The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Bashers Forum (Protected)
Original message

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-14-08, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Anyone else as angry as me, (or even a little bit, because I am insensed (sp)) about his comment about having a hair salon for "retards". When Sheila commented about his choice of words he brushed it off since he "works around them all the time" and that gives him some kind of right.

"Retard" is nothing short of derogatory.

I have a 12 year old boy with autism. Yes, he has a mental retardation, but tell me to my face that he's a "retard", and I am sure I won't stop short of anything criminal!!!!

And I am very proud to say with early intervention of intensive/extensive therapies, he's integrated into the regular classrooms and holds a 3.5 GPA.

I hope he loses the chance at the 500K, and I hope he finds himself unemployed. And I hope the parents who use his services boycott it until he is fired.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... FishWoman 02-14-08 1
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... Estee 02-14-08 2
   RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... qwertypie 02-14-08 6
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... mia rules18 02-14-08 3
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... jbug 02-14-08 4
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... Colonel Zoidberg 02-14-08 5
   RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... electrick_shocks 02-15-08 7
       RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... Colonel Zoidberg 02-15-08 8
           RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... azkate 02-15-08 9
               RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... qwertypie 02-15-08 10
                   RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... azkate 02-15-08 11
       RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... sharnina 02-21-08 15
 Adam's charity. Estee 02-20-08 12
   RE: Adam's charity. nazpink 02-21-08 13
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... shaneperry 02-21-08 14
 Lowe's pulls ads from BB frisky 02-22-08 16
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... vince3 02-22-08 17
   RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... aquariaqueen 02-22-08 18
       RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... qwertypie 02-22-08 19
       RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... Estee 02-23-08 20
 RE: Adam's comments about haircuts ... vince3 02-27-08 21
 Just to make it official vince3 02-27-08 22
   RE: Just to make it official aquariaqueen 02-28-08 23
       RE: Just to make it official Gennenut 02-28-08 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FishWoman 1510 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

02-14-08, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FishWoman Click to send private message to FishWoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
I haven't seen the comment yet (I have the episode on DVR to watch tonight), but no, working with the mentally retarded does NOT give you the right to use a word that has known negative connotations.

It was a popular taunt when I was in elementary school, but the first time I said someone was a "retard" around my mom, she actually slapped me. That was also the last time I said the word.

Hair by Tribephyl

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 55193 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-14-08, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
In the Diary Room, Adumb claims he's trying to make himself look stupid as part of his game plan. If so, he's succeeding beyond his wildest dreams.

Given that he works for an autism foundation, I think he'll have a very hard time keeping his job once he gets out of the cage. Brilliant strategy, wasn't it?

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-08, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Wow, I missed his original comment and only caught the backlash.

That was just plain stupid.

And yes, I think we will be seeing a headline on RTVW front page soon, how he was let go from his job.

And if I were a parent dealing with that agency, I would pull all support until he was fired.

mia rules18 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

02-14-08, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mia%20rules18 Click to send private message to mia%20rules18 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
I hope he DOES lose his job. What a moron...I understand he was probably trying to be funny and "cool in front of the other kids" but it wasn't funny in the least bit. He has no business talking like that while representing an Autism foundation...I was kinda surprised CBS even aired that, but I guess they are anticipating some controversy. I'm starting to side with Sheila, he is revolting.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-08, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
{hugs} AQ. I know you are very proud of your son. I too was shocked that any adult would use such a word. Unbelievable!
I wasn't thinking too much of this guy to begin with - something about him just turns me off (guess I know how Sheila feels ;-0 );
but now? I wanted him gone last night - pronto. Too bad for Sheila.

Guess the pairing twist is one way to add more drama. Hampsters will want only one of a couple gone and not the other so.....

Handcrafted by RollDdice
'Getting older softens you into learning that love, kindness, and forgiveness are far more important than one's opinion.' Sagebrush Dan

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-14-08, 01:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
The fact that he said it is bad enough - if he said it, took it back, apologized profusely, and tried to pass it off as a lame attempt as a joke, then it could have all blown over. That I could understand, and we could resume our regularly scheduled discussion of how he's BB's possible answer to Judd Sergeant.

But he not only said it, he tried to justify it. I suppose that, once this hair salon takes off, he'll open one aimed at black folks and have a hair salon for n-----s. And it's OK because they know what they are and their parents know what they are.

Adam is so obnoxious, I actually rooted for Jacob to stay last night. And I hate that jerk.

electrick_shocks 17 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

02-15-08, 03:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail electrick_shocks Click to send private message to electrick_shocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
LAST EDITED ON 02-15-08 AT 03:44 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-15-08 AT 03:43 AM (EST)

>The fact that he said it
>is bad enough - if
>he said it, took it
>back, apologized profusely, and tried
>to pass it off as
>a lame attempt as a
>joke, then it could have
>all blown over. That I
>could understand, and we could
>resume our regularly scheduled discussion
>of how he's BB's possible
>answer to Judd Sergeant.
>
>But he not only said it,
>he tried to justify it.
>I suppose that, once this
>hair salon takes off, he'll
>open one aimed at black
>folks and have a hair
>salon for n-----s. And it's
>OK because they know what
>they are and their parents
>know what they are.
>
>Adam is so obnoxious, I actually
>rooted for Jacob to stay
>last night. And I hate
>that jerk.
>

All too often when someone makes a politically incorrect remark, he or she feels the need to grovel and apologize. Regardless if they are right or wrong.

In this case, Adam refused to kowtow to political correctness. He stood tall and basically told Shelia (not in these exact words) "I made the remark. I'm not sorry! Deal with it!" Shelia was trying to play the role of the politically correct thought police. Adam would have none of it. For that I give Adam props!

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-15-08, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Under some circumstances, I would agree, but in context of the game, he's a colossal moron for fouling up his chances as well as his partner's in the game.

Besides, he actually works with those kind of kids. People have lost their jobs for less than that on reality shows (see Strobel, Heidi, Survivor: Amazon for an example.)

Politicall incorrect may be forgivable. Colossally stupid? Not so much.

azkate 240 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-15-08, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail azkate Click to send private message to azkate Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
I just love when the "politically correct" flag gets thrown in to play because right after that will come some excuse for something that is indefensible.

What Adam said was wrong, hurtful and uneducated. It is astounding that anyone would actually hire him as a PR Manager, let alone as a PR Manager of an foundation looking to support people with special needs.

Just so you know, there are quite a few people out there who are now investigating whether his foundation is actually legit (so far it looks pretty fishy).

Also, some advocates of the autism community are blogging about this and providing CBS's phone number, website, etc. recommending that people who are upset by this contact them and let thier opinions be heard.

As a mom of a teenager on the spectrum, I know what I am going to do!

another tribe work of art

02-15-08, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
LAST EDITED ON 02-15-08 AT 11:39 AM (EST)

Agreed.
AZ - Do you have any links?
eta
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_brother_9/bio/adam/bio.php
the comments below his bio mention his org.

azkate 240 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-15-08, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail azkate Click to send private message to azkate Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Sure do.....

Go to one of my fave bloggers in autismland www.autismvox.com and you can also check out the autism hub to see who else is writing. Good stuff, good people!

another tribe work of art

sharnina 3075 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-21-08, 06:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
All too often when someone makes a politically incorrect remark, he or she feels the need to grovel and apologize. Regardless if they are right or wrong.

In this case, Adam refused to kowtow to political correctness. He stood tall and basically told Shelia (not in these exact words) "I made the remark. I'm not sorry! Deal with it!" Shelia was trying to play the role of the politically correct thought police. Adam would have none of it. For that I give Adam props!

Your perception of what "political correctness" means is somewhat skewed.

Here are some examples;
African American = politically correct
Black = not politically correct but understandable and not that big a deal
"N" word = bigoted, unforgivable, ignorant, foul, vile ...

Mentally Challenged = politically correct
Retarded = not politically correct (this also depends on the context in which the word is used) but understandable and not that big a deal
Reee-tard = bigoted, unforgivable, ignorant, vile, mean-spirited, stupid...

Shar's World

02-20-08, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Adam's charity."
http://www.unitedautismfoundation.org/

People have been talking about problems with the site -- saying it looks shabby, and the only thing that works reliably is the Donations button. Judge for yourself.

There's also a rumor going around that Adam used to work for CBS (sales), but the network claims he went through the full application process -- which for this, reads as 'what recruitment'?

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-21-08, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Adam's charity."
Either it's a fake page or very poorly done as every link cannot be accessed. The last time I had this problem was when I read the book Rose Red and went to the website and found that it too had the same issues (after all the Rose Red house as well as the Rimbaur's are fake...stupid me..lol). Something is definately fishy.

As for Adam's remark, it's offensive. It's even more offensive because he of all people should know well enough that the word is not considered as a nice way to describe individuals with mental impairments. If he was truly ignorant to the hurt involving that word then it would be a bit more excusable. Maybe the fact that he felt it was acceptable is the telltale sign that he doesn't really have that job or maybe he's pulling a scam on his fellow contestents and other unsuspecting people who donate via the site.

shaneperry 45 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-21-08, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shaneperry Click to send private message to shaneperry Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Adam is such a moron, he should be kicked off the show. And so are most of his male house mates for definding him and saying he is a nice guy who cant see why his partner cant stand him. But i think BB picked the most shallow class of people ever the show.

frisky 11684 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-08, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Lowe's pulls ads from BB"
Lowe's pulls ads from BB broadcasts

OUCH!

I guess not all publicity is good publicity, eh SeeBS>?

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.
Desperate Housecats

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-08, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
I think his charity might want to grab a helmet, because there might be INCOMING!

http://cbs4.com/entertainment/adam.autism.big.2.660407.html

surfkitten siggie shop 2007

02-22-08, 06:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Yep, this is better than any apology from CBS.

I don't want an apology from CBS....I want Adam to acknowledge he used poor judgement.

02-22-08, 11:44 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
I think he is a lost cause and I wouldn't believe anything like an apology coming out of his mouth.

02-23-08, 08:48 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
I don't think CBS should apologize for airing Adam's comments. No one should ever have to apologize for exposing a bigot.

I would want an apology from them if they'd held things back.

Adam can't hide any more. There's no way in which that's a bad thing.

Except for the 'and he'll probably win' part.

02-27-08, 06:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Adam's comments about haircuts for "retards""
Turns out he was unemployed when he entered the cage.....

The office was closed before he came in the cage.

http://tinyurl.com/2bd2bw

02-27-08, 09:26 PM (EST)
22. "Just to make it official"
He's officially fired, now.

http://tinyurl.com/39l8ak

02-28-08, 09:57 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Just to make it official"
Perfect....now I hope perspective employers remember this clown and his remarks as it shows a very vile/ignorant side of his psyche.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

Gennenut 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-28-08, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Gennenut Click to send private message to Gennenut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Just to make it official"
As the mom of a teen with aspergers who tested at age 7 at mensa levels for his IQ I can say that not only was I VERY offended by the fact that CBS aired the comment but that they are helping to continue the misconception that autistic kids are mentally retarded. Many are NOT and some in fact like my son are extremely intelligent.

CBS has in the past bleeped this word from being used on air (on amazing race I believe). Why didn't they this time? One answer - ratings. That is a very poor reason to air a word so very very offensive. This was not a live section of the show. they had time to bleep the word in editing or put a foreword by Julie in before the clip was shown. They chose not to, either assuming the word wouldnt attract this much attention or that it would bring ratings up.

As so YES CBS does owe all of us who either have a form of autism or have a loved one with autism an apology. They used us to get a ratings boost.

At this point I think a nice donation to autism research (not the foundation Adam claimed he worked for) would do nicely for an apology.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •