The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Does anyone really care?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences So You Think You Can Dance Forum (Protected)
Original message

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-08-10, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Does anyone really care?"
LAST EDITED ON 08-08-10 AT 05:54 PM (EST)

Sigh. We used to enjoy, okay, maybe 'love' watching SYTYCD, but something is so "off" this season, that we just gave it up. We do not even record and fast forward through it. I've been a loyal watcher since the first season, but with these dancers, it's just been a "so-what" feeling. Hubby was always a "sometimes" viewer and never a voter like me.

Thanks to Snidget for doing the play-by-play, though. I come here to see who got kicked off...and tonight who will win.

Either we're getting old and jaded, or the programs like SYTYCD and Idol and Hell's Kitchen just aren't what they used to be. Funny, we're beginning to feel like that about Survivor too.

Are we the only ones thinking this?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Does anyone really care? Snidget 08-08-10 1
   RE: Does anyone really care? byoffer 08-08-10 2
       RE: Does anyone really care? Snidget 08-08-10 3
           RE: Does anyone really care? JessicaRN 08-08-10 4
               RE: Does anyone really care? Nume 08-09-10 6
                   RE: Does anyone really care? byoffer 08-10-10 9
                   RE: Does anyone really care? syren 08-15-10 14
 RE: Does anyone really care? udg 08-09-10 5
   RE: Does anyone really care? vicky100 08-09-10 7
 RE: Does anyone really care? Belle Book 08-09-10 8
 RE: Does anyone really care? DoodleBug 08-10-10 10
   RE: Does anyone really care? JessicaRN 08-10-10 11
 RE: Does anyone really care? djandy 08-10-10 12
 RE: Does anyone really care? okaychatt 08-11-10 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-10, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I think all shows go through this when they have been on long enough.

Kinda like any relationship all the fresh, new, can't get enough of you, eventually fades. With shows they can't always cast enough "never seen before" types and often trying to recapture the type that was popular or controversial the year before just never really pans out. So they do twists and somethings kinda work and somethings don't. If they are lucky every few years you get someone on the show that really makes it pop again.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-10, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I think the dances are stale also. Think about how awesome the Bollywood number was then Katee and Joshua did it, and now the Bollywood numbers seem stale. Is it because they are not as good? Or because they don't have the novelty factor?

I think dancer experience is hurting also. The two front-runners this season are still in highschool, and while great dancers have not yet learned how to perform.

Oh how different this season would have been if Alex hadn't been injured! He knew how to dance and perform.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-10, 07:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
Yep, even when a similar dance that comes later may technically be better or may even be danced better, it usually can't live up to an earlier similar wow dance. The Tahiti dance will be like that if they every do that again. It won't live up to the memory of Lauren's hips.

For me the angsty, disease-ridden, contemporary dances are starting to run together in a major way. How many ways can a dancer fling themselves to the floor in despair?

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-08-10, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
And how could another Russian Folk dance ever live up to the first????

I agree about all of these shows getting stale, which makes sense. I will continue to watch, but I use the FF button a lot more than I used to. I really hate it when they keep telling us how this is the best season ever.

Nume 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-09-10, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Nume Click to send private message to Nume Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
Heh this is my first season watching so I still have that new feel, however I will agree that it has seemed to drag on somewhat as the season has went on. Anyways, do any of the "veterans" have an opinion about which of the older seasons would be worth trying to find and watch? I do enjoy the show and would like to see some of hte earlier ones but I dont really want to try to find the dvds for 6 full seasons .

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-10, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I would recommend either of the two seasons from SYTYCD Canada! Not sure why, but on the Canadian versions of these public voting shows (AI and SYTYCD) the public seems to do a better job of getting it right. And both season in Canada had fantastic dancers with great winners. The only downside is Leah Miller instead of the lovely Cat Deeley.

As for US versions of the show, I really enjoyed season 4. Although I didn't prefer the winner, that season had some great characters and fun routines.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-10, 07:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
Season 2 with Benji. Honestly this was the season we have compared everything to.

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-09-10, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
Between bad ideas (only 11 dancers, and 2 of them from the same school) and bad luck (injuries 3 weeks in a row, including the best dancer on the show), this season has been a big fizzle.

I also felt like I'd seen most of this season's dances before. I really liked the Every Little Thing She Does is Magic dance, but it wasn't new, different, or unique in any way.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

vicky100 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-09-10, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vicky100 Click to send private message to vicky100 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
You know, I was feeling the same thing, but still watched, I think the change they made with using past "allstar" dancers was a good idea but maybe not at first. While some routines were really really good, some were, eh..whatever. Maybe they should go back to the old format, having them dance with each other first, then switch to allstars in the last few weeks of the season when they dance multiple times per show. As for the judging, less then to be desired for sure, They definatly need to rethink Mia being a judge and bring back Mary ...yeah I know she screams a lot well, we know when it is coming and the mute button on my remote works just fine. But with that all said, I am looking foward to seeing the finale...

Take care
Vicky

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-09-10, 06:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I understand a little. I think there were two problems -- the fact that they had a Top 11 and not a Top 20 hurt the girls more because girls tend to vote and most of them vote for the guys (I tend to vote for a girl more but I'm an exception.) And more to the point, there was real bad luck where dancers were injured and had to withdraw two weeks in a row. I think the killer was the first one -- Alex's injury. It took the wind out of my sails and kept me from voting the rest of the season.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-10, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
LAST EDITED ON 08-10-10 AT 05:07 PM (EST)

I haven't been totally wowed by the show this season. When they switched venues last year, I felt a groan coming on. I preferred the old stage. I loved seeing the allstars, but I agree we probably could have introduced them later. When I look back, I have missed having 20 dancers. Haven't liked Mia as a judge. Nigel has even been more annoying this year.

I don't know, I enjoy the show, but I think it has probably run its course. I still bought tour tickets and am looking forward to seeing the live show.

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-10-10, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I will keep watching, because as reality shows go, this is still one of my favorites, but I think having only one female for so many of the last weeks made it kind of odd. Luckily, the all-stars were already in place, but I think I've seen enough of Neil and Kent dancing. In fact, I went from thinking Kent was really cute to find him quite annoying, but I guess that happens.

djandy 1711 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

08-10-10, 10:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I am disgusted by the blatant favoritism the judges showed this year. I hate Mia as a judge -- she's mean to her non-favorites, overpraises her favorites (even when not deserved), and she is very ineloquent (she describes dances with sounds that nobody understands instead of words). I love Mia as a choreographer, and being a judge prevents her from doing what she does best, and puts her in a position that she's not good at.

Nigel is overly pompous and has shown favoritism again this year -- and he's still the same old pervy Nigel. Even Adam gets old week after week. They need to return to the rotating judges panel to get new choreographers to give their take on the dancers so the set judging panel can't just cram their favorites down everybody's throats. Toni Redpath was good because she gave specific feedback and didn't just blindly follow the other judges' opinions. I do miss Mary. If only she just hadn't started screaming, we would still have her excitement and enthusiasm as a judge (and the Hot Tamale Train).

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-11-10, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Does anyone really care?"
I think the issue this year is that so many were injured and were automatically eliminated. Had that not happened, Robert definitely would not have made the final. Ashley would have gone a lot further.

The obvious bias against Adechike had me rooting for him more than I might have otherwise. I think he is much better than what the judges have been critiquing him for, but I am not expertly versed in dance technique. It seems to me that the judges did not want Adechike in the finale.

This season did not have much to do with what the voters would have wanted.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •