The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The NBA labor talks."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-23-11, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The NBA labor talks."
Under the rules of the about-to-expire agreement, the league held back roughly $160,000,000 in total salary from all players this past year, held in escrow and scheduled to be paid out after the draft. And as part of their negotiating technique, the league has now announced its intention to keep that money.

This one's gonna be fun.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The NBA labor talks. vince3 06-23-11 1
 Deadline Day vince3 06-30-11 2
   RE: Deadline Day Estee 06-30-11 3
 Spending a year broke for tax purpo... Estee 06-30-11 4
 RE: The NBA labor talks. Colonel Zoidberg 06-30-11 5
 First preseason games lost. Estee 09-23-11 6
 First two weeks of season canceled. Estee 10-11-11 7
 Canadian Pro League trigirl 10-17-11 8
 Non-binding federal mediation begin... Estee 10-18-11 9
 The Kardashian Effect trigirl 11-01-11 10
 RE: The NBA labor talks. Max Headroom 11-01-11 11
   RE: The NBA labor talks. Estee 11-01-11 12
 I Don't Understand trigirl 11-09-11 13
 Boom. Estee 11-14-11 14
 It's (apparently) over PepeLePew13 11-26-11 15
   RE: It's (apparently) over Estee 11-26-11 16
 Free Agency trigirl 11-30-11 17
   RE: Free Agency Estee 11-30-11 18
 Breaking down the agreement. Estee 12-02-11 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-11, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The NBA labor talks."
That will then be two in Labor Armageddon... NFL's trying to dig itself out, but isn't there yet... and remember, Baseball's labor agreement expires near the end of the year, too...
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-11, 04:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Deadline Day"
Less than 20 hours before half of the major sports leagues are under lockouts...

06-30-11, 06:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Deadline Day"
One of my circlemates pointed out the ideal ad campaign for the last remaining cold-weather sport.

'The National Hockey League: we're open.'

06-30-11, 04:30 PM (EST)
4. "Spending a year broke for tax purposes."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=coon_larry&page=NBAFinancials-110630

Regardless:

1. Some teams are (likely) actually in trouble.

2. The lockout is on. Next meeting between players & owners quasi-scheduled for sometime in the next three weeks.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-30-11, 06:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The NBA labor talks."
The league begins the lockout several hours before it's scheduled to. I don't remember an 'up yours' gesture in sports quite this grandiose since probably the 1994 baseball strike.

So coming off one of the best seasons in NBA history, culminating with one of the most satisfying NBA Finals ever...the league decides, "You know what? Let's shut it down for a while and bleed the bastards dry." Bud Selig tried doing something like that after the 2001 World Series with the whole contraction flap - I think he can still taste those words he ate.

This is basically the equivalent of a man taking his wife up to a romantic B&B for their anniversary, plunking down big bucks for a romantic dinner, spa, and all the romantic works - and then checking out a night early, taking off without her, and making the hotel manager give her the divorce papers in his place.

There's been a lot of talk about changing the NBA's logo. It's time they did it - to a silhouette of David Stern giving the middle finger.

09-23-11, 01:17 PM (EST)
6. "First preseason games lost."
So they've already gone beyond the NFL.

Meanwhile, the player's association may be having trouble keeping everyone in one place. Overseas teams are seeing this as a Special Guest Star opportunity and are recruiting heavily -- some with virtual game-by-game contracts. In particular, Virtus Bologna (Italy) is trying to lure Kobe back to his roots. So far, only one player has headed overseas and anyone with basketball experience knows that if it's Turkey or death, you thank Death for the kind attention -- but as the money runs low, the offers are going to become that much more tempting.

There's a little more cash around than might have been believed: while the lockout is still in full effect, escrow agreements from the prior year continued in force and wound up distributing checks to the players. But that was it. From now on, it's the war chest, any personal endorsements that might be around, their own strictly theoretical savings, and anything the entourage might be willing to loan them back. After that, it's time to start selling cars.

And the owners? Divided between 'Let's work this out -- eventually' and 'Let's sit back, watch the players go broke, and then hire them back at minimum wage plus tips.' Those sides are not set to reconcile.

BTW, guess which one the Cavs owner is on. Still bitter much?

10-11-11, 07:33 AM (EST)
7. "First two weeks of season canceled."
'Okay, forget the hard cap. How about we have a luxury tax? For every dollar we're over, we'll pay one extra.'

'Two extra.'

'I say three.'

'And if you're always over, it's four with an option for five. Agreed?'

'Sure!'

'...'

'...still thinking about paying eighty million for that backup center?'

'Yes.'

'Start canceling games. Clearly we can't be saved from ourselves.'

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-17-11, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Canadian Pro League"
Well if you are going to start a pro basketball league in Canada, I guess this might be the year to do it! Bought my seasons tickets!

Let's see....Courtside seats at the Raptors...$1000
Courtside for the London Lightning....$60.

There can't be that many european jobs for basketball players. Come to Canada!

10-18-11, 07:23 PM (EST)
9. "Non-binding federal mediation begins."
Which is another way of saying 'We will now waste two more weeks.'

11-01-11, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "The Kardashian Effect"
I can see it now...fresh off gruelling divorce settlement discussions with the Kardashian family, Kris Humphries thinks that this NBA labour discussion thing is a breeze and settles the lockout.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

11-01-11, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The NBA labor talks."
Does anyone other than the involved parties even care any more?

11-01-11, 03:35 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The NBA labor talks."
A few fans, some college prospects wondering if they have to look for other work -- and the NHL, which may be seeing a ticket sale increase and would like this to drag on for a while. Oh, and a lot of sportswriters looking for endless amounts of material plus economists hoping to have a new epic collapse for their next book.

And VH1.

11-09-11, 11:05 AM (EST)
13. "I Don't Understand"
Can anyone explain this to me like I am a three year old. I am not a dumb woman, but can't keep this straight. Really not sure what the issues are anymore. I feel the media is so interested in personalities they are dwelling on those stories.

What are the real issues? What is the 50-50 stuff? Explain decert to me.

I am missing basketball. It got so bad, I watched the baseball playoffs....that's bad.

11-14-11, 05:46 PM (EST)
14. "Boom."
After the owner's latest offer, the player's union intends to decertify and go after the NBA in an antitrust lawsuit. The owners, who anticipated this (and in some views, might have encouraged it), have already filed a few preemptive documents of their own.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7234180/nba-lockout-players-not-accept-deal-seek-decertify-billy-hunter-says

If you're wondering just what set this off, take a look at said latest offer.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1113/nba_proposal.pdf

The sign-and-trade and escrow sections may have been what pushed the final button.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-11, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "It's (apparently) over"
Deal has been struck, waiting for the players to recertify (likely to take 10 days or so).

Season starts on Christmas Day with three games. 66 game season. Training camps and free agency season opens on December 9th.

11-26-11, 01:44 PM (EST)
16. "RE: It's (apparently) over"
Right now, the biggest media issue may be not knowing what the deal is. Some rumors of the contents are floating around, but not many -- and it feels as if no one outside the NBA has gotten a copy of the thing. There seems to be a heavy luxury tax in place for those who exceed the cap, sign-and-trades still appear to be legal, and I've already seen a comment that the deal forces just about everyone to play Moneyball. It sounds as if they got a 50/50 split with the option to add one more percent for the players if revenues pick up.

However, not only do the players have to ratify this (simple majority vote), but the owners must as well. I'm predicting a few No votes -- not necessarily enough to stop this, but it'll show who the true warhawks were.

And for what it's worth, a lot of this? Is LeBron's fault. More than a few team owners were furious about the player collusion he centered in last year and were trying to write deals to prevent it from ever happening again. Sure, it's unfair to blame him -- but it's just so much fun!

11-30-11, 04:24 PM (EST)
17. "Free Agency"
Now we get a frenzied free agency...which will be much more fun than The Decision or Melo-Drama. Let the games begin!

11-30-11, 06:22 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Free Agency"
My best/near-only laugh of the day was getting the SI NBA Preview issue in today's mail. (I won a one-year subscription in a Coke game.) No one knows what the teams are going to look like, how the rosters are going to shape up, how many players are going to quit on the Bobcats just to spite Jordan -- but we've still got enough material for the preview! And not only that, Vegas has released initial odds-to-win-trophy for each team, plus over/under numbers. Generally if you're going into this kind of hurry-up race, it helps to know where the actual course is...

I haven't opened the issue yet. I'm waiting for the giggles to go away.

But right now, I couldn't even tell you who the major NBA free agents are. To echo a podcast, what few brain cells I dedicate to remotely paying any attention at all found something else to do for the last few months, which was helpful because they needed recuperation time from the very concept of James Dolan, Voice Of Sanity. I'm sure there's people out there and I'm equally sure none of them are coming to NJ/Brooklyn. That's it.

Oh, for what it's worth, the Heat are favorites at 2-1.

12-02-11, 01:31 PM (EST)
19. "Breaking down the agreement."
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7303114/everything-ever-want-know-new-nba-labor-deal

In days of recent yore, the Knicks would have been paying for most of the league.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •