The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Current Message

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-28-03, 07:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
The author of Gay Idol Journal weighs in with his vote, and the political and social motivations behind it. This is not his usual bitchfest, but a more serious personal plea. Feel free to agree, disagree, laugh, or avoid the topic entirely. It’s in your hands.

Why I’m Voting for Clay Aiken
One (Gay) Man’s Opinion
By Larry Johnson

American Idol, for me, has become a weekly event. Each Wednesday, several of my good friends join my boyfriend and I around the television. With the TIVO controller in hand, we re-hash Tuesday’s episode to cheer our favorites, critique the less-worthy candidates, and predict the outcome. Then we launch into Wednesday’s episode, hoping our predictions will come true. I must admit I stood, mouth agape, near tears when Vanessa was unceremoniously booted. Conversely, I jumped for joy and screamed like a little girl last Wednesday when Carmen received her long-overdue ousting. All along, I have been quietly hoping that underdog-former-nerd-Clay Aiken will take the title. However, after a few conversations this week with co-workers and friends, I’m beginning to doubt that ‘my Clay’ will pull it off… primarily due to his perceived ‘softness’ as a performer. In fact, I’ve heard from several people… even my ‘out-of-the-closet’ friends… who say they won’t vote for Clay because he is ‘too gay.’ They actually used those words as a valid excuse to deny Clay the title of American Idol. And I’m more than a little bit upset about it.

It’s important to me that you realize I am not making any statement whatsoever about Clay’s sexuality. I don’t pretend to know whether Clay is gay, straight, bi-sexual, a-sexual… hell, he could like Chihuahuas, for all I care. What I’m talking about are affectations in his performing style: over-enunciation, a penchant for romantic ‘Broadway-style’ ballads, a stiffness and lack of masculine ‘swagger,’ a sweetness and sensitivity in his interpretation, and, most egregiously, his habit of fluttering his eyelashes and mouthing the words ‘thank you’ to his fans. Add this to the severity of his ‘make-over,’ and his Seacrest-Shag hairstyle, and the whole package makes some men… well… uncomfortable. Simon’s recent unflattering comments to Clay hint that he feels this way as well. And Clay’s somewhat manufactured ‘chemistry’ with Carmen didn’t do much to help the matter, either. The truth is, Clay is probably just a shy Southern boy, uncomfortable with his physicality after years of being called a ‘nerd.’ But to be fair, I must admit it. Sweet, shy, soft-spoken Clay comes off as a bit… well… effeminate. There. I said it. The dreaded ‘E’ word.

But is any of this a reason not to vote for Clay?

No doubt there have been male pop stars, past and present, gay and straight, with effeminate qualities. A short list of names might include Elton John, David Bowie, Ricky Martin, Michael Jackson, George Michael, Savage Garden’s Darren Hayes (a personal favorite), Johnny Mathis, Barry Manilow, Prince, Boy George, Neil Sedaka, and many, many more. Even manufactured stars, like some of the N’SYNC and Backstreet Boys members have ‘soft’ qualities about them that have cause numerous gay rumors. In fact, Girls (particularly pre-teen and teenaged ones) appear to be Clay’s biggest fan base. They don’t appear to care that he isn’t particularly manly. His sensitive qualities make him more boyish, and non-threatening. His sex appeal is kept comfortably under wraps, and they like it that way. (It is, in fact, this group that probably caused the demise of Kim Caldwell, who many young girls found to be too confident and too brash in her sexuality.)

So why are men, both straight and gay, abandoning Clay in favor of ‘safer’ targets like Ruben and Kimberley Locke? In some cases, certainly, it is simply due to preference of one voice type over another. But in other cases… like those who say that Clay is simply ‘too gay’… I submit it is due to prejudice. Men, in our culture, are raised to feel that men should behave and carry themselves in a certain way, and that traits which are usually identified as ‘feminine’ should be shunned. I submit that this narrow-minded exclusionism is outdated and foolish. A combination of masculine and feminine traits makes a well-rounded and healthy individual. I suppose, however, that this deep-seeded prejudice will not be broken easily. I do not expect my article to sway the straight male population (who, most likely, never will read an article with ‘gay’ in the title anyway) to begin to see Clay in a new light.

But what hurts me is that there are so many gay people who have turned away from Clay. As the gay population continues to blend into society, there is an increasing self-hatred for the traits that make us stand out. Many of my gay friends and acquaintances make every possible effort to seem as masculine as they can, to avoid fitting the ‘girly’ or ‘drag queen’ stereotypes of the past. Some of them have layered a false persona over their own natural one, so much so that they have trouble showing their real feelings and emotions, rendering them cold and unhappy. I, for one, refuse to do this.

So, as an admittedly effeminate gay man, I will vote early and often for Clay Aiken, because his voice is glorious, powerful, and distinctive. Because his style of music is appealing to me. Because his nerdy, outcast, underdog image is something I can relate to. And because his ‘soft’ traits are endearing, warm, and re-assuring to me. I urge others, particularly gay men who agree with my position, to do the same. Clay Aiken may be ‘too gay’ in the narrow-minded eyes of some, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be your American Idol.

Larry Johnson is a comedy writer, currently working for Disney TV. Look for his weekly commentary about Survivor, American Idol and Amazing Race from a gay point of view. Also, if you dare, please check out his website, http://www.gaycomedyjournals.com/

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   TODDLJ     04-28-03       
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   true     04-28-03     1  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   TODDLJ     04-28-03     2  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   tig_ger     04-28-03     3  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   TODDLJ     04-29-03     5  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   Connie E     04-29-03     4  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   TODDLJ     04-29-03     6  
         RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   katem     04-29-03     11  
             RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   realityluver     04-30-03     14  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   managerr     04-29-03     7  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   toddE     04-29-03     8  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   L82LIFE     04-29-03     9  
   WOW LARRY !!!!!   katem     04-29-03     10  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   drawde236     04-29-03     12  
   Thank you   GeorgiaBelle     04-30-03     13  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   wildchickenhunter     04-30-03     15  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   Bebo     04-30-03     16  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   cyclehausen     04-30-03     17  
         RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   Femme     04-30-03     18  
             RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   cyclehausen     04-30-03     19  
             RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   TODDLJ     04-30-03     21  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   I_AM_SHOCKED     04-30-03     23  
         Why is Josh still there? Here's wh...   Connie E     05-01-03     24  
             RE: Why is Josh still there? Here'...   I_AM_SHOCKED     05-01-03     25  
             RE: Why is Josh still there? Here'...   dumbrit     05-01-03     28  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   TODDLJ     04-30-03     20  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   BriarRosie     04-30-03     22  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   PrettyInPink     05-01-03     26  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   dumbrit     05-01-03     27  
     RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   I_AM_SHOCKED     05-01-03     29  
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion   divaliving     05-16-03     30  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •