The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences So You Think You Can Dance Forum (Protected)
Original message

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-12-08, 00:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Not that our griping would make a difference to Nigel et al, but it would be cathartic.

1. Fix the freakin' camera work. Really, you only need 1 camera or 2 max to video the routines. I do not want to see head shots -- I am ballroom biased -- I want, no NEED to see what the feet are doing as well. These routines are done in PARTNERSHIP. Is it really too much to ask that we get to see both dancers all of the time?
2. Include more world dances -- that was really cool. I loved Bollywood, the Trepak had potential, but the guys were so tired by the end.
3. Give the final four a breather. I would rather see less routines better done than trying to break the dancers. Blah, blah, blah - paying audience does not care the dancers are tired blah, blah, blah, but show me a dance troupe that had to learn this much new material continually for this many weeks in a row.
4. Lose the no talent 'singers' that are just trying to hype their new albums. An absolute embarrassment, and especially more cringe-inducing when the singers have back up dancers.
5. Keep the original recording artist's music for the routines. And I really appreciate having the artist and song title displayed. Of course it takes away the game we play with DWTS where the first person who can identify what is being played (even if it takes almost the entire song) gets a buck from everyone else. (But please limit the AI songs)
6. Maybe for one of the solos, have everyone dance to the same song. Let's see how they interpret the music.

I know I have just scratched the surface here. What are your suggestions?

JUST to add -- I really appreciate the trend to having the guys shirtless or at the very least buttonless. YEAH WARDROBE!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: So....... How can we the... Glow 08-12-08 1
 RE: So....... How can we the... Snidget 08-12-08 2
   RE: So....... How can we the... Glow 08-12-08 3
       RE: So....... How can we the... qwertypie 08-12-08 4
 RE: So....... How can we the... Farmie 08-12-08 5
   RE: So....... How can we the... qwertypie 08-12-08 6
 RE: So....... How can we the... StarryLuna 08-13-08 7
   RE: So....... How can we the... IzzyB68 08-13-08 8
       RE: So....... How can we the... starshyn99 08-19-08 14
 RE: So....... How can we the... DebBee 08-13-08 9
   RE: So....... How can we the... qwertypie 08-13-08 10
       RE: So....... How can we the... DebBee 08-13-08 11
           RE: So....... How can we the... qwertypie 08-13-08 12
   RE: So....... How can we the... Glow 08-14-08 13
       RE: So....... How can we the... Shazbot 09-09-08 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-08, 07:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
1. This is the most important one. Get rid of the agenda. And if you can't do that, take the producer and his pony off the "judging" panel so we can have actual JUDGING.
2. I'll second that they absolutely yes please fix the effing camerawork!
3. I'll second your final 4 breather. Give them a week off.
4. And I'll second your same song solo. I loved Wade's top 10 solo last year. I know it didn't go over well with everybody so using the same song could be a meeting in the middle.
5. Make sure the vending machines have beverages in them.
6. Beg Mark to do some group choreography and compensate him well and ask him to do it shirtless.
7. Speaking of group choreography... any of you choreographers ever heard of Bjork? No? Oh. Well. Mark has. Imagine that.

8. Steal Blake from Canada

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-08, 08:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
1. Less of the auditions, more of the Hollywood week. Make sure we've seen something substantial about all of them before the competition begins.

2. I agree about keep both people, and all of both people on the screen. They have enough make up on we can see the expressions even with a full body shot.

3. I like the idea of everyone solo to the same music, or maybe get 3 moves from a choreographer they have to use, or have one type of move that must be included that is something that can be found in multiple styles (turns, floor work, etc.)

4. As much as I love Wade and Shane I also liked some of the newer choreographers this season. Fresh blood is good and keeps it interesting.

5. More world dance and/or not typical dance styles. You could lose the Quickstep and Argentine Tango as well as Disco and other kiss of death dances. If you need at least one fully trained professional to pull a dance off, don't use those.

6. If you are going to insist on keeping ballroom/partnering dances at least make the couple have to spend more than 3.4 nanoseconds in the hold. I know they don't do it very well, but maybe if 1/3 of the dance looked like the dance in question they'd have the practice that part of the style to pull it off.

7. Kill switch on Mary's Mic. Heck a cone of silence that would drop on her during the screams would be nice. I'm shocked the other judges haven't sued her for their medical expenses due to hearing loss.

8. More Lil C judging.

9. Less choreographer pimping. Do like DWTS does about the band. Make a big fuss once during the opening of the show or once during the closing of the show and stop spending 1/2 the critique time on the choreographers. This is not a competition for them as well. The choreographer paired with the winning dancer will not get a three page spread in Dance Quarterly.

10. Stop cross promoting AI music.

11. Make sure that random makes everyone have to step out of their box. Maybe theme a few of the weeks (all ballroom or all street dance) so we get a bit more head to head comparisons to see who really can get out of their box and who is only good because they are never asked to do anything they can't do.

12. While I liked having more dances, get Fox to have some sort of filler for 1/2 hour or hour shows so they don't go to 2 per week so early in the season.

13. A break week will be good. I think that helped last season although it was just done because of the timing of the 4th holiday.

08-12-08, 09:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Close-ups aren't always a bad thing. Sometimes a nice tight shot of an expression is necessary.

... just sayin'

Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't mind the AI music. Cook's rainbows was nicely choreographed and very well danced.... mmmm romantic. Archuletta... well, whatever. That could have had pretty much anything coming through the speakers and I'd still watch Will's body and Katee's lines. Sparky's "No Air" was lovely.

I'd like to add a free week to my list. Top 20 week one, nobody goes home.

More Lil C judging! Yes!

A ho's (and Snidge's) work is never done.

08-12-08, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
OK, you got me on that one. Nice, tight UMMMMM, what was I saying? Oh yea, close up.

But the camera crew doesn't understand that a little goes a long way. Maybe they get paid everytime the camera cuts.

Maybe they could have an internet feed where us fuddy duddys could see the routine done shot with one camera.

Love your free week at the beginning of top 20.

Farmie 71 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-12-08, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Farmie Click to send private message to Farmie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
>6. Maybe for one of the
>solos, have everyone dance to
>the same song.
>Let's see how they interpret
>the music.
>
Wasn't this done last season? I kinda, sorta remember some of the dancers dancing a solo to John Mayer's "Waiting On The World To Change." They all had the same steps but the interpretations were different. Sabre blew me away with her solo to the song.

Farmie

08-12-08, 12:11 PM (EST)
6. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Yeah, but I was more thinking that they are just given the music (no choreo) and see what they come up with.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

08-13-08, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
1. Less Mary & Nigel, more Lil' C, Shankman, Dan, heck, even Mia. One of the things that made this show so much better than it's cousin was that the judges actually gave constructive criticism the first few seasons. But now, Mary just screams and babbles on about her hot tamale train and Nigel just tells the girls how hot they look. The rotating judges still tend to give more useful advice to the dancers. I'd like it if they go back to how it used to be with Mary also rotating off the judging panel.

2. This is a show where I actually enjoy the audition rounds because they tend to show us a better ratio of good dancers to bad dancers. Plus, I recall seeing most of the top 20 audition. I would like to see a little more of Hollywood week though.

3. Make the solos longer, especially once we're down to the point where the solos are also performed for votes. 30 seconds to 1 minute just isn't enough time.

4. Give Cat a raise.

5. Definitely agree with the camera work. When the top 5 guys did Nigel's "Moe" routine, they stuck with a wide shot for the whole routine. It was great. There's no reason they can't do that for all the other dances.

6. I like the idea of theme weeks someone mentioned above. It would be cool to have all the couples do hip-hop one week, then contemporary one week, then ballroom. It would be a lot easier to compare the dancers that way.

Place witty comment here.

IzzyB68 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-13-08, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IzzyB68 Click to send private message to IzzyB68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
While it would be easier to compare the dancers, it would give an unfair advantage to those who are trained in the first style picked. So maybe this should be done later in the season when two dances are done. So that we could see all hip hop and contemporary. The the next week all ballroom and something else. I don't think it should be done right away.

I like most of your suggestions, especially the free week to get to know the dancers better. Also, the solo's to a particular song where they have to do a couple pre-determined elements.

I could care less whether AI music is in there or not. I don't want AI, so I didn't even notice to be honest with you.

The results show up coming artists was cool when it was One Republic, I had never heard of them before that point and now love them. But boy did they pick some strange ones this year!!!

I also agree, rotate Mary off. I loved some of the other judges and would love to see them more.

Maybe the free week can be right before the top 10 and it could be a show of the dancers favorite dances. They wouldn't re-dance them, just show the tape of it. Maybe have each of the top 10 pick their favorite dance they did, have them say why they picked it, and maybe give some background stuff about it. Like moves that were cut or added and why. Some difficulties they had with the dance and what they did to get over them. Stuff like that. They would still get people to watch the show and it would not just be a re-run. It would give the dancers two weeks to transition from same partners to being mixed up.

starshyn99 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-19-08, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail starshyn99 Click to send private message to starshyn99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
LAST EDITED ON 08-19-08 AT 04:13 PM (EST)

I like most of your suggestions, especially the free week to get to know the dancers better.

Love this idea. In my household we keep wishing for a "behind the scenes" week. Like show us exactly what it takes for these dancers to prep for the show and what their days are like. I think that would be really interesting.

*edited to fix html tags...oops...

DebBee 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-13-08, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DebBee Click to send private message to DebBee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Agree wholeheartedly with suggestions given. In addition

• More of the Las Vegas week and less of the worst of. I don't need to see Mr. Sex ever again. Unfair that some show up for the competition with no following because this is the 1st time I remember seeing them.
• I would like to see the final 20 spend some group time with choreographers from the different disciplines before the competition begins explaining some of the meat and potatoes of that style. A little unfair to show up for your 1st ballroom style and have to waste the few hours available being told of the carriage requirements
• Show a little more of the random dance selections… 10 dance cards in the hat, 10 selections. The conspiracy theories about who danced what was quite extensive (was anyone surprised that Katie and Will got the Pa De Dux?)
• For the fillers, follow DWTS. Have a choreographer define the components of a dance type and show what it is. I can't tell the difference between a contemporary vs. a lyrical and sometimes even some of the jazz, etc. A different dance each week would be nice for those of us whose formal dance training was learning to square dance in grammar school gym
• Insist that the choreographers follow the guides of the dance type. I'm sorry, while the Twitch and Kerrington waltz was beautiful; even I know it wasn't a waltz. I much preferred the Mark/Chelsea tango vs. the Josh/Chelsea tango. Less tricks, more footwork by both dancers. I felt that because both Josh and Twitch are physically very strong looking, some of their dances had way too many tricks and lifts (The Josh disco had way too many lifts). Its not that Gev couldn't have done the same with Courtney, he wasn't asked too, so he actually had to dance the dance
• I don't mind having singers on the results show, but use the talent of songs used on the show (new talent like One Republic) without the back-up dancers. If you can't do it "unplugged" don't do it
• Instead of the final 4, do the Cat interview with the final 10. I really liked that and it gives them all a chance to shine
• I like having judges on the panel that are not ongoing choreographers for the show. I much prefer Alan and Debbie Allen because they are not working with the contestants. They can be a bit more objective. Need a few more of that type. Not that Mia can't be honest, but sometimes her personal feeling seem to come through
• Nigel and Mary need to get back to constructive comments

Really going to miss the show. It was my only "got to get home and see it" cause I don't have TIVO. Sorry I don't know how to comment without it being a "reply"

08-13-08, 05:19 PM (EST)
10. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"

Hey DebBee -- Welcome to the boards!!!!!
I loved your suggestions. One can only hope that the powers that be at SYTYCD will stumble upon it and take it to heart.

Stick around -- we get quite snarky when "Dancing with the Stars" starts up.

(As to your reply versus comment comment -- we are a threaded board, so all comments to the first post will be a reply. If you want to make a comment to the original post, hit the reply button on the original post. If you want to respond directly to a person that has responded (eg IzzyB responded to Starry Luna's comment about having the dancers dancing the same style for comparison), hit the reply button in that post. You notice that IzzyB's comment is indented underneath Starry Luna's. Hope this helps rather than making it more confusing. )

DebBee 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-13-08, 06:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DebBee Click to send private message to DebBee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
I think it did... thanks

08-13-08, 07:29 PM (EST)
12. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
So far so good

08-14-08, 07:40 AM (EST)
13. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Welcome to the boards, DebBee. Cute name, btw. Love your suggestions.

Maybe somebody can email the link to this thread to Nigel.

"was anyone surprised that Katie and Will got the Pa De Dux?"

No.

A ho's (and Snidge's) work is never done.

Shazbot 226 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-09-08, 09:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: So....... How can we they improve this for next year?"
Responding really late here... but anyway

Fix camerwork, absolutely, it's been bad for a long time.

Behind the scenes would be fascinating (but maybe they're afraid to show it).

Agenda. Keep it. Half the fun of watching the show is trying to guess Nigel's agenda... and trying to figure out if he really favors one dancer over another, or is only supporting one for a time to keep the show going. Within all of it, stands the winner... and there always seems to be a decoy winner, one who's doing really well for the first half of the show but doesn't make it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •