The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fox laying off reality..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-17-05, 06:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fox laying off reality..."
Fox will be revamping their schedule in the future, saying that reality shows are not doing well.

Story from Yahoo

Who's Your Daddy had disappointing ratings in it's first showing. The article states:

Five other "Who's Your Daddy" episodes already filmed will be shelved, Fox entertainment president Gail Berman said Monday.

Ummmm... Estee??? Do you know anything about this?

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Fox laying off reality... SurvivorBlows 01-17-05 1
   RE: Fox laying off reality... dramamama 01-20-05 2
       RE: Fox laying off reality... Smooth23 01-22-05 4
           write it up dramamama 01-22-05 6
   RE: Fox laying off reality... munson 01-20-05 3
   RE: Fox laying off reality... volsfan 01-22-05 5
       RE: Fox laying off reality... SurvivorBlows 01-27-05 7
 RE: Fox laying off reality... HistoryDetective 01-28-05 8
   RE: Fox laying off reality... seahorse 02-01-05 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-05, 10:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-05 AT 05:05 PM (EST)

Fox's problem isn't that it's airing reality shows, it's 1) that it's airing crappy reality shows, 2) not drawing viewers to any of its shows. Blaming reality for its problems is simply a convenient excuse that will play well with the TV critics (most of whom have hated reality for years and been predicting its death annually.)

Prior to last week's "24" premiere, Fox's highest ranking program of the season was "The Simpsons," which has averaged 9.7 million viewers... and ranks #41 in the season-to-date rankings. In fact, last Monday's "24" broadcast marked the first time ALL SEASON that a non-sports Fox TV show won its time period.

Its next ranked shows are "Nanny 911" at #59, "Trading Spouses" at #60, "Cops" at #69. "The Swan 2" at #70, "King Of The Hill" at #75, "Malcolm In The Middle" at #78, and its highly touted "House" and "The O.C." tied for #80 (with 6.5 million viewers each.)

To put that in some perspective, non-Fox reality shows that rank above Fox's highest ranked show of the season include "Survivor" (#4), "The Apprentice" (#10), "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (#15), "The Amazing Race 5" (#21), "The Amazing Race 6" (#29), "Fear Factor" (#32), and "Wife Swap" and "The Biggest Loser" (tied for #38, with an average of 10.0 million viewers).

Yes, these are total viewers numbers and not Adults 18-49 rankings, but the fact is that the numbers don't get much better for Fox there (but they do in fact, get better for most of the non-Fox reality shows mentioned above.) The fact remains that Fox's season doesn't suck just because its aired a lot of bad reality shows, it also sucks because its scripted shows have sucked in the ratings.

"House" -- a show the network is crowing about -- is managing only 6.5 million viewers. "Malcolm" is averaging 6.75 million. The critically-lauded "Arrested Development" is doing a pitiful 6.1 million to rank 78th.

Based on those numbers, other than bogus spin, how is "House" deemed a hit while "The Swan2" gets its season shortened so that Fox can get it off the air a week sooner?

"Quintuplets" averages 5.2 million to place 94th -- fewer viewers than NBC's canceled "Last Comic Standing 3" -- yet it gets a full season order? "That 70's Show" -- a show that it just announced today that it's renewing -- ranks #87 for the season, with an average of 6.2 million viewers. And Fox's reality shows are the reason its tanking in the ratings???

If reality shows themselves are the problem, then why, despite airing in the 10PM hour that features much lower viewership, is ABC's "Wife Swap" averaging 10 million viewers and ranking 38th for the season while Fox's "Trading Spouses" is averaging 7.7 million viewers and placing 60th? Could the production values and execution of the reality concept -- rather than the simple fact that the show is a reality show -- also be a factor in a show's success or failure? According to Fox, apparently not.

Yes, Fox's reality shows have delivered some bad numbers, but the bigger problem for Fox isn't that some six or eight episode reality series is delivering bad numbers for the network -- it's the sad reality that it only has six of the Top 75 shows... and that despite how "bad" reality is doing for them, NOT ONE of its top six shows is a live-action scripted program (two are animated series and the other four are those same reality shows it's panning.)

And unfortunately for Fox, even if they dump all the reality shows on their schedule, that reality isn't going to go away.

EDITED TO FIX the fact that "Center Of The Universe," which ranked 46th in the season rankings, is apparently not a FOX show but in fact a CBS show -- a fact, never having watched the show, I only realized when CBS announced yesterday (Friday) that it was canceling the series (a situation that illustrates how bad Fox's problems are... here CBS is canceling series that rank ahead of all but a couple of Fox's shows in the ratings... and well ahead of its highest rated live-action scripted show.)

-SB

dramamama 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-20-05, 05:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dramamama Click to send private message to dramamama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
Great analysis. I think Fox has become like a seedy old carnival ground--wasted, tired, yesterday's business. It's what happens when you spend all your effort going for the cheap tricks. The bearded lady needs a shave. Or a wax.

Fox needs an extreme makeover: one that takes some real risks with idea and quality, not just cheesy crap like Who's Your Daddy? What I can never understand is how they'll squander money on that drivel but not risk a little on something potentially great and different: what's to lose that they ain't already losing?

Smooth23 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-22-05, 01:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Smooth23 Click to send private message to Smooth23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
How about a reality show where the people who come up with show ideas(whatever you call the people) all compete to get a season of their show aired on fox? I'd watch

dramamama 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-22-05, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dramamama Click to send private message to dramamama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "write it up"
That is a great idea! You should try to sell it to them. And that's not a joke, even though it's funny. Whoa.

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-20-05, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
Our Webby. He a smart guy!

The poor quality of Fox's reality offerings are reflected in the poor ratings. It's as simple as that. But what do you expect from a network that founded it's reality programming division with low brow, LCD stuff like Temptation Island and Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-05, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
Webby, I agree with what you are saying but one other thing that goes into consideration with me is the fact that FOX just starts pulling shows at the drop of a hat. I get so put out when they give us 3-4 shows in a six show format and pull it or put it on a Friday night time slot and pull it after one episode due to poor ratings. When I see FOX with a new reality show, I watch with caution and maybe others are turned-off by this as welll.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
I agree folks are starting to get gunshy about new Fox reailty shows due to their increasingly commitmentphobic scheduling practices. The interesting thing is that other than Idol and Simple Life, they probably only have one other reality show scheduled between now and June (an American adaptation of the UK's Hell's Kitchen series) so at least they have some time to get it out of their system

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 10:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
I don't care if Fox never shows a new reality series again - but make them finish those seasons that they have already started. I endured enough hours of Fat Boss that I deserve to know how it ended!

a sig by syren
Donald Trump puts the ass in class.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

02-01-05, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Fox laying off reality..."
LAST EDITED ON 02-01-05 AT 11:21 PM (EST)

No doubt, they should but I doubt that they are listening. They are hurting themselves in the long run with credibility, though.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •