The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Contender in a nutshell"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

Water_Walker32 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-24-05, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Water_Walker32 Click to send private message to Water_Walker32 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Contender in a nutshell"
Although I was really excited about the boxing sport finally being televized on public stations, after all the smoke clears, I have to admit it fell short.
I love boxing. I can't stand HBO for selfishly hogging fights even after they are over, (should be made available to view by internet). So when this Contender came out, I was thrilled. Through out the whole season I was glued to the television each time it came on.

conclusion: I don't like edited boxing. I was for sure Jesse had beaten Sergio in the edited version I watched. A viewer (at least me) likes to see a fight all the way through so we can evaluate each round, each punch and each minute. I was stunned to see some victories gone in another direction. But that is what happens when you edit out significant footage.

I say find a way to show boxing unedited. Great idea, well put together show, falls just short because of edited footage. And again, i say these 5 round bouts has hurt a few boxers records too.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Contender in a nutshell Water_Walker32 05-24-05 1
 RE: The Contender in a nutshell SportyOne 05-25-05 2
   RE: The Contender in a nutshell Web_Master32 05-25-05 3
   RE: The Contender in a nutshell SurvivorBlows 05-25-05 4
       RE: The Contender in a nutshell Markopolo100 05-25-05 5
           RE: The Contender in a nutshell Wacko Jacko 05-25-05 6
               RE: The Contender in a nutshell ladro 05-25-05 9
           RE: The Contender in a nutshell zombie29 05-25-05 7
           RE: The Contender in a nutshell Water_Walker32 05-25-05 10
       RE: The Contender in a nutshell ladro 05-25-05 8
           RE: The Contender in a nutshell SportyOne 05-25-05 12
       RE: The Contender in a nutshell SportyOne 05-25-05 11
           Do not bash other posters Bebo 05-26-05 13
               RE: Do not bash other posters 3twinkles 05-26-05 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-24-05, 09:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Water_Walker32 Click to send private message to Water_Walker32 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
I think the producer tried to edit video that would kind of show off each fighters best moves, but to me this back-fired because we thought it was a closer fight than what the judges scored. I am however truly amazed we got all these extra fights in the end though. Unedited Yah!
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

SportyOne 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-25-05, 00:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SportyOne Click to send private message to SportyOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
After watching the finale I have lost mad respect for Mark Burnett Productions for 2 reasons:

1- How the hell do you have a legend in boxing (Tommy Hearns) sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row while Cuba Gooding Jr., Brooke Burke, Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake get front and center? WTF? Are you kidding me?

2 - I have a good friend that works for a heavyweight and when he tried to get comped tickets for him, he was told by MBP that they would have to PAY for the tickets. PAY?! I'm talking a TITLEHOLDER!....That is just completely disrespectful, unacceptable and out of line. Obviously this is the Hollywood version on real life boxing. They are not serious, good riddance to the show.

Web_Master32 3 desperate attention whore postings

05-25-05, 00:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Web_Master32 Click to send private message to Web_Master32 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
LAST EDITED ON 05-25-05 AT 00:40 AM (EST)

The show had it's appeal. The fighters were great. There simply isn't enough time in an hour. First we are advertised to death with 20 minutes of commercials which causes them to have to edit footage. It defies the whole purpose of boxing when you show edited footage. Almost like extended highlights.

There were certains times where I felt the show and the contenders were steered into a certain direction for better ratings. This is boxing. A sport.

I agree, I was a little surprised at the amount of stars there. No wonder it sold out.

Hats off to the hard working contenders and sugar ray and sly, but the producer(s) were reeking of "steering" the show a little to much for me.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-25-05, 02:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
LAST EDITED ON 05-25-05 AT 02:19 AM (EST)

Lose all the "respect" you want, but at least lose it for some decent reasons -- not because some heavyweight bigshot didn't get to throw his weight around and shakedown some free tickets. Why the heck do you think that someone -- no matter who they are -- is entitled to get something for nothing?

Was your guy out there plugging the show when it could have made a difference as to whether it succeeded or failed? Has he done anything at all for the show? If not, then what makes him think he's entitled to get something for nothing?

What's disrespectful and unaccceptable is your heavyweight's sense of entitlement -- if they were to offer him the tickets for free, fine, but to expect that everyone should bow down and kiss his ##### smacks of arrogance and I'm glad to hear that someone told the guy no... that doesn't happen enough in this world

Markopolo100 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-25-05, 03:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Markopolo100 Click to send private message to Markopolo100 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
To: boxing diehards
Re: Contender

Dear boxing die-hard fans,

Please stop whining about The Contender. You're lucky you still have a small fragment of the sport left. No one cares about boxing. The heavyweight ranks are dead. Your most popular boxer has tattoos on his face and a rape conviction on his record. The sport is seen as corrupt by the mainstream. No one saw Gatti/Ward.

The Contender was GOOD reality television. I love Survivor and Apprentice, and The Contender made me realize why I used to like boxing. It was a hybrid -- half-box, half-reality show. It was supposed to be as much about boxing as the Apprentice is about business.

Yes, the ratings were still below expectations (mostly due to a screw up of time slot in the first three episodes).

But the Contender was about building some real characters, people to root for. I now know 16 more boxers than I did before. I've become a fan of Alfonso Gomez, Joey and Peter Manfredo. If I see a fight on TV now, I will watch them.

Boxing couldn't buy that kind of publicity with ANY fight.

So, please, die-hard boxing fans, stop insulting a fun show for the normal people. You need us more than you think.

Marko

Wacko Jacko 2434 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-25-05, 08:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
Yes, the contender brought back nice memories of how much I used to love boxing.

Boxing died when they made people pay for all the good fights. I remember the good days when I used to watch Ali vs Frazier on regular tv. What really killed it is that they lost exposure. In turn less boxing fans and promotion. Then it trickled down to less quality boxers because less kids grow up being boxing fans.

It is a real shame that a lot of boxing snubs would not watch this show and that it is not coming back for season 2. I suggest everyone write the networks (Gosh darn The Real Gilligans Island got a season two) and sign petitions.

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-25-05, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
But the Real Gilligans island is on TBS and probably only costs $300,000 an episode (NBC is paying $2,000,000 an episode for the Contender). I think TBS would be happy to broadcast the Contender for anywhere near the per episode cost of TRGI. I think Stallone's eyes and ego are too big to even consider a network like TBS. And, cutting the budget by 75% is not going to attract many boxers.

zombie29 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-25-05, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombie29 Click to send private message to zombie29 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
LAST EDITED ON 05-25-05 AT 09:20 AM (EST)

I'm not a fan of the fight editing but I understand that NBC won't be giving more than an hour for the show. Some people just wanted to see the fights and could care less about the fighers lives and team compition. I'm a boxing fan and I think this show may of helped boxing a little bit with publicicty and new fans. I also enjoyed getting to know the fighers and will watch anyone of them if their on ESPN, HBO, or whatever TV station fighting. It's sad that NBC won't renew the show, I wonder if another station would be able to pick it up (I'm sure there is a bunch legal crap for that). Anyway...at least this was their lives and they will continue to fight though the show is over (with exception of maybe a few).

05-25-05, 12:25 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
Marko

The time slot issue was an excuse. Extreme Make-over home edition does just fine in that slot. A show either makes it or it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, AS I said, the idea was great. Put it on a cable channel without commercials and you have a winner because you don't need to edit footage. However, the 5 round bouts suck big time, that's not boxing. 5 rounds are for teenagers and young'ns. Want to highlight something? Highlight the events and challenges, not the boxing footage. Burnett gambled on givng the challenges too much time....(he used the same formula as other reality tv shows) and highlighting the boxing, should have been the other way around. NO MORE commercials and NO MORE edited footage and you have a winner...period. I don't watch much reality tv anyway, ocassionaly I find a good one but die-hard fan I am not.

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-25-05, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
I agree with survivor blows

05-25-05, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SportyOne Click to send private message to SportyOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
>I agree with survivor blows

Yet another soul bitter about the life of those more fortunate.

05-25-05, 11:49 PM (EST)
11. "RE: The Contender in a nutshell"
Dear Butt Wipe: What makes the celebs that were there entitled to get something for nothing? I never saw Cameron, Justin or Cuba in any episode and I watched them all. Do you think the celebs PAID for their tickets? Duh! No they were comped. My point is if you're going to COMP someone at least let it be someone that is in correlation with the show. The show is about BOXING hmmm...I know, why not give some BOXERS comped tickets!!! Real boxers, not actors who PLAY boxers in movies.

It's not about bowing down it's about being fair and having common sense which you are clearly lacking if you can't see my point. This man was a consultant for Cinderella Man so I think he's worthy of 1 free ticket.

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-26-05, 07:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Do not bash other posters"
Our community guidelines clearly prohibit bashing other posters. Remember that if you want to continue posting here.

3twinkles 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-26-05, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 3twinkles Click to send private message to 3twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Do not bash other posters"
well said Bebo.

I liked the Conteder it did get me interested in boxing although I would have liked to see more of the fight instead of just the highlights...and less of the challenges I personally thought those were dumb lol. JMO. In any case as far as the celebrities there I really did not care to see them either. They were only there because stallone asked them too and I thought it cheapened it and made it to hollywood. I could care less where these silly celebrities pop up. As far as I am concerned they are no more important to see the boxing fight then a "regular" person. So my only two beefs with the show was that they stop focusing on the celebrities and lose the challenges and go back to following the careers of the boxers and finding out more about where they come from and also seeing a full match instead of the highlights. To me I could always tell who was going to win off the bat because of the editing lol.

again jmo.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •