The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-29-06, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
It seems that almost all of the tasks have a heavy marketing component. Even if it's a sales task, the marketing component is the crux.

I'm a financial analyst, and am not savvy in marketing - it seems very right-brained to me. Wouldn't it be more fair to have some left-brained activities thrown into the mix? Or some that are more balanced?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why all the marketing-based tas... Estee 03-29-06 1
 RE: Why all the marketing-based tas... LisaPles 03-29-06 2
   RE: Why all the marketing-based tas... Hoobie 03-29-06 3
       RE: Why all the marketing-based tas... tinkerer 03-30-06 4
   RE: Why all the marketing-based tas... AZ_Leo 04-03-06 5
       RE: Why all the marketing-based tas... iltarion 04-04-06 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-29-06, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
Because of the shilling. Right now, this series is really about earning Donald a few million extra dollars by letting other companies run one-hour commercials in prime time. The best way to get those corporations extra exposure within the episode is with a marketing-centered task, so -- marketing it is. Given that the entire series has been a marketing-centered task since Season #2, the contestants have gotten used to it. (Okay, since Season #1, but that one was mostly about marketing Donald.)

I'm still waiting for the jobs offered to the Final Two to be marketing-related. Go with what you've been forced to know.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-06, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LisaPles Click to send private message to LisaPles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
I agree that all the tasks seem to be related to marketing. It would be nice for people who have concentrated their education in other fields to have an opportunity to show their skills.
I think that the concentration on marketing is due to the fact that so many companies have contacted the show wanting to have their products showcased. Obviously they pay money for the advertising within the show. It is probably getting increasingly hard for them to turn the $$$ down.
I agree with you that a better balance would make the tasks more challenging and the show much more interesting.
Have you given thought to what they could do for a good "finance" challenge? I think it would be great. The candidates would probably be freaking out!

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-06, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
That's a good question. I haven't really thought about it, but it seems that they've exhausted all of the different mediums (media?) of marketing: commercials, print ads, billboards. I guess they could still do a radio spot.

I'm pursuing my MBA, and the courses are all very comprehensive - we also have to do a simulation where we build a budget, there is a computer generated barrage of scenarios to which we have to respond. That? Would be boring for a TV show though.

Maybe something where they have to analyze financial statements of the different public companies and present a review of how the operations can benefit if other items are manipulated (Accounts receivable, capital expenditures, etc.). It's pretty in-depth, so it might have to be for the finale. But again, it might not make for compelling television.

tinkerer 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-30-06, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tinkerer Click to send private message to tinkerer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-06 AT 11:47 AM (EST)

I'm really glad you started this thread, because I was thinking of starting one just like it.

The show is supposed to be about the fitness of a candidate to take over a $500,000 job in a Manhattan real estate firm.

So what do we see? Do we see people contacting backers, or getting a financial or architectural team together?

No. We see candidates walking around a Sam's Club in New Jersey trying to talk customers into upping their membership status. The team with the most upped memberships wins. Hey-that's a minimum wage type job. What is going on here?

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-03-06, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
Have you given thought to what they could do for a good "finance" challenge?

But wouldn't that involve the contestants being able to perform basic math skills such as counting to 10 without using their fingers? Possibly even being able to add 2 and 2 and come up with something around 4? I think that may be beyond the intellectual capacity of most of them.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that those who do marketing are dumb or that successful marketing doesn't require great intelligence (I used to be in marketing myself so I know that it does ). I'm commenting on these candidates apparent IQ level and intellectual abilities.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-04-06, 03:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Why all the marketing-based tasks?"
Hilarious...
Why not have them go into some corporation and come up with a structural plan to improve their organization? That would be boring, I guess. But it would also have more relevance to the position they are "interviewing" for.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •