The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Survivor should Learn from Koh-Lanta"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

michel2 3793 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-16-20, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Survivor should Learn from Koh-Lanta"
There are many differences between the US version of Survivor and the French one they call Koh-Lanta. Of course the biggest difference is that Koh-Lanta's winner only receives 100 000Euros. Another flaw in Koh-Lanta is that when a player is removed from the game for medical reason they get replaced with the last person voted out. Outside of that, Survivor would have a lot to learn from Koh-Lanta.

- Challenges: They are much more physical in nature. Obstacle courses are common while puzzles are rare.

- The Ambassadors: At the merger, two ambassadors from each tribe meet and discuss two important factors: Which beach will they use and which player left in camp will be eliminated. If they cannot agree, one of the 4 Ambassadors gets eliminated!

- The "Black Vote": After merger, a player inherits a one-time vote (called the "Vote Noir") from the eliminated player giving them 2 votes at the next TC.

- At Final 7 (or 6 in some seasons) the player who finishes last in the challenge is automatically eliminated. Another player is eliminated at the ensuing Tribal Council.

- The Orientation Challenge: Once down to 5 (or 4 in some seasons) the players face an Orientation Challenge: Given directions on a map, they must find one of the three Immunities hidden in the jungle. The three who find those immunities are qualified for the last Challenge.

- "L'Épreuve des Poteaux" ("The Perch Challlenge"): Koh-Lanta's epic final Challenge has been mostly the same for all 20 seasons: Three players stand on a small perch over the ocean and the one that stays longest is qualified for the final and chooses which of the other two accompanies him in the Final 2.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh... Aruba 05-17-20 1
   RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh... michel2 05-17-20 2
       RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh... Aruba 05-18-20 3
           RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh... michel2 05-18-20 4
 Update: michel2 05-23-20 5
 Koh-Lanta: The Orientation Challen... michel2 05-30-20 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Aruba 3243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-17-20, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh-Lanta"
I know some Spanish, and a little more of German; but no French...other than the one word you taught me a few seasons ago: “lolo.” If the show does not have subtitles, it wouldn’t be worth me watching. $100 Euro is around $110 US, so certainly not life-changing. In a way, I kinda like that better.

>- Challenges: They are much more physical in nature. Obstacle courses are common while puzzles are rare.

I’m in favor, so long as the physicality doesn’t result in a 20-something year-old male castaway winning almost every challenge.

>- The Ambassadors: At the merger, two ambassadors from each tribe meet and discuss two important factors: Which beach will they use and which player left in camp will be eliminated. If they cannot agree, one of the 4 Ambassadors gets eliminated!

How are the Ambassadors selected? We had that in S4: Marquesas. Ron and Kathy were the Ambassadors, but did not know exactly what for until they came together. In S6: Amazon, the two youngest were selected from each tribe to be Ambassadors as well. In either case no decision involved booting a player from the game. IDK...seems to me yet another vehicle to Anti-Darwin the most proactive player. How is one of the four Ambassadors eliminated if unable to come to a decision? Drawing rocks?

>- The "Black Vote": After merger, a player inherits a one-time vote (called the "Vote Noir") from the eliminated player giving them 2 votes at the next TC.

Sorta had a variation of that this past season with the booted player to bequest fire tokens upon their exit from TC. Didn’t care much for that because it tends to reward a player who was out of the loop. Giving them an extra vote at next TC is too much of a reward for playing a subpar game. Does the Vote Noir occur only one time at the first TC after merge, or every TC post-merge? If only a one-time deal, then OK, I guess.

>- At Final 7 (or 6 in some seasons) the player who finishes last in the challenge is automatically eliminated. Another player is eliminated at the ensuing Tribal Council.

Would like the US version to incorporate this variation.

>- The Orientation Challenge: Once down to 5 (or 4 in some seasons) the players face an Orientation Challenge: Given directions on a map, they must find one of the three Immunities hidden in the jungle. The three who find those immunities are qualified for the last Challenge.

Always longed for more challenges involving some type of directional search, i.e. compass, clues, etc. Like it at that stage of the game when it would be “Adios” for the last place loser.

>- "L'Épreuve des Poteaux" ("The Perch Challlenge"): Koh-Lanta's epic final Challenge has been mostly the same for all 20 seasons: Three players stand on a small perch over the ocean and the one that stays longest is qualified for the final and chooses which of the other two accompanies him in the Final 2.

We’ve had that. In Pearl Island pathetic Lil outlasted even more pathetic Fairplay and Sandra. Palau had the epic 12-hour marathon between Tom and Ian. I have always favored that format as a final IC, but as long as Probst remains host, it ain’t happening again...Jeff simply does not want to moderate a challenge that long. If it was brought back, the new-school version would be the winner chooses who will face off in the fire-building challenge.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

05-17-20, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh-Lanta"
LAST EDITED ON 05-17-20 AT 02:05 PM (EST)

Here's an alphabetical list of winners (Sex in ()) and age

Amel (F) 28
André (M) 19
Benoît (M) 22
Bertrand (M) 36
Christelle (F) 28
Christina (F) 28
Clémence (F) 2x winner 1st at 20 and then at 33
François (M) 21
Frédéric (M) 40
Gilles (M) 35
Grégoire (M) 27
Gérard (M) 41
Jade (F) 24
Marc (M) 44
Maud (F) 50
Philipe (M)38
Romuald (M) 30
Ugo (M) 30
Wendy (F) 26

So, while it tends younger, there is a strong mix of both sexes and still a wide range of age.

The ambassadors are selected by a vote. The vote format may vary but the latest season I watched had the opposing tribe voting for the other tribe's ambassadors.

If the ambassadors don't agree (which I think is rare) then one from each tribe is selected by random to compete ans the loser is eliminated.

I don't like the Black Vote either but it is an additional variable. It is for every vote after merger up to the Orientation.

The Orientation challenge, which for the current season is going to happen in the next episode, is great and there absolutely needs to be more Immunity Challenges like that. (I'll provide a link in the Fanatic thread next Saturday and I'll even give you a start time so that you can watch it while skipping all the French talk!)

With that one, the ambassadors choice and the F7 challenge, that makes 3 or even 4 players that are eliminated without a Tribal Council. I'm sure you'd love that and I like it also just because it's a traditional format. Players know to expect it.

The same applies to the "Poteaux": One iconic challenge to end the season. The record, I think, is 5 1/2 hours so it could be within Probst's tolerance. The perch gets gradually smaller and, after 5 hours, the contestants have to stand on 1 foot. It goes fast from there! Pure endurance is a much better quality to reward than jugling balls that are rolling down a rail or solving "friggin' puzzles!"

Another good thing: Most episodes are 2 hours long even if they represent only 1 cycle. You really get inside camp life.

Aruba 3243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-18-20, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh-Lanta"
You’re right, quite a mix of gender/age among the 20 winners. An observation is SEVEN of the first EIGHT winners were under 29 years old. In the last 12, only THREE were under 29. Without watching the seasons, not sure if that is just a fluke or Production made some needed adjustments to level the playing field.

I would suspect it is rare the Ambassadors would be unable to come to a decision, but if so, at least one Ambassador gets eliminated because they got their butt kicked in a challenge as opposed to some colored rock or other dumbass luck tactic.

It wouldn’t matter to me if I’m listening to French dialogue. Actually, I don't mind how the French language (or French accent) sounds. Unless, of course, the host rambles on as obnoxiously as Probst when a challenge is being narrated. In which case...I can always hit the “mute” button...

The device on the water getter smaller as the Final IC drags on was done in S12 – Exile Island. Survivor caught some flack because the smaller area favored the lighter competitor and/or one with a taller/thinner stature. So much criticism, for the following season in Cook Islands, a perch was calibrated for each player conducive to weight, foot size, etc. Personally, I do not favor any monkeying around with the apparatus as the challenge drags on...regardless how long it lasts. Whoever wants it the most—WINS!

05-18-20, 04:05 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Survivor should Learn from Koh-Lanta"
I put them in alphabetical order, not chronological so I have no idea of their time distribution. I'm thinking it's rather random because, contrary to the US version, the format fluctuates a lot less.

The "Poteaux" are rigid posts much like you find in a bird cage so the players aren't floating on water like they were in Panama which definitely favored Danielle. Here are some pictures:

If you look at pic#2, you see that there is a small part in front that is presently attached to the perch but it gets removed as the challenge reaches a certain time. I think there may have been one supporting the heel that is already gone.

05-23-20, 05:44 PM (EST)
5. "Update:"
I thought they said that the Orientation challenge would be this week but it will be next and it will be included in the Finale.

This week they had the F7 IC which was the Dominoes challenge like the one we had where Michele won. The only difference is that they couldn't just replace dominoes if they didn't space them properly; they had to tip them over and restart when they fell short. It looked much more frustrating. Also, last place was automatic elimination something Survivor should consider.

05-30-20, 06:13 PM (EST)
6. "Koh-Lanta: The Orientation Challenge"
LAST EDITED ON 05-30-20 AT 06:15 PM (EST)

Here is the link to the mythical Orientation challenge of the French version of Survivor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jnNV4EvTE

Here is how it works:

The Final 5 each get a map of an island. On it 3 areas are circled and they contain a special landmark. The 5 castaways are free to choose in which area they will search to find the landmark. Once they spot it, they know they will have to find a marker in a radius of 20 steps around the landmark. That marker will be painted in a distinct color and will have a number (For example Orange 28)

Once they find the marker they must race back to the starting line to learn the direction in which to continue their search. The colors correspond to a particular point of the compass (For example Orange could mean South West) Once they get that clue they have to go back to where the marker was first found and use their compass to walk the specified number of steps to find one of 3 daggers. The two that don't find a daggar are eliminated.

The challenge itself starts at the 18 minute mark after we get a review of the Final 5.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •