The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The ballad of Johnny Football."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 56645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-14-13, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The ballad of Johnny Football."
The best description I've heard to date: "It's like Lindsey Lohan learned how to pass."

...kind of leaves a whole lot of downhill left to cover, doesn't it?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The ballad of Johnny Football. Estee 09-02-13 1
   RE: The ballad of Johnny Football. Bebo 09-02-13 2
       RE: The ballad of Johnny Football. Estee 09-04-13 6
 RE: The ballad of Johnny Football. kingfish 09-03-13 3
   RE: The ballad of Johnny Football. Estee 09-03-13 4
       RE: The ballad of Johnny Football. kingfish 09-03-13 5
 So much for freefall. Estee 04-29-14 7
   RE: So much for freefall. kingfish 05-16-14 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

09-02-13, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The ballad of Johnny Football."
LAST EDITED ON 09-02-13 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

Okay, I'm starting to see the problem now. He's got a classic case of Disease Of Me, which in this case is Entitlement plus a raging fever of The Stupids. When you're under investigation for illegally selling your signature, using an autograph gesture for a taunt -- soon followed by a hand sign indicating 'money' -- points out a social IQ normally found in the NYC comptroller race. And the raw intelligence quotient doesn't seem to be doing too well either.

He's dumb. Damn dumb. He thinks he's ten feet tall and bulletproof. He walks around in a state normally only found in the short duration between the second bottle of tequila and the three-day-blackout. And he likely believes it's all okay because the Big League Money is waiting for him in the NFL and then he can really get down to serious acts of excess --

-- but there's one problem. The NFL is being slightly more careful about character issues. If he could somehow be drafted today -- if all current college players were eligible -- my guess is that he'd freefall out of the first round. Not all the way out of the draft itself: some GM would take the Bad Boy chance on him. ('I know he's cheated on everyone else he's ever dated, but I can make it work!') But early Pay Me cash? Not as much as he thinks. And just try getting endorsements from the big companies right now. Go on, try it.

He hasn't turned himself into Johnny Used Car Salesman just yet. But the exit ramp is looming ahead. And that car isn't slowing down.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Bebo 20889 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-13, 07:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The ballad of Johnny Football."
I heard a stat this weekend that 4 of the last 7 Heisman Trophy QB's are out of the league now. So GM's have to wonder whether drafting a QB means you're getting RG3 or Cam Newton...or a Troy Smith or Matt Leinart. And it doesn't get prettier looking back either. How about Chris Weinke? Charlie Ward? Gino Toretta? Ty Detmer? The list of Heisman Trophy QBs with poor NFL results is long. Before Cam and RG3, the only one on the recent list who had done anything worth noting was Carson Palmer.

After winning the Heisman, Johnny has nowhere to go but down. Throw in the investigation and all of the stupidity, and he's looking more and more like kryptonite. He may end up with super shiny stats, but they won't be overly impressive when it comes draft time.

09-04-13, 11:36 AM (EST)
6. "RE: The ballad of Johnny Football."
There's a Tubya joke here, but I'll save it for another thread.

Does this say more about the quality of the average college football player or the typical Heisman voter? The later is known to be heavily prejudiced towards certain positions. (Quick: name the last winner who played on defense. Okay -- slow, name the last winner...) They like a given type of stat and a quantified performance level for those numbers. And so little of it ever seems to translate into success once you hit the pros...

kingfish 17189 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-13, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The ballad of Johnny Football."
OK. Let's put the fact that he's a juvenile jerk off the field aside for a moment. He is that, no argument. I think Johnny FU would be an appropriate sobriquet.

Let's also put the fact that he's an unstoppable offensive maestro of a QB. Let’s also put aside the fact that he holds a fist full of QB records, surpassing every QB in history in major offensive categories, and is the first freshman in history to win the Heisman. He is all of that too, no argument. He is Johnny Football on the field.

Let’s put those little things aside and just look as the NCAA related legal problem he faced.

This article pretty well sums up the situation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--johnny-manziel-s-suspension-exposes-ridiculousness-of-ncaa-s-double-standards-012517037.html

When your laughter finally subsides, one has to wonder why every starting NCAA collegiate athlete who has memorabilia sold with his/her name on it hasn't been penalized.

09-03-13, 01:25 PM (EST)
4. "RE: The ballad of Johnny Football."
I'm not arguing that the NCAA is among the biggest group of money-grubbing hypocrites on the planet, right up there with the IOC. (FIFA at least mostly stopped pretending they weren't all about the bribes.) But there's a way to fight them -- the Ed O'Bannon way. Johnny FU's ain't it. And if anyone argues that he's actually doing this to bring them down, pardon me while I laugh again.

He's stupid and he thinks he can't be hurt. It's a fatal combination.

09-03-13, 09:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The ballad of Johnny Football."
LAST EDITED ON 09-10-13 AT 10:16 AM (EST)

Johnny FU didn't write and incorporate that rule into the NCAA rulebook, the NCAA did. I agree that JFU isn't doing what he's doing in order to bring them down. JFU is a FU, and all he's doing is FUing up. But that was the NCAA's FU, and I'd lay money on the table that says that that rule will be modified/eliminated pretty soon.

But his FU's are that of a typical college kid put in a national spotlight with the first Heisman in history by a freshman athlete, and told by the media that he's the Jesus Christ of College football.

He didn't do drugs (not caught anyway), he doesn't drink (again not caught, but come on, we know he has, but so what? What college 19-20YO straight off the farm hasn't tried a nip?), didn't do any hit and runs, shoplifting, or put a sex tape on the internet. So the Lindsey Lohan analogy is a bit thin. There're both FUs, but analogous?

His response to taunting on the field was to respond. And respond again when the taunting by the Rice players was repeated. If they are going to throw a penalty on JFU, what about the Rice guys (2 of them) that started that correspondence? And are the refs even aware of what goes on before every snap at the line of scrimmage?

The Press is being a bit hard on JFU, and anybody with an ounce of skeptism has to doubt his story in regard to the no-cash for autographs story. But no there's no proof, and maybe there's a reason for that. You know that they checked his financial transaction records, and a dumb kid like that could hardly be smart enough to not give himself away somehow. If he had received a stack of cash I think he would have gone out and bought those rims, or a even that new Corvette. He is, at heart, JFU, and he'd FU if he could. He tries.

Here in Alabama, the local sports writers are really getting silly with their versions of what an infamous FU Johnny is, and getting giddy with each Texas party he gets thrown out of or parking ticket he receives (not exactly Lohanesque crimes). According to them (and some national writers) there is no way that he could repeat 2012 with another year of training under a system and a new coach that both have had a full year to mature. To me, those things seem like they could be advantageous, but not to them.

04-29-14, 08:38 AM (EST)
7. "So much for freefall."
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-14 AT 08:39 AM (EST)

SI reports a cushion of overpaying stupidity standing ready to catch him, no matter what it takes to move up into the proper position for that draft pick.

What kind of GM would do that, let alone allow such information out in public?

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/28/dallas-cowboys-johnny-manziel-2014-nfl-draft/?xid=nl_siextra

Ask a stupid question.

05-16-14, 09:10 AM (EST)
8. "RE: So much for freefall."
A guy that basically blows out the toughest conference in college football in his freshman year, and it's stupidity to trade up for him?

Instead, I think the fact that he was passed on by the Texans (OK, Clowney was a very tempting pick, but there was a "we'll see" caveat with him, too) and others including the Cowboys until he was picked 22nd by the Browns were outstanding examples of stupidity.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •