The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Well Estee, time has come."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

kingfish 18346 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-15, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Well Estee, time has come."
The SCOTUS has the balls in their court, and if that is a pun (be honest, you've been wondering about Kennedy, right?), it is an intentional one.

I give it (a hopeful and hopefully conservative) 70% chance of striking down bans on same sex marriages across the board, in all states.

Let's get it done. Then maybe we can concentrate on the minor issues like human rights for all groups, national defense, avoiding thermo-nuclear war, world wide starvation, and terrorism. And the scourge of Democratic budget busting excesses. Oh yeah, and that nutbag Harry Reid. He's a whole scourge just by himself.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Well Estee, time has come. Estee 04-28-15 1
   RE: Well Estee, time has come. kingfish 04-28-15 2
 RE: Well Estee, time has come. dabo 04-29-15 3
   RE: Well Estee, time has come. AyaK 05-06-15 10
 RE: Well Estee, time has come. foonermints 04-30-15 4
   RE: Well Estee, time has come. kingfish 04-30-15 6
       I'd Vote foonermints 04-30-15 8
 RE: Well Estee, time has come. kidflash212 04-30-15 5
   RE: Well Estee, time has come. kingfish 04-30-15 7
   RE: Well Estee, time has come. AyaK 05-06-15 9
 Ireland kidflash212 05-25-15 11
   RE: Ireland AyaK 06-01-15 12
 Supreme Court Rules In Favor of Equ... kidflash212 06-26-15 13
   RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of... kingfish 06-26-15 14
       RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of... Estee 06-27-15 15
           RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of... AyaK 06-28-15 16
               RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of... Estee 06-29-15 17
 Texas AG orders judges to deny lice... Estee 06-29-15 18
   RE: Texas AG orders judges to deny ... kingfish 06-29-15 19
       Much ado about nothing AyaK 06-29-15 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57120 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-15, 02:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
Well, we can probably take the justice whose son runs the anti-gay organization out of the 'For' column.

But even if this goes through, I think we're looking at Jim Crow, Phase Lavender. We already have a number of states gearing up bills which would defang any marriage equality ruling, and i don't doubt that a number will only see it enforced at outside gunpoint after willfully ignoring the Supreme Court in the name of their supposed deity. Who cares about law? This is about faith!

I won't mind seeing faith land a few people in prison.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

04-28-15, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
"I won't mind seeing faith land a few people in prison."

Particularly Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore. Most lower Alabama court justices have shown vacillation, and with a federal decision to finally give them a clear legal path to follow, most will follow it. Some won't but most probably will. Then, if Moore continues to defy the decision to the point of resorting to some sort of illegal action, you might get your wish.

That guy needs to go for a lot of reasons, this is just one.

dabo 26928 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-15, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
Not to mention laws to protect religious freedoms that are already protected and largely made up.

AyaK 10368 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-15, 09:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
I disagree. Remember, most of these laws to protect religious freedoms were enacted by Congress because the court wouldn't protect religious rights. The key case underlying RFRA (the law currently at issue) was in 1990:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Division_v._Smith

And the court then turned around and held that RFRA didn't apply to the states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Boerne_v._Flores

Congress reacted to that, too. Just because these laws are now being used by people with whom you don't agree doesn't change the fact that most people supported them when they were enacted, and that they were enacted because of real issues.

foonermints 13118 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-15, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
I am good for thermonuclear war.
North Korea to Los Angeles? You don't even have to AIM, so an Intel chip can at least get it close. Like San Francisco, I hope.

04-30-15, 04:02 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
They might lob an ICBM on Hollywood, where they filmed "The Interview". I think Un is still pretty miffed about that.

And he might be sentimental about Chinatown. He might have an in-law or two living there that he hasn't had executed yet.

(20 nuclear weapons? And developing long range launch systems? We maybe should be thinking about something more proactive. Maybe we need GWB).

foonermints 13118 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-15, 11:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "I'd Vote"
For Truman, anyday.

Human Life is pretty cheap over there. Dirt is worth more. Too bad about that Rainbow thing. The World might need it, or a Solar Flare..

kidflash212 4432 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-30-15, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
Start a pool on the final vote? Most say 5-4 in favor of equality. Some think 6-3 with Roberts siding with Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer and Kennedy.

Roberts asked this question during arguments:

"I’m not sure it’s necessary to get into sexual orientation to resolve this case. I mean, if Sue loves Joe and Tom loves Joe, Sue can marry him and Tom can’t. And the difference is based upon their different sex. Why isn’t that a straightforward question of sexual discrimination?"

Heard some reading that as his way of finding in favor of marriage equality without making sexual orientation a protected class.

04-30-15, 04:11 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
So you're down for a 56% bet that they will strike down state bans.

Just wire your bet to King(bookie)fish (a new business that I just thought up).

05-06-15, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Well Estee, time has come."
I agree. I think that the court is trying to see what the best way to approve same-sex marriage is without opening the floodgates to eliminate the bans on incestuous marriages and polygamous marriages.

I think many of Roberts' questions were trying to evoke answers along the lines of: if we approve this, what principle can we invoke so that all prohibitions against other types of voluntary marriage don't have to come down?

05-25-15, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Ireland"
In a landslide, Ireland votes to make marriage equality the law of the land.

06-01-15, 07:36 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Ireland"
LAST EDITED ON 06-01-15 AT 07:36 PM (EST)

It does show how fast the world has changed, doesn't it?

BTW, here's an issue where Dick Cheney was ahead of his times, as VP Cheney supported marriage equality at the same time that Karl Rove, the political advisor to his boss, the President, was leading a nationwide effort to ban it.

Heck, after looking at the absolute f--k-up job that Barack Obama is doing as world leader, it's now easy (although believable only in hindsight) to say that Cheney was right on lots of issues.

06-26-15, 10:22 AM (EST)
13. "Supreme Court Rules In Favor of Equality!"
Same sex marriage now legal everywhere in the USA!

06-26-15, 10:52 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of Equality!"
The vote was closer at 5-4 than I would have predicted.

Suck that, Roy Moore!

06-27-15, 04:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of Equality!"
One of the little bonuses here: expect him to be in jail within a few weeks. I expect him to live up to his promise. I expect many people will. And they should be arrested for denying people access to equality. But they're still going to keep right on doing it. This is Little Rock with courthouses.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is over. We already have GOP hardliners threatening Constitutional amendments to reverse this, and Cruz wants to dismantle the entire section of the document relating to the Supreme Court and have elected judges, which shouldn't hurt the Koch budget too much. (Remember: you can only claim to be defending the document if you're tearing it up.) As long as the bigots hold power, this isn't a total victory.

But it's a pretty nice beachhead.

06-28-15, 11:19 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of Equality!"
Paranoid much?

This battle is over, no matter what Ted Cruz (who is trying to win a primary against Mario Rubio as the "conservative's choice") says.

Anyone on either side who says it isn't over is just interested in fundraising.

06-29-15, 06:00 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor of Equality!"
Do hardline evangelicals still exist?

You're not paranoid when someone is out to get you.

06-29-15, 10:36 AM (EST)
18. "Texas AG orders judges to deny licenses. "
As I was saying...

06-29-15, 02:03 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Texas AG orders judges to deny licenses. "
It seems that the well of people who would wrap their bigotry in tortured biblical quotes is bottomless.

Unless I'm mistaken though, there is little a State AG can do to affect a Federal SCOTUS ruling, his only tool (now that the ruling has been made) is rhetoric.

It should be a comfort to have the Federal Supreme Court precedent though, that's better than having the issue be an open question, legally subject to individual state's politics.

06-29-15, 03:57 PM (EST)
20. "Much ado about nothing"
People seem to get very excited about bloviating blowhards. I think it says more about them than it does about the "threat" posed by the blowhards.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •