The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contender 3: US v. UK spoilers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Contender Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-09-07, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contender 3: US v. UK spoilers"
DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE RESULTS

Apparently The Contender Season 1 and Season 2 format succumbed to low ratings. So here we have a new approach, as discussed in another thread: a Ryder Cup-like US v. UK seven-match, eight-round format.

In a UK first, Barry McGuigan will lead a team consisting of Wayne Alexander, 24-3, Anthony Small, 15-0, Ross Minter 16-1-1, Martin Concepcion, 11-3, Paul Smith, 18-0, Paul Buchanan, 8-0-1 and Nigel Wright, 17-2. In the opposite corner Sugar ray Leonard will lead a team of former US reality TV stars, set to include Alfonso Gomez, 15-3-2, Walter “Two Guns” Wright, 13-2, Grady Brewer, 22-11, Jerson Ravelo, 17-2, Freddy Curiel, 16-6, Cornelius “K9″ Bunderage, 25-2, and Miguel Espino, 13-2-1.

Well, not quite. I see Jonathan Reid ended up fighting instead of Grady Brewer. And Jesse Brinkley fought in place of Miguel Espino. Who is Jerson Ravelo? And where did this tomato can Jonathan Nelson (16-15 going into the match) come from?

But the matches have already been fought (on March 30) and have been discussed in the UK. So...

Anthony Small (UK) split decision over Walter Wright
Paul Smith (UK) TKO over Jonathan Reid R7
Freddy Curiel (US) TKO over Ross Minter R8
Nigel Wright (UK) TKO over Jonathan Nelson (who?) R2
Cornelius "K-9" Bundrage (US) TKO over Colin McNeil R7
Alfonso Gomez (US) TKO over Martin Concepcion R7
Jerson Ravelo (US) unanimous decision over Paul Buchanan
Robin Reid (UK) unanimous decision over Jesse Brinkley

We see that there were eight matches, not seven, and they split 4-4. I wonder how the show will be edited.

More info -- from Frank Warren's website:

Anthony Small earned the UK their first ever Contender point – but survived a torrid final round at the MetroRadio Arena in Newcastle.

Small, 25, had promised all week to spank a yank, but in the eighth against Walter “2 Guns” Wright found himself in big trouble for the first time in his professional career.

A fight that had meandered along for seven rounds – the crowd booed the lack of action after the fifth and sixth - suddenly burst into life, and Small, with his face bloodied, looked at one point as if might struggle to survive.

Suddenly, the crowd were cheering instead of jeering in what was an utterly compelling three minutes of action.

But the best of the action was in the first 90 seconds – Wright had punched himself out in the first minute and a half, and couldn’t nail down a knockout that at one point seemed his for the taking.

In the end, the American lost a split decision, 77-76 in his favour but 77-75 and 78-74 to Small. It gave the UK a 1-0 lead in their race for the Sugar Ray Leonard Cup.

Ironically it was American judge, Jack Reiss, who gave Small the biggest margin of victory.

Wright looked furious at the decision, which was greeted by cheers from the partisan home crowd, but only had himself to blame.

He allowed Small to set the pace in the opening rounds, his greater hand speed and movement serving to confuse the American.

Yet in the eighth Wright, 26, decided to go for broke, nailing Small early on and forcing blood to pour from his nose.

As Small reeled across the ring, Wright went after him, but couldn’t find the knockout punch.

Small, badly hurt, came firing back, and by the end of the round both boxers had fought themselves to a standstill.

There may have been a question mark over the fitness of Wright – who was heavily fancied to win the second Contender series - although he looked in tremendous shape.

Perhaps the pressure got to him as it had in Contender, when he lost to Cornelius Bundrage, but whatever the reason for his lack of ambition, he now has a third loss on his record against 13 wins. Small moves to 17-0, and despite his tricky eighth, this will go down as the best win of his career.

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contender 3: US v. UK spoilers PagongRatEater 04-10-07 1
 RE: Contender 3: US v. UK spoilers agman 04-14-07 2
 Commentary AyaK 04-24-07 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

04-10-07, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Contender 3: US v. UK spoilers"
Thanks for the post. I really don't care to just watch boxing - I like the drama, competition and human interest side of the Contender. Sounds like this isn't it. Now I don't have to invest in watching this show.

However, I understand that for ESPN those were very solid ratings. I'm surprised that they would dump the format, unless it was just too expensive.

"It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-07, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contender 3: US v. UK spoilers"

> Soylent Green: recycling
>America, one person at a
>time.

Soylelnt green huh? I had forgotten about that movie. Nice depressing sig ya got there. Back on topic, I heard that they are going to keep doing this formatt with bigger fighters next time if ratings are good.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-07, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Commentary"
With two of the matches having aired, we now know that two of the US losses didn't count, so the US won 4-2.

Or we could have just read this story:

http://www.fightfan.com/recaps/0407-Contender.html

According to representatives from ITV, the blame lay with ESPN and the American contingent who were constantly swapping the card around to ensure an overall U.S. victory. Thus non-Contender fighter Jason Ravelo got a place in the six fight tournament whilst Jonathan Reid was reduced to curtain-jerker....

It started off well for Team U.K. as unbeaten prospect Paul Smith (20-0, 12 KOs) scored a seventh-round stoppage against Jonathan Reid (34-5, 19 KOs.) It was one of the best fights of the night with both men going at it from the opening bell. Smith was marginally getting the better of things with superior a work rate and accurate body punching, but Reid was hanging in there well and landing some big shots of his own. Reid appeared to be tiring in the fifth but managed to rally towards the end of the round and continued the rally throughout the sixth. However, Smith kept the pressure up and finally felled Reid with a big left hand early in Round 7. Reid managed to get back to his feet, but an eager Smith ended up wrestling him down to the ground where the British referee – after correctly ruling it no-knockdown – bizarrely waved it off. Time was 1:07.

Nigel Wright (18-2, 9 KOs) was initially scheduled to fight Michael Clarke, but Clarke pulled out at the last minute and journeyman Jonathan Nelson (16-16, 15 KOs), who was still suffering from jet lag, was rushed in as a replacement. Unlike the first match up, it was at least understandable as to why this one wouldn’t count towards the actual tournament as the heavily outclassed Nelson was quickly dispatched after two very one-sided rounds. A body shot put Nelson down in the second and despite surviving until the end of the round, his corner decided to pull him out of the contest.

After those two fights, the fights went in the same order as shown on the series: Wright losing first, then Curiel's incredible last-round TKO, then Gomez, Ravelo (who broke his right hand midway through the fight, preventing a KO in a fight he was dominating), Brinkley and K-9.

By the way, if all the fights had counted, the US still won on the most-KOs tiebreaker.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •