URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 3925
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"TAR 16 Detours"

Posted by featherfish81 on 03-04-10 at 10:29 PM
This thread has died out the last few seasons, but I thought I'd try again.

Which detour would you choose?

I'd definitely choose Horse Sense. Follow a few directions seems much easier than the other choice, even though most of the teams had trouble with it.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: TAR 16 Detours"
Posted by Starshine on 03-05-10 at 04:51 AM
The issues for me with the Horse Sense detour would be that I would probably veer a little from the correct direction, and how long is a step anyway?

Depending on my team mate it would probably have been the other detour for me

Posted by Seana on 03-05-10 at 03:31 PM
Tough choice. I think it depends a lot on who my partner would be. I am going to choose a friend of mine, instead of my husband, who would be a total PITA to race with, and instead of my cousin, who has a number of issues pertaining to motion sickness. So Friend and I would have chosen the polo one because we both enjoy horseback riding, and we wouldn't have known that it was a wooden horse.

Yes, I let this thread die because I ended up talking to myself a lot. Thanks for starting it back up!

Posted by kidflash212 on 03-07-10 at 10:57 AM
I've ridden a horse exactly twice in my life, since the clue seemed to suggest you had to play polo on a real horse, I would have chosen Horse Sense.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by popeave on 03-07-10 at 12:23 PM
I think that I'm pretty good with N, S, E, W directions, so I'm sure I would have gone for that one, especially if the clue made it sound like you have to ride a real horse. I have been on a horse probably no more than three times in my life (unless merry-go-rounds count), so I would have stayed away from polo.

"Episode 4"
Posted by featherfish81 on 03-10-10 at 05:49 PM
This is a tougher choice. Given my lack of athletic ability, I would probably choose the food task, though I'd be afraid the song was really short. But after all of that beer, the soccer players are probably feeling a lot better during the Pit Stop.

"RE: Episode 4"
Posted by samboohoo on 03-10-10 at 07:59 PM
Sour Kraut.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Tazluli on 03-11-10 at 04:24 PM
I would have done the food task. Especially if my husband was my partner. He would been able to make a huge dent in it.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 03-11-10 at 05:08 PM
I'll take the soccer. I effing hate sauerkraut.

And I would have taken the time penalty instead of the beer. No point in dodging one foul-tasting dish when they throw another at you.

Posted by popeave on 03-11-10 at 05:08 PM
With the Sauerkraut, there were two variables that were unknown before the task: the size of the pile of Kraut and the length of the song. I think that I could pack away a lot of Kraut pretty fast, but knowing that some of the eating challenges in previous TARs have involved very large amounts of food, I would be really wary of attempting that one.

I don't have much skill with kicking a fussball, but I think I would have had a clearer picture in my mind of what that task would require, so I probably would have chosen that one. I'd hate to have chosen Sauerkraut, only to get there and find that the serving size is ridiculously impossible to handle or the song is really short.

Posted by sica077 on 03-12-10 at 00:56 AM
DH and I decided that this leg was made for us (had we ever been on the race). DH could have housed the sauerkraut no matter what the time limit and I can guzzle beer like water... like Louie and Michael, but cute(r) and more athletic .

Posted by Starshine on 03-10-10 at 06:37 PM
Having tried to play football (American translation: Soccer) any team I was in would have eaten the Choucroute, not a big fan, but it seems a more achievable task.

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

"Episode 5"
Posted by featherfish81 on 03-15-10 at 09:07 PM
Another interesting choice. I would generally pick the brain task over the brawn task, so I probably would have chosen Morse Code. But considering how much trouble Joe and Heidi had with it (they really weren't close to the actual message) switching might have occurred.

"RE: Episode 5"
Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 03-16-10 at 10:05 AM
Morse is hard, but it is not that hard.

To me it looks like they did not check their work before decoding.

What they should have done is write out the dots and dashes, then listen again and check their transcript, then do it again, and keep doing it until they find no differences between what they hear and what they had recorded.

THEN decode it.

Of-course in the race, everyone feels they are in a hurry and start taking short cuts (sometimes literally) thus leading to repeat mistakes.

Posted by featherfish81 on 03-16-10 at 08:12 PM
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. I wouldn't even look at the decoding book to start, just listen to the dots and dashes. Then try to decode it, and see if I could figure out any letters I was missing.

Posted by Starshine on 03-16-10 at 10:09 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-10 AT 10:09 AM (EST)

After a long race and then a long coach journey I may well have been very tired, if that were the case, then brawn over brain, if I felt alert enough I would have tried the Morse (and maybe switched quite quickly)

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

punctuation!

Posted by Seana on 03-17-10 at 00:31 AM
Tough call. I think my partner and I would have chosen Morse Code. We're both methodical, so I think that might have been a better choice. We are both in good shape, though, so we'd have been OK with the other task.

"Episode 6"
Posted by featherfish81 on 03-22-10 at 09:18 PM
While I would normally avoid them like the plague, I think I might have chosen the search task this time. The skill task would definitely take a long time, especially if I had to figure out the base should have been a triangle, not a square. And the search area wasn't that large, I could have gotten lucky quickly.

"RE: Episode 6"
Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 03-23-10 at 12:05 PM
I don't know about later, but if you are in the first three teams to arrive searching makes more sense.

"Episode 7"
Posted by featherfish81 on 03-29-10 at 09:51 PM
I think I would have to go with the turtles. While animals can be temperamental, you could also have a broken ox, so no help there. But it looks faster than the coconuts, and no chance of missing it.

"RE: Episode 7"
Posted by kidflash212 on 03-29-10 at 10:48 PM
Turtles would have been my choice too. As Dan & Jordan learned, there are hazards to sitting close behind an ox.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

"Episode 8"
Posted by featherfish81 on 04-06-10 at 07:31 PM
Another tough choice between two physical tasks. Neither one sounded that easy, so I'm not sure which one I would have chosen. Seeing how easily the cowboys completed the balancing one makes me want to try it, but I'm afraid I'd be like Allie and not able to hold it up. Though, I think part of their problem was that they tried to get it to balance while they were standing there, instead of moving with it. I imagine it's kind of like a bicycle - easier to balance when moving.

"Episode 9"
Posted by featherfish81 on 04-13-10 at 09:20 PM
Two tasks that were actually different this episode!

I have a pretty good sense of rhythm, so I would probably have chosen the drums. The routine did seem a bit long, but I think I would do better at that then trying to sell ice cream sandwiches to a bunch of strangers. Though I guess it would somewhat depend on my partner's ability.

"RE: Episode 9"
Posted by Starshine on 04-17-10 at 02:00 AM
I think I would have gone for the ice creams, you didn't have to sell that many, and before going you just don't know how complicated the drumming would be

"Episode 11"
Posted by featherfish81 on 05-07-10 at 10:33 PM
This one was no contest - I would have chosen pork dumplings. Delivering things wins out over searching, especially since you had to deliver them within the market. I know it was a large market, but I think it would have been easier than searching. I guess they were all tired of the language barrier and wanted something they were more in control of.