finger resting on his cheek.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: yes or no?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-24-04 AT 10:30 PM (EST)

I too thought he was doing it towards Fantasia.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: yes or no?"
I thought there was no way that he could be doing what I thought he was doing though. Bad Simon.

IreneMcGee 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-25-04, 00:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IreneMcGee Click to send private message to IreneMcGee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: yes or no?"
yes of course, and anyone who says otherwise pretty much just wants to create a fantasy land

and it was at Fantasia and paula i thought

IreneMcGee 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-25-04, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IreneMcGee Click to send private message to IreneMcGee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: yes or no?"
very clearly a stylized bird

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-04, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: yes or no?"
My daughter does it more subtly.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-25-04, 07:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: yes or no?"
I think Simon was going for either his nose or ear and missed!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •