The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Dancing with the Stars Forum (Protected)
Original message

observer 209 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-25-08, 01:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail observer Click to send private message to observer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
When Mario Lopez didn't win during a previous season, I thought that the show was fixed. Mario is a good dancer and very popular. I think he got the most votes.

I think this season is fixed so that Yamaguchi will win. I think Matlin deserved 7's, but the judges gave her 8's, so that she wouldn't be the first dancer voted off.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... Snidget 03-25-08 1
   RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... mindy23 03-25-08 2
       RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... Snidget 03-25-08 3
       RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... observer 03-25-08 4
           RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... Snidget 03-25-08 5
               RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... observer 03-25-08 8
                   RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... frodis 03-25-08 9
                       RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... observer 03-25-08 10
                           Back on topic, folks Bebo 03-25-08 11
 RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... vince3 03-25-08 6
   RE: I think the show is fixed. The ... JessicaRN 03-25-08 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-08, 05:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
I'm not sure the show is fixed (in that they would completely ignore the votes and crown who they want).

I do think sometimes the judges do up their score or lower their score to try to save someone, or make someone leave, rather than just score based on the performance.

I don't think they'll crown Kristi if she doesn't have the votes. I do think they cast her because women haven't been doing that well on the show and she is likely to make it near the end since she has a built-in fan base and a lot of the right physical skills to do well.

There are always a couple of people who have a lot of experience that should translate, sometimes they make it to the end. Sometimes inexplicably they get voted off because built-in fan bases often don't care how well someone danced, they will vote anyway.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-25-08, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
This is the ONE show that combines judges scores with voters call-in's, so I have a tendency to disagree with the 'fixed' statement. Otherwise, the young lady who was doing so remarkably well last season (the one who danced with Kristi's partner of this year) would not have been voted off so soon-Sabrina someone. She was an amazing dancer, and everyone knew it! She just didn't get the votes. If it had been fixed, she would have.

Yes, athletes have a tendency to win, but you have to realize they come from a place that most of us can't even conceive of: rigourous training, constant discipline, stretching their minds and bodies in ways the normal human never would or could. THAT in itself makes a champion. BUT, in Monica Sellis' case, without some sort of musicalilty, it doesn't work, though. Apollo had it, the boxer, and football stars before him, and the race car driver after him, all had it. Kristi is working on it, and it's coming more natural to her. Why? Who knows!

But for someone like Adam Corolla, who is mostly a comedian, loud-mouth, what kind of discipline is really involved in his life, when it comes to making his body do things for hours on end that he'd never dream of doing even 2 months ago?

Anyway, having said all that, I do not believe it is fixed. Otherwise, boy band members would be winning, or Broadway singers and dancers would have more of an edge than athletes.

03-25-08, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
I will agree the cast people the know have little chance of winning as well as casting some people that are likely to do really well (like athletes or people with other dance background).

It has to do with entertainment value. I dunno if the show would get the ratings if everyone was extraordinary every week. Nor would it do well if it was all people who were never going to figure out how to dance.

IMO, part of the appeal is watching people who wouldn't normally do this actually be able to learn, even if they aren't great. On the other hand you need a couple of performances that wow us. What is interesting is watching for who you wouldn't expect to be good become really good. Athletes have the determination, but don't always have the performance abilty or the right moves to do well. Performers/comedians may not always have the moves, and may not have the discipline to get as physically good, but they know how to sell the performance and show their personality.

It takes a good mix to make an interesting story. Even if that means half the people on the show are "cannon fodder" you expect to be voted out early.

03-25-08, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail observer Click to send private message to observer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
Tennis players and speed skaters might, or might not, have dancing ability, but ice skaters are athletes/dancers on ice.

Figure skaters, when training for the Olympics, skate maybe four hours a day, and typically have a dancing lesson every day.

03-25-08, 12:18 PM (EST)
5. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
Boy banders and Broadway stars usually do some sort of dance training as well.

I assume any of the athletes no matter which sport are used to physically training several hours a day.

I agree that the ice skaters type of sport will translate to dancing more than others (used to expressing the music, etc.)

I think the speed skating translate more than one would think because of the balance required. I would think tennis would translate better than it seems to be since there is some footwork ability like you see with boxing.

03-25-08, 12:46 PM (EST)
8. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
Typically figure skaters who win the Olympic gold medal are athletic, as well as graceful/natural dancers.

I wonder if whover it was that got the third place medal to Yamaguchi's first... if that skater competed on Dancing with the Stars, if they might end up dancing like Monica Seles.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-25-08, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
The 1992 Olympic bronze medalist was Nancy Kerrigan. I don't think she'd have to worry if she were to have to go head-to-head in a gracefulness contest with Monica Seles.

I think that some of the dancers on this show certainly do have an edge with their previous experience, but in the end it comes down to the fans.

Also, what's the use in rigging this competition? All that's riding on it is that gawdawful trophy - no one is putting out big bucks on a contract or career or even a cash prize. I don't know that ABC cares all that much who wins, except that I'm sure they'd like to see the fan favorites stick around long enough to watch the show all the way to the finale.

Winter wonderland a la Arkie!

(They only way Monica and Nancy do compare is that each got attacked while training/playing her sport.)

03-25-08, 02:22 PM (EST)
10. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
Nancy Kerrigan is graceful, but Oksana Baiul skates as gracefully as a ballerina.

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-08, 09:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Back on topic, folks"
This forum is about Dancing With the Stars, not figure skaters. Please get back to discussing the show.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-08, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
If this show was fixed, Stacy Kiebler would have won her season, busted ankle and all....... and then she might be a pro paired with one of the male celebs by now.........

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-25-08, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I think the show is fixed. The skater will win. Also, Matlin got sympathy points. "
I also think the only bias might be in how this season was cast. Except for Jason and Mario, the other men don't have a chance of winning, but several of the women are pretty good. Having said that, I still think that Jason could win it all.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •