The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tax Time"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-05-10, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tax Time"
LAST EDITED ON 03-05-10 AT 08:36 PM (EST)

As usual I'm procrastinating.
I finally got around last night to doing a "rough draft".
Thankfully it looks like we won't have to pay in any this year. I've finally figured out how much to have taken from my weekly salary to offset the other (DH's pension & SS).

Didn't have the form & instructions printed for the "make work pay" credit (yes, I looked at it on the web, but when I start working, I like to have paper & pencil in hand. What does that say... hummmmm.)
I have to look back at bank statements - DH is on soc sec & we have to reduce the credit by $250 if he got the economic recovery payment in 2009. Terrible but we really don't remember!

So,
do you plan to have excess taken out all year so that you get a refund?
is the refund like a saving for you?

do you try to have the right amount taken out?
would you rather have to pay on April 15th?
(personally I'd rather save & pay then than to let Uncle Sam have my money interest free all during the year).

Any tips you want to share that we might not know about?

Slicey took out the wrinkles '08

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Tax Time Max Headroom 03-05-10 1
 RE: Tax Time weltek 03-05-10 2
 RE: Tax Time cahaya 03-05-10 3
 RE: Tax Time BlueIris 03-05-10 4
 RE: Tax Time HobbsofMI 03-07-10 5
 RE: Tax Time samboohoo 03-07-10 6
 RE: Tax Time jbug 03-07-10 7
 ah yes... I remember those days IceCat 03-08-10 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

03-05-10, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Tax Time"
I haven't started on my taxes yet, but I've provided notice to the rest of the family that I'm going to need a few hours in the den (computer room) with zero interruptions to work through our taxes in TurboTax. Usually DW takes the kids somewhere to give me the house to myself, but if all else fails, the kids' laptop can be moved to another room.

Despite my efforts to reduce it, most years I end up with a fairly large refund. In the past I've boosted the exemptions on my W-4 form to reduce withholding; if this year's refund is large, it'll be time to tweak my W-4 again. Like many others, I don't like the idea of giving Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid Uncle Sam an interest-free loan.

If I get a refund, I e-file as early as I can. Otherwise, there's no hurry, April 15th will do just fine to send my payment.

Capn2patch 2010

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

03-05-10, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Tax Time"
LAST EDITED ON 03-05-10 AT 04:22 PM (EST)

We just submitted ours last week, as it was late Feb. when I received my last W-2. I do consulting on the side, but it's really sporadic, so hard to predict. We've usually ended up paying in $1000-$3000 between state and feds for the last few years and have to pay estimated taxes throughout the year.

This year, I think we netted $1000 back between the two. I'm pleased with that. It's not TOO much (though I admit some jealousy when people have $5000 to go out and play with this time of year), but it's not paying in.

We've decided those Goodwill donations really add up. A few years ago we realized donating books was way better than selling them to the second hand bookstore. My old bridesmaid's dresses flew out of the closet when I saw their tax deduction value.

ETA: We TurboTax. Our first year as homeowners, when I was also first selling Tastefully Simple, we used a preparer because we weren't familiar with anything. Otherwise we'd always done them ourselves.

-A Tribetastic Creation

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

03-05-10, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Tax Time"
I'll be e-filing this weekend, along with e-filing the FAFSA form for my son's college financial aid. The FAFSA is due on March 10 and much of the family financial information comes right off the federal tax form, so I do both at the same time.

I'm a TurboTax user, which saves a lot of time, as it reuses most of the basic information from the previous year. I actually spend more time getting all the documents together (and making sure I have all of them) than I do filling in the form and filing - all told, about 2 hours to do for my family.

Surfkitten Sig Shop 2007

BlueIris 161 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-05-10, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueIris Click to send private message to BlueIris Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Tax Time"
I try to have the right amount taken out so we don't have to pay or get a large refund. Although it's fun having a large refund I hate to let the government have more than their share of my money.

I already got my $400 back from our Federal and State returns.

I like using Turbo Tax.

thanks Capn2patch

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-10, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Tax Time"
I'm just finishing today with turbo tax. We need to add up all Mrs. Hobb's job searching expenses but the year of unemployment hit us hard for the State taxes. Fed we have the hybrid and the Move up FTHB tax credits that helped cover the unemployment. I try to get the right amount taken out because why do I want to give the gov a big loan or pay a penalty if we don't take enough out. We have to mail it in this year with the FTHB tax credit but we normally e-file asap if we are owed or send it in April if we pay.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-10, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Tax Time"
LAST EDITED ON 03-08-10 AT 08:30 AM (EST)

Ours are not done yet. Usually, I'm waiting for the tax lady. This year she is waiting for me. A friend who works for Block does ours.

This will be the first year of our Flex Account/Health Savings Account at work, so I am very curious to see how that affects us. That, combined with my 401(k) knocked 13k off of my taxable income, which changed some things for us.

We always get a refund. DH works on commission only. IMO, there is no way for us to do anything else. I would much rather receive than pay. And I don't really care about "loaning" the government money for a bit. I prefer to get one big check than to get little amounts each pay period. *shrug*

Edited to change "gross" to "taxable income."

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-10, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Tax Time"
Just finished it with Turbo Tax.
The refund is much larger than we expected.
There was $550 in the make work pay credit, but even without that I didn't expect as much.
My income was less than 2008 (no bonus in 2009), our interest income was much less;
but then less of soc sec was taxable this year - so I guess as one gets older, less of soc sec is taxable - maybe that is the reason for the larger refund.

I'll not change my withholdings this year - will see if another year is like this first.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

03-08-10, 00:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "ah yes... I remember those days"

... I'd almost forgotten what 'taxes' were.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •