The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Dancing With The Stars Picks To The End II: The Precogs Strike Back."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Dancing with the Stars Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-12-09, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Dancing With The Stars Picks To The End II: The Precogs Strike Back."
Are you foresightful? Do you find yourself calling off the end of people's sentences before they even start them? Do you win the lottery every other week in the safety of your own head (because taxes are so much better there)? And can you call off an elimination order on a live results show, with no spoilers of any kind to work with, before the training even starts?

If so, you may be qualified to play this season's Picks To The End game. If not: give it a try anyway, because there may or may not be a prize. That's right: there might be a prize for the winner of this thing. Or there might not be. And yes, I can keep that up for the entire season.

Your task is simple: predict the order our couples will go out in, from the first elimination to the last. Your list must be posted by midnight on March 8th. You may freely revise your list without penalty up until that deadline as we learn about training injuries and the like: after that, it's going to cost you.

The goal of the game is to avoid points, and you score one point for every place you miss an elimination by. For example, if you pick Jewel to go out in fourth and she goes out in fourth, that's a perfect pick: no points. But if you decide her husband Ty goes out the week before her in fifth and he hangs on all the way to second, you missed it by three places: 3 points to you. (Gee, that's gonna be an interesting fight...) And if your first-place prediction goes out in Week Two or vice-versa, you're going to be hurting.

Everyone starts off even at zero points: Taffnic's win last year is good for initial bragging rights, but brings no game advantage other than psyching the rest of you out.

Because this reality show has a tendency towards (and history of) injury, there's a couple of special rules in place. If the celebrity half of a pair has to step down due to pain and isn't replaced by the show, for game purposes, that elimination never happened: no one gets any points for it no matter where that celeb is on their list. If it's early enough that they're replaced by another celebrity, you get one free slide: the new pairing can be relocated on your list at no points cost, but they're the only team you can move. (If a professional dancer gets injured, just change the other name on your entry line and move on.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
General hints:

1. Fanbases play a part, but it has more of an effect in the early going than the later stages. The less obscure tend to last longer -- but at some point, talent takes over. By the same token, predicting who Vote For The Worst is going to back and boosting them in your rankings might help you for a while: it's just not going to last.

2. You're effectively trying to predict the following: basic talent and the ability to develop same, chemistry with the professional partner, the way America will react to the couple, fanbase influence, and -- don't discount this -- the fanbase of each professional dancer: some have their own loyal followings. It's also worth looking at professions: does the celeb have a lot of training time available? Professional dedication? Lingering injuries from the day job?

3. Remember: the judges only account for half the scores. America can and does save a poor performer if that person has a lot of appeal in some other way -- just not forever.

4. There are some historic precedents. Athletes tend to go a long way. Older dancers don't always see midseason. Not everyone loves a clown, and models should stand close to the door. Don't judge based solely on trends -- but don't forget them either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This season's teams. (R) denotes a rookie in the professional ranks.

Belinda Carlisle & Jonathan Roberts
David Alan Grier & Kym Johnson
Jewel & Dmitry Chaplin (R)
Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas
Lil' Kim & Derek Hough
Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke
Ty Murray & Chelsie Hightower (R)
Steve-O & Lacey Schwimmer
Nancy O'Dell & Tony Dovolani
Denise Richards & Maksim Chmerkovskiy
Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough
Steve Wozniak & Karina Smirnoff

Pick 'em. All of 'em. If you dare.

There may or may not be consequences, too.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Sample list. Estee 02-12-09 1
 RE: Dancing With The Stars Picks To... djandy 02-18-09 2
 RE: Dancing With The Stars Picks To... qwertypie 02-21-09 3
 Game Closed. Estee 03-07-09 4
   RE: Game Closed. qwertypie 03-09-09 5
 kirc's picks kircon 03-09-09 6
   RE: kirc's picks qwertypie 03-09-09 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

02-12-09, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Sample list."
My picks don't count in the standings this season and will be tracked only for the purpose of public ridicule. (There may or may not be a prize, but the mere possibility means the host is definitely not eligible to take it. If it exists. Which it might not.) Still, if I was picking them, this would be my order -- last to first.

13. Steve Wozniak & Karina Smirnoff (No real fanbase.)
12. Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke (Who?)
11. Nancy O'Dell & Tony Dovolani (Great report on her own ouster.)
10. David Alan Grier & Kym Johnson (The curse of the comedians.)
9. Denise Richards & Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Too much drama.)
8. Steve-O & Lacey Schwimmer (VFTW's posterboy.)
7. Ty Murray & Chelsie Hightower (R) (The day job catches up.)
6. Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska (Victim of age, plus Edyta just can't wear any less.)
5. Lil' Kim & Derek Hough (Could go longer than expected.)
4. Belinda Carlisle & Jonathan Roberts (Just stays alive for nearly every week.)
3. Jewel & Dmitry Chaplin (R) (Needs talent, but has the fans.)
2. Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough (The chemistry factor.)
1. Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas (Olympics power!)

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

djandy 1711 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

02-18-09, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Dancing With The Stars Picks To The End II: The Precogs Strike Back."
13.) Steve Wozniak & Karina Smirnoff
12.) David Alan Grier & Kym Johnson
11.) Steve-O & Lacey Schwimmer
10.) Nancy O'Dell & Tony Dovolani
9.) Belinda Carlisle & Jonathan Roberts
8.) Lil' Kim & Derek Hough
7.) Denise Richards & Maksim Chmerkovsky
6.) Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke
5.) Ty Murray & Chelsie Hightower (R)
4.) Jewel & Dmitry Chaplin (R)
3.) Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
2.) Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough
1.) Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-09, 00:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Dancing With The Stars Picks To The End II: The Precogs Strike Back."
OKEY DOKEY
13.Nancy O'Dell & Tony Dovolani
12.Steve Wozniak & Karina Smirnoff
11.Ty Murray & Chelsie Hightower (R)
10.Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
9.Lil' Kim & Derek Hough
8.Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough
7.Steve-O & Lacey Schwimmer
6.Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke
5.Belinda Carlisle & Jonathan Roberts
4.Denise Richards & Maksim Chmerkovskiy
3.David Alan Grier & Kym Johnson
2.Jewel & Dmitry Chaplin (R)
1. Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas

03-07-09, 09:41 PM (EST)
4. "Game Closed."
Obviously no real interest this year, so I'll shut it down now and save some time.

03-09-09, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Game Closed."
So I get at least the bronze. WAHOO!!!

kircon 3239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-09-09, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kircon Click to send private message to kircon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "kirc's picks"
I always enter games at the last minute. I thought I would be early today. But Estee says no game. I still want to post my list. I just love the PTTE!

13.) Jewel & Dmitry Chaplin
12.) Nancy O'Dell & Tony Dovolani
11.) Steve Wozniak & Karina Smirnoff
10.) Denise Richards & Maksim Chmerkovsky
9.) Steve-O & Lacey Schwimmer
8.) David Alan Grier & Kym Johnson
7.) Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke
6.) Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
5.) Ty Murray & Chelsie Hightower
4.) Belinda Carlisle & Jonathan Roberts
3.) Lil' Kim & Derek Hough
2.) Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough
1.) Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas

03-09-09, 04:46 PM (EST)
7. "RE: kirc's picks"
I *heart* you!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •