The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-01-04, 08:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSCS (FF) Miriam"
LAST EDITED ON 01-02-04 AT 03:27 PM (EST)

An antique mirror shrouded in gold leaf and pewter hung on the wall; Miriam sighed as she pondered her reflection. The flesh that once was tight and supple now showed the signs of many summers, the hair that was auburn gave way to silver and gray, and the sapphire eyes that once sparkled and shone with devilish intent had paled to soft cornflower. It was nothing that a little powder and a bit of paint couldn’t fix, and she slid the cover off her Maybelline.

The bones and muscles weren’t quite as active these days either. Her labored gait belied the graceful athlete she once was. The clothes in the closet hung neatly; with a steady hand she parted the garments until she found the perfect dress. It was medium length, plain and simple, with three large buttons on the front. Next came the shoes, a not so reverent search as she tossed the blue pumps, red sandals, and a pair of espadrilles to the side before uncovering the somber low heels.

The church was not far from where Miriam lived, and the crowd had already started to gather when she arrived. It was a warm and pleasant day, all things considered. A long and deep breath became a slow exhale as she summoned the strength to continue. The aged marble steps that she once took two at a time stood as barriers to the grand oak doors. The apse was lit with colored streams of sunshine through the stained glass windows. Candles speckled the altar casting a glow on the white calla lilies, roses, and blue delphinium. The organ piped its sentimental songs as the people filed in and took their seats.

Miriam knelt, made a sign of the cross and then slid into a pew in the rear of the church, clutching her purse to her side. The faces of the others were not familiar to her. She had heard the names many times before, but there was no way to recognize any of them. She shifted uncomfortably as the eulogy came and went without the mere mention of her name and struggled to find the peace she sought.

It had been a long day, one that brought back so many memories. Miriam stood near her bed and gradually unbuttoned the black dress and let it fall to the floor. Again she looked at her reflection and removed the makeup little by little until it was just her own pale-dry skin. She smiled a wan smile, and then pulled a bottle of his cologne from her bedside nightstand and sprayed a light mist of its musky fragrance onto her pillowcase. Miriam crawled under the sheets, pulled the quilt up over her shoulders and held the pillow tightly to her bosom. She breathed in the scent of Henry. Finally the tears came.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam FarmBoy 01-02-04 1
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam Schnookie Palookie 01-02-04 2
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam Drive My Car 01-02-04 3
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam Swami 01-03-04 4
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam PhoenixMons 01-03-04 5
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam AugustGirl 01-04-04 6
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam L82LIFE 01-05-04 7
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam Superman 01-06-04 8
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam KObrien_fan 01-19-04 9
   RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam woeisme1 01-23-04 10
   RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam Drive My Car 01-23-04 11
 RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam buckeyegirl 02-05-04 12
 Published KObrien_fan 02-07-04 13
   RE: Published SherpaDave 02-07-04 14
   RE: Published Schnookie Palookie 02-10-04 16
 So cool Drive My Car 02-07-04 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-02-04, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Feels odd to say that something so sad is good...

Very well written! I like this line:
The apse was lit with colored streams of sunshine through the stained glass windows. It packs a lot of ideas and emotions into one simple sentence.

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
I'd stick my left foot in, but I've got a kilt on.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Great writing Katie! Sad story and wonderfully told. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"

So well written. All the details that make the reader really feel her.
I loved the ending, the scent of him made it all so real.

Great story!

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-04, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Such a sad story, Katie, and I loved it! Perfect ending.

Swami

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-03-04, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
I like the contrast between all of the beauty surrounding her and the sadness that also surrounds her. Very nice. It reminds me of Faulker's "A Rose for Emily" in that way (at least, that's the way I remember the story). Beauty surrounding all of the sorrow that she's feeling. Lovely!

Oh and I really like the use of "paint" in this sentence: It was nothing that a little powder and a bit of paint couldn’t fix, and she slid the cover off her Maybelline.

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-04, 07:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Terrific story Katie. Great writing! We want more!!!

a JSlice original. isn't she something?

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-04, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Great story, hon. It was so sad, but so beautifully written. The images seem so real as I'm reading the words. Very well done.

Superman 3152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-06-04, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Excellent.

Criminals From the Neck Up

01-19-04, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
I just got a letter a few days ago that they accepted this for publication at Long Story Short, it will be published either in February or March, I am very pleased!

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

woeisme1 3588 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-23-04, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail woeisme1 Click to send private message to woeisme1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Congrats Katie.

Very sad but beautifully written. I can so relate to her.

Fish and Game Officer of G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

01-23-04, 07:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Congrats Katie! I am so excited for you! I am so glad that more people will read this story, it really is wonderful and touching.

buckeyegirl 5446 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: WSCS (FF) Miriam"
Katie, what a beautiful and sad story. I could really feel all the emotion that she was feeling. Thank you!

A Kyngsladye Creation

02-07-04, 02:47 PM (EST)
13. "Published"
Here it is in the February edition of Long Story Short

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-04, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Published"
Yay, Katie, Yay! *hop hop hop* Sooooooooo proud of you!

Criminals From the Neck UpThe Writers' Rendez-VousSmokeLong Quarterly

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-04, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Published"
Congratulations Katie! Awesome!

02-07-04, 11:20 PM (EST)
15. "So cool"

Katie, I saw your story on LSS early today, before I saw this post.
Honey, I am so glad and happy to see your words like that, shared with so many.

This is a beautiful story, and I am so happy it's been shared that I am jumping up and down for you.

I love how it looks published!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •