The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TAR 16 Detours"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

featherfish81 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-04-10, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"TAR 16 Detours"
This thread has died out the last few seasons, but I thought I'd try again.

Which detour would you choose?

I'd definitely choose Horse Sense. Follow a few directions seems much easier than the other choice, even though most of the teams had trouble with it.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: TAR 16 Detours Starshine 03-05-10 1
 RE: TAR 16 Detours Seana 03-05-10 2
 RE: TAR 16 Detours kidflash212 03-07-10 3
 RE: TAR 16 Detours popeave 03-07-10 4
 Episode 4 featherfish81 03-10-10 5
   RE: Episode 4 samboohoo 03-10-10 7
   RE: Episode 4 Tazluli 03-11-10 8
   RE: Episode 4 Colonel Zoidberg 03-11-10 9
   RE: Episode 4 popeave 03-11-10 10
   RE: Episode 4 sica077 03-12-10 11
 RE: TAR 16 Detours Starshine 03-10-10 6
 Episode 5 featherfish81 03-15-10 12
   RE: Episode 5 Earl Colby Pottinger 03-16-10 13
       RE: Episode 5 featherfish81 03-16-10 15
   RE: Episode 5 Starshine 03-16-10 14
   RE: Episode 5 Seana 03-17-10 16
 Episode 6 featherfish81 03-22-10 17
   RE: Episode 6 Earl Colby Pottinger 03-23-10 18
 Episode 7 featherfish81 03-29-10 19
   RE: Episode 7 kidflash212 03-29-10 20
 Episode 8 featherfish81 04-06-10 21
 Episode 9 featherfish81 04-13-10 22
   RE: Episode 9 Starshine 04-17-10 23
 Episode 11 featherfish81 05-07-10 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-05-10, 04:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: TAR 16 Detours"
The issues for me with the Horse Sense detour would be that I would probably veer a little from the correct direction, and how long is a step anyway?

Depending on my team mate it would probably have been the other detour for me

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-05-10, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: TAR 16 Detours"
Tough choice. I think it depends a lot on who my partner would be. I am going to choose a friend of mine, instead of my husband, who would be a total PITA to race with, and instead of my cousin, who has a number of issues pertaining to motion sickness. So Friend and I would have chosen the polo one because we both enjoy horseback riding, and we wouldn't have known that it was a wooden horse.

Yes, I let this thread die because I ended up talking to myself a lot. Thanks for starting it back up!

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-07-10, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: TAR 16 Detours"
I've ridden a horse exactly twice in my life, since the clue seemed to suggest you had to play polo on a real horse, I would have chosen Horse Sense.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

popeave 433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-07-10, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail popeave Click to send private message to popeave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: TAR 16 Detours"
I think that I'm pretty good with N, S, E, W directions, so I'm sure I would have gone for that one, especially if the clue made it sound like you have to ride a real horse. I have been on a horse probably no more than three times in my life (unless merry-go-rounds count), so I would have stayed away from polo.

03-10-10, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Episode 4"
This is a tougher choice. Given my lack of athletic ability, I would probably choose the food task, though I'd be afraid the song was really short. But after all of that beer, the soccer players are probably feeling a lot better during the Pit Stop.

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

03-10-10, 07:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Episode 4"
Sour Kraut.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Tazluli 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-11-10, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tazluli Click to send private message to Tazluli Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Episode 4"
I would have done the food task. Especially if my husband was my partner. He would been able to make a huge dent in it.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-10, 05:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Episode 4"
I'll take the soccer. I effing hate sauerkraut.

And I would have taken the time penalty instead of the beer. No point in dodging one foul-tasting dish when they throw another at you.

popeave 433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-11-10, 05:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail popeave Click to send private message to popeave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Episode 4"
With the Sauerkraut, there were two variables that were unknown before the task: the size of the pile of Kraut and the length of the song. I think that I could pack away a lot of Kraut pretty fast, but knowing that some of the eating challenges in previous TARs have involved very large amounts of food, I would be really wary of attempting that one.

I don't have much skill with kicking a fussball, but I think I would have had a clearer picture in my mind of what that task would require, so I probably would have chosen that one. I'd hate to have chosen Sauerkraut, only to get there and find that the serving size is ridiculously impossible to handle or the song is really short.

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-12-10, 00:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Episode 4"
DH and I decided that this leg was made for us (had we ever been on the race). DH could have housed the sauerkraut no matter what the time limit and I can guzzle beer like water... like Louie and Michael, but cute(r) and more athletic .

03-10-10, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: TAR 16 Detours"
Having tried to play football (American translation: Soccer) any team I was in would have eaten the Choucroute, not a big fan, but it seems a more achievable task.

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

03-15-10, 09:07 PM (EST)
12. "Episode 5"
Another interesting choice. I would generally pick the brain task over the brawn task, so I probably would have chosen Morse Code. But considering how much trouble Joe and Heidi had with it (they really weren't close to the actual message) switching might have occurred.

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-16-10, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Episode 5"
Morse is hard, but it is not that hard.

To me it looks like they did not check their work before decoding.

What they should have done is write out the dots and dashes, then listen again and check their transcript, then do it again, and keep doing it until they find no differences between what they hear and what they had recorded.

THEN decode it.

Of-course in the race, everyone feels they are in a hurry and start taking short cuts (sometimes literally) thus leading to repeat mistakes.

03-16-10, 08:12 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Episode 5"
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. I wouldn't even look at the decoding book to start, just listen to the dots and dashes. Then try to decode it, and see if I could figure out any letters I was missing.

03-16-10, 10:09 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Episode 5"
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-10 AT 10:09 AM (EST)

After a long race and then a long coach journey I may well have been very tired, if that were the case, then brawn over brain, if I felt alert enough I would have tried the Morse (and maybe switched quite quickly)

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

punctuation!

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-10, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Episode 5"
Tough call. I think my partner and I would have chosen Morse Code. We're both methodical, so I think that might have been a better choice. We are both in good shape, though, so we'd have been OK with the other task.

03-22-10, 09:18 PM (EST)
17. "Episode 6"
While I would normally avoid them like the plague, I think I might have chosen the search task this time. The skill task would definitely take a long time, especially if I had to figure out the base should have been a triangle, not a square. And the search area wasn't that large, I could have gotten lucky quickly.

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-23-10, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Episode 6"
I don't know about later, but if you are in the first three teams to arrive searching makes more sense.

03-29-10, 09:51 PM (EST)
19. "Episode 7"
I think I would have to go with the turtles. While animals can be temperamental, you could also have a broken ox, so no help there. But it looks faster than the coconuts, and no chance of missing it.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-10, 10:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Episode 7"
Turtles would have been my choice too. As Dan & Jordan learned, there are hazards to sitting close behind an ox.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

04-06-10, 07:31 PM (EST)
21. "Episode 8"
Another tough choice between two physical tasks. Neither one sounded that easy, so I'm not sure which one I would have chosen. Seeing how easily the cowboys completed the balancing one makes me want to try it, but I'm afraid I'd be like Allie and not able to hold it up. Though, I think part of their problem was that they tried to get it to balance while they were standing there, instead of moving with it. I imagine it's kind of like a bicycle - easier to balance when moving.

04-13-10, 09:20 PM (EST)
22. "Episode 9"
Two tasks that were actually different this episode!

I have a pretty good sense of rhythm, so I would probably have chosen the drums. The routine did seem a bit long, but I think I would do better at that then trying to sell ice cream sandwiches to a bunch of strangers. Though I guess it would somewhat depend on my partner's ability.

04-17-10, 02:00 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Episode 9"
I think I would have gone for the ice creams, you didn't have to sell that many, and before going you just don't know how complicated the drumming would be

05-07-10, 10:33 PM (EST)
24. "Episode 11"
This one was no contest - I would have chosen pork dumplings. Delivering things wins out over searching, especially since you had to deliver them within the market. I know it was a large market, but I think it would have been easier than searching. I guess they were all tired of the language barrier and wanted something they were more in control of.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •