The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Molaholic 8736 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-26-14, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
Let's be careful out there --

Yesterday I received an email from a friend (well, from his account) with an urgent message telling about his being mugged in while in the Ukraine. Naturally, he's OK but his money and cell phone are gone (the thieves let him keep his passport too). The problem is the evil hotel manager won't let him leave until his bill is paid.

I recognized this as a scam as soon as I read the first sentence, but it is very frightening that his personal email account had been hacked. (I went to his FB page and posted about this - within five minutes two others responded that they'd gotten the same message). We all know to be wary of unknown messengers, but this forces a whole new level of concern.

Ride, Moley, ride!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria kingfish 02-26-14 1
 RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria Estee 02-26-14 2
 RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria kidflash212 02-26-14 3
   RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria kingfish 02-26-14 4
   RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria PepeLePew13 02-26-14 5
       RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria kidflash212 02-28-14 6
           RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria kingfish 02-28-14 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 16849 desperate attention whore postings

02-26-14, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
Yeah, I've also received similar emails purportedly from the accounts of people I know, including relatives. They aren't hard to spot, usually the friend's name leads the return address, but the rest of the address is foreign. I don't know if this was the case with you or not, though.

Apparently they get a virus or a bot or something from opening a bogus email that allows them to send those scam emails to everyone in their victim's address book.

When I receive them I alert the people I know that their email account has been hacked and that their address book is being used to scam all their friends. I haven't seen a common denominator as far as email systems, but I suspect they (the friends) are using the free easily available systems, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

Anyway, it becomes more important every day to be suspicious of everything you receive, and make sure that the address attached to received emails is the legitimate address of the person in the address line.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 56086 desperate attention whore postings

02-26-14, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
Begs the question of what kind of stupid thief would leave someone with a valid US passport. Those things are gold.

kidflash212 4014 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-26-14, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
I've been the guy whose email was hacked. My elderly aunt called me one day asking why I was sending email encouraging her to buy crap from some Chinese company.

Worst part is how hard it is to put a stop to.

Tribe!

02-26-14, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
Have you managed to stop it? If so what did you have to do?

How would one stop it?

Good question, Kingfish, gold star for you. (Thank me, thank me).

If the bot just sent your address book file to another machine, you're screwed. It's out of your hands. All your friends can do is block your bogus address.

If the bot generates the scam messages on your computer and sends them using your connection during down times, a good security program should be able to find and erase it. In the meantime, if you have DSL and/or wireless, I think you ought to be able to kill the connection to the cable modem or the router or whatever and prevent the downtime messages from being sent.

But like most all computer infections, they are a pain to get out and are so aggravating.

PepeLePew13 25044 desperate attention whore postings

02-26-14, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
The easiest way to stop this is to change your password pronto once you're aware of this hack. These bots send out spam messages based on the old password they figured how to hack into, so as long as that password is the same, the messages keep going out.

kidflash212 4014 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-28-14, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"
Changing my password helped and I basically deleted my entire address book so there were no email addresses for them to use. They had also set my email to send an automatic response to anyone who emailed me (sort of the way you set your email at work to let people know you are out of the office only sending an ad instead) which I disabled.

All of these hacks came from China. I say we blast them.

02-28-14, 11:05 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Ukraine is the new Nigeria"

Deleting the address book is about the best solution I can see. Plus being more vigilant about opening suspicious emails, but they can be clever about those things so we are all vulnerable.

If the bot or whatever came in via an email, it was already past your password protection, it didn't need to get your PW because you let it in when you signed in. It's short trip from your inbox to your address book.

Blast them? I'm thinking more along the lines of flaying them alive and letting Tse fly larve spend a couple of weeks eating their flesh. But that's just me.

Crabman

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •