The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Friends in Old Places"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 17042 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-07-16, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Friends in Old Places"
Seeing PsychoKitty emerge over in FB world made me find my way back over to this old play place.
It's like remembering an old tree house or play house and going back in just to check out some good memories; looking around for any leftover or forgotten trinkets that trigger those memories.

So, Here's to spending some time with old friends in old places. Or low places...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Friends in Old Places kingfish 09-07-16 1
   RE: Friends in Old Places PsychoKitty 09-07-16 2
       RE: Friends in Old Places kingfish 09-08-16 3
       RE: Friends in Old Places PepeLePew13 09-08-16 4
           RE: Friends in Old Places kingfish 09-08-16 5
               RE: Friends in Old Places PepeLePew13 09-08-16 7
       RE: Friends in Old Places greenmachine 04-20-17 34
           just passing by.... jbug 04-23-17 35
           greenmachine foonermints 04-24-17 36
 RE: Friends in Old Places jbug 09-08-16 6
   RE: Friends in Old Places kingfish 09-09-16 8
       RE: Friends in Old Places cahaya 09-09-16 9
           RE: Friends in Old Places kingfish 09-09-16 10
               Or kingfish 09-14-16 19
   RE: Friends in Old Places greenmachine 03-24-17 33
 RE: Friends in Old Places Dakota 09-10-16 11
 RE: Friends in Old Places Dakota 09-10-16 12
   RE: Friends in Old Places cahaya 09-10-16 13
       RE: Friends in Old Places Dakota 09-10-16 14
           Notes from a Small Island cahaya 09-11-16 15
               RE: Notes from a Small Island Dakota 09-12-16 16
                   RE: Notes from a Small Island kingfish 09-12-16 17
   RE: Friends in Old Places PepeLePew13 09-13-16 18
       Possibly foonermints 09-20-16 20
           RE: Possibly Dakota 09-21-16 21
               I think we are the reason Pepe will... kingfish 09-21-16 22
                   RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... Dakota 09-21-16 23
                       RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... kingfish 09-21-16 24
                           RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... Dakota 09-25-16 25
                       RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... PepeLePew13 09-25-16 26
                           RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... Dakota 09-28-16 27
                           RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... Dakota 09-28-16 28
                           RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... kingfish 09-28-16 29
                               RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... cahaya 09-30-16 30
                                   RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... kingfish 09-30-16 31
                                       RE: I think we are the reason Pepe ... greenmachine 05-01-17 37
 RE: Friends in Old Places foonermints 03-06-17 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 19706 desperate attention whore postings

09-07-16, 08:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Nice to see both of you. Fooner and I have been trying to entertain each other, and he's been introducing me to Cali cuisine.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PsychoKitty 727 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-07-16, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PsychoKitty Click to send private message to PsychoKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Hi there!!! It's nice to be remembered : ) We have had SO much fun on these boards! We should use our siggies on FB ; ) I did reach out to Pepe and Estee last night through this site's email asking them to join us : )

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

09-08-16, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Pepe shows up occasionally, apparently he's temporarily relocated to the states and is having to relearn the language. The old Labor/Labour etc. thing.

And Estee abruptly stopped posting a little over a year ago. There's been some concern about her fate. If you hear something please let us know.

Crabman

PepeLePew13 25940 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-16, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Ah, email? I have newer emails and haven't updated my email on this site in years.

Facebook... what's that? I don't even have an account on there, social media really isn't my thing, other than to snoop around on there for potential spoilers for 'Survivor' or to stay on top of traffic issues while commuting.

Kingfish - I probably have missed something along the way but why might there be concern over Estee's fate?

09-08-16, 08:32 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Maybe it's nothing, but it was the abrupt cessation of her posts. She had been posting regularly, then one day, I think it was in June of last year, the posts just stopped. No tailing off, just an abrupt halt. Seemed odd and not like her.

09-08-16, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Interesting. That's the worst part of an online community - people can just disappear from a site and we'd never know what might have happened. Probably nothing, but yeah...

greenmachine 79 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-20-17, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmachine Click to send private message to greenmachine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
what am I, chopped liver? current post for purposes of a slightly veiled bump.

04-23-17, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "just passing by...."

foonermints 13772 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-17, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "greenmachine"
Certainly NOT chopped liver. Nor a Potted Plant..

hmm, I will have to work on a foonerpoem

09-08-16, 09:22 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
I miss this place.
FB is ok and it keeps us in touch, but this place was better for talking about and debating current news topics and having fun with the reality tv stuff!

09-09-16, 09:33 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
LAST EDITED ON 09-09-16 AT 11:58 AM (EST)

IMO interacting is easier here. And I don't like the narrow column that you have to use in FB. Confining. I sometimes like to post little quick fictions, and those are just lost on FB.

Also, here you know all or most of the people, you can more easily anticipate who is sensitive to what, and have the opportunity to craft your remarks to account for that.

On FB usually you often have no idea who some or most of the posters are, they are friends of people you know but are from other parts of their lives, and that to me feels restricting. I don't want to unnecessarily antagonize somebody's Estonian Aunt because I might make a remark that unintentionally steps on her belief that one should worship bats, or something.

Here, I know where the bats are, and most have learned that although I can be occasionally disagreeable (actually, misunderstood), that I have respect and affection for all. And associations here are longer lasting, long enough that we can read between the lines to discern sensitivities and sorrows.

Here it is, to me, just more intimate and human.

cahaya 19522 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-16, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Ya know, this thread should be retitled to "Old Friends in Places".

Sherlocked by agman.

09-09-16, 11:39 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Another suggestion, "Odd Friends in Old Places".

We must respect the Foon.

09-14-16, 08:15 PM (EST)
19. "Or"
Moldy friends in moldier places?

03-24-17, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmachine Click to send private message to greenmachine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
bump

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

09-10-16, 00:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Hi. It is kind of fun over here. Especially since there are so few left and I figure if we post enough, the people who don't like us will roll their eyes and leave. FB is cool, but there's so much going on and so many people that it's tough to keep track of stuff. Does anyone really have 400 friends? I feel so inferior having less than 100, some of whom I barely know. A few of them have died.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-10-16, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
Pepe, if you're having trouble adapting, we're here for you. It's so easy to make fun of us from the other side of the border, but now that you're here, it may be traumatizing. Ice made the transition once, IIRC. Then he left. Have we had any other trans-border success stories?

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-10-16, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
I suppose I'd count as a trans-border success story, living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for 20 years where my son was born and my daughter was adopted.

Indeed, it was a bit of a culture shock moving from my Midwest college-town hometown to a large city in SE Asia. Fortunately, with Malaysia having been a British colony in its past, most people there spoke English (in addition to Malay, various Chinese dialects and/or Tamil). Even adapting to the food was initially a challenge, although now I've got a real appetite for Asian food after living there for so many years.

It was a bit of a culture shock in reverse to move back to my hometown with my family after living abroad for 20 years. A lot had changed in the U.S. during that time.

When it comes to answering the question whether I'm happier here or there, I have a saying: Happiness is where your heart is, not where your feet stand.

Wayang kulit puppet show by tribe

09-10-16, 10:38 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
I recently read Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Big Country'. His story of growing up in midwestern USA, living in the UK for 20 years and then coming back. Great way to get some perspective on our culture, along with being entertaining and funny.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-11-16, 02:43 AM (EST)
15. "Notes from a Small Island"
I checked online to see what was in the local library (which is pretty well stocked) and found The road to Little Dribbling : adventures of an American in Britain / Bill Bryson

"Twenty years ago, Bill Bryson went on a trip around Britain to discover and celebrate that green and pleasant land. The result was Notes from a Small Island, a true classic and one of the bestselling travel books ever written. Now he has traveled about Britain again, by bus and train and rental car and on foot, to see what has changed--and what hasn't. Following a route he dubs the Bryson Line, from Bognor Regis in the south to Cape Wrath in the north, by way of places few travelers ever get to at all, Bryson rediscovers the wondrously beautiful, magnificently eccentric, endearingly singular country that he both celebrates and, when called for, twits. With his matchless instinct for the funniest and quirkiest and his unerring eye for the idiotic, the bewildering, the appealing, and the ridiculous, he offers acute and perceptive insights into all that is best and worst about Britain today."

I also found I'm a stranger here myself : notes on returning to America after twenty years away / Bill Bryson. I've got to read this to see if the culture shock in reverse that I experienced mirrors what he experienced. He wrote that in 1999 and I returned to the U.S. not long afterward in 2004, so the timing is almost the same.

09-12-16, 05:30 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Notes from a Small Island"
Thank you! Love his humor and observations and I haven't read "Little Dribbling".

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-12-16, 05:25 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Notes from a Small Island"
I've read his book about a walk around Britain, another about a walk across Australia, and another about his hiking the Appalachian trail.

All were great. He is an entertaining writer.

09-13-16, 01:00 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
No trouble adapting at all as I've made numerous trips to D.C. over the years and I already knew the city so well. There's also three friends that I grew up with in the Toronto area and funnily enough, all three moved to the D.C. area at different times on their own, so we've all got something in common.

The biggest adjustment has been being on my own with the family back home. We decided that we weren't going to uproot the whole family since the terms of my agreement end in May and there's no guarantee of anything beyond then.

09-20-16, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Possibly"
Donald Trump will give you a new contract.

09-21-16, 01:40 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Possibly"
I didn't think Pepe was in the US on a government contract.

Although he seems to have had little trouble assimilating, I don't think he wants to become a citizen. I hope he's happy and safe here. He's in a good place too -- if he lifts that tail and sprays, everyone will think it's Congress. Or the WH. So he should be fine.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-21-16, 09:51 AM (EST)
22. "I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
If so, and if he has our habits, I pity the people in DC.

(apologize for speaking of you in the third person, Pep.)

09-21-16, 11:37 AM (EST)
23. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
Have we arranged an outing with Pepe and Senator Cruz? If not, you're slackers!

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-21-16, 12:08 PM (EST)
24. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
So, you really hate hate hate Pepe.

09-25-16, 07:09 PM (EST)
25. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
No no no. I know Cruz isn't considered likeable by some, but they're both from Canada and have temporary homes in the D.C. area. I'm trying to be friendly!

Agman's Spring Fling '12

09-25-16, 10:37 PM (EST)
26. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
I'll pass on meeting Ted Cruz!

Obama, on the other hand... I certainly wouldn't mind meeting him before his term ends.

09-28-16, 05:48 PM (EST)
27. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
I only wish I had the contacts to arrange that, Pepe. If I did, I'd ask for a trade - Justin Trudeau for Barack Obama. I'd love to meet your PM.

Agman's Spring Fling '12.2

09-28-16, 05:53 PM (EST)
28. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
Hope this link pulls up the save the skunk video that was uploaded to FB.
Coke can v. Skunk and a brave man

09-28-16, 06:55 PM (EST)
29. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
I've heard that you can meet the Pres. by climbing the wall around his house and running up and ringing the doorbell.

09-30-16, 03:55 PM (EST)
30. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
Otherwise known as the "Trick-or-treat" tactic.

09-30-16, 07:08 PM (EST)
31. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
Yes, also the "Introduction to the Secret Service" technique.

Probably no candy involved.

05-01-17, 10:46 AM (EST)
37. "RE: I think we are the reason Pepe will adapt."
what caused the demise the this place?

03-06-17, 02:48 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Friends in Old Places"
*bump* Hi Sweetie!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •