The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Hell's Kitchen Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-07-06, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Please keep the details of Virginia's inevitable jacket piercing on this thread until the West Coast gets to see the moment when she realizes that Gordon will never, ever truly love her as much as he loves her chicken. And he's not going to marry the chicken. He's already married, thank you. (They're not going to show us the moment when he tells her that, because he's not going to tell her that. There's knives everywhere...)
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 1
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Snidget 08-07-06 2
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 3
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 4
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 5
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Estee 08-07-06 6
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Snidget 08-07-06 8
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 7
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 9
           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 10
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Estee 08-07-06 11
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 12
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Estee 08-07-06 13
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 22
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 14
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Labyrinth 08-07-06 27
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 15
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... jonimoni 08-07-06 17
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 16
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... KaysarGOTjipped 08-07-06 18
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 19
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... jonimoni 08-07-06 21
           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... foonermints 08-08-06 29
               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... jonimoni 08-08-06 35
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 20
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 23
           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... mysticwolf 08-07-06 24
               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... HM Queen Cheryl 08-07-06 25
               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-07-06 26
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... vegasgal 08-08-06 28
           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... BOYmeetsREALITY 08-08-06 30
 RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... drtantalum 08-08-06 31
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Labyrinth 08-08-06 32
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... drtantalum 08-09-06 37
           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... dogmanstar 08-09-06 38
               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... drtantalum 08-10-06 41
   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Fishercat 08-08-06 33
       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Cyndimaus 08-08-06 34
           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... drtantalum 08-09-06 36
               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Cyndimaus 08-09-06 39
                   RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Labyrinth 08-09-06 40
                       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... drtantalum 08-10-06 42
                           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... FlyinBrian 08-10-06 43
                               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... weltek 08-10-06 44
                           RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... Cyndimaus 08-10-06 45
                               RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... drtantalum 08-11-06 47
                       RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 Ea... DontGetMeStarted 08-11-06 46

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-06, 09:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
And we get to watch the bus running over Sarah one more time.

Did I see someone named Larry on the credits? I don't remember anyone named Larry. Did I write about Larry?

I must be getting old.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-06, 09:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Did Virginia say she had a whole new skin on life?

It's a tribe creation!

or do I need to clean out my ears?

08-07-06, 09:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Ayep. That's what came out of her mouth.

Pack Alpha Status Accorded by Tribe blogging's scary

08-07-06, 09:18 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Carpy Altoids commercial! That's a tenrec. They have hair (albeit very stiff hair), not spines. The hair doesn't come out like a porcupine!

And then we wonder where all of the misinformation comes from.

08-07-06, 09:21 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
And Virginia gets reward again. Quality time with Chef where he'll spend the time trying to teach her how to handle a kitchen and a line.

Hmmmm...

And the others have a whine fest and tear her down. Sorry, she had a right to feel proud of herself.

08-07-06, 09:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Heather's almost at the point where she's making me doubt Virginia -- but there isn't a reality editor alive who could have resisted showing us the recipe if it was in that book.

Besides, I'd like to get a real novelty: a Heather confessional without a nervous breakdown.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-06, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Do we know which book it was, many of his books on amazon have a look inside feature, haven't found that recipe so far.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-07-06, 09:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
She did have that right, but it doesn't mean that what the other two chefs had to say may not have merit. Let's face it, a person who has been the worst chef in the kitchen since there were five remaining, keeps winning single-dish challenges and being human waste on the line.

Basically, if I were in a situation with three people, and there were two people who were that much better, week in and week out, and that lesser chef won every damn time, I'd be pissed and perhaps even a conspiracy theorist.

08-07-06, 09:36 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Perhaps, but it's easier to teach kitchen skills than it is to teach someone how to put ingredients together in a way that works well.

08-07-06, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
However, this isn't a farm system. This is a competition of current skills to find a chef for a multi-million dollar restaurant for our amusement. Basically, they're looking for the best chef in a specific situation, and Virginia just isn't the caliber of the other two chefs, specifically Heather (who I don't like that much).

08-07-06, 09:39 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Virginia's strengths are taste and creativity. She could probably design a menu for a restaurant, and she can cook when the pressure isn't on. I think her natural position is television chef. Lead someone through a recipe on the Food Network, original creations, eventual cookbook. Definitely possible for her.

But as for running a place? Big question mark.

08-07-06, 09:41 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Cripes, the irony detector broke in my house when Ramsay told Keith that he didn't like his attitude. If anyone realizes that a kitchen is about the food and not the personality and how good it is, it should be Ramsay.

Basically, unless Keith rips Ramsay's head off (and if he does, the show's over and Keith wins), there's no way Virginia shouldn't go home. It's two different levels of line cooking.

08-07-06, 09:48 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
(and if he does, the show's over and Keith wins)

I didn't know the grand prize was Garrett's old job.

08-07-06, 10:10 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Do you know how much it hurts when your beer shoots out of your nose?

Sharkie wipe, please.

08-07-06, 09:50 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
So, at this point, is there anyway the Lord of Cooking and Hypocrisy doesn't send Keith home? Seriously? This episode seem pretty clearly rigged (not in that sense, but certainly skewed) to promote Virginia as a worthy competitor to Heather (which she isn't) and as a victim to H&K's evil wiles. Really, you give Keith overcooked Spaghetti and Virginia a wrong order? Is that even a similar mistake? Undercooked beef wellington I could see, but a whole different fish?

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-07-06, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
>Really, you give Keith overcooked
>Spaghetti and Virginia a wrong
>order? Is that even a
>similar mistake? Undercooked beef wellington
>I could see, but a
>whole different fish?

Right... Keith has to TASTE the product... and Virginia clearly heard that Ramsay set Heather up with a sabotage and then she is next in line as head chef --- and she has to tell the difference between a WHITE FISH and a PINK FISH?

Virginia was being led all the way to beat one of the two favorites - and it was a clear set up by Ramsay and co. Why do you think the "prize" was what it was...? To give Virginia the skills to stop acting like a dumba** while on the line.

Why has Virginia worked VEGETABLES for the last two weeks? Because any attempt at cooking meat would fail - which it did today when she couldn't even cook a damn piece of fish (which BTW I have and it takes less then 10 minutes and you don't put it on the high heat like you do a steak - wake up Virginia honey).

My predictions for next week - she'll design a nicer menu and restaurant decor then Heather but she will fail in leading her team as she cannot step in and cook anything. When did she cook risotto? When did she cook a Beef Wellington? When has she cooked anything but sorched peas and a burnt salmon?

08-07-06, 09:51 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
I have to admit it, I'm actually starting to like Virginia better than the other two. She can't handle the pressure of a large, complex service at a station, but she does seem to have the pallate, she shows a willingmess to learn, she can, on a smaller, less complex scale, cook.

jonimoni 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-07-06, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jonimoni Click to send private message to jonimoni Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
I have one thing to say, WAH ZOO!!!

08-07-06, 09:58 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
I guess it depends what Ramsay wants. Does he want some clay or does he want a statue? If he wants the two best chefs for a high-pressure line kitchen, H&K are the clear choices. If he wants a weaker, miniature, version of him, take Virginia.

KaysarGOTjipped 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-07-06, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KaysarGOTjipped Click to send private message to KaysarGOTjipped Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
WEll? Who got the ax? I've been reading and waiting!

lol

08-07-06, 10:04 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Keith got the boot, and he finally spoke up for Ramsay. 100% spot on as far as I am concerned.

08-07-06, 10:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jonimoni Click to send private message to jonimoni Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
The gigantic bridge troll got the axe, he has all the personality of a couple of rotten eggs. Buh, bye....

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-06, 01:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Keith can go home now and join his family under the bridge.

08-08-06, 07:49 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Can you imagine his children? I think I am going to be ill....

08-07-06, 10:05 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Frankly, none of them are capable of taking on the Red Rock. But, any of them are capable of taking a role like last year's winner. He chose the apprenticeship under Ramsay, and I think that, given the choice, that's what any of these folks should do.

That said, I think that Keith would have taken the restaurant, instead. And, that would have been a major mistake on both his, and Ramsay's part.

JMHO

08-07-06, 10:10 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
So, basically because Ramsay thinks that Keith would take the prize in the event, he should be eliminated. That's weak.

08-07-06, 10:53 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Weak in one way, yes. But, strong in three other ways.

1) It got peeps talking and provided drama for the show

2) It probably saved the restaurant and Ramsay's reputation in Vegas.

3) It probably saved the media storm that would have ensued when Keith got replaced at the restaurant shortly after taking over.

Remember, Ramsay promises them the job, I've never seen a timeline on it like there is on Apprentice or Branson's show. They both promise(d) a year in the job. Ramsay's made no such promise. You get it and can't handle it, you get replaced.

HM Queen Cheryl 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-07-06, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HM%20Queen%20Cheryl Click to send private message to HM%20Queen%20Cheryl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Maybe he wants someone who unlike Michael wont let their significant other talk them out of being an apprentice. Virginia looks like she'd walk over her own grandmother if it were to get a win. Plus heather tries to do too much. Lets face it Ramsay wants a clone and Virginia is that clone. If heather spent as much time whining she'd have won the challenge. Did that look like mashed potatoes in it...no.

08-07-06, 11:48 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
The drama part is logical and makes sense. A majority of the people I've talked to think this was a joke. It will generate buzz that the salad chef who fails at vegetables is in the F2 over a person who was the 2nd best chef in the competition.

As for Ramsay's rep: hah. Anyone who hasn't always snubbed Ramsay for leaving fate up to a reality television show won't take the winner as a serious, hand-picked apprentice of the chef.

And even if what you say about reputation is true...that invalidates point three, as Ramsay would fire his ##### before the restaruant dies. It'd be 2 or 3.

vegasgal 1 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-06, 00:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vegasgal Click to send private message to vegasgal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
I agree with you there. I doubt that Virgina for sure would not be able to handle it. As for Heather, I feel she would might be able to handle the rest. Although the only reason I go Red Rock is for the Buffet, it will be interesting... Come to think of it I don't think I have even seen were the rest. is locatated.

BOYmeetsREALITY 308 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-08-06, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BOYmeetsREALITY Click to send private message to BOYmeetsREALITY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Hey VEGASGAL!

Sorry to stray further off course....but....

Can you tell me exactly WHERE the Red Rock Casino is located???

I go to Vegas quite often and had never even heard about it before Hell's Kitchen aired this season.
We can't even imagine where it might be located!

Thanks!

drtantalum 36 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-06, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drtantalum Click to send private message to drtantalum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Ramsey made the correct decision. Keith should have left based on his poor performance running the kitchen, his poor performance on the challenge (he never got the fish, the puree or the sauce correct....0 for 3) and his general attitude through the entire thing. If it wasn't for his cooking during service he could have been gone much earlier just for his attitude.

I think people are misunderstanding what an executive chef typically does on a day to day basis. An executive chefs does not tend to run the day to day service from the hotplate but may do so every now and then. The executive chef has a head sous chef to control the kitchen so they don't have to.

An executive chef's job usually includes the following:
-foster creativity on the menu
-plan the menus and new menu ideas (can be done in collaboration with a good head sous chef or head chef)
-come up with new recipes (again in collaboration with the head sous chef much of the time)
-manage the kitchen in terms of food purchases, profits, quality, equipment maintenance
-usually cook for special functions though some do cook on a regular basis

So depending on how the restaurant is set up is what is going to influence the decision. This position is for a restaurant that will be open for about 5 months at the time the winner is announced. They have all the kitchen staff etc and presumably the kitchen runs just fine. They aren't really looking for a full-time Kitchen leader but a chef with creativity and a good palate.

Palate and creativity are the things that Virginia excels in. After nailing Ramsey's recipe there was no way she was going home.

As well for someone who hasn't read his cookbook Heather was pretty damn sure that recipe was in there. There are two possibilities: 1) Heather knew that the recipe was in there because she to looked at it while thumbing through or 2) she was a sore loser because she got shown up by a "lesser" chef. I'm guessing it was #2.

08-08-06, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
And this is what a business owner does ---

1.) Reviews work performance of employees. Hires and fires.

2.) Decides on advertisement placement and budget.

3.) Hires outsource of firms i.e. contractors, accountants, marketing etc...

4.) Deals with unhappy customers. Deals with possible legal difficulties (first person contact) for anyone that is unhappy such as a chipped tooth because of a bone left in food etc...

5.) Purchasing of food - this would also require knowledge of how much the restaurant would need with the minimum of waste. Reality is most restaurants fail due to not being able to plan for perishable goods and end up with too much waste.

6.) Knowledge of local liquor laws and licensures, as well as health inspections.

7.) Being the boss - she/he would have to step in AT ANY POSITION and fill the hole left by an employee who did not show up for work.

Let's see now Virginia has cooked sorched peas... doesn't know how to cook fish... and she doesn't know how to cook a Beef Wellington even though the "chefs" have been cooking this same crap for over 2 months. She hasn't done any of the chores of running a restaurant and spent her $1,000 at the cook shop buying a bunch of crap. I guess she can open up a Salad Restaurant in Vegas.

For some reason Keith did not shine last night. I think he blew yes. He definitely has more going for him then Virginia as he work UNDER PRESSURE and HE CAN COOK.

Heather is uneven but she has shown throughout the program that she can lead and she can cook. She can hustle and she knows the entire line.

08-09-06, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail drtantalum Click to send private message to drtantalum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
I think you miss the point of what the show is looking for. They are not looking for a top chef to OPEN a restaurant and truly run the kitchen. The restaurant is already open and the kitchen is already being run by a head chef and sous chef. That is unlikely to change. It is a competition to give someone a leg up in the industry and the "executive chef" title is not meant for the person creating the restaurant from scratch in this case. It is meant to bring someone in who is a relatively undisicovered talent that can inject some creativity into the restaurant menu within the guidelines already set forth and LEARN the ropes in the kitchen and how to be an executive chef. For that job they are looking for various things: one is leadership, one is cooking (and like it or not they can all cook and do it well. they also all make mistakes pretty much every service), one is creativity, one is palate, and most importantlyhow teachable are they? Keith excelled in cooking and nothing more from what I caould tell.

As for Keith cooking under pressure: well under the pressure of creating a signature dish based on taste he failed misearbly not getting any of the main ingredients correct...from the fish, to the puree to the sauce. Yeah he can cook fish in a kitchen of a busy restaurant. So can a large percentage of the population when given the chance and couple months to learn. That makes him a cook not a chef. He doesn't have the intangibles needed to become a chef IMO. The main thing being his attitude and unwillingness to learn. His attitude doesn't fly in a kitchen until you are at the top of the totem pole. Which was Ramsay's point when Keith fired back "your rude to me all the time" and Ramsay replied "So?". That's the reason he's gone. Sure he can cook from a recipe but he fails to excel in other areas and in the end his atittude more than anything sunk him. Virginia excelled in all areas to tell you the truth except one...she at times gets flustered while running a station of a busy. That isn't the end of the world and something that simple experience will get her up to speed. Experience was not going to get Keith to lose the attitude or develop a palate.

dogmanstar 1 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-06, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dogmanstar Click to send private message to dogmanstar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
>I think you miss the point
>of what the show is
>looking for. They are
>not looking for a top
>chef to OPEN a restaurant
>and truly run the kitchen.
> The restaurant is already
>open and the kitchen is
>already being run by a
>head chef and sous chef.
> That is unlikely to
>change.

Didn't the trip to Vegas show that the restaurant is not already open? Wasn't it still under construction?

I agree that the takes Ramsey has them doing now, don't necessarily reflect what they'll be called upon to do later. It's more about seeing who can rise to the challenge. The "challenge" is basically anything Ramsey asks of them.

I really had pegged Keith (can I get a loud "K-Grease!") to win and thought he was, overall, the strongest of the bunch. In the end, I think he sabotaged himself with his over confidence and bad attitude. He certainly deserved to stay more than Heather did.

08-10-06, 10:57 AM (EST)
41. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
From what I understand the restaurant is T-Bones Chophouse and Lounge. It's been open since April.

08-08-06, 05:07 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
And if all that happens to be true, then Ramsay has been testing the wrong qualities for two seasons. If he's looking to foster creativity, plan the menu, come up with recipes, manage food purchases/profits/etc., and rarely cook...then he should make a Top Chef clone. On Bravo, they have a show that really tests those qualities with opener challenges similar to Ramsay and then main challenges where the people cook limited meals with new recipes and menus: Project Runway for food.

Hell's Kitchen has been testing on kitchen skills and not much else until the Final 2. Basically, if what you say is correct, he's testing a cook and not an exec. chef.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-08-06, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
It always seemed to me he was looking for someone who was fairly well-rounded and able to deal with the many aspects of being the one "in-charge". All the challenges touched on the different aspects like menu planning, food prep, etc.

Hey, Hey! It's a Tribephyl creation!

08-09-06, 08:29 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
>It always seemed to me he
>was looking for someone who
>was fairly well-rounded and able
>to deal with the many
>aspects of being the one
>"in-charge". All the challenges touched
>on the different aspects like
>menu planning, food prep, etc.

Indeed. And like it or not Virginia has done well on the challenges. And when the challenge involves cooking she has also done well.

And I dare to say he's also looking for someone who is willing to learn. This whole executive chef thing is just a title. Not a single one of them are qualified to hold such a title. But two of them are capable of learning what it takes to hold that title....Heather and Virginia. Both can cook. Both have creativity and both have a good palate. But both are more than willing to leave the attitude outside the kitchen and learn. Keith from day one wasn't willing to do that. So he's gone.

Virginia can cook as she has shown in the challenges and a decent amount of time in the kitchen (remember they focus the editing on to abotu 10 minutes of a 180 minute service). If she wasn't doing atleast a decent job in the kitchen she would be gone. Yes she gets confused and lost but by and large her cooking is just fine. And here attitude and willingness to learn is excellent. Which is why she is still around.

08-09-06, 06:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
You're right that Virginia has done well on the challenges. My concern about her is how she reacts under pressure. Has there been a service yet that she hasn't freaked out in some way when things got tough for her? The restaurant business is a pressure-filled business. Could she learn to deal with this better or is that her natural way of dealing with stress? ("Guys, I can't!)

08-09-06, 07:22 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
What episode did Virginia successfully cook an entree? Not veggies... not appetizers... not dessert.. a MEAL.

Looking back on this, Virginia was obviously set up by HK production to become one of the last two. She was given the easy veggie center two weeks in a row, and appetizers before that (please can't they all cook risotto by now??). And when she tried fish, she screwed that up and was quickly removed.

It wasn't her original dish that Chef picked - she was SECOND. It was Keith's dish and it was put on the menu for the night - NOT Virginia's dish (which if it was so good why not both?).

So Keith didn't get the fish right - Virginia snooping through the back kitchen figured out it was beans. Heather only got the fish right not the sauce. And you know what? I think that the recipe is in the book -or one similar. It is not uncommon in a cookbook to use the same ingredients esp. to compliment a certain type of food. With fish you often use lemon - so it's not a big jump to figure it would be grapefruit.

But I guess the position of "your own restaurant" means you don't have to cook but design dishes. Okayyyyyyyy. I think the folks who advertise this show needs to stop saying on each commercial break about "who will win their own restaurant." If they are just a line cook or some lackey under management then let's drop the "own a restaurant" baloney.

08-10-06, 11:05 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Keith didn't get the fish right or the puree or the sauce. 0 for 3

Heather got the fish correct. 1 for 3.

Virginia got the fish right, the puree right and the sauce correct (the biggest win and pat on the back goes to getting the sauce right). 3 for 3. She got the puree right because she recognized it wasn't potatoes. It clicked it was beans when she saw them. It didn't click with the others.

Until someone can show that recipe is in the cookbook AND show that neither Heather nor Keith flipped through a Gordon Ramsay cookbook before or during the taping of the show they don't have a point of contention. Virginia got a cookbook. Do you really think she hoarded that cookbook 24-7, kept it under lock and key etc so that Heather or Keith couldn't look at it? Of course not she showed off everything she got and both heather and Keith had oppurtunity to read it as well. These people are free to do and buy things while taping. I don't believe it is like big brother where they are locked in the house 24-7.

FlyinBrian 37 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-06, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FlyinBrian Click to send private message to FlyinBrian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
When I heard Heather keep whining about the recipe being in the book, I said "Why haven't YOU read the book?" She knew she was going on Gordon Ramsey's show to cook in his restaurant, didn't she think those recipe's might come up? Even if it just gives you a head start on what you will be cooking every night. If Virginia was flipping through a cookbook the night before, and Heather was off in the hot tub with Keith, who deserves to win?

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-06, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Anyone that dares sit in a hottub with Keith deserves to win SOMETHING.

08-10-06, 05:06 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
She got the puree right because she recognized it wasn't potatoes. It clicked it was beans when she saw them. It didn't click with the others.

But would she have guessed beans if she hadn't seen them? And did the others see them? They didn't show us whether they did or not but both Heather and Keith are smart enough to make the connection if they'd had the mental prompt like Virginia did.

I don't know if she actually saw a similar recipe ahead of time or not. It did seem odd that her dish varied so greatly from the others, though. Different fish, different puree, different spices. But hey, I'm not a conspiracy theorist...

08-11-06, 08:10 AM (EST)
47. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
LAST EDITED ON 08-11-06 AT 08:14 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-11-06 AT 08:11 AM (EST)

>She got the puree right because
>she recognized it wasn't potatoes.
>It clicked it was beans
>when she saw them. It
>didn't click with the others.

>
>
>But would she have guessed beans
>if she hadn't seen them?
>And did the others see
>them? They didn't show us
>whether they did or not
>but both Heather and Keith
>are smart enough to make
>the connection if they'd had
>the mental prompt like Virginia
>did.
>

>I don't know if she actually
>saw a similar recipe ahead
>of time or not. It
>did seem odd that her
>dish varied so greatly from
>the others, though. Different fish,
>different puree, different spices. But
>hey, I'm not a conspiracy
>theorist...
>
>
>
>Hey, Hey! It's a Tribephyl
>creation!

I realize she wouldn't have gotten the beans without seeing them...she said as much. However, neither Keith nor Heather recognized it wasn't potatoes. They immediately grabbed potatoes. Had they recognized it wasn't potatoes they to may have had something click when they looked around for 10 seconds. And i believe there were other ingredients they all used that rack so they all should have seen them. Regardless the key was recognizing it wasn't potatoes. The necessary "mental prompt" was recognizing it wasn't potatoes and sopping for a bit and trying to figure out what else it could be. Nothing wrong with taking a look at what's available. It's what good chefs do...look around for inspiration and see what clicks. It was a good bet the recipe was going to have a few things in it they hadn't cooked with yet. Heather also got the fish correct so that part didn't differ.

It was a test of palate and while keith may have created a very good original dish a couple of weeks back he clearly doesn't have discerning taste skills. Not a slam or anything. It's one difference between a good chef at a local downtown restaurant and a great chef who has better tools to create dishes. They can identify what goes into other good recipes from other great chefs and take inspiration from it. Don't get me wrong Keith can cook but he seemed to be missing those intangibles and in the end his attitude I think sunk him.

To be honest I can't believe both Keith and Heather (especially heather) mistook the sauce as a cilantro sauce instead of a basil/pink grapefruit sauce. Basil and pink grapefruit are pretty darn bold flavours to miss in any recipe. Even to an untrained palate.

That's not to say Virginia not missing some things and Heather isn't missing some things. But they both seem to have more of what's needed to win this particular competition. If it was who wants to be the best line cook then Virginia was gone a long time ago but that's not what this is about. It's also not to say Virginia will win this. At this time, she's playing from behind IMO. Unless she puts together a much better menu and runs the kitchen flawlessly the winner is going to be Heather. The winner from day one was always going to be Heather. Just as in Season one you knew the final two were going to be the two proper cooks/chefs in Michael and Ralph you knew one finalist this season was going to be the sous chef that runs a kitchen of 12. After that it was a toss up for the second person this season but I'm not at all surprised it's another one with restaurant experience (even if it is the salad station) and an apparently very good palate.

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-11-06, 01:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Hell's Kitchen #2 Episode #8 East Coast Spoiler Thread."
Being a chef is all about being a food-taste bud- detective if she didn't know how the beans would be in a puree she would have overlooked them - just like the other two did.. she may be an idiot (or an edited one) but she seems to know how food works - and that is the only reason I pay for someone else to make food for me.

Most of these cooks are nasty, she is the only (that I've seen) sanitary one in the lot which in itself could be the only reason she would be 'set up to win' otherwise it would be a sad comment on people in the kitchen glomming onto food they are going to serve. And yes I'v cooked and know many many cooks. Even the grubbiest cooks I know are pretty disgusted at the way these people have come across -
as usual- dgms~

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •