The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences So You Think You Can Dance Forum (Protected)
Original message

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-09-08, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
Now that the show is over, let's talk about the choreography.

From wiki we can see who did all the choreography.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_You_Think_You_Can_Dance_Canada

Personally, I think that the choreography has a lot to do with who goes hom.

Observations
- Benji Schwimmer choreoed 4 routines, and 2 led to bottom 3 and the other 2 to eliminations (including Arassay!).
- Luther Brown choreoed 5 routines. Nico and Arassay were safe with him (Nico was safe with EVERYONE), but all the rest lead to bottom groups or eliminations (Joey and Tamina, and Izaak)
- Melissa Williams - total of 8 routines. the first 5 routines she choreoed were all safe. Week 6 she had routines, and one was part of Izaak's boot. Her last routine was the go-go mess that almost assured a male victory.
- Paul Becker - 4 routines, and all safe (only one that had any bad was the Capoeira that Miles didn't win but Nico won the whole show).

I guess it is an unwritten rule on these shows to applaud the choreographers every.single.time, but I think that the choreo (and style represented by each) has a huge impact on the show.

Thoughts?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography MKitty 12-09-08 1
 RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography qwertypie 12-09-08 2
   RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography byoffer 12-10-08 3
 RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography trigirl 12-10-08 4
   RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography qwertypie 12-10-08 5
 RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography aethelstan 12-11-08 6
   RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography qwertypie 12-12-08 7
       RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography trigirl 12-15-08 8
 RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography Glow 01-06-09 9
   RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography byoffer 01-06-09 10
       RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography Glow 01-06-09 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

MKitty 2975 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-09-08, 06:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
I totally agree. I always feel bad if they get a really crappy routine to do...as it really does put the dancers in jeopardy. I still recall the bed one that had the dancers jumping over the bed and such...well it was Issak..but I think it was also the choreography that really sucked. Benji's...if I recall.

I think that bad choreography is really hard to rise above and usually the disco and the hip hop are the killers...but as our boy Nico showed...if you have the moves, even disco is appealing! LOL...

Seasonal CATastic courtesy of Agman!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

12-09-08, 10:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
I guess you are counting Melissa'a choreo that got Izaak the boot a check mark in the success column?

And Mr. Qwerty still contends the go-go number was an instant classic. *rolls eyes*

12-10-08, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
Maybe I am losing something, but despite having cute girls in high boots, that go-go number was a disaster.

DW said that she felt the routine was too cheerleader for a dance competition. Interesting from her, as she is an ex-cheerleader and dancer!

During auditions the judges will often say that a routine is "too cheerleader" or "too talent show". I can't put a finger on what the differences are, but certainly get a feeling when something is off. Too bad that during the final competition show there was a routine choreoed that way!

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-08, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
I think this is a great thread. The judges always say 'blah, blah, blah' about the choreography but sometimes it is just bad.

The Lindy Hop anyone? Did they do a bad job or did Benjii screw up on that one? I really, really disliked Tre's step routine.

My fave of the season is probably Stacey Tookey. Really love, love, love her stuff.
Nico and Allie in the finale to "Permanent" - Amazing!
Vincent and Natalii's "Happy Ending" - Gorgeous!

Other faves are Sean Cheeseman's afro jazz and almost all of Melissa Williams' stuff. Same with Gustavo Vargas.

bouncey by Ice

12-10-08, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
IMHO Benji dropped a huge stink bumb with that one.

I wonder how much latitude the choreographers are given? That story line svcked bobo.

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-11-08, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
Overall, there were a number of choreographies that I liked but few that were as memorable as those in the US show. This is unusual because given that the population difference are 9-to-1, you would think that a SYTYCD North America would have that same ratio. Yet, I think that 7 or 8 dancers from the Canadian show would not be out of place at all in this year's top 20 of the American show.

Back to the dancing, I thought that Canada did a much better job of showing a far greater variety of dances than in the US.

In terms of choreographies, the biggest differences for me were the hip hop numbers. There were a number of outstanding hip hop numbers in the US show yet, overall, in the Canadian show, they were just dances without stories whereas the US hip hop numbers told stories and connected with the audience.

For me, Paul Decker could be dropped from the list of choreographers without anyone shedding a tear. The crocodile rock number was awful.

The two African Jazz numbers were among the best of the season. Canada also benefited from having two ballroom boys that could properly lead during the ballroom/latin numbers.

The go-go all girl number wasn't great but better than the US broadway number which was dreadful.

What else? Cat Deeley is way, way better than Leah Miller. The judges, well, in both shows they are a little tedious at times.

There was something else I was going to add but I can't for the life of me remember. Oh well, later, perhaps.

12-12-08, 05:42 PM (EST)
7. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
I agree with you whole heartedly!
Having JMG as the main judge help get the ballroom/latin dancers in the top 20. There seems to be an anti-ballroom bias in the American version.

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-08, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
I agree. The show features so much ballroom dances, it was such a pleasure to Danny and Francis do justice to the numbers.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-09, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
A SYTYCD Canada choreography thread and nobody has yet mentioned Blake effin McGrath? Oh the horror. *dramatically place back of hand on forehead*

Nico & Arassay's "Let Me Leave"
This routine and all the talk after is what made me fall for Nico. I was ecstatic to see Blake's choreo and he didn't disappoint.

Izaak & Kaitlyn's "Breaking Dishes" was fun fun fun.

Nico & Lisa's Jazz-Funk
Hott. Sexy. Fun. Holy crap.

The "I Surrender" group routine was one of the best group routines I have ever seen. It was stunning.

"TheFace" was beautiful and emotional.

Blake is a genius.

Paul Becker is hit or miss for me. His "Crocodile Rock" was perhaps the worst routine I have ever seen in my life and I have no idea how Joey and Tamina escaped elimination (not to mention, I didn't like her at all). But his "It's A Man's Man's Man's World " was brilliant.

I enjoyed Stacey Tookey.
I missed Wade.

01-06-09, 10:47 AM (EST)
10. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
Geez, Glow, a little late to the party?

Blake certainly had some excellent routines. The "Let Me Leave" routine was unfortunately overshadowed by the broken nose, but was excellent.

But from a purely statistical perspective, he choreoed 4 competitive routines, and 2 lead to bottom and/or elimination.

Admittedly, both were for Lisa, who was a great dancer though not vote-getter. The Jazzy Funk was awesome. Question - Dan says that wouldn't have been allowed in the States by the censors. Do you agree?

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-09, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SYTYCD-C - Choreography"
heh. Sorry. I could have posted this a week or so ago.

The broken nose was uberhot. That's a man.

pffft. Statistical schmatistical. They were all pleasing to me and I couldn't vote. Silly Canadians. The statistics are completely skewed by Joey and Tamina's Becker routine anyway. That? was pure crap.

Nico oozes sex and creates lustful imagery standing still. Blake's choreography just took that up several notches. I've thought about it every time I've watched it (whether it would have been censored or not, I mean... heh) and I just can't see why it wouldn't have been allowed. So no, I don't agree.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •