The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Posted by weltek on 04-29-10 at 08:58 PM
True Jamaican Jerk would generally be whole chickens, split, whacked good, and smoked over pimento (allspice) wood. So if you have a smoker, go for it. If you don’t even have a grill (*coughfrodiscough*), try it in the oven. You’ll need the marinade to caramelize, so make sure if you slow roast it in the oven, the good crust is formed (i.e., don’t hide it under foil the whole time).

You can adjust the heat to your liking. The habaneros at the store were rather disgusting looking, so I used our homemade habanero hot sauce from last summer. In a pinch, you can use any hot sauce or hot pepper, but habaneros have a little inherent sweetness that will improve your marinade. Two habaneros will give you a very spicy marinade, but it doesn’t come through as a really hot burn in the final product. If you like really spicy foods, put in two habaneros. If you are more timid, try just one small one. AND FOR COD’S SAKE, WEAR GLOVES WHEN CUTTING HOT PEPPERS!!! Cannot even close to stand heat? Leave them out and put a little more black pepper in.

Now, the meat. I like pork roasts (the really marbled cheap ones are great!) and dark chicken best for this, even though I’m more of a white meat girl. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are next on my lists. I tried bone-in breasts for this and they were just too meaty to really pick up the seasoning well. If you don’t eat the skin on chicken, remove it before cooking, as you’ll really want the yummy caramelized marinade to remain part of your meal.

Again, Qwerty’s sweet potato fries, Seana’s coleslaw or Arkie’s calabacitas would make a great side dish. Dishes with sweet potatoes, rice and/or black beans, and even grilled pineapple are also delish! The side you’ll see here is simple grilled onions, peppers, and corn, tossed with brown rice, cilantro, salt and orange juice.

Caribbean Jerk Pork

Prep time: about 15 minutes
Marinade time: at least one hour, overnight is better for pork
Cooking time: about 30 minutes

1 bunch scallions/green onions (about five stalks), both ends removed and discarded, chopped into 2” sections
2 ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 ½ tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. black pepper
2 habaneros, coarsely chopped (REMINDER: Wear gloves)
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil (olive can be used in a pinch)
2 Tbsp. white or apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 pork roast, any size (ok, if you get one that serves eight or more, you’ll need more marinade!)

1. Place all ingredients except pork in a blender. Blend on high until smooth (about 15 seconds). Set aside while you prepare pork.

2. If you have a pork roast, you’ll want to flatten it out to allow more surface area. The easiest way to do this is to cut it in half horizontally, but don’t cut all the way through. Stop about one inch before your knife goes all the way through.
Spread the meat open into one big, flat piece.

Pound to an even thickness (i.e., get out the bumps). Use a fork, spiked tenderizer, etc. to pierce the pork throughout.

3. Place pork in a re-sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over pork. Shake around the bag and rub the marinade into the pork. Place in fridge at least one hour. With pork, especially, the longer the better. Ideally, do this all the day before. For chicken, be careful as the citrus may toughen the meat if it sits more than a few hours.

4. Remove pork from fridge at least fifteen minutes before grilling. Prepare grill by spraying cooking spray on grates or coating with oil and then heat to approximately 350 degrees (generally this means a lower heat).

5. Remove meat from marinade (OPTIONAL: Reserve a little marinade, boil on the stove with some orange juice for a finishing sauce) and place meat on the grill. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until pork reaches approximately 155 degrees and there’s good caramelization on the outside of the meat. Remove from grill and let rest for a few minutes (in foil is best, to keep the meat moist).

6. Slice pork and serve, Mon.

-A Tribetastic Creation

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •