The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Are lifts allowed this season?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Dancing with the Stars Forum (Protected)
Original message

MarkP 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-19-08, 05:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MarkP Click to send private message to MarkP Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Are lifts allowed this season?"
I am only watching on and off this season but the other night I saw Brooke do a routine filled with lifts. Carrie Anne mentioned something about her being the lift police but made light of it. Len, who in the past has been so critical of dancers trying to bend the rules said nothing and gave them a perfect 10. If lifts are allowed I understand, but if they are not how do you give someone a perfect 10?
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Are lifts allowed this season? vince3 11-19-08 1
   RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 2
       RE: Are lifts allowed this season? Snidget 11-19-08 3
           RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 4
               RE: Are lifts allowed this season? CTgirl 11-19-08 5
                   RE: Are lifts allowed this season? vince3 11-19-08 6
                   RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 7
                       RE: Are lifts allowed this season? Snidget 11-19-08 8
                           RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 9
                               RE: Are lifts allowed this season? Snidget 11-19-08 10
                                   RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 11
                                       RE: Are lifts allowed this season? Snidget 11-19-08 12
                                           RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 13
                                               RE: Are lifts allowed this season? Snidget 11-19-08 14
                                                   RE: Are lifts allowed this season? MarkP 11-19-08 15
                                                       RE: Are lifts allowed this season? qwertypie 11-20-08 16
                                                       RE: Are lifts allowed this season? byoffer 11-24-08 17
 British Version Starshine 11-24-08 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-19-08, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
I think what's going on, is that the 4 newer dance types that they incorporated this year, have lifts included in their design. That's why the 2nd dance got 28, even though there were lifts in it.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

11-19-08, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MarkP Click to send private message to MarkP Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
I guess that means that lifts are allowed this year? If so why did Carrie Anne even mention the old lift police thing again? Either they are allowed or they aren't, and if they aren't shame on Len for being so hypocritical of lifts in the past and then handing out a 10 to a dance that was filled with them.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

11-19-08, 06:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
As best as I can tell they are ONLY allowed for the 4 new non-traditional dances they have.

For all the dances they have always done before the no-lift rule is still in effect.

The free-style in the finale has always had a you can lift for this style only rule. Looks like they extended it to the 4 new dances (swing, salsa, jitterbug and whatever the other one was). The week they did those dances before they all got to do lifts only for those dances.

So they aren't allowed, except for certain dance styles, when they are just for those dance styles.

11-19-08, 06:12 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
I'm not too sure about that - why then did Carrie Anne mention the lift if it was allowed the other night? Sounded to me like it wasn't allowed. Either way sounds like a very gray area they should explain to the viewers.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

11-19-08, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
What Snidget said is how I understood it too.

Carrie Ann said (to paraphrase) - I'm usually the lift police, but lifts are allowed in this dance, you did a lot of them and you did them well.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

11-19-08, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
Hustle, Jitterbug, Salsa, and West Coast Swing are the 4 types.

11-19-08, 06:50 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
I had it drv-d...just watched that part again she said "You know I am the lift police and there were a lot of lifts in there, whoo were there a lot of lifts...but they were working it and they were all very appropriate to the number"...that to me does not mean they were allowed - that to me means they decided to let it slide.

11-19-08, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-08 AT 07:01 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 11-19-08 AT 06:57 PM (EST)

The week they did the salsa and the jitterbug before the "let it slide" for every single person that did them and the hustle and the swing.

EVERYONE.

They aren't just letting Brooke slide and again this week it looked like EVERYONE that did the salsa and jitter bug had one or more lifts.

They seem to allow them for those four dances and for the freestyle.

They are still not allowing them in any other dance style.

In previous years they have done occasional one week suspensions of the no lift rule.

They can change the lift rule for whatever dance styles they want to. It is dance style specific, just like the free style has always allowed lifts.

I never understood why they have a no lift except when they allow it policy anyway. *shrug* But when they have allowed it for one dancer for either a give week or for specific dance styles it is lifted for all the dancers.

I will say that usually for a lift suspension people do one or maybe two small lifts. Brook and Derek sure did do a lot of them.

ETF: clarity
Edit #2

Here is the link for the week they did those dance styles before and allowed lifts for those dance styles only
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID87/524.shtml#33 since I don't think you believe me.

They have been scoring down for all other lifts in all the usual styles like they always do. Those four dance styles (like the freestyle) apparently have a different set of rules for them.

11-19-08, 07:04 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
I am not saying they only let Brooke to lifts - but she did the most so it was so obvious. As far as freestyle goes they always make a point to tell the viewers lifts are allowed - in fact they make a huge deal about it so its crystal clear we all should be expecting lifts...and in freestyle Carrie Anne has never mentioned being lift police comment - sounded to me like she wasn't in on it (why would she make that comment otherwise). The facts are the viewers were never told lifts were allowed like the always are and Carrie Anne made a comment about the lifts that sounded to me like even though the lifts weren't allowed they sure worked. I am all for the lifts - but let us in on it.

11-19-08, 07:10 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-08 AT 07:15 PM (EST)

Maybe they assumed people watched the week I put the link in for when they allowed them for those dance styles earlier in the season.

Why allow it that week and not this week?

I think Carrie Ann did a bad job of explaining what she meant, but lifts being allowed in the salsa and jitterbug has been totally consistent all season long.

But again I don't think you will believe me even though I've watched the entire season and we documented this lift policy when it happened for these dance styles a few weeks ago.

ETA: Also every single lift in every dance of the traditional styles (anything they did before this year, so anything other than the four mentioned) has been noted as illegal, really!

11-19-08, 07:24 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
When you say we documented the lift policy when it happened a few weeks ago do you mean that one post where someone said "they obviously dropped the lift ban this week."? I'm serious - is that what you are talking about? If so it does explain that they did lifts another week and the judges did not say anything. As I said I am on and off this year....but years past I have watched every week as you did and don't remember this. My point still stands - if you are going to change the way this show has been judged for years (allowing lifts in something other than the freestyle) they really should let the viewers know....unless I missed something in that link which says they did in fact let the viewers know that week.

11-19-08, 07:28 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-08 AT 07:30 PM (EST)

Sigh. Do you just really need to pick a fight with someone today?

They didn't specifically say that they allowed lifts for those dances.

I and another person noted on the Play by play thread that there were lifts and they were not being docked for them. The implication is they are allowed for those FOUR dance styles.

I don't really need a full rundown of the rules and every change, but it would be nice.

However I don't think any show of any kind ever really lets the public see what the list of rules are.

I suggest to complain to ABC, I can't make them state the rules but I have seen EVERY dance all season long and I can tell you they are not allowing lifts except for the four new dance styles this season.

They have done other suspensions of the no-lift rule in previous seasons. I can't remember which season but they did a one week you can do a lift if you want in any of the styles. I really think they have the ability and probably the right to make up whatever arbitrary rules they want. It would be nice to explain them better, but like I said they really don't want the public to have the full list of rules for any show on TV.

11-19-08, 07:45 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
>LAST EDITED ON 11-19-08
>AT 07:30 PM (EST)

>
>Sigh. Do you just really
>need to pick a fight
>with someone today? .
>
>
Pick a fight? I simply asked a legitimate question. I thought my question was fairly clear and when you pointed out a link to a 40 post thread I thought I may have missed something when I did not read anything in which my actual question was answered....so I asked again. You gave me the answer I was looking for in your final post (that they did not specifically say they allowed lifts for those dances). I don't think that deserved the sigh or the pick a fight comment, but then again what do I know about posting on this board - you have me beat by over 20,000 posts.

11-19-08, 07:51 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-08 AT 07:52 PM (EST)

Sorry, you just seemed a bit argumentative in the way you've been writing on this thread and that I really feel like you think I, personally, am trying to pull one over on you or somehow be less than honest about what I observed.

I may be mis-reading your intent but they allowed lifts in those styles before, they have allowed lifts at other times in the past. I can't make them follow the rules you think they should in the way you think they should do it.

If you are upset with ABC or the producers of the show please do not take that anger out on me, and it feels like that is what you are doing. Again, I may be misreading the posts and if it makes you happy I won't respond to you again since I can't seem to do that the way you want me to do it.

11-19-08, 08:14 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
Misreading my intent? My intent was to get an answer to the question if they told the viewers lifts were allowed. That was the extent of my intent and I thought it was a fair question. The answers I got were basically "looks like they are allowing it." Obviously after hearing this was done a few weeks prior they are allowing it and I was trying to get anyone to tell me if they actually said they were. Perhaps I should have made that clearer. As far as what I think should be done, making them follow my rules, and if I am upset go to ABC, etc...I didn't realize I could not voice an opinion regarding how the show is run on this forum. I have seen opinions on these forums on how many of the other shows are run so I thought I could give my 2 cents here without sarcastic comments back telling me to go complain to ABC. As far as "anger," I am not the one with the sighs, picking the fight comment, calling you argumentative, sarcastic comments about how I want the show run, etc.etc. Feel free to read my posts again - you 10000% misread my intent. Apology accepted.

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-08, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
JMO - Carrie Ann LOVES to hear herself talk even though it might not always make sense or be appropriate (and often borders on the rude and condescending). I think that is what happened here.

In a nut-shell - lifts in other dances BAD
lifts in four new dances TOLERABLE
Carrie Ann's comment also got me scratching my head.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Are lifts allowed this season?"
Ah, Mark, do you realize that a) this site has nothing to do with the actual show producers, b) fair question or not, no one here owns you a response, and c) even if you do get a response it is just the poster's opinion.

Opinions posted are just opinions of the posters. Snidget has expressed her opinion about the rules, and while it is well thought out and researched (even including links ) it is not the opinion of the actual show. So cut her and the others some slack.

Look closely at this thread:
- You posted a question about lifts.
- in post 1, Vince posted his opinion "I think what's going on"
- in post 2 you responded a bit strongly, almost cross-examining vince on his post.
- in post 3 snidget tried to clarify her understanding of the rules
- in post 4 you disagreed "I'm not too sure about that"
- in post 5 CTgirl added what she could remember from the show
- in post 7 you quoted from your recording, in almost a cross-examination style
After that the discussion got a bit "warmer". My read - and this is just my opinion from reading - is that it was your posts that had an argumentative tone.

I hope that is just a style thing, and that your tone just came across differently than you intended.

More importantly, the show is on in a few hours, so let's let this die and start a new thread to discuss tonight's performances!

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

11-24-08, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "British Version"
LAST EDITED ON 11-24-08 AT 05:00 PM (EST)

Over here there is a dance called "American Smooth" which is intended to be very Fred and Ginger and is the first dance where lifts are allowed, it is normally introduced with six to eight dancers left (when the dangerous/inept celebs should have left).

Apart from that only the freestyle in the final.

<sigh> for the third year running we will have two in the final which really ruins it imo

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •