The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Flashing City Letters"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Mole Clues & Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Agent99 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-17-02, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Agent99 Click to send private message to Agent99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Flashing City Letters"
Would someone who has all the episodes taped look at the name of each city that the group has traveled. I've noticed in the last two episodes that there are letters flashing/blinking within the name of the city. I believe that last weeks episode had a flashing 'L' and last night it was a flashing "e". I believe that there have been flashing letters in other episodes? If so would those flashing letters, when put together spell out a clue as who the mole is? My apologies if this has been mentioned before, flame away.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Flashing City Letters TheBrilliantHen 07-23-02 1
   RE: Flashing City Letters Jims02 07-23-02 2
       RE: Flashing City Letters canada_mole 07-23-02 3
   RE: Flashing City Letters nowhereman 07-24-02 8
   RE: Flashing City Letters dragonstorm 07-25-02 11
       RE: Flashing City Letters TheBrilliantHen 07-25-02 12
 RE: Flashing City Letters performanz 07-23-02 4
   RE: Flashing City Letters TheBrilliantHen 07-24-02 5
       RE: Flashing City Letters Agent99 07-24-02 6
       RE: Flashing City Letters performanz 07-24-02 7
           RE: Flashing City Letters aeris 07-25-02 9
               RE: Flashing City Letters Red Lady 07-25-02 10
                   RE: Flashing City Letters Agent99 07-26-02 13
                       RE: Flashing City Letters canada_mole 07-26-02 14
                           RE: Flashing City Letters cricket_mole 07-27-02 15
                               Uh oh! TheBrilliantHen 07-27-02 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TheBrilliantHen 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-23-02, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TheBrilliantHen Click to send private message to TheBrilliantHen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Agent99, I'm replying to your post for two reasons. First, I posted about this somewhere in some gargantuan thread, and I have more to add now, and if people like playing the anagram game, this is worthy of its own thread. I also remember that someone else had a theory of some kind. Second, I love Get Smart, even though you are probably more likely named after the band.

I've seen some discussion of the DAAAE sequence but there's more to it than that. There are two kinds of map displays for the Mole: those which show where the contestants already are, with a dot, and those which show contestant travel routes, with an arrow.

When the first kind of map display has been appearing, some letters of the place name are "flashed" while the final letter in each place name has been flashed repeatedly. This is different from the square that consistently pops up under the first letter. I don't have vidcap capabilities, but the difference in the two/three types of flashing are visible using my VCR's frame advance.

Why I wonder if these letters may combine in some way to spell something...

1. In the first episode, the voice over tells us to look each week for the hidden clue to the mole's identity, and the next image we are shown is a red thumbprint, and then the first map display with flashing letters (Switzerland).
2. In addition, the internal promos for the show are composed of thumbprints which appear on the map with dotted lines, as though they show place locations...then they flash and zoom/enlarge.
3. Finally, these letters don't flash in a patterned manner (last 3 or 4 letters, skipping letters, etc.) so I think that points to another "reason" for flashing the letters.

Here's the sequence so far:

SWITZERLAND: SWTZEAND are flashed with "D" flashed repetitively

(ITALY) VICENZA: ICNA are flashed with "A" flashed repetitively

(ITALY) BARGA: ARGA are flashed with the "A" flashed repetitively

(ITALY) LUCCA: CCA are flashed with the "A" flashed repetitively
This graphic was repeated. Not sure what to make of that.

(ITALY) ROME: All letters flashed with "E" flashed repetitively.
Note that this is the first time that an initial letter has been flashed, and that in Italy, this city is called "Roma." (Yeah, I know, Americans know it as "Rome" and that could be the reason they used that spelling.)

So if you combine all the flashed letters so far (with the last, bolded letter flashed repetitively), we have:
SWTZEAND ICNA ARGA CCA (CCA) ROME

Interesting that the city they moved to with an arrow in the last episode, L'AQUILA, has two juicy L's in it, and we just got the letter "M," which might have alerted more people to the possibility of a clue in an earlier episode.

Could ABC have actually constructed an anagram clue that builds over time? If so, I have not pieced it together yet, and if so, letters from L'Aquila may finish the clue.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-23-02, 05:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
I was thinking about this too... Perhaps there is a link to the numbers of the alphabet? A being the 1st, D is 4th, and E is 5th...

I was thinking, maybe this has to do with what number the mole is seen in the episode or maybe the quiz questions.

Example: Al (since he's seen first in a bunch of confessionals)
He is shown 4th on Episode 1, then 1st, then 1st, then 1st again, and then 5th...

This is just an example, but there could be a significance to the number sequence.
-----------------------------------
Quotes of the week:
1. "Al, do you think you could move just a little?"-Myra
2. "Ewww... Patrick, no... I don't want to see that."-Heather
3. "I really hope Darwin doesn't realize I have a coalition with Dorothy, or... that could be bad."-Lisa
4. "Gas station attendants... They no NOTHING about flat tires... Let's ask these tourists!"-Darwin
5. "I swear, Rob, if this freaks me out I'm gonna punch you."-Anderson
6. "Those hills are a b!tch."-Anderson
7. "Um, thanks guys for not liking me!" (waves the $ at them)-Elavia
8. "They do look like piercing blue eyes, Heather, but I don't get it. He's totally making out with (that girl)."- Bribs
9. "I was a little surprised when Anderson came into my room in a suit. He usually just comes into my room in his pajamas, just his bottoms usually."-Darwin

10. "Man, I'm screwed."-Dorothy

canada_mole 33 desperate attention whore postings

07-23-02, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail canada_mole Click to send private message to canada_mole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Flashing letter tonite was a C I think

nowhereman 131 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-24-02, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nowhereman Click to send private message to nowhereman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Thanks for putting together this info! I had also wondered about this (in the other thread). But, as I mentioned there, it seems as if it is just paying homage to ABC's other "mole" show, Alias, which uses flashing letters in a similar fashion.

But, I think this would have been a great and cool way to create a clue.

dragonstorm 9 desperate attention whore postings

07-25-02, 04:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonstorm Click to send private message to dragonstorm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
I've been recording the episodes directly onto my computer. In each case, when viewed frame by frame, all letters flash. Some appear for one frame, some for two. I'd say all you're seeing are artifacts of reducing a generic typewriter effect to 29.97 fps.

07-25-02, 05:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TheBrilliantHen Click to send private message to TheBrilliantHen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Aha! So it's the hobgoblin of my VCR. Thanks!

performanz 46 desperate attention whore postings

07-23-02, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail performanz Click to send private message to performanz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
There is no significance to the specific letter that flashes.
The important thing is the last, or rear(admiral) letter
is the one flashing.

07-24-02, 03:47 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
>There is no significance to the
>specific letter that flashes.
>The important thing is the last,
>or rear(admiral) letter
>is the one flashing.

But then why the arbitrary flashing of the interim letters? There's always a box that pops up before the first letter, always the last letter is flashed repeatedly. So why flash some of the intervening letters, but not all, and not in any predictable manner? I just think it's weird, and there are too many anagrams possible to sort it out. hurm.

Anyway, so much for L'Aquila. Tonight's city was CALASCIO and the letters were:
ALSCO

For a grand total of:
SWTZEAND ICNA ARGA CCA (CCA) ROME ALSCO

07-24-02, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agent99 Click to send private message to Agent99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Thanks to those of you who responded and validating my thoughts on this one. I think the flashing letters (or maybe the letters that are NOT flashing) are providing a clue in some way. The complexity has gone beyond my abilities (if indeed they are providing a clue). However, since there are only 3 people left maybe we could apply the letters to match someway with each of the 3 remaining people to see if they point to any one person. I have suspected Bill since everyone wrote down their least favorite player on dollar BILLS and paid Elvira to leave, but I can't in a search for clues, discount Heather and Dorothy. Anyway, I do appreciate the follow through on this as I was rather scared to do the initial post. This was my first time, and I was quite intimidated. Lurking is easy though and I have been a lurker since Survivor 1 ep2 aired.

Finally I just want to add that TheBrilliantHen is correct about my username, I am named after Barbara Feldon - Agent99 from the show Get Smart, it is one of my all time favorite shows and thought the spy element to it and this show was a good match. I only wish that I could look as good as Agent 99.

Thanks again for the support.

performanz 46 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-02, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail performanz Click to send private message to performanz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
>But then why the arbitrary flashing
>of the interim letters? There's
>always a box that pops
>up before the first letter,
>always the last letter is
>flashed repeatedly. So why flash
>some of the intervening letters,
>but not all, and not
>in any predictable manner? I
>just think it's weird, and
>there are too many anagrams
>possible to sort it out.
>hurm.

You answered your own question, because they
were arbitrary. The only constant was the
flashing last, or rear, letter.

People are digging so deep for clues they ignore
the simple clue sitting right on the surface.

aeris 2 desperate attention whore postings

07-25-02, 01:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aeris Click to send private message to aeris Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Hi everyone, new poster here!
So i was thinking just now, what if the last letters are flashing because the mole is shown last in the introduction order. I know that in the first episode the order was different, but the D was flashing. After that, Dorothy has been the last person shown every week in the introduction order. So i think it means that it's Dorothy. Just throwing this out there.

Red Lady 2010 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

07-25-02, 02:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Red%20Lady Click to send private message to Red%20Lady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
Interesting...veerry in-ter-est-ing...(from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In...before your time no doubt )

07-26-02, 08:23 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
But not before mine. I was a kid grant you, which might explain why I liked Judy Carne as the "sock-it-to-me" girl.

canada_mole 33 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-02, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail canada_mole Click to send private message to canada_mole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
LAST EDITED ON 07-26-02 AT 08:49 PM (EST)

some one who is better at this then me might try using this (Anagram Genius) with thesse letters SWTZEAND ICNA ARGA CCA (CCA) ROME ALSCO

cricket_mole 1 desperate attention whore postings

07-27-02, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cricket_mole Click to send private message to cricket_mole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Flashing City Letters"
I was looking at it like this... Instead of using the flashing letters...If you look at the letters in these words that do NOT flash, you get the following:

I R L V E Z B L U C A I

Out of the missing letters, you get the word Bill... when you take the remaining letters, there is

R V E Z C A I

I can't get anything from THESE remaining letters....

But it didnt know if something in another language like ez or something could be used as "as" or "is"... I dunno... I am crazy.

07-27-02, 02:12 PM (EST)
16. "Uh oh!"
See the post above from dragonstorm...the flashing is consistent throughout for all the internal letters if you have a computer, so there's actually no arbitrary element in the middle...it's my VCR affecting what I see personally.

So the "rear" admiral clue is probably what this really is. Sigh....

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •