The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rest in Peace, David"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

michel2 1350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-11-16, 05:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rest in Peace, David"

I heard the news when I woke up this morning and I have been listening to his songs ever since: David Bowie died last night. His music will always live on.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35278872

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rest in Peace, David taffnic 01-11-16 1
 RE: Rest in Peace, David SpotTheDifference 01-11-16 2
 RE: Rest in Peace, David Brownroach 01-12-16 3
   RE: Rest in Peace, David kingfish 01-20-16 5
 Moments in silence and reflection a... tribephyl 01-12-16 4
 RE: Rest in Peace, David Flowerpower1 01-20-16 6
   RE: Rest in Peace, David kingfish 01-20-16 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

taffnic 5383 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-11-16, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail taffnic Click to send private message to taffnic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rest in Peace, David"
Rest in Peace "The Goblin King"

courtesy of Cap'n2patch

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

SpotTheDifference 946 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-11-16, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SpotTheDifference Click to send private message to SpotTheDifference Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rest in Peace, David"
Coincidentally, I had just added Starman to my Spotify playlist about an hour before I heard the news.

RIP.

Brownroach 15277 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-16, 01:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rest in Peace, David"
You know, I was never really what you'd call a fan of his. I didn't "get" him at first; I wasn't interested in his alter-egos like Ziggy Stardust, he just seemed to be straining to be weird, and he never seemed to sound the same so it was hard to latch onto something to identify with. But as time passed, I found I did really like a handful of his songs ("Rebel Rebel", anyone?). And I have a lot of respect for how productive and inventive he was. When I heard that he died, I was almost surprised by how shocked and sad I felt.

So yeah, I'd have to say he was one of the greats - totally unique. RIP.

kingfish 18708 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-16, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rest in Peace, David"
That tracks my own feelings toward Bowie.

I thought of him as a weird guy at first, but I've come to respect him greatly, especially his deft touch with being weird. A really gifted musician and performer who basically defined his own genre.

tribephyl 11860 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-16, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Moments in silence and reflection and..."
“The trousers may change, but the actual words and subjects I’ve always chosen to write with are things to do with isolation, abandonment, fear and anxiety, all of the high points of one’s life.” - David Bowie

“I’ve had my share,
I’ll help you with the pain
you’re not alone.”
- David Bowie (Rock 'n' Roll Suicide)

“This way or no way,
You know I’ll be free.
Just like that bluebird...
Now, ain’t that just like me?”
- David Bowie (Lazarus)

Lazarus: *almost too sad to watch*

Black Star: *fun and fantastical*

Valentine's Day: *classic creepy fun*

The Stars (Are Out Tonight): *an amazing throwback... with Tilda Swinton*

Where Are We Now?:

Flowerpower1 1327 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-20-16, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower1 Click to send private message to Flowerpower1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rest in Peace, David"
Guys, I cannot believe the man is gone! My sister, Scarlett, was a true fan through and through since she first heard him around 1970. She went to 5 or so concerts, she even got to meet him and shake his hand while he gave she and her friends an autograph. Pulling away from his huge entourage to accommodate them.

About a year ago, Pam/Scarlett, found out that there would be a museum exhibit on him and that the only place it would show in the US was Chicago. She talked me into going with her. I loved Bowie songs....Changes, Suffragette City, Anything on Ziggy, Rebel Rebel, All the Young Dudes, The Jean Genie, Pretty Things, Diamond Dogs, Sweet Thing, Cracked Actor and on and on and on. These were the songs of my life, and songs I really enjoyed, but I never dwelled on the singer. Until I saw the exhibit, David is.

At the exhibit:

It was an audiovisual tour that was so amazingly complete. With every outfit, all of his songs written out in longhand as he originally wrote them, a huge pictorial review and all of his songs. The videos were spectacular and so encompassing. It addressed his acting and his artwork as well. It dawned on me then just how much I did love Bowie.

Throughout the year, I read about 5 biography's on him, bought all the CD's, and really found him remarkable. He was a true champion for all, and he was way ahead of his time. He was a master at self promotion. He was driven and oh so productive. He kicked a cocaine habit, only to become an alcoholic and then he kicked that too. He was a gentlemen of the first order.

He was a true champion for the down trodden, the isolated, and the minority of any kind! In his Let's Dance video he used Aboriginal actors which caused a huge stir. He loved all people, no matter their ethnicity. He was the first white performer to sing on Soul Train. He was the first to publicly criticize and challenge MTV for not featuring any black artists at the time.

Apparently, he was so loved by all because he was nice and kind to all. He was a devoted family man that I do think found true happiness and fulfillment with Iman. He became the home body because he had found what he had been looking for all along, and he had truly seen it all before.

So, when Woody Woodmansy, the old bandmate of Bowie's when they formed the Spiders from Mars, and Tony Visconti, and old bandmate from the Hype, and a life long friend and producer of Bowie's formed a band, Holy Holy, and scheduled a US tour, we had to go! As Bowie no longer toured we figured this would be the closest we'd ever get to his music again. We bought tickets to see them at the Highline Ballroom in NYC, and they were performing on Bowie's birthday! We were sure there would be an excellent chance that the man would be there as well!

When we made our arrangements and had our tickets, the Musical, Lazurus, written by Bowie as a sequel to the movie he starred in, the Man who Fell to Earth, was announced and it would be running just prior to our visit. But, then it was extended 2 weeks and we got tickets for the following weekend, at $125 per ticket, in an off Broadway theater. We got seats in the second row right smack dab in the center. Michael C. Hall of Dexter fame was starring, we were thrilled! We were making a "Bowie Vacation"!

We arrived in NYC on Thursday, and went to see his neighborhood and the bookstore that featured the Mick Rock collection of photos from Bowie through the entire 1973 year, as Ziggy. The book was signed by Bowie and Rock, and sold for $1000 dollars. Yikes, but it was beautiful!

With the Mick Rock Photographic collection:

Bowie with Mick Ronson...

With the Spiders from Mars:

Also, this iconic photograph was on display to, had to share...<3 Freddie Mercury

Then, Friday we went to see the show! We met Suzy Ronson, the widow of Mick Ronson who was Bowie's lead guitarist through 4-5 albums, and the only one that Bowie really shared a stage with. He died of liver cancer in his 40's. We recognized Suzy right away and we invited her to sit with us, which she accepted. She was originally the hair dresser at 21 to Bowie's mother in Britain. So, when Bowie wanted to change his look, he came to her. It was Suzy that cut that hair and dyed it red, creating the iconic Ziggy look! Even Suzy said she thought that Bowie would be in attendance!

With Suzy Ronson:

The show was fabulous! They played all of the Man who Sold the World, and most of Ziggy Stardust, and a few others. In the middle of the show, Tony Visconti called David's private number on his cell and got the audience to sing Happy Birthday to him. We sang every song at the top of our lungs and it really did justice to the music of Bowie! A wonderful celebration. We got to meet Tony as well as Woody. Amazing show that we will never forget.

With Tony Visconti:

With Woody Woodmansey:

The band, Holy Holy:

We left New York on Sunday night to go to our mother's home in Delaware. As we were driving I told Pam/Scarlett that I had really enjoyed our David Bowie year. But, after this week, I was ready to close the chapter on Bowie, that it was time to move on. The next morning when we got up, the first thing Pam saw was that Bowie had died.

We mourned, especially Pam, the death of a truly great artist, performer, musical genius, but most of all for a great human being. He did it all his way, he communicated so much through his music and his art and he seemed to savor every bit of it. He will be sorely missed, but his work and his legacy will live on. Especially through his family and his dear children, Duncan and Lexi.

We went back to NYC with a whole different perspective. We went back to his neighborhood and walked around where he frequented. We payed our respects multiple times to the shrine outside his home. We attended the Musical, Lazurus, and cried all the way through it. What a lovely ending to his story. (Tickets for the show were now up to $2,500 per seat!) There really does seem to be a big void in the world. But, when I feel sad that he's gone, I think back and realize that we all should live the life that he had. He found true happiness in life, and he was so productive. When he looked back at the story of his life he must have felt satisfaction and fulfillment. What a gift he was.

Still cannot believe the timing of it all. It was though we were pulled to NY, for our "Bowie" vacation for a reason. I'm paying attention! What a great man!

A few more pics. Suzy told us in Britain, especially the Brixton area they have Bowie on the currency...

Here is the shrine outside his apt:

Yes, Scarlett's in red, and I am not!

Thanks Tribe for posting those links! Just thought this was an appropriate place to share....

kingfish 18708 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-16, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rest in Peace, David"
Very nice, FP. And Scar.

What an experience, what a memory, what an epitaph, and what a guy.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •