The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SO Application"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devlynne 154 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-15-05, 03:46 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"SO Application"
I am interested in applying to the 'Starting Over' house. I know that my chances are one in 3000+ but believe that it is better to have tried.
I don't have a camcorder; however I hope to be able to rent or borrow one sometime soon. In the meantime, I have written out the main ideas
that I will cover on my audition tape. I would appreciate feed back and suggestions, without advanced criticisms please. So, without further ado here it goes...

Goal

Hello my name is “Devlynne” and I would like to start over. I am married with two children. Motherhood is central to my life and very important to me. However, I have made mistakes and stumbled along the way. My relationship with my daughter has been damaged and now we fight much of the time. Our fighting is tearing my family apart.
My goal is to repair my relationship with my teenage daughter.

What obstacles are preventing you from achieving your goal on your own?

• Ineffective Communication: My daughter says that she doesn’t feel heard. On the other hand, I don’t like being insulted when we disagree.
  • Lack of Role-Model: My parents abandoned me when I was an infant, only to pop in and out of my life thereafter. I was tossed around between family members, but primarily lived with my paternal grandparents.
  • Power Struggles: Two years ago my daughter was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. She has to take insulin to live. She will refuse to eat, among other things, when things don’t go her way. I have had to hospitalize her for mismanagement of her diabetes.
  • Unresolved Anger: I am angry with my daughter for harming her sibling in the past and continuing the chain of abuse from my family of origin.

How do you think we can help?

I believe life coaching will help me in a number of ways: Providing me with a mentor and role models that I have otherwise lacked; Teaching me to communicate more effectively; Giving me more information on how to avoid power struggles and resolve anger; Finally I would like to know how to instill life affirming values in my daughter, so that when she leaves home she will better take care of her diabetes and herself.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SO Application kcoxe 10-15-05 1
   RE: SO Application Devlynne 10-15-05 6
 RE: SO Application Cyahd 10-15-05 2
   RE: SO Application Devlynne 10-15-05 7
 RE: SO Application Imogen01 10-15-05 3
   RE: SO Application Sharon_L 10-15-05 4
       RE: SO Application EdifiedwithLove 10-15-05 5
       RE: SO Application Devlynne 10-15-05 9
   RE: SO Application Devlynne 10-15-05 8
       RE: SO Application Imogen01 10-15-05 10
           RE: SO Application notamonster 10-15-05 11
               RE: SO Application legacymom 11-03-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kcoxe 132 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-05, 09:09 AM (EST)
1. "RE: SO Application"

I say go for it. I feel you have really assessed your situation and i wish you much luck. If you can think of anyway I can help, I'd like to. I think your mission statement is a worthy one.

10-15-05, 05:14 PM (EST)
6. "RE: SO Application"
Thank you for your feedback and support!

Cyahd 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-15-05, 12:07 PM (EST)
2. "RE: SO Application"
I don't know how to answer your question, but I want to let you know you are in my prayers for guidance. I think you have definitely taken some major steps simply in being able to recognize and assess your situation so articualately. Maybe a step prior to the "so house" would be parenting classes offered by your local hospitals or community colleges. That may be a start.

Good luck and I look forward to updates on your progress!

Prayers

Cyahd

10-15-05, 05:24 PM (EST)
7. "RE: SO Application"
I appreciate your feedback and suggestion. I have taken parenting classes in the past and sometimes catch workshops at my children's schools, but more never hurts and I am going back to school soon.

Thank you for your support!

Imogen01 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-15-05, 01:07 PM (EST)
3. "RE: SO Application"
Hi Devlynne,

First of all, good luck!

I just have some minor suggestions about your goal, etc. For one, maybe your goal could be more specific to you. For example, when Lynnell (who fought with her daughter A LOT) was at the SO house with Hailey (daughter), her goal was "to be a fulfilled mother" or something like that. Repairing your relationship with your daughter will be an effect rather than the cause of your "started over" life, if that makes sense. Also, maybe you want to reframe or add to the "power struggles" obstacle to talk about your role in the power struggle.

Just some suggestions! Overall, an excellent job!

Imogen01

Sharon_L 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-15-05, 01:14 PM (EST)
4. "RE: SO Application"
Yes, excellent job. I'm guessing they get tons of applications so I think you've done well to keep it short. Better chance of it getting read. Best of luck to you!

EdifiedwithLove 8 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-05, 01:18 PM (EST)
5. "RE: SO Application"

Good luck. It takes courage to do what you are setting out to accomplish, not to mention on National TV but I say follow your dreams!

10-15-05, 05:51 PM (EST)
9. "RE: SO Application"
Thank you!

Actually as far as I understand the show only accepts auditions, either on tape or in major cities. I wrote everything out so I'd have a guideline for when I make the recording. I'm a little nervous about being on camera, but if I do get accepted hope I can forget the cameras are there.

10-15-05, 05:48 PM (EST)
8. "RE: SO Application"
Good suggestions! The goal should be more specific to me. Repairing the relationship would be the best effect I could ask for, but I will give it some thought and try to come up with something more personal.

My role in the power struggles... My daughter gets her stubborness from me and neither one of us wants to give in. We both want to be right, even when we're wrong. I've had a hard time letting go and trusting her to do the right to thing -- Allowing her to be independent. Things have happened to errode my trust, but she has come a long way this year and seems to be back on track while I'm feeling a little lost. I put so much of my life on hold in order to focus on saving her life, now that she has things under control I'm finding it hard to refocus.

Thank you for your well wishes and suggestions!

Imogen01 4 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-05, 10:03 PM (EST)
10. "RE: SO Application"
Hi Devlynne,

Nice clarification! Smells like a winner to me .

Christine (Imogen01)

The shell must break before the bird can fly. - Tennyson

I started over@home! http://emahe.blogspot.com

notamonster 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-15-05, 10:12 PM (EST)
11. "RE: SO Application"
Actually, Dev, I think it is a great opportunity for anyone to receive one-on-one treatment...serious, focused attention on themselves. Just remember, people wil have reactions to you that you may not like. Will probably say unkind things about you and make major assumptions about you and your inner workings. Are you ready to handle that?

legacymom 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-03-05, 06:08 AM (EST)
12. "RE: SO Application"
Hi Dev, You hang in there girl I went to a casting call in my city a month ago and am now in the process of being on the show so it can be done!! I have a 25 year old daughter who I raised by myself for the most part and we went through a lot. Although that is not my main issue for going on the show, we are struggling with something else now I hope something I do on the show can help you in any way (see my post in casting calls)In the meantime keep trying, borrow or rent a camcorder and go for it!I'm scared to death to go on the show but I feel its my only chance for happines and fulfillment right now. I hope I'm right but the L.C's are scaring the heck out of me!! Talk about rude!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •