The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

aethelstan 4423 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-04-14, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
This is what I've found to be the MLB Hall of Fame ballot for this year. I'm not completely sure it's the official one but whether it includes one or two extra guys, those guys won't matter.

One big change this year: Players can only stay on the ballot for 10 years instead of 15! Mattingly, Smith and Trammell are grandfathered in.
This is essentially going to kill Raines' chances of getting in as he was trending to get in around year 12 or 13. It will also remove Mark McGwire sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this decision. If you want to make the ballot smaller, make the criteria for staying on 7% or 10%. How many people got 5% on year and made it to the Hall? Contrast that with how many people have made it to the Hall in their 11th-15th years of eligibility. It's a no contest.

Player Year
†Rich Aurilia 1st
Jeff Bagwell 5th
Craig Biggio 3rd
Barry Bonds 3rd
†Aaron Boone 1st
†Tony Clark 1st
Roger Clemens 3rd
†Carlos Delgado 1st
†Jermaine Dye 1st
†Darin Erstad 1st
†Cliff Floyd 1st
†Nomar Garciaparra 1st
†Brian Giles 1st
†Tom Gordon 1st
†Eddie Guardado 1st
†Randy Johnson 1st
Jeff Kent 2nd
Edgar Martínez 6th
†Pedro Martínez 1st
Don Mattingly 15th
Fred McGriff 6th
Mark McGwire 9th
Mike Mussina 2nd
†Troy Percival 1st
Mike Piazza 3rd
Tim Raines 8th
Curt Schilling 3rd
†Jason Schmidt 1st
†Gary Sheffield 1st
Lee Smith 13th
†John Smoltz 1st
Sammy Sosa 3rd
Alan Trammell 14th
Larry Walker 5th

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015 aethelstan 12-04-14 1
   RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015 kingfish 01-05-15 5
 RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015 PepeLePew13 12-04-14 2
 RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015 Estee 12-04-14 3
 RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015 AyaK 01-05-15 4
 RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015 PepeLePew13 01-06-15 6
 The class of 2015 Estee 01-06-15 7
 Gil Hodges, Part II. Estee 01-06-15 8
   He'll make it AyaK 01-06-15 10
       RE: He'll make it PepeLePew13 01-06-15 11
           RE: He'll make it Molaholic 01-07-15 12
 My ballot kingfish 01-06-15 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

aethelstan 4423 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-04-14, 00:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
I'd say the names of interest from that list are:

Bagwell, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Garciaparra, Johnson, Kent, E. Martinez, P. Martinez, Mattingly, McGriff, McGwire, Mussina, Piazza,
Raines, Schilling, Smith, Smoltz, Sosa, Trammell, Walker.

That's still a packed ballot!

My ballot would include:
Bagwell, Biggio, Johnson, P. Martinez, McGriff, Raines, Smoltz, Trammell, Walker. One more name? Not sure. Maybe Piazza or Schilling or even Edgar Martinez. I don't know/can't remember which ones have taken PEDs outside of the big names.

They are going to have to consider some kind of Hall of Shame for players that would have been no brainers had they not taken steroids. Or would they have been pedestrian players? Perhaps some but players like Bonds and Clemens would have been in the Hall had they stopped 5 years earlier and not taken PEDs.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

kingfish 17990 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-05-15, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
LAST EDITED ON 01-06-15 AT 11:28 AM (EST)

Voters aren't restricted in any way as to for whom they vote, each vote is at the sole discretion of each voter. But the exclusion of players that used PEDs seems to be a general consensus rule, and a good one, IMO.

But that being said, if a player has been tried in a court of law and declared not-guilty, and in addition has never admitted to illegal PED use, he should not be assumed to have used PEDS. I'm thinking Clemens here. Also, being an arrogant a'hole (which he was, and probably still is) shouldn’t go into the equation either. IMO.

Clemens was one of the top five pitchers in history by some standards (or top 20 by anyone’s standards), has more accomplishments than many great pitchers of any era and, although accused, and was never proven to be a PED user. Admittedly he was a bulked up guy, but he was that way for all of his career, unlike others he didn’t have sudden increase of muscle mass.

Or ability.

He was such a dominate pitcher at the University of Texas that they retired his number (first player to have received that honor there), and in 2004, the Rotary Smith Award, given to America's best college baseball player, was changed to the Roger Clemens Award, honoring the best college baseball pitcher. He was a brilliant pitcher from day one.

Quote from Wikipedia:

”Clemens was one of the most dominant pitchers in major league history, tallying 354 wins, a 3.12 earned run average (ERA), and 4,672 strikeouts, the third-most all time. An 11-time All-Star and two-time World Series champion, he won seven Cy Young Awards during his career, the most of any pitcher in history.”

To exclude this man from the HOF is an injustice, both to him and to the HOF. But it seems that they will. Normally I would think that it would be considered unfair and downright unpatriotic to assume guilt based on unfounded accusations.

Or associations. If associations were sufficient to prove guilt, then one PED user (and there were certainly more than one on most teams) on a team would taint the whole team. And really, all of sports. All of humanity.

Obviously, I don’t know whether he actually used illegal PEDs or not, but at some point, after monumental federal prosecutorial efforts that ended with clean slate of 6 not-guilty verdicts, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt by the sportswriters.

I think he just pissed off too many of those sportswriters. Where were they when the voting on Ty Cobb was happening?

PepeLePew13 25504 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-14, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
Indeed, that's a packed ballot, tough decisions to make.

Will get in this year:
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
John Smoltz

Would have gotten in almost any other year, but deserving of being in:
Mike Piazza
Jeff Kent
Craig Biggio

Guys I'd like to see in the HOF:
Larry Walker
Edgar Martinez
Jeff Bagwell
Tim Raines

***BALLOT CUT OFF***

On the bubble:
Curt Schilling
Mike Mussina
Carlos Delgado
Nomar Garciaparra (injuries ruined a great career but he's still got some nice numbers for a SS)
Fred McGriff

Need to fire their pharmacists (i.e. not on my ballot until proven innocent):
Gary Sheffield
Barry Bonds
Sammy Sosa
Mark McGwire
Roger Clemens

Estee 57015 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-14, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
Buster Olney had an article on ESPN today where he tried to explain why he felt his best chance of getting people into the Hall was to completely abstain from casting his ballot.

I pretty much gave up on the process right there.

AyaK 10337 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-15, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
Back again. My votes haven't changed much from last year, which tied a record by having 3 elected -- but left so many more still to elect. I'm hoping for 5 this year, but who knows?

Holdovers: Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Edgar Martinez, Mike Piazza, Tim Raines, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker

New Candidates: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz

Borderline, but just missing: Melonhead (Barry Bonds), Curt Schilling, and even The Big Cheat (Roger Clemens). I've never been sold on Mike Mussina, and I'm still not, because I just didn't expect to lose when he pitched against my team, even when my team was Cleveland. I'm also not sold on Gary Sheffield, who was a great hitter but a total butcher in the field -- too bad he played most of his best years in the league without a DH. And Nomar -- no way.

01-06-15, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: MLB Hall of Fame ballot 2015"
LAST EDITED ON 01-06-15 AT 01:22 PM (EST)

Seems to be a good place to put this as any... this kid is already looking like a Hall of Famer for batting practice displays! He's already the same size as his dad now at age 15 (6'3", 230 lb) and he's got the same body type, same swing mechanics and same hair.

60 swings, 33 HRs in front of a crowd of 500 people and 30+ MLB scouts. Bidding is going to be insanely heavy for him at next year's international amateur free agency signing period.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr., ladies and gentlemen. Might we see him on the HOF ballot around the year 2045?

01-06-15, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "The class of 2015"
Craig Biggio
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
John Smoltz

01-06-15, 03:05 PM (EST)
8. "Gil Hodges, Part II."
If I was Mike Piazza, I would withdraw my name from consideration right now. Permanently. "You're going to damn me forever based on rumor. I can't stop that. But I don't have to stick around for it either. Enjoy your silent judgment: I'm going to go enjoy the rest of my life."

But he won't.

And at this point, I feel he'll never get in.

AyaK 10337 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-15, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "He'll make it"
He may even make it next year. There seems to me to be one surefire first-year candidate, Ken Griffey Jr,. and one other strong first-year candidate, Trevor Hoffman.

I think a lot of the BBWAA "old guard" that felt comfortable electing one, or none, are leaving the field or dying. So next year may be his best chance, especially since the candidacies of Bonds and Clemens are gaining traction even despite their steroid links.

Here were this year's losers, after Biggio and the three pitchers made it (which, BTW, clears four spaces on my ballot):

Mike Piazza 384 (69.9) 3
Jeff Bagwell 306 (55.7) 5
Tim Raines 302 (55) 8
Curt Schilling 215 (39.2) 3
Roger Clemens206 (37.5) 3
Barry Bonds 202 (36.8) 3
Lee Smith 166 (30.2) 13
Edgar Martinez 148 (27) 6
Alan Trammell 138 (25.1) 14
Mike Mussina 135 (24.6) 2
Jeff Kent 77 (14) 2
Fred McGriff 71 (12.9) 9
Larry Walker 65 (11.8) 5
Gary Sheffield 64 (11.7) 1
Mark McGwire 55 (10) 9
Don Mattingly 50 (9.1) 15
Sammy Sosa 36 (6.6) 3
Nomar Garciaparra 30 (5.5) 1

Next year's ballot for me:

Carryovers: Jeff Bagwell, Edgar Martinez, Mike Piazza, Tim Raines, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker.

New: Ken Greffey Jr., Trevor Hoffman.

Previously not supported: Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling.

So, yes, I'm going to vote for my first steroid poster boy next year.

01-06-15, 08:38 PM (EST)
11. "RE: He'll make it"
*glances at the 2016 list*

That's going to be a really bloated list, larger number of newbies than usual - and there's going to be a lot of one-and-dones.

New for 2016:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman
Billy Wagner
Jim Edmonds
Jason Kendall
Troy Glaus
Mike Hampton
Garret Anderson
Jeff Weaver
Mike Lowell
Brad Ausmus
Bengie Molina
Mike Sweeney
Fernando Tatis (at least he'll have the record of two grand slams in one inning to take with him)
Jose Guillen
Gary Matthews Jr.
Russ Ortiz
Cristian Guzman
Bob Howry
Luis Castillo
Randy Winn
Mark Grudzielanek
David Eckstein
Chan Ho Park
Russ Springer

Of that list, only Griffey is a first-ballot lock, and there are only two others that I see as eventual Hall of Famers -- Trevor Hoffman and Billy Wagner. Hoffman could get in on the first ballot or he could last three or four votes, depending on the mood of the voters towards closers and/or agendas amongst the voters to get the guys who have already been on the ballot in first (Piazza, Raines, Martinez, Bagwell, Schilling, Mussina, Trammell, Walker, etc.).

Wagner would be an interesting case to watch. Best strikeout per 9 innings ratio (11.92!) in history with at least 900 innings pitched and he's also got the lowest hits per 9 innings ratio as well. Only Mariano Rivera has a lower career ERA in the live-ball era.

Molaholic 8938 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-15, 08:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: He'll make it"
FWIW - I was at that Tatis game at Dodger Stadium. Chan Ho Park on the mount for both grannies -- in the first inning. Not much to remember after.

kingfish 17990 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-15, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "My ballot"
LAST EDITED ON 01-06-15 AT 04:13 PM (EST)

And I'm sending it in right after the letter declaring myself a sportswriter. Ok, I'm crashing the party. I've done it before. And who knows how close they check credentials.

This is a list of who I think should make it in, not who I think will.

Jeff Bagwell (in spite of the fact that bulky old muscle bound Jeff probably did PEDs. And he had an all time great batting stance).

Craig Biggio (great offense, great catcher, played three positions with varying sucess, long career)

Roger Clemens (Maybe the best pitcher of all time).

Randy Johnson(obvious)

Jeff Kent

Edgar Martínez

Pedro Martínez (obvious)

Mark McGwire (He said he was sorry. And it was legal when he did that steroid cream, so he wasn't cheating. We shouldn't retroactivly apply our standards).

Mike Piazza (obvious, IMO)

Tim Raines (come on, this guy defined base stealing)

John Smoltz (obvious)

(Maybe they won't notice that I have 11 on my list).

Cap2 Patched me

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •