The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-11-07, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I was talking today with a colleague who also watches Idol. We were both impressed with Sanjaya's performance last night and agreed it was his best since his audition.

My friend said, wouldn't it be funny if Sanjaya came into this competition and decided to start off the competition as if he was one of the lesser talented singers, and then play upon the VFTW people, and the followers of VFTW. Then ride that wave up until a point like now, where he would come out blazing at his full talent and try to take that accumulated fanbase to the end.

We both just went "Hmmmmmm....risky, but brilliant if he could do it."

It still bothers me that we saw this AMAZING singer in the auditions and Hollywood rounds, and then from the top 24 until last week...not so amazing.

Now this week, he's in tune, on pitch, impressing JLo.

Makes you go "Hmmmmmmm....."

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory bullzeye 04-11-07 1
   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory agman 04-11-07 2
 RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory Snidget 04-11-07 3
   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory priestdi 04-11-07 4
 RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory geekboy 04-12-07 5
   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory Snidget 04-12-07 8
       RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory priestdi 04-12-07 11
   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory okaychatt 04-13-07 23
       RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory agman 04-13-07 25
 RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory Colonel Zoidberg 04-12-07 6
   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory geekboy 04-12-07 7
       RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory Snidget 04-12-07 9
           RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory geekboy 04-12-07 10
               RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory curveball 04-12-07 12
                   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory agman 04-12-07 13
                   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory YankeeDixieDoodle 04-12-07 14
                       RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory agman 04-12-07 15
                           RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory geekboy 04-12-07 16
                               RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory agman 04-12-07 17
                           RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory YankeeDixieDoodle 04-12-07 18
                               RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory prosecutor 04-12-07 19
                               RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory priestdi 04-12-07 22
                                   RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory YankeeDixieDoodle 04-13-07 26
 If he put out a CD moonbaby 04-12-07 20
   RE: If he put out a CD agman 04-12-07 21
   RE: If he put out a CD okaychatt 04-13-07 24
       RE: If he put out a CD YankeeDixieDoodle 04-13-07 27
           RE: If he put out a CD prosecutor 04-13-07 28
               RE: If he put out a CD Alysa 04-15-07 29
                   RE: If he put out a CD agman 04-15-07 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

bullzeye 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-11-07, 05:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I have also heard that (a) Jim Morrison is still alive and living in Paris; (b) Lee Harvey Oswald was set up.

A birthday present from Tribe

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-11-07, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
LAST EDITED ON 04-11-07 AT 06:32 PM (EST)

>I have also heard that (a)
>Jim Morrison is still alive
>and living in Paris; (b)
>Lee Harvey Oswald was set
>up.
>
And I'm sure Elvis put him up to it lol

A snidget original

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-07, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I think that fine line of just bad enough to be good entertainment but not so bad as to be voted out is extremely hard.

It seems much more likely to me that he knew the nerves were getting to him but had enough savvy to know how to play the audience to stay in.

I agree with Randy he is a very smart competitor, much like Haley. Making the most of what they got.

"I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top."
- An English Professor

priestdi 378 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-11-07, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"

yeah, I think so too. ^ ^ ^

it would be awesome if he did conquer his nerves, and show us what he can really do. I've seen him differently since watching his old choir video.

it would be funny if VFTW's gift to the show turned out to be keeping keep him around long enough to prove he actually deserves to be in the top rounds, eh?

04-12-07, 07:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I'm surprised nobody thinks this is a feasible approach to the contest.

Yes, its risky. Yes, it would be difficult to pull off. But look at the facts.

1) An unbelievable audition where he was obviously NOT nervous, and that blowed all the judges away
2) From what we saw out of Hollywood, he also did amazing
3) Top 24 on, he seemed to be a different person, not as talented, a voice that did not even come close to that which we saw in the auditions
4) An obvious VFTW candidate that has the whole country talking
5) All the judges say they thought he has talent
6) All the other contestants say he has talent
7) People across the country are admitting to voting for him because he brings entertainment value to the show.
8) Ryan and the producers are playing him up because of ratings
9) Now, at the Top 8 where the competition will start to get stiffer, vocally he shines again.
10) _IF_ he starts to show true, amazing talent, he'll have hordes of people voting for him from past shows, now continuing to vote for him because he's "improved".

geekboy

04-12-07, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-07 AT 09:46 AM (EST)

All that fits with someone that has talent, has nerves, but with time and exposure gets them back under control.

Maybe I like to see the good in people, but I can't believe he would:

1) Risk the opportunity he was given if the plot to be so bad VFTW is the only thing keeping you around backfires.
2) Be that dastardly and calculating as to try it.

Really he seems way too genuine, IMO, to be that much of an asshat.

I know lots of people who have amazing talent that have the same sort of performance issues he has. Especially if he's been told all his life that he isn't really the talented one in the family.

If he is anything close to a standard issue human going up on stage with that sort of message playing in your head is likely to screw up the first few performances they way it did him. Even if you have a drive to suceed those sorts of thought are very hard to overcome completely between the time he auditioned and the first round of the top 24. However, slogging throught it under continued pressure can be the sort of thing that gets some people to overcome that type of problem. Unless that whole family dynamic was just staged for the cameras as well.

I guess I'd rather see him as a good kid doing his best than a cruel and calculating SOB out to get ahead even if he has to screw with millions of people and all his competition to get there.

I also get the feeling from everyone on the show that Sanjaya is really really nice. People sociopathic enough to play the sorts of games you seem to be accusing him of usually cause those around them to have different feelings than the ones I've been seeing.

But then again, it could be the editing and the producers could be in on it, and they won't let anyone tell anyone what an asshat Sanjaya is. Or sum such.

Edited for clarity.

04-12-07, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
you're so much better than I am at actually putting all that into words!

my summary: he's just a kid. and I too prefer to think he's genuine.

his hometown paper, the Seattle Times, doesn't care much about Idol. It took them until the last couple weeks to wake up to fact they have two locals in the finals.

this was their recent Sunday feature on Sanjaya:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=sanjaya01&date=20070401&query=sanjaya

you know, quotes from choir director and other teens and all that.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-13-07, 07:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I just don't think Sanjaya has that kind of subterfuge or savvy to pull it off.

Great idea for an entry at snopes.com, though.

In any event, it's too little too late from Sanjaya. He's a nice lad, but too green with too little macho to make it far in the music business.

Now hula dancing competitions? Maybe.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

04-13-07, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
ROTFLMAO

A snidget original

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-12-07, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I have a little different theory about Sanjaya that's less to do with how he's actively trying to portray himself and more defining his story arc...I call it the "Happy Gilmore" theory.

Think about it - at first, Sanjaya is a total fish-out-of-water. The AI establishment shoots him down at every opportunity, but he has a following and is popular among people for being an entertainer, not for doing what he set out to do. The same is true of Happy Gilmore, who had a following for booming drives, dressing like a slob, and behaving oddly rather than for being a good golfer. Sanjaya is the same way - he's known better for the pony-hawk and outlandish performances than for being a good singer.

However, both Happy Gilmore and Sanjaya eventually came into their own, and I think that's what is happening here. He's not in the same league as Melinda, Lakisha, or Blake, or even Jordin or Chris, but he's good. Theoretically, he's out after Phil or maybe after Chris, and he doesn't crack the top 4. However, theoretically, Happy Gilmore doesn't win the tour championship.

There's only one thing missing from Sanjaya's story arc that Happy Gilmore had - an arch-rival. No one fits the bill as a rival to Sanjaya. No one is Shooter McGavin. No one is trying to bring him down. Simon Cowell, perhaps, but there's no one that he's in direct competition with. It's unclear on if his story arc will develop an arch-rival, considering that most of this field is far too classy to do such a thing. And frankly, it would have to be a favorite who would be his rival.

Melinda? Not a chance. Too humble. Far too humble for most.
Lakisha? It's hard to call her a favorite.
Jordin? A 17-year-old? Not a chance.
Phil? We're looking for a favorite. The goofy-looking father of two doesn't fit.
Blake? He's too nice and too helpful, and he's a bit unusual himself.
Chris? If he were to really play up the Justin Timberlake business, he would fit. But he's been in the Bottom 3 twice, and he seems like an overall nice guy.

The only hope for a nemesis for Sanjaya is really Simon Cowell himself. However, if Simon tries to bring down Sanjaya, and he ends up winning the whole damn thing, my otherwise-insane theory will have come true. Likelihood? Nah, not much chance.

04-12-07, 09:38 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
You hit the nail on the head. His arch-rival is Simon, and all the people out there who thought he couldn't sing, when in fact we all KNEW he could sing.

The more this season moves along, the more i'm convinced that Sanjaya has as good a chance of winning it all than anyone else left.

* Melinda is a favorite, but as my wife says, she's getting boring because she never changes it up
* Lakisha - classic AI retread, and getting boring. See Melinda.
* Chris - sorry, he is not a great singer, and also boring.
* Jordin - she has loads of talent, but reverts to karaoke mode alot
* Phil - meh
* Blake - At least this guy is fun and not boring. Literally, he's Sanjaya's toughest competition

If the boy has conquered his nerves, or come into his own, or is now showing us what he really has in terms of talent - whichever theory you want to use - he has an excellet chance of winning this season.

geekboy

04-12-07, 09:49 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
You assume everyone watched, or remembered, the audition rounds.

I know a heck of a lot of people who won't watch the freak show the auditions are and would have no idea Sanjaya could do anything well.

He' s lucky he is cute and young and tweenalicious. That alone would save him for awhile no matter what he sounded like performance night.

04-12-07, 09:53 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
Snidget -

Trust me, I agree with everything you say. This idea came up yesterday with a friend....and i just wanted to throw it out there. Its fun to speculate sometimes. Who knows what the real explanation is.

geekboy

curveball 225 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-12-07, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail curveball Click to send private message to curveball Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
Here's my take on Sanjaya:

He is the worst singer left, however AI is not a singing competition (sorry, Simon, you are wrong) it is a voting competition. (Note to Simon - if you want a SINGING competition, put the singers in a studio, behind a curtain where nobody can see them, and give them numbers not names)

Sanjaya gets votes for all the reasons discussed (teeny girls, vote4, Stern, etc) and one of the big reasons he gets votes is that he had a LOT of face time before F24, which allowed him to build a fan base BEFORE F24. He is not even the best singer in his family, yet he is one of a very FEW contestants that Fox chose to give us stories on before F24. So, the "guy with the hot sister that didn't make it" was already known, and his established dedicated fan base will continue to vote for him regardless of ability. (just like... Jasmine, John S., Kevin C., and some guy named Justin G. from season 1)

Eventually they all fall, Sanjaya will to. He didn't set it up to do good, then bad, then good. Honestly, he has never been that good. Nobody is this year. Instead we are getting contestants who have tried out 3 times before, but the talent is so thin they make it through now. They haven't improved, the competition is just weak.

04-12-07, 02:38 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I'm not sure it could be said any better than that!

A snidget original

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-12-07, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
I think Sanjays is too young, and naive, to attempt such a gambit. I think he does his best every time. It usually isn't very good. His vocal ability seems limited to monotonic "easy listening" type music. I'm not dissing Tony Bennet. I'm 54 and really like him. But, I also like a variety of classic R & B, classic rock, country and contemporary singers. IMO, a successful AI must be capable of singing many genres. Sanjaya seems to lack that capability.

04-12-07, 04:44 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-07 AT 04:46 PM (EST)

Dixie, I agree with your assessment completely. What I find alarming is how much space on this board seems dedicated to Sanjaya. Many of us talk about how we don't like him, but look how much he has our attention. That, unfortunately is why he is still here The kid seems to know how to get and keep attention. By now we all know that most of this contest is not about singing! That's my soapbox speech....agman out

ps I still want Halely back

A snidget original

04-12-07, 05:05 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
There is a lot of talk about Sanjaya, because I, and others, are convinced that this guy has a damn good chance of winning the whole thing.

geekboy

PS: I also picked him back before the Top24 week to take the season too

04-12-07, 05:10 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"

To each his own

A snidget original

04-12-07, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
At least, thanks to the guidelines, the board can't be flooded with a slew of Sanjaya threads. The mods have already locked a few. What intrigues me most about Sanjaya is that, not only wasn't he the first boot-ee but, five weeks into the competition, unless i've missed something, he has never been in the bottom three. Eventually, I think he will be. If it takes another three weeks and there are only four left, I think he'll have to be in the bottom three. I just can't see him being the top vote getter, or AI winner ever.

prosecutor 449 desperate attention whore postings

04-12-07, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
Sanjaya has never been in the bottom. I personally don't think he will be just like Clay Aiken. The teeny boppers only have Sanjaya, Jordin and Blake to vote for really.
I really believe final 2 will be Blake and Sanjaya.
One more thing everyone knows Sanjaya but have to stop to think of who the others are in this competition, so I think if he wins it will be ok. People are just saying they would stop watching but Sanjaya is the reason most of us are still watching.

04-12-07, 09:44 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"

Sanjaya was in the bottom three.

The week Brandon got kicked, Top 12.

http://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp?week=12&sort=TD&type=score&season=6

04-13-07, 04:46 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Intriguing Sanjaya theory"
Yepper, you're right. I remember, now. So expecting Sanjaya to get booted. And, so shocked he wasn't.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

04-12-07, 06:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "If he put out a CD"
would it be a big seller? The very thought of it is kinda funny (thinking of the ponyhawk cover photo alone amuses me), whereas the thought of a CD from Melinda or Blake doesn't give me the giggles at all.

04-12-07, 07:04 PM (EST)
21. "RE: If he put out a CD"
>would it be a big seller?
>The very thought of it
>is kinda funny (thinking of
>the ponyhawk cover photo alone
>amuses me), whereas the thought
>of a CD from Melinda
>or Blake doesn't give me
>the giggles at all.

Amen

A snidget original

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-13-07, 07:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: If he put out a CD"
I don't think Sanjaya's CD would outsell Hung's.

Sanjaya's demeanor annoys me. I'm in the 50+ age group, but I wouldn't have liked him even as a tweenager.

"Sweet young thing", either male or female, just doesn't do it for me.

I want somebody with confidence entertaining me. Not a tepid milquetoast.

Sanjaya's a nice kid. Of that I have no doubt. I even think he can sing in key occasionally. I just don't want him anywhere near my CD player.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

04-13-07, 04:51 PM (EST)
27. "RE: If he put out a CD"
I don't think a Sanjaya CD would sell well at all. Even to his tween-gal fan base. But, a DVD would probably sell like ice water in Hell. I think it's Sanjaya's looks, rather than his voice, that these gals are going for.

prosecutor 449 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-07, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: If he put out a CD"
O I think a Sanjaya CD would definitely sell. The studio can polish up his vocals. Take Janet Jackson for instance she is a superstar and she bugs the crap outta me singing even quieter than Sanjaya no matter how I crank up the volume I can barely hear her.

Alysa 21 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-15-07, 00:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Alysa Click to send private message to Alysa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: If he put out a CD"
he will sell a couple of CDs... eventually. then fade into oblivion. as far as im concerned, i will scream to hell if i ever find a sanjaya Cd near my cd player. i think i would burn down the freakin whole thing. sorry, but sweetness doesnt do it for me. gimme talent, MAN!

04-15-07, 01:21 PM (EST)
30. "RE: If he put out a CD"
>he will sell a couple of
>CDs... eventually. then fade into
>oblivion. as far as im
>concerned, i will scream to
>hell if i ever find
>a sanjaya Cd near my
>cd player. i think i
>would burn down the freakin
>whole thing. sorry, but
>sweetness doesnt do it for
>me. gimme talent, MAN!
I agree, I don't even like Sanjaya on my TV. I am sooooo unimpressed with him!

A snidget original

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •