The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences America's Got Talent Forum (Protected)
Original message

billjo0816 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-01-10, 03:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail billjo0816 Click to send private message to billjo0816 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
I don't believe someone with an album out should be allowed to compete. Should we let stars trying to revive their careers compete, like Whitney Houston. The show is supposed to be finding undiscovered talent and if you have an album out, someone has already discovered you. Her album was #2 on the classical charts.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... Max Headroom 09-01-10 1
   RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... agman 09-19-10 16
 RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... Snidget 09-01-10 2
   RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... billjo0816 09-01-10 4
       RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... Snidget 09-01-10 5
       RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... dabo 09-02-10 7
           RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... mindy23 09-02-10 8
           RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... billjo0816 09-10-10 13
               RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... HJrealfan 09-15-10 14
               RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... dabo 09-16-10 15
 RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... jbug 09-01-10 3
 RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... dabo 09-01-10 6
 So you are OK with Michael Grimm? Snidget 09-02-10 9
 RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... Donald Chump 09-03-10 10
   RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... billjo0816 09-10-10 12
       RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... Snidget 09-19-10 17
           RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowe... agman 09-19-10 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-01-10, 08:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
It depends on the rules for AGT. If she meets eligibility requirements, she should be allowed on the show. (For example, she's too young for American Idol.) Remember that the first season winner of AGT was an 11-year-old singer, Bianca Ryan, so there's definitely a precedent for a very young winner.

Footnote: Bianca released one album in 2006 which didn't sell and promptly disappeared from the scene.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-10, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
I agree Max. I don't see any problem as long as she hasn't broken any of the show's rules.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-10, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-01-10 AT 01:17 PM (EST)

Gosh if everyone that self published an album is considered a discovered professional...

Her album looks to only have gotten any notice AFTER she appeared on the show. And like I said pretty much everyone that sings in a coffee shop or anywhere else has an album "on their own label" and it isn't that hard to get it on amazon or itunes independently of the major labels as well as selling it out of the trunk of your car.

link

Unless of course I read the article wrong.

09-01-10, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail billjo0816 Click to send private message to billjo0816 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
In my opinion, she is just using the show for publicity to sell more of her albums. She could have walked into any record company that produces classical music and had a record contract that day. I bet she hopes she loses so she is not bound by the $1 million 1 year contract. She just wants to make the finals and gain public support. I should say that it is not the fact that she has an album out that I believe should be at issue. To me it is the fact that her album debuted at #2 on the classical charts. Maybe she didn't sell boatloads of copies of it, but I think any singer that has an album that gets to #2 on the charts in their genre of music should be ineligible. If the rules are that anyone not under contract can participate, we mind as well call America's got talent a radio station and that would be how people could get their songs heard. I think this is just the beginning of people who have albums out getting on the show to gain popularity and sell albums. After all there are a lot of very talented 8 to 12 year old singers out there that probably have an album out that no one has heard of. All you need to do is "wow" the audience and your popularity skyrockets and your album sales go crazy. I have no qualms about her talent. I think she is an amazingly talented 10 year old. I just don't think she should be eligible for the show.

09-01-10, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
But it charted AFTER she auditioned from what I can tell of the time line, she should be retroactively removed??

I believe 99% or more of people on reality TV talent shows are on there for the publicity, as are at least half of those on non-talent reality TV.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-10, 01:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
That's an awful lot of savvy for a 10-year-old.

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-02-10, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
>That's an awful lot of savvy
>for a 10-year-old.

I was just thinking the EXACT same thing!

09-10-10, 02:48 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
Are you really that nieve that you think Jackie is making her own decisions? Of course her parents are making them for her. I wouldn't be surprised if her parents have hired an agent to help with decisions. Of course the contract would not have Jackie's name in it, so she is not affected on the show. The agent would be for the parents. By the way, I have no ill will toward Jackie. I think she is an amazing talent and I think she is a better singer than Barbara Padilla, who finished 2nd last year.

HJrealfan 2 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-10, 07:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HJrealfan Click to send private message to HJrealfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
Jackie is unbelievable! I thought she was ready for this. The attention, press, and pressure that comes with it. But, after meeting her, I'm not so sure. She seems very careful about everything she says. Almost like a puppet. I'm afraid she may be one of those adults who act-out later in life because she lost her childhood. I hope not. Here's to wishing her all the best!!

Video interview of her here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1IKqBuUtM

-Lori.

09-16-10, 01:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-16-10 AT 01:31 AM (EST)

Heh. You were the one who posted "she this" and "she that" and "I bet she" and "she could" and she she she. I was amused.

I don't know why this issue you have raised is a great concern but it seems important to you. Throughout the history of AGT most of the acts that have done well have been professional or semi-professional before they even auditioned, and of course they are trying to use the show to springboard their careers. And the very premise of the show actually is to springboard entertainers in their careers. Win a cool mil and be a headliner, go on tour, make it in Vegas!

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackie had an agent before the show, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the acts already had agents before the show, or were hoping to use the show to get an agent.

What I don't understand is why these things bother you. I'll be glad to read whatever you want to post.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-10, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
I heard her for the 1st time last night.
What an amazing voice for a young girl!

Elvis in In The House - Capt'n 2010

09-01-10, 10:44 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
Hey, bill! ....

By the way, welcome to the site, glad you could join us.

09-02-10, 11:59 AM (EST)
9. "So you are OK with Michael Grimm?"
Has three albums on iTunes as well as his own site here

http://www.michaelgrimmmusic.com/

Donald Chump 56 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-03-10, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Donald%20Chump Click to send private message to Donald%20Chump Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-03-10 AT 06:54 PM (EST)

Debra Romer also has an indie album. Should she be disqualified too?

http://debrabethellromer.wordpress.com/e-store/

09-10-10, 02:42 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
I think they are walking down a very slippery slope by allowing all of these people with albums out to compete. I think the show is going to become a way for people to sell their albums. I think Jackie has amazing talent especially for a 10 year old. In my opinion she is better than Barbara Padilla and I don't blame her parents for using the show as a way for her to make money. I blame the show for allowing it. If I had an album out and had a great voice I would audition and I would make sure I dressed down, so I did not look like a good singer and when you "wowed" the crowd and the people on the internet you could push your album. And to the person that said that there is no way a 10 year old would think about publicity and everything that can come with being on the show, they are very nieve to think that Jackie is making her own decisions. Of course, her parents are making her decisions and I wouldn't doubt if the parents have hired an agent to help with them. Of course they will be smart enough to make sure it is not listed as an agent for Jackie.

09-19-10, 05:05 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
Hey, you know I think I'm all for this.

Given the leaps in technology over the last decade or so almost everyone who can actually has even tried to be a singer at any level has some sort of album or another (mostly independent) they put together.

Ban them, ban them all.

This could work!!!

Only people that never cared about learning to sing until they tried out for the show can audition as a singer. It may finally allow some other kind of act to win.

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-10, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Should Jackie Evancho be allowed to compete?"
*slaps forehead*...duh, there ya go! Now why didn't I think of that? Wait.....You didn't have an agent help you think of that did you?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •