The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

qwertypie 8461 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-17-10, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
I've always loved this Flanders and Swann song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AngjzfSJypE
So when I came across this recipe several years ago, I just had to try it.

Breast of Chicken in Madeira Sauce with Assorted Greens with Feta, Cinnamon Dusted Pecans and Raspberry Vinaigrette

Chicken with Madeira Sauce
1.5 cups (375 mL) of long-grain rice, cooked according to label (I usually use basmati rice)
chicken breasts (skinless and boneless) - about 8 "half" breasts or 4 whole
0.25 cup (62.5 mL) of butter
2 shallots, thinly sliced
0.5 lbs (225 g) fresh mushrooms, washed and cut in half lengthwise
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leavces
***1.5 tsp (7 mL) salt (OPTIONAL - I SKIPPED THIS PART BECAUSE I WOULDN'T WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE UNHEALTHY )***
dash pepper
1.5 cups (375 mL) of dry Madeira wine (I used Blandy's which is the only brand I could find here at the local redneck liquor store. In a pinch, you could use port or other fortified wine, but the Madeira is really nice if you can get it)
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
1 cup (250 mL) light cream
0.5 cup (125 mL) heavy cream
1 cup (250 mL) grated swiss cheese
2 TBSPs (30 mL) chopped parsley (optional)

(We had sliced swiss cheese instead of a block, so I chopped it up finely and it seemed to work)
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet and cook shallots several minutes. And chicken breasts; brown well over medium heat, about 10 minutes on each side (I needed a little longer)
2. Add mushrooms, thyme, ***salt***, and pepper, cook about 3 minutes.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375F (190 C).
4. Turn out rice into lightly buttered 2 quart shallow casserole. Arrange chicken breasts, slightly overlapping, down the center of casserole. Arrange mushrooms around chicken.
5. In the same skillet, pour wine into drippings, stir to dissolve browned bits in pan.
6. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 TBSP (30 mL) of light cream.
7. Add heavy cream, rest of light cream, and the cornstarch mixture to wine mixture; bring to just boiling, stirring. Remove from heat, add cheese and stir.
8. Spoon half of sauce over chicken. Bake in oven 10 -12 minutes covered, then run under broiler several minutes to brown slightly. Sprinkle with parsley (OPTIONAL). Re-heat rest of sauce, serve with casserole.
Before putting sauce on

TA DA!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Assorted Greens with Cinnamon Duste... qwertypie 12-17-10 1
 RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear Tummy 12-17-10 2
   RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear foonermints 12-23-10 7
 RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear Starshine 12-17-10 3
 RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear Sagebrush Dan 12-22-10 4
 RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear Tummy 12-22-10 5
   RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear Tummy 12-28-10 8
       RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear qwertypie 12-29-10 9
           RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear Tummy 12-30-10 10
 YaY! foonermints 12-23-10 6
 Yum! frodis 12-30-10 11
   RE: Yum! Tummy 12-30-10 12
 RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear samboohoo 01-01-11 13
   RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear qwertypie 01-02-11 14
       RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear samboohoo 01-02-11 15
   Thickening weltek 01-14-11 17
 Results weltek 01-14-11 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

12-17-10, 01:35 PM (EST)
1. "Assorted Greens with Cinnamon Dusted Pecans and Feta"
Ingredients:
Cinnamon Dusted Pecans
1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cinnamon
1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter or margarine
3/4 (187 mL) cup pecan halves

Combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add pecans and stir constantly until pecans are lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and immediately add cinnamon-sugar mixture. Stir well to mix. Pour onto a foil-lined tray. Cool completely. Can be stored in airtight container for up to two weeks.

Raspberry Vinaigrette
2/3 cup (166 mL) frozen, unsweetened raspberries
1/4 cup (62.5 mL) water
1/4 cup (62.5 mL) red wine vinegar (I used a little more)
1/2 cup (125 mL) light or golden corn syrup
1 1/2 (7.5 mL)teaspoons ground mustard
1/2 (125 mL)- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil (the recipe called for 1 cup, but I found the vinaigrette not 'zingy' enough)
1 1/2 teaspoons chives (optional)
dash black pepper
dash salt (optional)

Combine raspberries, water, vinegar, corn syrup and ground mustard in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Gradually add oil. Stir in chives, pepper and salt. Chill until ready to serve.

Salad
5 ounces salad greens
Interesting veggies and/or fruit
2/3 cup (166 mL) crumbled feta cheese (we had a lovely sheep's feta which would have been perfect, but the rotten qwertylings got into it, so we were stuck with run-of-the-mill feta)
Fresh raspberries/blackberries optional

Combine salad greens with feta cheese. Top with fresh raspberries, if desired. Drizzle with Raspberry Vinaigrette and top with Cinnamon-Dusted Pecans. Reserve remaining vinaigrette for another meal.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Tummy 2643 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-17-10, 02:07 PM (EST)
2. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
My mouth is drooling! Drooling I tell ya.

foonermints 9508 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-10, 03:07 AM (EST)
7. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
I like the pepper. I don't know why.

Starshine 3884 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-17-10, 04:08 PM (EST)
3. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
Thank you Qwerty

I've been listening to Flanders and Swann since reading your post

Oh t'was on a monday morning that the gasman came to call

Sagebrush Dan 9187 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-10, 03:47 PM (EST)
4. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
Looks yummy! I'm going to have to give it a try.

Phylled by Tribe

12-22-10, 04:55 PM (EST)
5. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
Sent Rob to the store. He came back with Marsala instead of Madeira, oh well it's fortified, hope it's close to your flavors.

Still on the hunt for my camera's usb cable! Arrrgh

12-28-10, 04:29 PM (EST)
8. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
Made this and it was scrumptious. Had company over and they scarfed it down. Wish I would have made extra because I'm wanting leftovers and there are none.

I didn't do the salad. I just did fried brussel sprouts and a simple salad with cresent rolls.

And yes the wife asked for the recipe.

I liked the swiss cheese in it alot. But I didn't put it under the broiler as I used my new Rachael Ray Bubble and Brown casserole dish and it says not for broiler use. WTH?! But I do love them.

Next time I will use a different casserole dish and lay some swiss cheese on top to brown under the broiler. And white pepper, I'm such a white sauce/white pepper freak.

Still no cables and I didn't think to use my phone before we dug into it so no pics.

12-29-10, 11:01 PM (EST)
9. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
How did it go with the Marsala?

12-30-10, 10:02 AM (EST)
10. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
Couldn't even tell the difference. No really, I couldn't. I've never had Madeira so I didn't miss anything. I will have to try it so I can compare one of these days.

foonermints 9508 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-10, 00:12 AM (EST)
6. "YaY!"
You win the "Plating Award!" Beautiful colors!

Handmade by the incredibly talented Syren
Unlike some bushel-basket lamp hiders who may or may not be lurking with more unbidden, tasty recipes that I possibly do not deserve but shall endeavour to make in order to sate my forlorn self in respite because of a long and lonely life not only as a bar owner, a KukulGod and a Hermit Crab, but most possibly appreciating the view of a raisin, coming unbidden into the Spectrum of Evolution.

frodis 4030 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-30-10, 12:43 PM (EST)
11. "Yum!"
I made this last night!

(Well, sort of. I did have a few substitutions out of necessity and/or laziness. Mostly laziness.)

I made Chicken Kiev for Christmas Eve dinner, and to do that I had to trim the tenderloin from 16 chicken breasts. So I used all of those trimmed tenderloins for this recipe instead of chicken breasts. I ended up having more bite-sized chunks of chicken than whole breasts.

I also had shallots on hand (again, from the Kiev) but I decided not to use them because I already had a half of a sweet onion all chopped up in the fridge, so being lazy I just used those.

I also had no madiera on hand, so I used up the rest of a bottle of dry sherry (that may have been from an earlier OTCC recipe?)

No swiss on hand, so I used the rest of a container of shredded asiago that I had leftover.

I didn't have any of the salad ingredients so I made peas.

(So, does this really count as making this dish?)

It was very good! Big hit with Mr. Fro and the kids. The kids especially liked the rice. Mr. Fro took the rest for lunch today which is usually a sign of his having liked it a lot.

I did take a picture and will post as soon as I can get the camera and the laptop near each other.

Thanks, Qwerty! This is a keeper!

12-30-10, 12:47 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Yum!"
Bwhahaha. Number 1011 of the reasons I lvoe Fro - she bastardizes OTCC recipes more than I.

samboohoo 15768 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-11, 09:40 PM (EST)
13. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
I should have paid better attention to your photo. I had half & half on hand, but I bought some plain old whipping cream. My local grocer used to carry "light cream," but the new "Giant" doesn't. Oh well. I also bought heavy whipping cream.

There was no madeira to be found nearby. I didn't want to drive across town. I almost bought Port, but it looked to be red, and I didn't want to pay $10 for the big bottle of white port, which I would have never used all of. So after consulting, I went with dry sherry.

I used Uncle Ben's, and I did make too much rice. I thought we were having a guest for dinner, who didn't make it.

Everything was really good. I seem to struggle with getting my OTCC recipe sauces to thicken, despite following the directions. It was fine, just not thick. Maybe I don't boil them enough?

I worried about DH liking it, as the sauce was strong IMO. But he liked it - said it just needed a little salt. I almost made green beans, but thought we had enough food.

Also, I made a salad, no pecans. I used blue cheese because I like the pairing better with a raspberry vinaigrette. I used Kraft's Light version. I think I prefer Ken's, but the Kraft was on sale. I'm all about budgeting better in 11.

Very good Querty! I have been hitting and missing OTCC, so I'm glad I got this one.

Interestingly enough, I had madeira on hand a while ago for a filet recipe I'm going to try. I thought I still had it, but I now remember dropping the bottle and breaking it. Next time I head over to another part of town, I will stopp by Total Wine to get some more.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

01-02-11, 03:35 AM (EST)
14. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
LOL about the salt. I never cook with it (leftover from when I lived at home with a parent with extremely high blood pressure).

Mr. Qwerty loves blue cheese. Maybe I'll make his salad separate next time and give him the moldy cheese instead of feta.

samboohoo 15768 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-11, 11:36 AM (EST)
15. "RE: OTCC - Have Some Madeira M'Dear"
DH always adds salt to everything. I've somewhat weaned myself from it. And don't get me wrong, I love feta. Love it! I just prefer it with a more zesty (or salty LOL) vinnaigrette.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

weltek 16288 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-11, 12:19 PM (EST)
17. "Thickening"
Do you use stainless steel or nonstick pans when making the cream sauces? In nonstick, they won't thicken as much.

Even with stainless steel, I sometimes have a problem. I think I might add too much to the pan too quickly. I also recently heard you shouldn't "boil" cream. Who knew? Someone here did, I'm sure.

-A Tribetastic Creation

weltek 16288 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-11, 12:16 PM (EST)
16. "Results"
Sorry, I haven't been in picture taking mode. I made this last night and was great up until the sauce part. I don't think I let the wine (I used marsala, as it was what I had on hand) cook off enough before adding the cream. It almost curdled and was an odd consistency. I tried to fix it by cooking it more and whisking it a lot, but it just got worse (the cream boiled, and that was bad).

It was a good winters night dish with some oven roasted asparagus. Will be good again today for lunch, but I'll be a little more patient with the sauce if I make it again. I'd also season the chicken a bit with at least salt and pepper.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •