The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 56037 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-29-13, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
I know we have a host of 'why is this important?' responses lurking in wait here, so let's get to the reason they'll need to ignore. He's the first active male athlete to declare his sexuality. All the others came out after they were finished playing. So this is going to be the first immediate test of just how homophobic the NBA is -- when many of the players emerge from a culture where telling someone their actions are gay is the ultimate insult.

Or it would be. But Jason is a free agent this offseason: 34, an aging center from the Wizards. Is every team going to use that as an excuse to not sign him? Possibly not. But couple it with this announcement, and...

Silent collusion would not surprise me. And if he's still playing in November, nor would the world's hardest flagrant fouls. Which doesn't even begin to cover the fan reactions as he travels to red states and -- let's not leave this out -- Charlotte.

What's the other direct line to Jackie Robinson? The possibility of having status as The First turn into record as The First Victim.

Good luck, Jason. Throw punches back.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... Starshine 04-29-13 1
 The SI article. Estee 04-29-13 2
   RE: The SI article. Snidget 04-30-13 4
       RE: The SI article. Estee 04-30-13 6
           RE: The SI article. Snidget 04-30-13 7
 RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... kidflash212 04-29-13 3
   RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... Estee 04-30-13 5
 And the fall out ripples Snidget 05-01-13 8
   RE: And the fall out ripples Estee 05-01-13 9
 Podcast interview. Estee 05-01-13 10
   RE: Podcast interview. cahaya 05-01-13 12
       RE: Podcast interview. Estee 05-01-13 13
           RE: Podcast interview. PepeLePew13 05-01-13 15
               RE: Podcast interview. Estee 05-01-13 16
 RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... aethelstan 05-01-13 11
   RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... Estee 05-01-13 14
 RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... byoffer 05-01-13 17
   RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... kingfish 05-02-13 18
       RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... Estee 05-02-13 19
           RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... kingfish 05-03-13 20
               RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... AyaK 05-03-13 21
                   RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... Estee 05-03-13 22
                   RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) co... kingfish 05-06-13 23
 Still unsigned. Estee 08-14-13 24
 Signed: Brooklyn. Estee 02-23-14 25
   RE: Signed: Brooklyn. PepeLePew13 02-23-14 26
       RE: Signed: Brooklyn. Estee 02-24-14 27
           RE: Signed: Brooklyn. kingfish 02-25-14 28
               RE: Signed: Brooklyn. Estee 02-25-14 29
                   RE: Signed: Brooklyn. kingfish 02-26-14 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-13, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
The BBC had an interview with John Amaechi who said that while he was playing the players were fine, it was the administrators that were the problem.

Personally I think it more likely that opposing fans will be the issue, generally they aren't known for their subtlety.

"Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams..."
- Kilmarnock fans to the Rangers keeper after he had been diagnosed with mild schizophrenia.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

04-29-13, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "The SI article."
Note: this is first-person. He wrote it himself.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2Rrh8O559

The commentary section has been thankfully locked. The ugliness there was predictable.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-13, 06:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The SI article."
Saw some on my facebook newsfeed.

Apparently it is why he was only an average elite athlete.

Also apparently no one cares if you are gay as long as you stay firmly in the closet and never ever tell anyone about it. Or at least only tell people once you decide you are never setting foot in a gym or playing a sport ever again.

And apparently this now gives him license to behave inappropriately in the locker room. Because we know men generally don't compare body parts, show them off to intimidate others, or do anything else inappropriate in a locker room.

04-30-13, 12:11 PM (EST)
6. "RE: The SI article."
I did add Alphonso Smith and Mike Wallace to my personal boo list, so this at least brought some more of the jerks out of their own closets. Thanks for the helpful hints, guys! And here we have Chris Broussard of ESPN, who feels (among other things, all said on the air) you can't be openly gay and a true Christian because you're automatically and forever an unrepentant sinner. And he also said Jason was in, and I quote, "open rebellion to God." I wonder if he can be openly hateful and employed. Probably -- ESPN's apology wasn't exactly glowing with shame and they just hired Ray Lewis, so their rep is hardly spotless to begin with -- but we all know what he is now too. Let the discrimination begin. Sorry, Chris: your deity loves you, but a lot of other people are going to spit in your face.

(He has since tried to 'clarify' his comments. Too late, bigot. And he said all this in front of LZ Granderson. Honestly, it just keeps getting funnier.)

I found the list of NBA players who tweeted their support to be an interesting one -- as well as who hadn't. (Broussard claims many are on his side. Naturally, he gave no names. What, no martyr creation?) Silence doesn't mean lack of acceptance for every occasion, but the names who have yet to speak may include a few who kept quiet because they knew anything said would create more articles than the original announcement.

Incidentally, given Jason's journeyman status, he's shared a lot of locker rooms. As he put it, this is Three Degrees Of Jason Collins: no one in the NBA can now claim they don't know any gay males.

Some of them are probably still trying.

04-30-13, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The SI article."
Nearly called the morning show...while they were generally more on the supportive side there was a "why make a deal out of it". Because as straight people they don't introduce themselves by who they are sleeping with at the start pf every conversation.

Most gay people don't start every conversation with Hey, I'm GA-AY!, either. But usually at some point if they want to be out they are going to have to fill people in to avoid even more awkwardness later. I don't think he's going to write a letter to SI every week to make sure we still know he is gay, still, again.

Also the main male co-host is quite well known for being married, and having very little sexy time issues with his wife. The main female co-host is well known for finally dating a decent guy and they do endless song parodies about her wanting/waiting for a ring.

So I don't think either of them quite understand the I can never tell anyone anything about my loved one, and if we are both in the same place at the same time we have to act like we hardly know each other lest anyone get suspicious.

kidflash212 4010 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-29-13, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
Good for him, but I don't see this as the watershed event some want to portray it as. He has a 50/50 shot at best of actually playing in the NBA next season. He is at the end of an average to below average career. This is not akin to Jackie Robinson.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

04-30-13, 11:35 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-13 AT 11:39 AM (EST)

ESPN called fourteen NBA teams (all anonymous) and eight of them said they wouldn't consider him due to his decreased stats and the general idea that he's near or at the end of the road. The other six think he has something left in the tank plus he's one of those people whose personality helps cement a team: a natural leader.

One team did say his revelation would have to be considered and discussed internally, but that was the extent of the comment and could have meant anything from 'How many homophobic fans do we have?' through 'We have Chick Fill-A as a sponsor: any questions?'

And yes, this would have been a bigger impact if it came from a star in the prime of his career. LeBron James writes this article and the Internet explodes twice. But someone had to be first. His hand is the one which went up.

05-01-13, 11:29 AM (EST)
8. "And the fall out ripples"
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/church-cancels-leroy-butlers-speech-after-he-backs-gay-nba-player-rq9pjrt-205580231.html

So Leroy Butler was going to give an anti-bullying speech to a church.

But he tweeted some support to Jason.

And the church chooses to bully him with an ultimatum. Either retract the tweet and beg for our God's forgiveness or we won't let you come tell us about how people shouldn't bully others.

o_0

05-01-13, 12:14 PM (EST)
9. "RE: And the fall out ripples"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-13 AT 02:19 PM (EST)

I'm just surprised they'd have an anti-bully speech in the first place. There's a lot of churches fighting those laws because it takes away open freedom to attack. (Remember, without First protection, many religious institutions would be reclassified as hate groups.) The Bible says you have to despise them with every breath, so how can the laws of man block that?

But don't worry about their open speaking slot. Chris Broussard should be available.

05-01-13, 12:35 PM (EST)
10. "Podcast interview."
Please note that if you listen to this, you are in open rebellion against the Christian deity and will be tortured in the afterlife for all eternity.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/60387/b-s-report-jason-collins

cahaya 19104 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-13, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Podcast interview."
What are the odds? Given the national GLBT population, surely there are more guys and gals in pro sports still playing under the gaydar.

05-01-13, 02:45 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Podcast interview."
There's a persistent rumor claiming four or five NFL players were thinking of coming out together in order to spread out the backlash. Also the targeting, as it's got to be a little scary to emerge into a league where people can generally get away with trying to kill you.

Actually, basketball may be the sport with the highest chance of survival. Hockey: puck to the face. Football: helmet to the spine. Baseball: fastball to the skull. At least with hoops, it's generally just body parts flying.

PepeLePew13 25033 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-13, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Podcast interview."
>At least with hoops, it's generally just body parts flying.

I see you've never been elbowed by Bill Laimbeer.

05-01-13, 04:41 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Podcast interview."
Or punched by Kermit Washington.

aethelstan 4383 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-01-13, 01:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
I applaud him for his courage and will applaud even harder if a team hires him knowing that he is gay. That would make quite the statement.
Of course, I hope that we soon get to a point where this is a non-story in the sense that everyone thinks it's no big deal if there are players who are gay on their team.

05-01-13, 02:48 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
I think one NBA GM is gay, but I don't recall which team. Warriors, maybe... *checks* ...no, Suns: Rick Welts, team president.

Well, that would get screams of 'collusion' from another angle. Also 'conspiracy'. I'd hope it wasn't Phoenix who signed him, but that's just because I'd want him to have a halfway-friendly home court. That particular state is heading towards infrared.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-13, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
I would like to say "so what", but society isn't there yet so this is a big deal.

Now will he get another job? I think that he is an aging centre and not a star will have more bearing (sp?) than his coming out. Heck, teams seemed to be willing to take a chance on Michael Vick after he came out (of prison ). Maybe a team who is on the fence about his ability will actually take a chance on him to try to get the positive media. (sort of like buying carbon footprint points)

kingfish 16844 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-13, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
I agree. Sort of. (There, how about that for a stand?)

With the competition the way it is, there will be a team who will sign him if he wants to play and can physically hold his own. And he's been in the league a while, so I imagine he is no stranger to low blows and errant elbows, even without any homophobic hostility.

He isn't as superior to his fellow athletes as Jackie was, but the same motivation that guided Robinson’s entry into baseball will decide what happens to him. (Or did anyone actually think that it was civil rights related altruism that ultimately motivated Branch Rickey?) And that is, “does an owner think he can help them win and make more money?”

(And the memory of Kermit Washington and Rudy Tomjanovich! That was as bad as it gets, even considering the occasional compound fracture and testicular obliteration. Kermit should still be rotting jail for that assault).

05-02-13, 02:36 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
The fact that Kermit threw The Single Most Perfect Punch In Video-Recorded Human History does not entitle him to triple the assault sentence. (Regardless of how you feel about the man and his action, you have to admit that fracturing someone's skull in such a way as to detach the front -- with one bare-handed impact -- is a pretty impressive feat.) Besides, he's paid for it. He's still paying for it every day.

Back to Jason... at this point in his career, his main skill is the ability to rally a locker room. (Journeyman, but teams have fought not to trade him: he's too good for morale.) He's got some center court presence left and can give you something off the bench. His brother was the master flop artist of their generation and some of that talent carried over. The problem is that you can find most of the assembly dribbling around D-League available on a ten-day. As I see it, it's mainly going to be about his leadership skills -- which gets back to how homophobic the league may truly be -- and how much a team wants that publicity boost from signing him. Some markets would do better than others. I'd hate to see him land in Utah and as said above, Charlotte would be a nightmare.

I think he'll have a place on a team next season. But I'm not sure.

05-03-13, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
LAST EDITED ON 05-03-13 AT 08:34 AM (EST)

Minor change: ”Single Most Perfect Sucker Punch”.

From an aesthetic point of view, that punch was a thing of beauty. One might say, the perfect punch.

But it was also an over the top, purposeful, and probably premeditated (by a few moments, at least) assault by one of the most intimidating characters in the game at the time (Rudy was also not a small man, a center I think (?), and not unused to getting physical in a game). He and Kermit have shaken hands, for the press at least, but there are a lot of Rocket fans that would still not be unhappy to see Kermit suffer eye for an eye (substitute for that what you will) retribution.

I think I agree point by point about Jason. Except, after watching several seasons of D-league ball as season ticket holder, that talent pool isn’t that deep. I think that inspite of his lesser by comparison skills, that Jason will not face the overt wide spread hatred that Robinson saw. That's pretty obvious, but it does show that society does progress, albeit in a longer time frame that we would like.

AyaK 10309 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-13, 07:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
LAST EDITED ON 05-03-13 AT 07:38 PM (EST)

I'm going to leave Kermit and Rudy alone and focus on Jason Collins for the moment.

Why is this a big deal? This isn't a young upstart like Jackie Robinson -- most of the players in the NBA know and like Jason Collins. If you wanted to pick the most perfect person to come out, the person who would inspire the least backlash for so doing, Collins -- from Harvard-Westlake HS (the rich private school) in LA and Stanford U., who was engaged to a WNBA pro (and Stanford classmate) for years -- would be the #1 choice from central casting.

Despite Estee's raves, this is nothing more than a dog and pony show. There isn't a place in the NBA where Collins wouldn't be welcomed by his teammates or the fans -- including Utah, where his twin brother Jarron played for almost a decade -- despite his declining skills.

Had this been, say, LeBron, the reaction might be very different. But Jason Collins is so vanilla that even Jarron didn't know about Jason's sexuality until this announcement.

05-03-13, 07:55 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
LAST EDITED ON 05-03-13 AT 08:09 PM (EST)

No, this is a dog and pony show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9I_04itSkU

(I am not whining: I am complaining. Do you want to hear whining?)

He will not be welcomed by all of his teammates or all of the fans, and some places will be worse than others. As the saying goes, if you're holding out for universal acceptance, please stand by -- forever. He may have less difficulty than some and I'm not sure how anyone feels about 'vanilla' here, but the backlash will show up -- somewhere. Possibly the upper deck, or at least upper management.

I don't know about #1 choice from central casting. Central Casting would have liked to get an All-Star. In fact, Central Casting would like Michael Jordan to be using his second wedding as A Great Big Bearded Lie. And then go back to playing. Tomorrow. Surely the Bulls have an exemption for just such an occasion.

Regardless, Jason is The First. And The First terrifies people -- every time. Because unless they find a way to stop it, The First is followed by The Second -- and beyond.

Jackie Robinson is an exception. Larry Doby is a trend.

05-06-13, 09:06 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Jason Collins (NBA, Wizards) comes out."
I ordered the book "One Punch.." by John Feinstein, a supposedly comprehensive account of the event.

08-14-13, 10:57 AM (EST)
24. "Still unsigned."
Depending on who you listen to, the Pistons are interested, aren't, or have been changing their minds every day. But to date, no one has slid a contract across a desk.

Detroit... now that would be rough.

02-23-14, 02:09 PM (EST)
25. "Signed: Brooklyn."
I heard it would have been Phoenix, but someone had a faith-based objection to letting him hold a pen.

On a related note, I am watching to see what happens with Michael Sams in the NFL draft. And I would not be surprised to see him drafted by a homophobic GM in a red-state market -- with the purpose of breaking him.

PepeLePew13 25033 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-14, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Signed: Brooklyn."
It's about time. And three years from now, people will be saying, "what was all the fuss about?"

I just hope that Sam doesn't go to the Dolphins, at least under the current coaching/ownership.

02-24-14, 09:36 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Signed: Brooklyn."
Assuming Jack Burkman can't line up enough votes behind his demand to define morality for the NFL.

Google it if you want to. I got sick enough reading the thing: I'm not linking to the manure pile.

02-25-14, 10:08 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Signed: Brooklyn."
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-14 AT 10:18 AM (EST)

OK. Fine. Granted, there is terrible discrimination against multi-million dollar gay men in pro sports.

Women too, I'm sure.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/photo/texas-woman-tackles-boundaries-pro-football-team-n37671

(Not implying that this woman is or isn't gay, just that this is another area for discrimination)

No argument, it isn't just, it shouldn't be allowed, and we should rail against it as long as and anywhere it exists.

But if you really want a mega-dung heap to explore,

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/world/africa/uganda-anti-gay-law/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

I know that this is a Sports Forum, so I should stick to the subject.

But...

I hope that being gay in Uganda is a good enough reason for the granting of asylum into the US and Canada. And other places of refuge.

And that brings up the only possible good that might come from those laws, which is that certain evangelicals (among others) might leave and migrate to Uganda.

02-25-14, 11:00 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Signed: Brooklyn."
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-14 AT 11:04 AM (EST)

There's been Uganda discussion in OT all along, including details on how U.S. evangelicals partially funded and wrote the law in the first place -- because they'd given up on getting it passed in the States and really wanted a truly Christian country on the private map. I'd add a dark note on how TPers are no doubt writing statutes to prevent such rescue immigration, but I don't think they have to. Trying to leave Uganda is probably a crime in itself.

CNN has an interview with Uganda's president. I will not watch it.

As for getting rid of our fundies, they're more likely to move into Russia, which allows you to legally fire someone if they practice a faith you don't like.

Also, more white people.

Sports is important in these matters because sports is how people root for those different than they. Hate the skin color, hate the faith, hate everything and everyone who isn't just like you -- but you still want the Dodgers to win. The most hardcore leave their team behind. For the rest, it's a first step.

And thus the perpetual attempts to slam doors before any opening can be stepped through.

Back on topic... apparently Mr. Sams didn't do too well at the combine yesterday. Clowney did, but no one knows if he cares to keep it up. And one prospect left early because according to him, his deity told him that if he departed, he would get picked by the Seahawks.

Very specific deity he's got there.

02-26-14, 05:56 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Signed: Brooklyn."
More white people?

I hate white people.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •