The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Would You Vote?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-28-10, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Would You Vote?"
Would you, could you?

Hi! Handy vote thread starter here! It sure would be nice if we get some more action going on the vote threads.

So, if you aren't voting, I'm just wondering why. I know a lot of people are trying to go completely unspoiled, and that's your choice, that's cool. Are you simply not going to the Spoiler Forum at all, not even to vote? Would it help if I provided a link to the vote thread in this forum, would you be willing then to vote?

Voting without getting spoiled at all is a little complicated but not impossible. You could go to the vote thread without seeing the rest of the Spoiler Forum if I provided a link over here, you could open the vote thread in a new window that way, one hurdle down. Then you could read through the vote thread all the way to the bottom of the initial vote thread post, not reading any other posts on the thread to see how anyone has already voted. I promise you I do not put spoilers in that starter post at all, at most I may reference something that has been mentioned in promos. Then it is simply a matter of hitting "reply" on that post, your reply screen comes up, you type your vote in the subject line and whatever you want in the message box, click "post message" and you've voted!

You may, of course, want to kill that window before you see how anyone else has voted or what they had to say. Then you can watch the episode completely unspoiled. Or you could wait and read through the entire vote thread if you want and at least have voted completely unspoiled.

Interested? If so, are there things that you do not want me putting in the initial vote thread post? Even if they have been spoiled in promos already aired by CBS? That's cool, I'll work with you.

SMILES ARE FREE

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Would You Vote? byoffer 09-28-10 1
 RE: Would You Vote? krismiss2us 09-28-10 2
   RE: Would You Vote? iltarion 09-28-10 3
 RE: Would You Vote? michel 09-28-10 4
   RE: Would You Vote? dabo 09-28-10 5
       RE: Would You Vote? michel 09-28-10 6
       RE: Would You Vote? jbug 09-28-10 7
           RE: Would You Vote? dabo 09-29-10 8
               RE: Would You Vote? jbug 09-29-10 10
                   RE: Would You Vote? PsychoKitty 09-30-10 23
               RE: Would You Vote? Tummy 10-04-10 25
       What if...? Brownroach 10-05-10 27
           RE: What if...? dabo 10-05-10 28
               RE: What if...? Brownroach 10-05-10 29
 RE: Would You Vote? suzzee 09-29-10 9
   RE: Would You Vote? dabo 09-29-10 11
       RE: Would You Vote? suzzee 09-29-10 12
       RE: Would You Vote? kingfish 09-29-10 13
           I Tell Ya What... dabo 09-29-10 14
               RE: I Tell Ya What... CTgirl 09-29-10 15
               RE: I Tell Ya What... michel 09-29-10 16
                   RE: I Tell Ya What... dabo 10-01-10 24
 RE: Would You Vote? Jims02 09-29-10 17
   RE: Would You Vote? michel 09-29-10 18
       RE: Would You Vote? krismiss2us 09-29-10 19
       RE: Would You Vote? Jims02 09-29-10 20
   RE: Would You Vote? Tummy 10-04-10 26
 RE: Would You Vote? Corvis 09-30-10 21
 RE: Would You Vote? Riordan 09-30-10 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-10, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Would I? Could I? Oh you bet!
With a goat whose at the vet.
And though my vote it might be moot,
I still would want to pick the boot.

Sorry to have been a slacker.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

krismiss2us 768 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-28-10, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail krismiss2us Click to send private message to krismiss2us Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Would You Vote?"
first, don't know what voting you are talking about. second, i never go to the spoiler thread. and i mean never. i don't like to find out in advance and sometimes, the title of the thread gives things away. so i avoid all spoiler threads at all costs.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-28-10, 07:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Would You Vote?"

I might vote with a duck.
I might vote with a truck.
But. like krismiss, I don't do spoilers.
So, you might be out of luck.

>

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-10, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Dabo, I'll tell you why I don't vote: People in Spoilers aren't really voting, they are simply agreeing with what Missyae told them. I'll pass.

Maybe a voting thread in fanatics would be more fun.

09-28-10, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Hey, you know, that's cool. I'm more concerned here about people who would vote, join in that fun if they could, but aren't for some reason that I might be able to do something about. I've avoided the boot lists so far this season myself, but yes, a certain amount of voters are following those, and there's not a single thing I can do about that.

What I can do, though, is provide guidelines for how to vote without having to read those posts, which I've done here. I could also provide links to the voting threads, so that those people who don't want to open the Spoiler Forum because they don't even want to see the subject headers of the threads there, could access the vote threads without having to see the forum itself. I have offered to do that, or rather brought it up for discussion.

As for starting vote threads in this Fanatics Forum, that would open a can of worms in that every vote could potentially be regarded as a spoiler (and spoiling is specifically prohibited in this forum), it could be incredibly problematic. All these forums are for us users to have fun with, you know. I don't want to mess that up for anyone.

09-28-10, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Would You Vote?"
True.
It's actually a nice thing you are trying to set up.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-10, 10:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Would You Vote?"
couldn't you put it in the games forum?

09-29-10, 01:54 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Games? You're killin me here, jbug, just killin me!

Really and truly, as much as some folks on this forum are avoiding Spoilers, I'm avoiding Games. Breaking the addiction, you know, not even reading game threads anymore, not doing Spoiler Island, no games. It just stopped being fun at some point, I wasn't having fun I mean, I really am trying to avoid getting sucked back into ))shudder(( games.

There is some merit in the idea of trying to make a game, or yet another game really, out of voting. But someone else can do that, figure that out, run it, it isn't going to be me.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-10, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Would You Vote?"
here, let me give you a hug - I didn't mean to cause you such undue stress {{hug}}

There are only a couple of games I can get involved in; some are much too complicated - probably not, but that's just me

PsychoKitty 678 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-30-10, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PsychoKitty Click to send private message to PsychoKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Love your siggie Dr. Jill

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-04-10, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Would You Vote?"
And Dabo - with that post you've just summed up the Spoiling Forum for me. *shudder*

Brownroach 14241 desperate attention whore postings

10-05-10, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "What if...?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-05-10 AT 04:14 PM (EST)

...we changed the format for voting -- i.e. do NOT put the person's name in the subject line, but in the body of the message.

It's true that the only people who vote anymore are those following the spoilers, so it's kind of pointless. But if the names weren't visible anyone could vote and post their reasoning, without seeing how the rest of the votes went till afterward.

The only reason to have the names in the header was to make tallying easier, and the purpose of tallying was to come up with an overall "pick" that could be compared against snewser and the picks of the other spoiler boards. None of that is applicable anymore.

ETA: I posted this before I read all the posts below and before I saw your absentee ballot set-up. That's cool but it seems like it will be a lot of work for you. I still think putting the name in the message would be a workable solution.

10-05-10, 04:20 PM (EST)
28. "RE: What if...?"
I don't mind the work but if anyone wants to volunteer ...

Taking the votes out of the subject lines is something I'm thinking about. But finales would become very difficult. And that's how it's done, you know. I've also considered insisting on votes in invisible text! HAHA!!!! That could get a bit like herding cats but it might work. It's just crazy enough ...

Brownroach 14241 desperate attention whore postings

10-05-10, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: What if...?"
For the finale I think it would fine to reinstate them in the subject line.

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-29-10, 07:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Would You Vote?"
I would if I could vote without seeing all the spoiled voters. vote by PM and you could post votes after the show out of spoilers? dunno

09-29-10, 11:10 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Interesting idea, I'll give it some thought. There are three immediate problems I can see with doing something like that:

1. It's a lot of work for whoever (i.e me) is on the receiving end of the e-mails. Actually, it just occured to me, if I could get someone designated for that job, a volunteer.. complicated, and still work for someone.

2. Part of the fun is actually reading others' views and takes on things, a simple tally of write-in votes would either not have that or, again, be a lot of work for whoever posts all that stuff.

3. It's not actually my voting thread, it's the RTVW Survivor voting thread. I took over doing it from the guys who used to do it, if I were to stop doing it then someone else would just have to take over doing it. I've played around with the wording of the rules but the rules aren't even my rules and haven't changed that much since I took over. Cosmetic changes, for my own amusement or to deal with the changes in the show over the years or to clarify the voting thread when a controversy develops, those I have no problem doing. This, though, would be a huge change in how things are done, I'd be assuming authority beyond what I'm comfortable with.

That said, however, I will give it some thought, some more thought. And if you want to know the truth, I think the anti-sigpic rule is just silly, but it came with the job.

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-29-10, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Would You Vote?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-29-10 AT 12:30 PM (EST)

It's that the vote is in the subject, that's what is keeping me from voting since the super-spoilers have come about. I just don't see getting a turnout from the non spoiled if 20 votes are for the same person and missyae or whoever is the reasoning for voting.

Game free? Come over to the dark side. Games are evolving towards the unspoiled, even kircon's PTTE has a PM version. The games focus on happenings rather then vote or who's booted.

Check out ARW's format for his game, you might be able to use that somehow or the only other thing I can think of is to not have the bootee in the subject line.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-10, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Would You Vote?"
I usually vote. And I'll continue to vote however it's set up. I completely understand your wanting to keep is simple.

And I appreciate you for the weekly threads, you've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Thanks.

When I open the voting threads, I see the post list. And these days I know from that what the sourced spoilers are saying, and from that I can deduce which tribe won the IC. So in effect there are two aspects to each episode that are spoiled until the tribes merge. Sometimes I'll scan the individual posts, but I can also reply from your original post without seeing them.

Perhaps, if you were to change the instructions slightly so that the subject line (which shows up in the post list) just says something like "I Vote For..." and put the actual vote plus comments in the body, we could avoid seeing the list of votes if we reply to the initial post, or use a fast scroll?

Doing it via PM would be OK, except that it really wouldn't be fair to you to have to collate a bunch of PM's, every week.

09-29-10, 02:00 PM (EST)
14. "I Tell Ya What..."
Yeah, I know, having the votes in the subject line is a stickler, which is why I wrote out those guidelines at the start of this thread. There actually is a reason for it. And that's another one of those things I inherited, changing it would be a problem simply because I cannot guarantee anyone would follow the rule change. I mean, keep it a secret okay, just between you and me.. I actually can't enforce any of the rules. It's been this way so long I don't know if anyone even bothers to read what I post before casting their votes.

I did add that advisory awhile back, right up top, and the spoilers have been good about keeping to this week ever since, not advancing their observations into things like "boot list says this this week, then so-and-so She-Devils next week, and then the Pagonging begins with..." Right?

Anyway, changing that rule, I'll keep it in mind.

I'll tell you what, though, I'll figure out something for next week, give suzzee's email write-in idea a trial spin around the block somehow. Not really what I was hoping for when I started this thread, but what the heck, I've got some ideas how to make it work, might as well.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-10, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: I Tell Ya What..."
Thanks dabo for trying to figure this out. I don't vote unless the boot isn't spoiled. I don't like the jumping on the band wagon feeling when everyone is voting for the same person.

09-29-10, 06:10 PM (EST)
16. "RE: I Tell Ya What..."
Putting the name in the subject field was fine when there was close to 100 voters like this:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=739&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes

(I know how to pick 'em, don't I? Outback's E6, for a long time considered the most shoking episode)

But today? with 20 voters? It wouldn't take that long. Of course, people vote without reading your comments so you'd have to put something in the thread's title.

10-01-10, 11:53 AM (EST)
24. "RE: I Tell Ya What..."
Yeah, them were the days. We walked 10 miles uphill to get to the boards, dial-up snow up to your head the whole way! Heheheheheh. Joined the boards around that time. That, actually, was the first week I really paid much attention to spoilers, I was watching the show with my children (young kids at the time) and was really only concerned about whether we should even watch that episode. As it happened we did watch but I kept the remote in my hand the whole time ready to switch channels if it got too extreme.

So, you think we should have a catch-22 rule change? Get rid of the vote in the subject line, get more activity on the vote threads, re-invent the reason for the rule in the first place? LOL! It's on the table, okay. But there actually is another reason for keeping the rule, beside it's how it's always been done, and beside the fact that even if I change it I have no way of enforcing it. Finale vote threads pretty much have to be that way, they would be a big big mess without it.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-10, 07:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Would You Vote?"
Thanks for suggesting this idea. You're completely right in guessing that I'm not voting due to potential spoilers. I'm worried that being in that thread last week, I might've accidentally seen a bunch of "Shannon"s in the subject line while scrolling.

A 2003 IceCat original

09-29-10, 07:23 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Would You Vote?"
You would be right: Out of 18 votes, 16 were for Shannon.

You should have seen the editing thread when I called them out on it!

krismiss2us 768 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-29-10, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail krismiss2us Click to send private message to krismiss2us Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Would You Vote?"
OK You people really must have a lot of time on your hands. tee hee. of course, i'm merely posting to get my daw up.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-10, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Would You Vote?"
And that's the tough thing, because I wouldn't have normally guessed Shannon going into the episode (since it's typically the weaker people off first). Just seeing others' votes can ruin some of the surprise.

Mind you, to any spoilers reading this message, I'm not saying these people should vote, because they certainly have the right to. I'm just giving my reason for abstaining from those threads.

This is kind of related to the other spoiling thread, but I have a yearly ritual where, after every Survivor finale, I read the spoilers. Every season, it's interesting to see how much was known from the start.

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-04-10, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Would You Vote?"
You can hit reply without scrolling down and seeing other posts.

BUT....I know I would probably cheat myself and scroll. It's like taking a newly sober alcoholic to a bar.

And Shannon's boot was just too sweet to watch. If I would have spoiled myself it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Corvis 3116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-30-10, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Would You Vote?"
I don't vote because it's not a vote thread. It's an I agree with the spoilers thread.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, Dabo, but I am not going to open that thread while source spoiler folks are "voting". Too big of a risk for no payoff.

Riordan 634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-30-10, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Riordan Click to send private message to Riordan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Would You Vote?"
I vote for dabo! He's the best!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •