The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Being Erica"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-20-09, 08:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Being Erica"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-09 AT 08:58 AM (EST)

I suspect this show is only available in Canada, as it is playing on the CBC. We have seen 3 episodes, and are totally in love with this show.

The premise is a girl who is 30-something and life is not going as she had expected. No boyfriend, and not the career she had expected to have. Enter the mysterious therapist who magically enables her to go back in time to relive (and change?) parts of her life that she regrets.

So she goes back to the highschool dance and doesn't get drunk, doesn't quit the university literature club, and doesn't lose her virginity to the highschool hunk. Really interesting to see how she relives those moments in time knowing what she has learned, and think about how might do the same.

The lead actress, Erin Karpluk, is cute in a normal sort of way, and certainly able to jump between 30-something and late teenager.

Anyone else watching? If not, check it out!

eta: Looks like episodes can be watched online (it says it will only work in Canada )
http://www.cbc.ca/beingerica/videos.html#clipId=1003616777

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Being Erica byoffer 02-11-09 1
 RE: Being Erica trigirl 02-11-09 2
 RE: Being Erica MKitty 02-18-09 3
   RE: Being Erica byoffer 02-20-09 4
 March 4 episode byoffer 03-05-09 5
   RE: March 4 episode MKitty 03-05-09 6
 3 more episodes - one to go byoffer 03-26-09 7
   RE: 3 more episodes - one to go MKitty 03-27-09 8
 Season finale byoffer 04-01-09 9
   RE: Season finale byoffer 04-02-09 10
       RE: Season finale MKitty 04-02-09 11
 RE: Being Erica Tummy 01-18-10 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

02-11-09, 09:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Being Erica"
Just in case anyone (Canada only) is watching, just a note that it is moving to Wednesday nights starting this week.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-11-09, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Being Erica"
I have seen the commercials...I will check it out. Thanks.

MKitty 2975 desperate attention whore postings

02-18-09, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Being Erica"
Hey Byoffer..yes, me and DH are watching this and totally LOVE it! I have seen every episode and was glad to catch that it moved to Wednesdays...as I panicked last week when I couldn't find it on MOnday! LOL

I think Erica is sooooo cute! I just love her. I am really enjoying the storylines and look forward to this show every week. Definately one of my new favourites!

(I always forget to come and check out this board...glad to see you posted something here )

Tribe manga'd my mug

02-20-09, 09:04 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Being Erica"
Ya, this Other Non-Reality Shows board is a stealth board. But I guess there are a lot of non-reality shows, so at least there is something for these.

Glad you are enjoying the show as much as we are. I agree that Erica (Erin Karpluk) is cute, and her character is surprisingly normal. Her crap at work from her boss in this week's show felt very familiar.

I doubt we will get a lot of discussion in here, but I hope the show does well enough to stay on TV.

03-05-09, 11:46 AM (EST)
5. "March 4 episode"
Oh geez.

I am loving this show, as I indicated above. One of the senior guys here at work is Jewish, and I got talking to him about the last week's ep (where Erica asked her sister for forgiveness during Yom Kippur, and her sister said the apology was tainted under the veil of YK). He hadn't seen the show before, but said it sounded interesting and might check it out.

Then last night's episode airs. Lesbian love and bare oobies. Felt more like Melrose Place than the Being Erica shows to-date. I am not sure if senior guy watched, but I was sure groaning wondering about that during the show last night.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with lesbian love and bare oobies. It's just not what I expected on Being Erica, especially not right after I had recommended the show to a boss-man!

It's Bachelor Love, which is like Monopoly Money in that it has no actual value outside the game. - frodis

03-05-09, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: March 4 episode"
LOL..yeah...it's funny, as my DH immediately noticed that there was a "Nudity and Sexuality" warning befor the show and he was like...huh...we have never seen nudity on the show before..and then *the scene* came up! LOL. I said..oh ..here it comes!

We kept looking at "the girlfriend" Cassidy last night and wondering where we had seen her. So, DH googled her (as we watched for her name in the credits) and sure enough, she is the "crazy" flight attendent who is struggling with stopping smoking. Love That Ad..the one where she screams at the customers and then is crying..that was her!!

So, yeah, I was also a bit surprised at how racy it was last night! Wooo-eee...definately sexier than in the past! I guess it depends on the "regret" she is working on...

Tribe manga'd my mug

03-26-09, 12:31 PM (EST)
7. "3 more episodes - one to go"
DW and I have been busy/away, so over the last 2 nights watched 3 eps to get caught up. And last night said that next week is the season finale Looks like we will see how her brother died, and might be left with a cliffhanger about Erica possibly changing the past.

I am still really enjoying this show. I have to admit that I was not enjoying the scenes with Erica at work. Prolly because her boss was always so mean to her (must have reminded me too much of my boss ). At least Erica's relationship with her boss seems to be changing a bit, and that should be more enjoyable and provide better scenes. Her male co-worker is a hoot.

We seem to have gone away from family for a few episodes (until next week). While the family episodes were prolly necessary early in the show's existence to establish background for Erica, I think the friend and work ones are more pertinent to her 30-something life. I like the way we have been introduced to her friends, and the show is honest about how friendships can change.

Judith is a wonderful actress, and having a married new parent friend is very pertinent for a 30-something. Also interesting how they play on how different friends have become successful or not.

Dr. Tom is my favourite character on the show. Having him show up in different characters always gives me a chuckle, and the goth mime was hilarious.

Which leads me to the vampire episode. DW and I were laughing hard at that. She (DW) was pretty honest that if any of her old boyfriends had pulled that vampire stuff she would have run for the door, and would not have stopped to say good bye. It was certainly a weird situation, and while an extreme I think that many people go through situations where they try to change a bit (or change others) to be in relationships.

I haven't seen any ratings for the show, but desperately hope they are good enough for it to be renewed for another season!

It's Bachelor Love, which is like Monopoly Money in that it has no actual value outside the game. - frodis

03-27-09, 12:23 PM (EST)
8. "RE: 3 more episodes - one to go"
Great..you're back! Didn't know if you were still watching it. I certainly still am..and enjoying it! I didn't realize that next week is the season finale...already?? I just read today that the CBC is keeping, but cutting the episodes of some of their top shows...like Being Erica, so I guess that is why we are getting the finale already. I have been dying to see what happened to her brother..so that should be good. I was also thinking that 'gee, we haven't seen her sister and parents for a few episodes" as well! Given that she doesn't live with them, I guess that should be normal!

I also like where her work direction is going and knew I would get very bored of her constantly screwing up at work, so glad they are letting her do well for a change.

LOVE Dr. Tom. LOVE him. He is the highlight of the show. And, like you, really love her bitchy male co-worker..he is great. And Erica? Yup, still love her and totally relate to her from my late twenties...and still think she is real, and adorable.

Can't wait until next week...

Tribe manga'd my mug

04-01-09, 09:55 PM (EST)
9. "Season finale"
I will start with the ending...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I will wait until tomorrow to post more.

04-02-09, 09:04 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Season finale"
Okay I am back. That last scene with the... new... therapist... was very disturbing. As we have noted above, we lvoe Doctor Tom. PLEASE don't let him be replaced.

Interesting show last night. I guess we knew from the previews that it would be about her brother and his death. We also had to suspect that despite the promise not to change anything, that she would. Interesting how that changed her whole future.

Interesting how Erica was more successful in her future if Leo hadn't died when he did.

So what happens next? Is Doc Tom really gone? Or will next season give us some incite into who he is and how he is able to provide his services? I can only guess that was the point of last night's show, to set that up.

Sadly, there won't be any new episodes for a long time. With that being the end of season 1, and the cuts at CBC, I am afraid for the future of this (and any) show. It is a really good show, so hopefully will be back. *crosses fingers*

04-02-09, 11:42 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Season finale"
I totally agree. This was a very hard episode for me to watch on many levels. One, because I don't want it to end. Two, I lost a brother and it brought up many issues....I had to stop the show several times to compose myself before I could continue watching it (taped on my PVR). Three, I ADORE Dr. Tom and was really disturbed by the storyline seeing him so upset and then leaving...ARGHGHGGH!

So, yeah,,,,don't know where this is going to go. I had heard that this show is considered very successful and will not be cut but may be reduced down to 8 episodes...rather than the usual 12...but I guess we shall see. I do look forward to it every WEdnesday night, so dearly hope it is not cut...and dearly hope that Dr. Tom is going to still be part of it. I was really glad Erica did the right thing in the end..but I hope the next season is also about her repairing her relatinoship wtih Dr. Tom!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed for this show returning!!!

Tribe manga'd my mug

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-18-10, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Being Erica"
Hi to both of you. Rob and I caught a commercial for Being Erica. It said it was going to premier January 20th on Soapnet. Well, I flipped over to set up the DVR for at least one episode and Soapnet was airing a marathon of the first Season. I think we missed the first one and I couldn't recorde two at the end as others were recording. But Rob and I both liked this show very much.

Can't wait for season 2 to start.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •