The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"ads at top with sound"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Help Forum (Protected)
Original message

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-16-04, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wendyp Click to send private message to wendyp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"ads at top with sound"
Can you tell me how to turn the sound off on the American Idol ad. I understand the need for the ads, but it is a little long. Most of the ad have a sound off button and at work I usually click on that.

Thanks

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: ads at top with sound Draco Malfoy 01-16-04 1
 RE: ads at top with sound SurvivorBlows 01-16-04 2
   RE: ads at top with sound Spidey 01-17-04 3
   RE: ads at top with sound desert_rhino 01-18-04 4
       RE: ads at top with sound SurvivorBlows 01-18-04 5
           RE: ads at top with sound Jims02 01-19-04 6
           RE: ads at top with sound wendyp 01-20-04 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-16-04, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: ads at top with sound"
I agree. If there is any way we can go sound-free on the ads, it would help immensely. Nothing scares me more than when I'm zoning while surfing and am suddenly shocked into reality by a popup or banner ad.

"Won't it be dull when we rid ourselves of all these demons haunting us, to keep us company?"
Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:283 Loss To Date:-56

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-04, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: ads at top with sound"
We run very few ads that contain audio, and in fact far fewer than such mainstream entertainment sites such as Zap2It.com, etc. -- despite my personal feelings about them, unfortunately audio ads are becoming an increasingly popular portion of online advertising.

The Idol ad is only running for a few days, only appears when all other ads have been exhausted, and only appears a maximum of once an hour -- in other words, only extreme "heavy users" should be seeing it.

If you're seeing it more than that, it's because you don't have cookies enabled or misconfigured -- which isn't anything I can do much about... unfortunately the media has persisted this urban legend that cookies are evil things that most be prevented/destroyed... which isn't close to the truth, but that's a topic for another day.

-SB

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-04, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: ads at top with sound"
Well, it's not the first time I've been labeled a "heavy user"...

Thanks for the explanation, Webby!

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-04, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: ads at top with sound"
I wouldn't mind if it was an ad with sounds... alas, it's a flash animation that contains sound, so to get rid of the sound, you have to either turn off your speakers or disable animations entirely. Most "upper crust" ads with sound have a clearly visible "disable sound" button (Verizon, for one). That's nice.

And, just for the record, it's the FIRST ad that comes up every time I pop over to check out the site.

NOW, of course, there's the screaming ad for my big fat fiance or whatever it is. very cool. {bleh}

-- JV

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-04, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: ads at top with sound"
LAST EDITED ON 01-18-04 AT 01:06 PM (EST)

>And, just for the record, it's the FIRST ad that comes
>up every time I pop over to check out the site.

As I explained in my other post, if that's the case, it's because you've already exhausted all the other ads during your previous visits -- advertisers don't cycle the same ads all over again from the beginning every time you visit a site -- ads that you've seen during your previous visits come into play as well.

Hard as you might find it to believe, advertisers aren't interested in showing the same ad a couple of hundred times a day to the same user (which if you sit down and think about the time that some of the heavy message board users spend on the site, is a rather conservative estimate of how many page views users like yourself generate.)

I understand the ads are inconvenience to people, but as I said, they only show up when you've exhausted every other ad and are all capped at either at hourly or daily limits. And they are only running for a short period of time. Plus its not like we're running ads for items which are not directly related to the content of this website.

I've already talked to the ad network to attempt to ensure all future ads feature mute buttons or no non-user-initiated audio, but I take issue with the implication that only "lower crust" sites are running these ads -- as of right now, the same exact Fiance ads are running on Zap2It.com, among other sites. And for the record, the Fiance ad only broadcasts audio if you move your mouse over the ad -- otherwise it's silent. If you're having to mute your computer while surfing the web, its not solely due to this site, because other sites out there are displaying the exact same ads. Frankly, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone in a workplace would ever chance surfing the web their speakers on by default, but maybe that's just me.

The fact is, there's no way that anything I do is every going to make 100% of the user community happy. People don't want popups, so I get rid of popups. They don't want excessive popunders, so I cap the popunders at a maximum of two a visit. You don't want annoying flashing ads so I try and remove the most annoying of flashing ads as best as I can. If only running a site were as simple as some people seem to believe... thinking that the site can run without popup or banner ads is as naive as expecting a radio station to not play commercials -- nothing scares me more than when I'm listening to the radio and am suddenly shocked into reality by a commercial or on-air plug. But I recognize it's what keeps the radio station broadcasting.

-SB

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-04, 08:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: ads at top with sound"
Thanks for the explanation. Ads are what keeps the site running... I'm willing to turn down my sound for awhile, so Webby won't have to pay some extra bucks.

A 2004 IceCat creation

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-20-04, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wendyp Click to send private message to wendyp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: ads at top with sound"
Sorry for the can of worms!! I just thought there might be a button I was not seeing.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •