The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

sonnyray43 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-24-07, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sonnyray43 Click to send private message to sonnyray43 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
i sincerly beleive that the judges are mental, i mean what the hell are they thinking, keeping marcel over sam//sam is far superior in his cooking ablities more than marcel could even dream of, this is sad, i mean really this is stupid just can not beleive this, if this is the kind of descissions that a person can expect to see while watching a reality show as this then i truly believe that my family and i can find a much suited program to watch.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 "Booby Prize" foreshadowing EMTBGRL 01-25-07 1
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... KObrien_fan 01-25-07 2
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... PagongRatEater 01-25-07 3
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... geg6 01-25-07 5
       RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... EMTBGRL 01-28-07 28
 Please use this thread IceCat 01-25-07 4
   Bump IceCat 01-25-07 16
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... arkiegrl 01-25-07 6
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... RonReports 01-27-07 25
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... ginger 01-25-07 7
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... maryellennaco 01-25-07 8
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... petitegirl 01-25-07 9
       RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... ginger 01-25-07 10
           RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Rowan 01-25-07 11
               RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... EMTBGRL 01-25-07 12
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... TxMom2011 01-25-07 13
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Pretty_Kitty 01-25-07 14
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... ginger 01-25-07 15
       RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... tac_2 01-25-07 17
           RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... toddE 01-26-07 18
               RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... fedcamper 01-26-07 19
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Tiggertramp 01-26-07 20
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... weltek 01-26-07 21
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Fishercat 01-26-07 23
       RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... weltek 01-30-07 30
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Fishercat 01-26-07 22
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... fedcamper 01-27-07 24
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... sexyb 01-28-07 26
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... JoshInSGV 01-30-07 31
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Fishercat 01-28-07 27
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... Sues 01-29-07 29
   The Judges had their disagreements Palm Tree 01-31-07 32
 RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... livsforluv 06-25-07 33
   RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy... dabo 06-26-07 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-25-07, 00:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. ""Booby Prize" foreshadowing"
I *knew* Sam was going to be eliminated during the commerical break where it was announced that Sam was "the fan favorite" and therefore, "won $10,000" which is EXACTLY what happened to the LAST "fan favorite" in the last season of TopChef!

When I saw Sam get the $10K? That was all I needed to know. With the comments made about Elia's food? I knew the winners would be Ilan and Marcel.

I don't think that the two that are facing off are equals. I think the last several episodes have been edited on PURPOSE to heighten the controversy and animosity between Ilan and Marcel.

What happened to Ilan "playing it safe?" during the comments??

Maybe Sam lost because he didn't actually COOK anything...according to Tom C. and ?? someone else? (who said that?) Although, Sam was also defended by the Guest Chef and the person who said that "marinated" counted as cooking.

I thought Sam's dish seemed more solid, and well presented and plated than Marcel's. I thought Elia was the weakest chef all the way back to the flambe challenge. Harold Dieterle wasn't impressed with the fact she didn't know NOT to use red wine to flambe on Day 1! If Suyai hadn't freaked? Elia would have been eliminated in the FIRST challenge! She should kiss the ground she got to see Hawaii. TopChef? Nope.

Now? I'm routing for Ilan. (Not for personality. I don't care about that. I wouldn't want to WORK for Marcel, true. But, I also don't think their personalities are at all the point.)

Will I watch the finale?? Yes. But, honestly? I am less interested now that Sam Talbot is out.

I wonder what Sam will do with the $10K. That's pretty nice, though.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-25-07, 04:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Might as well give the crown to Ilan now. In the final challenge last year you had 2 chefs come back and help each of the two finalists, nobody is going to want to help Marcel with anything, and all will say Ilan should be top chef.

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I think it came down to one very simple thing - Sam didn't cook anything. The judges have never looked at the contestants overall body of work in this show, all the chefs were judged based on their performance last night and Marcel was obviously the best.

Sure, he lacks maturity - but I don't think that there's any question that he can cook. And last night with all his tools, chemicals and emulsion circulators, he was able to cook in his own style.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - President J. Adams

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 09:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
That was a stupid, stupid comment by Colicchio. Stupid.

The name of the show is Top Chef. Not Top Cook. Preparing food that is excellent to eat and beautiful to see has nothing to do with whether or not it is prepared with heat. If that was his complete reasoning? It was just a copout. Because, as any chef knows, there are numerous dishes that never see a flame or gust of hot air. And, in previous challenges, there have been numerous dishes prepared that didn't require heat.

Do chefs not prepare salads? Do chefs not prepare relishes, dressings, salsas? Do chefs not make sushi or tartares? What about gazpacho? Or, for that matter, desserts?

Sorry, but that's just crap.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

01-28-07, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
>That was a stupid, stupid comment
>by Colicchio. Stupid.

Agreed.

>Because, as any chef knows,
>there are numerous dishes that
>never see a flame or
>gust of hot air.

Not that I'm a chef, but - yep.

>And, in previous challenges, there
>have been numerous dishes prepared
>that didn't require heat.

I can think of several challenges that required preparing a dish without any heat. Vending machine challenge, pantry cupboard challenge, the one that was down at the boardwalk..and then, even though they were allowed to use heat, what about giving them just firepits to cook in, for the CA surfers? That was hardly "haute cuisine" even though it had heat. I think what Sam prepared in Hawaii without heat was more "chefly" than the CA surfer challenge over firepits. Dumb, Da DUM dum DUM!

>Do chefs not prepare salads?
>Do chefs not prepare relishes,
>dressings, salsas? Do chefs
>not make sushi or tartares?
> What about gazpacho?
>Or, for that matter, desserts?

There goes "Sushi Chef" as a valid title!

>Sorry, but that's just crap.

100% Agreed.*glares at Tom Colicchio*

IceCat 17313 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 08:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Please use this thread"
For complaints about the judging during Sam's boot.

IceCat 17313 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 07:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Bump"
Bump

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
What really bugs me is the inconsistency of Tom's remarks. Last week, he asks Sam if he would condone that type of behavior in his kitchen (when the event in place didn't take place in the kitchen), this week he says he doesn't care about the behavior in the kitchen, it's all about the end result, the food.

RonReports 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-27-07, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RonReports Click to send private message to RonReports Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
>What really bugs me is the
>inconsistency of Tom's remarks.
>Last week, he asks Sam
>if he would condone that
>type of behavior in his
>kitchen (when the event in
>place didn't take place in
>the kitchen), this week he
>says he doesn't care about
>the behavior in the kitchen,
>it's all about the end
>result, the food.
>

I agree with Tom's remarks last week. He started by telling the four chefs that they are all winners, and then he listened to some whining that attempted to get the judges to reevaluate their decision based on something other than the excellence of the food. This would be justified if it was a complaint about something as serious as one contestant assaulting another contestant, as Cliff did, but the complaint this time was trivial and Tom was right to dismiss it.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
While Tom makes colorable arguments on his blog for the choices made, it's hard to believe the ratings potential of an Ilan versus Marcel beeyotch-off didn't play some part in the selection.

Oddly, I think I am rooting for Marcel. Ilan really makes me cringe. He was the one who wanted to talk to the judges (mistake!) about Marcel (AGAIN), but he pretty much threw Elia under the bus once he'd brought it up. She wound up leaving on a sour grapes note.

I have to say, I can't say with any certainty that any of the four is better than the others because I haven't actually eaten their food. I did think the pineapple poi notion was pretty slick, esp. since I wouldn't consume real poi if you held a gun to my palate.

maryellennaco 1084 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-25-07, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail maryellennaco Click to send private message to maryellennaco Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-07 AT 01:07 PM (EST)

I'm glad Sam won the viewer choice award and the 10k. At least he won SOMETHING!! I'm not really all that interested in who wins now, I don't really like either Ilan OR Marcel. It DID seem like Ilan was throwing old Elia kind of under the bus during the judging because of all those looks he kept giving her. Then she speaks up, and he sort of just blows it off. Weird!

petitegirl 6 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-07, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail petitegirl Click to send private message to petitegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-07 AT 01:18 PM (EST)

I am still steamed about Sam getting kicked off. What are they thinking? I was hoping the 2 finalists would be Sam & Ilan. Not Marcel! The way he treats people! I am rooting for Ilan.

01-25-07, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Marcel is a jerk. That being said, what Cliff (and ILAN, who egged him on) did to Marcel was worse. Ilan talks about "deserving" and "respecting" more than Marcel but I think he's a complete hypocrite.

Which has NOTHING to do with whether he's a better cook.

Rowan 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-25-07, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rowan Click to send private message to Rowan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Sam has been strong the entire season. I can't believe they told him to take his knives and go! Marcel, the "heat Miser" looking troll........ughhhhh.....get's to move on?

I do have a question about Marcel.....in the begining of the show when they show the re-cap of the previous episodes, was it one of the camera guys Marcel had punched? Isn't that considered physical contact?

01-25-07, 02:35 PM (EST)
12. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Marcel, the "heat Miser" looking troll........ughhhhh.....get's
>to move on?

"I'm Mr. Heat Miser, I'm Mr. SUN! I'm Mr. GREEN CHRISTMAS! I'm Mr. 101. Friends call me HEAT MISER, whatever I touch, starts to melt in my clutch! I'm too much!"

Yep. Fitting. That woman that he fed chocolate to didn't seem to melt, though. The other woman said that he didn't f--- enough to understand sexy food. No Mr. Heat Miser, just Mr. Pouffant Hair Troll.

Can Marcel cook? (Apparently, since he used heat, he can "cook") *ahem* -- enough with the FOAM already! I guess so-- but, who the h-e-double hockey sticks would want to WORK for him? Not me.
>
>I do have a question about
>Marcel.....in the begining of the
>show when they show the
>re-cap of the previous episodes,
>was it one of the
>camera guys Marcel had punched?
> Isn't that considered
>physical contact?

Do you have Marcel confused with one of the Sheen brothers? ;) LOL!

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-25-07, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I am SOOOOO disappointed. I cannot belive they voted off Sam. I just cant even find the words. @!^$#%$ Reality Shows make me mad sometimes.

I figured Marcel was gonna go to the finals... but it was okay when it was Sam he was going against. Now its Ilan and to tell you the truth I dont even care about the outcome.

Sheesh Cliff.... then Sam..... sigh

I'm ready for Top Designer now

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-25-07, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
oh boo hoo Sam's gone.

Marcel desrves to be there as much as anybody and I for one can not WAIT for him to give Ilan a little payback

01-25-07, 04:53 PM (EST)
15. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Yeah, I pretty much feel like Ilan got "Sam's" spot, not Marcel. But if it were Sam v. Marcel, and if the judges wanted to pick Marcel, all heck would break loose.

Gotta say this, too - there is something to be said about playing it safe. Sam played it safe all season long. This was my (minor) complaint re Harold last season as well. I can kind of understand why they did not put Sam through to the final 2.

But he (Sam) did look MUCH hotter last night. It bears mentioning, even if completely off topic.

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-25-07, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
If Sam had been booted before last night I might have really objected but I think Ilan clearly beat him out on the challenge this week. What *did surprise me was Elia's desperate last ditch attempt to save herself with Ilan and Sam standing their looking confused. Cheesy guys! But what's even cheesier is this whole season of Top Chef - from the judges to the contestants. Really a poor showing by all considering the prestigious title which is far more valuable than the grand prize money.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-26-07, 00:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I had a problem with that episode.

First, I agree with Ginger that how can we possibly judge? All four created delicious-looking dishes we never tasted.

But I really don't think taste played hardly role at all in this episode. Elia's may have been the best for all we know. I think it was decided to be Ilan v. Marcel before anything was tasted.

Poor Elia. Ilan is all like "Elia has something to say." He started the whole thing, then when Elia tried to back out, Padma eggs her on as well. Pretty bogus, IMO.

I can't root for either of them. Oh well, there's more series coming.

fedcamper 142 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 03:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fedcamper Click to send private message to fedcamper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Geg6 and Arkiegirl voiced my sentiments exactly- if it's just about the food, why castigate them for their behavior? And if you have to COOK something, why have a challenge where no cooking facilities are available? There is no consistency, and the finalists were obviously pre-determined. At least I had a few moments of actually liking Padma when she jumped on him for his dumbass remarks!

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-26-07, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiggertramp Click to send private message to Tiggertramp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-26-07 AT 01:38 PM (EST)

I thought this was Sam's competition. I thought from the beginning that he would win. And I am not just saying that because he is the HOTTEST thing on television. Yum. He was a tall hunk of hot man in that episode.

Anyway. I am surprised, but at the competition we saw, Ilan and Marcel truly did the best job. Over all, those four chefs had been top competitors in previous challenges with a few exceptions.

Marcel is an @ss. That is true. But the boy knows what he is doing. He is a good chef. I thought they were going to make a bigger deal out of the use of xanthum gum than they did. In my opinion, they should just use food and not chemical means to make their food, but then again the rules must allow it.

The only thing that really irritated me is they said NOTHING about another freaking foam from Marcel. WTF?

And, now the finale is anti-climactic, because I thought Sam was the one. He's *my* Top Chef. I wouldn't kick him out of bed for any reason what so ever.

Excellent siggy by JSlice, Worm by the Fab IceCat And Icey bounced me! Yippee!!
I wish I were a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum...Cuz how can you be grumpy, When the sun shines out your bum??

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-07, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I wasn't overly surprised. Sam has consistently been knocked for playing it too safe in the elimination challenges. It hurt him in the end.

As for an Ilan vs. Marcell finale? Marcell has ZERO leadership ability, which is crucial to a Top Chef. Thus, if their food is even close to equal in quality, Ilan will still come out the winner. That is, if the judges have an ounce of reason and foresight.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-26-07, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
You're right on all that you said.

However, I'm really getting annoyed on the logic that it's bad if someone is "playing it safe", it's automatically a negative. Isn't the point of a show like Top Chef to create great food? Isn't that what we hear every week? The challenges alone force competitors to do it differently, and if they violate the CHALLENGE, call them out. But just because Sam doesn't decide to experiment with magical farts on a dish doesn't mean he should be punished.

And really, if playing it safe will get you five quickfire wins (two more than the other people in the Final Four combined), then I'd "play it safe" every time.

True, I got annoyed with people on Idol who "played it safe"...but that's because they did the same thing 10 times (Hey, Chris Daughtry...wait, he had a million albums sold, nevermind).

It's just disappointing. You have a non-leader who has attitude issues (it's not just the people he's dealing with. I know that people have the tendancy to gang up on the weak...but everyone?) and a fetish for foams against a wholly unremarkable and immature cook in Ilan. I'm disappointed. I thought Sam was the only guy who really fit, throughout. Cliff lost me with his treatment of Mia and Marcel, Michael did well on drugs, Elia's too shaky...there's nothing.

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-07, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I agree with you to a point. I think "safe" is the way to go for the first half of the competition, if you can do it well. When you get down to the final five, a TOP chef is a chef that can bring real creativity to the table, and still do it well. Top chefs are trendsetters, not followers.

01-26-07, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
Sam should have stayed...but as to if it should have been Ilan or Marcel who was the other person...I don't know.

I liken competitions like this (Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Project Runway) to a school year. Each competition is a different type of assignment (think of the Quickfire's as homework, or for the upcoming assessment, extra credit with the Eliminations as tests or papers.

Now, for me, I don't think a person should be judged on an individual challenge, and in the past, there has been excruciating inconsistancy on that kind of stuff. After the first "test", the worst performer goes home. After the second "test", evaluate both challenges with a weight on the recent one. Third "test", give the weight to Test #3, and so on.

This challenge could be equivilent to the "final exam", worth a lot more than past challenges. However, I think you have to consider prior events in determining a top chef. The student who gets an A- on an exam but a C for the class isn't better than the student who gets a B- on the exam but a B for the class.

Using that system, let's do a little grading. I'll use Quickfire and Elimination results alone, and with both group and individual challenges counting equally, for simplicity.

As I said, I think Sam's in, and Elia's out. So let's compare Ilan and Marcel

Elimination Challenges
Win (Quickfire or Elimination, meaning prize winner): 4.0
Close (Part of winning team): 3.0
Neutral (Could be losing team, but never in any real danger): 2.0
Almost Out (Self-explanatory): 1.0

Quickfire is Extra Credit, mostly because I don't have exact details on the responses. If the person won, it's an extra 4.0/4.0 grade, on par with an elim challenge. If they didn't win, no harm. Let's face it, the challenge never played in without immunity.

For Hawaii, I'm going to go with a 4-3-2-1 scale (Marcel, Ilan, Sam, and Elia respectively).

I'll weight it towards the end of the season:
Eps 1-6: 1x
Eps 7-10: 2x
Ep 11: 1x*
Ep 12: 3x

Ep 11 is Cliff's DQ, I decided to limit the impact only because I don't think we got a real impact beyond that Sam and Ilan were safe, and Elia and Marcel may have been going home. For that, I'll give Sam and Ilan 3.5, and Marcel and Elia 1.5.

Ilan v. Marcel
Episode 1:
Ilan: Won the Elimination Challenge (4.0)
Marcel: Was in the final judging room (1.0)

Subtotal
I: 4.0
M: 1.0

Episode 2:
Ilan and Marcel: "In" (from Wikipedia) (2.0)

Subtotal:
I: 6.0/8.0
M: 3.0/8.0

Episode 3:
Ilan and Marcel: "In" (2.0)

Subtotal:
I: 8.0/12.0
M: 5.0/12.0

Episode 4:
Ilan: "In" (2.0)
Marcel: "High" (3.0)

Subtotal:
I: 10.0/16.0
Marcel: 8.0/16.0

Episode 5:
Ilan: "Win" (4.0)
Marcel: "In" (2.0)

Subtotal:
I: 14.0/20.0
M: 10.0/20.0

Episode 6
Ilan: "In" (2.0) and "QFWin" (4.0)
Marcel: "High" (3.0)

Subtotal:
I: 20.0/28.0
M: 13.0/24.0

Episode 7
Marcel and Ilan: "In" (4.0/8.0)
Marcel: "QFWin" (8.0/8.0)

Subtotal:
I: 24/36
M: 25/40

Episode 8:
Both: "High" (6.0/8.0)

Subtotal:
I: 30/44
M: 31/48

Episode 9:
Both: "Low" (2.0/8.0)

Subtotal:
I: 32/52
M: 33/56

Episode 10:
Both: "In" (4/8)
Marcel: QFWIN (8.0/8.0)

Subtotal:
I: 36/60
M: 45/72

Episode 11:
I: 3.5 (see explanation)
M: 1.5

Subtotal:
I: 39.5/64
M: 46.5/76

Episode 12:
I: 9/12 (see explanation)
M: 12/12

Subtotal:
I: 48.5/76
M: 58.5/88

Overall Results:

I: 63.8/100
M: 66.5/100

So really, it's pretty darn close using a modified grading system. If you evened it out, I think Ilan comes out ahead with earlier victories (all his elimination and QF wins were in the first half, while Marcel's two QF victories got 2x bonuses).

Overall, I think I would choose Ilan, since the results are based off an arbitrary system, the fact that Ilan had three wins, two in elimination challenges, compared to Marcel's two wins (0 in elim challenges), and the mere fact that I don't like Marcel. I thought the artificial stuff he pulled in Hawaii was great, but I hate his attitude. And I'm allowed to be biased.

fedcamper 142 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-07, 04:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fedcamper Click to send private message to fedcamper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I like the idea of a running total, but it might be better if they were assigned a point value on each dish, 1-100; maybe something else on quickfires. That way. someone with a lot of outstanding dishes could stay safer than the "guy in the middle", they would try more for extra points, and a competition like the Thanksgiving one where the winner was the least of the evils wouldn't get as much credit as one where the best dish was out of a lot of good ones. Also, how about a blind judging where they didn't know whose food was whose? In something as subjective as a taste test, you need to keep thing as fair as possible and eliminate the appearance of favoritism (read: Colicchio's lame excuses for booting somebody.)

sexyb 1 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-07, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sexyb Click to send private message to sexyb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
It seems that bullying is totally acceptable in our society. I was the victim of it a couple of times and it steams me that people are sooo stupid as to think what they are told to think rather than use their own brain.

Marcel's behavior was far milder than most of the group. Even his pal turned against him over moving a pot from a place on the stove that wasn't even on heat. This is pure and simple a case for some of just disliking Marcel. For others it is the tendency to just follow. He clearly threatens the others with his cooking skills.

The judges are responding to the food. They do not have an agenda. Come on people THINK!!!!

I was surprised at the restraint that Marcel displayed. How many of you would be willing to take someone twice your size holding you down? Especially when he clearly doesn't like you? Yet, Marcel took the appology. He was right in saying that what Cliff did was a big deal. It was.

I, for one, hope that Marcel wins if his food is the best. The bad behavior of his competetor has totally soured me against him...and I am glad Sam lost. He is a bully, too. Why does he think he is such a big deal. Looks do fade.....

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-07, 10:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-30-07 AT 10:49 PM (EST)

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. I don't think this is a case of bullying. Marcel has absolutelly no self awareness. I've met people like Marcel at work. They walk around with their delusions of entitlement and playing martyrs because EVERYONE hates them for being so darn talented. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. If everyone has such a strong dislike for Marcel, then perhaps he's the one with the problem, not his cast mates. Elia was the only contestant that treated Marcel with a little respect. The fact that she turned on him says more about Marcel's personality than Elia's. If I had an overbearing friend like Marcel, you better believe that I would call him/her out on their crap. What was Elia supposed to do? Just take it and not say anything?

In regards to the incident with Cliff, I am in total agreement. It's one thing to taunt the little troll, but laying a finger on him is crossing the line. Cliff deserved to get booted for holding down Marcel.

01-28-07, 05:03 PM (EST)
27. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
The skewering that the judges are getting on the blogs is amusing me right now. </random>

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-07, 10:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
I'll take 'uncooked' food over chemically induced anyday......so lame...

Palm Tree 49 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-31-07, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Palm%20Tree Click to send private message to Palm%20Tree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "The Judges had their disagreements"
Writing this when I should be elsewhere, whatever!

I just read this recap of the Top Chef contestants and judges reactions in Hawaii and will just post the link in case you want to discuss it as well. I can see a BIG difference even at the way the judges had been behaving this time around, and it doesn't look good. However, this is about the FOOD, right?

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/articles/content/a12774/index-10.html

As I see it, none of the top contenders in this Top Chef season had been profesional, actually they ALL in my humble opinion had been acting like teenager Brats (excuse the language) I am fine with last years Top Chef Harold win, now I just have to think about the food and the leadership skills of this seasons chefs to make my own pick this time around.

Sam and Ilan had been cooking good food while showing leadership (if we even count good leardearship the making of another chef Elia, speak against Marcel, when she wasn't sure it was right...and the unfortunate consequences of following that leading "suggestion")

livsforluv 113 desperate attention whore postings

06-25-07, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail livsforluv Click to send private message to livsforluv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"

I can't even watch the new season now because I SERIOUSLY question the show's integrity. If they booted of Sam...they'll never find the real top chef.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

06-26-07, 00:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: sam booted,are the judges crazy!!!!!!"
They were never going to find the real top chef anyway.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •