The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"Mousse Report"
Posted by Karchita on 05-24-12 at 04:47 PM
It's good to have you back, Tkitty! I have missed you, your recipes, and your gorgeous photos.

The steak concoction definitely tempted me. And that is saying a lot from one who generally doesn't eat beef. If fooner had actually dragged his azz to Casa de Karchita last weekend, who knows what would have happened.

So I made the lime mousse and it was the yummiest, not too sweet and not too tart and very, very limey. I loved it! I made a half batch because dear Mr. Karchita is generally good for one portion of any dessert that I make, and while I am sure I would have enjoyed eating 7 portions of this delightful mousse, I decided that wasn't a good idea.

Making a half of this recipe is complicated by dividing five eggs by two, but I managed. I subbed Light Cool Whip for the real whipped cream, also out of waistline considerations.

I would have liked more precise instructions (Silver Palate's fault, not yours) on how long to beat the eggs. I went for about 2 minutes at med-high speed, until fairly white and densely foamy, but I have no idea if that was too much or too little.

I also had no idea how long to cook the custard. I figured custard shouldn't have foam, but the foam never disappeared (but then maybe I beat the eggs too long). So I cooked it until it was starting to change color to a darker yellow in the bottom of the pan, which seemed custard-like to me, but it turns out that was too long as my mousse was a bit grainy. I thought at first it was the lime zest, but on closer inspection, it was actually both the zest and bits of cooked egg.

Next time I would use a finer grater for the lime zest as well.

The flavor was wonderful, however, and I love most anything with lime or lemon, so I would like to try again and see if I can work the kinks out. If you have any advice, I would much appreciate it.

I have had the Silver Palate cookbook for decades and have never made this recipe, but that is why I like OTCC. Thanks!

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •