The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NHL Playoffs 2013 - Round 1 discussion thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-01-13, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NHL Playoffs 2013 - Round 1 discussion thread"
See series specific sub-threads below.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 East - #1 Pitt vs #8 NYI byoffer 05-01-13 1
   Game 1 - Pitt wins 5-0 byoffer 05-01-13 14
   Games 2 and : split AyaK 05-06-13 38
   Game 3 - Pitt, and Game 4 NYI byoffer 05-07-13 48
       RE: Game 3 - Pitt, and Game 4 NYI aethelstan 05-08-13 50
   Game 5: Pitt wins 4-0 AyaK 05-10-13 63
 East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa byoffer 05-01-13 2
   RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa Max Headroom 05-01-13 12
   RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa PepeLePew13 05-02-13 15
       RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa byoffer 05-02-13 17
           RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa PepeLePew13 05-03-13 19
               RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa aethelstan 05-03-13 20
                   RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa PepeLePew13 05-03-13 22
                       RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa aethelstan 05-03-13 24
                           RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa HobbsofMI 05-03-13 25
                           RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa PepeLePew13 05-03-13 26
                               RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa aethelstan 05-03-13 27
               RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa aethelstan 05-03-13 23
   Game 3 - all Ottawa byoffer 05-05-13 28
       RE: Game 3 - all Ottawa aethelstan 05-05-13 29
           RE: Game 3 - all Ottawa aethelstan 05-06-13 39
               RE: Game 3 - all Ottawa AyaK 05-07-13 44
       6-1! AyaK 05-06-13 36
   Game 4 - Ottawa wins in OT... byoffer 05-07-13 47
       RE: Game 4 - Ottawa wins in OT... aethelstan 05-08-13 49
   Sens win the series 4-1! aethelstan 05-09-13 60
       RE: Sens win the series 4-1! byoffer 05-10-13 62
           RE: Sens win the series 4-1! AyaK 05-10-13 64
           RE: Sens win the series 4-1! aethelstan 05-11-13 65
 East - #3 Washington vs #5 NY Range... byoffer 05-01-13 3
   Games 1 and 2: Washington wins 3-1,... AyaK 05-06-13 35
   Game 3: NYR wins 4-3 AyaK 05-07-13 45
   Game 4: NYR wins 4-3 AyaK 05-09-13 54
   Washington lays an egg; Rangers win... aethelstan 05-14-13 70
   Game 7: NYR blow out Wash, 5-0 AyaK 05-14-13 71
 East - #4 Boston vs #5 Toronto byoffer 05-01-13 4
   Game 1 - Boston wins 4-1 byoffer 05-01-13 13
   Game 2: Toronto wins 4-2 AyaK 05-06-13 30
   Game 3 - Boston wins 5-2 byoffer 05-06-13 41
   Game 4 - Boston wins in OT byoffer 05-08-13 53
       4-3 in OT AyaK 05-09-13 55
   Game 7 - and OT - and... byoffer 05-13-13 67
       RE: Game 7 - and OT - and... PepeLePew13 05-13-13 68
       RE: Game 7 - and OT - and... aethelstan 05-14-13 69
           RE: Game 7 - and OT - and... AyaK 05-14-13 73
       RE: Game 7 - and OT - and... HobbsofMI 05-14-13 72
 West - #1 Chicago vs #8 Minnesota byoffer 05-01-13 5
   game 1 - Chicago wins 2-1 in OT byoffer 05-01-13 9
   Game 2: Chicago wins 2-1 AyaK 05-06-13 33
   Game 3: Minnesota wins, 3-2 AyaK 05-06-13 34
   RE: West - #1 Chicago vs #8 Minneso... aethelstan 05-08-13 52
   Chicago wins easily aethelstan 05-10-13 61
 West - #2 Anaheim vs #7 Detroit byoffer 05-01-13 6
   game 1 - Anaheim wins 3-1 byoffer 05-01-13 11
       RE: game 2 - Detroit 5 Anaheim 4 in... HobbsofMI 05-03-13 21
   Game 3: Anaheim wins 4-0 AyaK 05-06-13 32
   Game 4 - Detroit wins in OT byoffer 05-06-13 42
   Game 5: Anaheim wins 3-2 in OT AyaK 05-09-13 56
       RE: Game 5: Anaheim wins 3-2 in OT HobbsofMI 05-09-13 59
   Game 6 Det 4 Ducks 3 OT and Game 7 ... HobbsofMI 05-13-13 66
 West - #3 Vancouver vs #6 San Jose byoffer 05-01-13 7
   Game 1: San Jose wins 3-1 AyaK 05-02-13 16
       RE: Game 1: San Jose wins 3-1 byoffer 05-02-13 18
   Games 2 and 3: San Jose wins 3-2, 5... AyaK 05-06-13 31
       RE: Games 2 and 3: San Jose wins 3-... aethelstan 05-06-13 40
   Hockey Pizza Night in Canada Max Headroom 05-07-13 43
   RE: West - #3 Vancouver vs #6 San J... aethelstan 05-08-13 51
       Love the broom AyaK 05-09-13 57
 West - #4 St. Louis vs #5 LA byoffer 05-01-13 8
   game 1 - St. Louis wins 2-1 in OT byoffer 05-01-13 10
   Games 2 and 3: split AyaK 05-06-13 37
   Game 4: LA wins, 4-3 AyaK 05-07-13 46
   Game 5: LA wins 3-2 in OT AyaK 05-09-13 58

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-01-13, 07:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "East - #1 Pitt vs #8 NYI"

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

05-01-13, 11:48 PM (EST)
14. "Game 1 - Pitt wins 5-0"
Crosby did not play. I wonder if the series is 3-0 if he will play in game 4 to get some game time for the next series?

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-13, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "Games 2 and : split"
The Isles win Game 2 4-2 despite Crosby's return; the Pens win Game 3 5-4 in OT. Too bad no one was watching Game 3, which was decided on a Pitt OT power play.

05-07-13, 11:16 PM (EST)
48. "Game 3 - Pitt, and Game 4 NYI"
Series tied 2-2. Someone forgot to tell the Islanders that Pittsburgh is supposed to dominate.

I haven't watched the Islanders much, but the little I saw tonight had me impressed with John Tavares. Strong skater and good with the puck. On a better team he might be a star in this league.

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-08-13, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: Game 3 - Pitt, and Game 4 NYI"
I'd say he is a star in the league. Hasn't he been in the top 10 in scoring each of the past 2 seasons? With a better team, he'd be rivaling Stamkos, Crosby and Ovechkin for scoring titles and being the face of the NHL but that may be what you mean.

05-10-13, 12:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
63. "Game 5: Pitt wins 4-0"
Tomas Vokoun, Pens backup goalie, comes off the bench for his first post-season appearance in SIX YEARS and does what Cory Schneider couldn't: win. Convincingly, too.

05-01-13, 07:07 PM (EST)
2. "East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
An all-Canadian affair.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-13, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
Do you have to speak French to watch this series?

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-13, 04:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
>An all-Canadian affair.

Correction: An all-Canadien affair.

05-02-13, 09:52 PM (EST)
17. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
I hope so, but with 2 mins left in game 1 someone forgot to tell Ottawa that.

Damn, I failed to remember that Anderson was the best goalie in the league this season. Montreal is playing well, but losing 4-2.

05-03-13, 06:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
It'll get better... Habs had 50 shots on goal (!) and dominated the game, so if they can keep doing that, they'll break through the Wall of Anderson. Plus Ottawa will likely be down a player after that hit on Eller - don't think there was an intent to injure but Gryba did leave his feet to make the hit and Shanahan has suspended for that kind of hit before.

05-03-13, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
First off, I hate to see injuries like that happen in hockey and I hope Lars Eller can make a full and speedy recovery.

I just looked at the replay and hit right skate stays on the ice the whole time (at least the toe does). Most of these 'leaving the ice' issues are way more obvious.

What we have here, as I see it is not a suspendable hit with the current set of rules. If Diaz is going to make a suicide pass like that that is going to force Eller to stretch forward with his head lower than usual, then the head is going to be hit first (and even at that Kerry Fraser apparently has frame by frame video showing that hip and torso hit body before the head is hit.) The danger with suspending Gryba for that hit is that it is setting a precedent that offensive players can play with their heads down the whole game and no one will be able to touch them because they are worried about a head hit. It's the same with some of the hits from behind we've seen where a player, about to get a check along the boards, turns his back to the guy doing the check just to draw the penalty. At some point, the (team of the) recipient of the hit must taken certain precautions to protect themselves and not put themselves in a vulnerable position.

More than that, it looks like Gryba was gliding towards the play when he saw the pass about to be made and only had to take a couple of strides to make the hit so it isn't the situation where someone starts to run someone from half-way across the ice (like Downie on Macammond, iirc). Most of the speed in that collision was supplied by Eller who was in 'breaking out the zone' mode. It also wasn't late a la Rome on the Boston player from a few years ago.

I don't have a problem if the NHL wants to send this kind of play to the rules committee and see if they can come up with a recommendation of what the defenseman is supposed to do there. Just letting the opponent skate past you with speed isn't really an option.

Btw, do you know what the possession stats were? I'm sure they were in Montreal's favour given their time on the power play but what about at even strength? Have you ever read any of Travis Yost's blogs? He uses advanced statistics the way Bill James would in baseball, it's quite fascinating.

The PK vs. EK battle is quite interesting, essentially the two best skaters on their teams. I have a feeling this decade will be the Montreal-Ottawa decade whereas early last decade it was the Toronto-Ottawa decade (quinquennial, perhaps?)

All in all, this is a tough series for me as they are my two favourite teams and would rather they not face each other ... yet - conference finals is ok.

05-03-13, 04:18 PM (EST)
22. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
Two games.

Gryba got more than I thought he'd get (one game) ... I do believe there was no intent to injure and that he made a hockey play to take out a guy. Still, while Diaz gets part of the blame for the leading pass and leaving Eller in a vulnerable position, Gryba could still easily have taken the body hit instead of the head hit. Gryba still made a forceful move into Eller when he could still have knocked him down by standing his ground to take the body. It's what I was taught to do in the OHL as a checker - take the body while redirecting the puck instead of going for the big hit because we have a better chance of regaining possession that way.

05-03-13, 04:26 PM (EST)
24. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
I disagree that this is a 'head hit'. What Ference did (and only got one game for) is a head hit. This is a hit where the head was hit but most of the contact is body on body. Gryba did pretty much what the NHL asks: he was in a north-south direction, his skates were on the ice as he's getting ready to hit, he is in a crouch, his elbow is tucked in and Eller had the puck. I think maybe Gryba could have yelled as a warning perhaps but if Eller doesn't turn his head around to receive the pass... Anyway. I'm sure we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I really, really don't see how this is worse in intent or play than Ference's hit. It's mainly just worse in result. Gryba wasn't even going that fast. If it were Scott Stevens, Eller would be even worse off. Look up the hit that Umberger got back in '05 or so by a guy whose name starts with a C I think?. Almost the same thing and that hit is actually on the Hockey Night in Canada 2013 playoff package where they show all the old and new players playing playoff hockey. It's at the 2:11 mark.

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-13, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
Next time just spin the wheel cause Shanny does: http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

05-03-13, 04:50 PM (EST)
26. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
Yeah that was Brian Campbell who gave birth to a new adjective, "Umbergered" back in around 2006. That's clearly a hit to the head as well as you could see Umberger's head snap back upon impact.

Bottom line, hits to the head that were deemed acceptable back in the old days aren't acceptable today and it's just a matter of time before someone is killed by such a hit when the first point of contact is the head and players are getting bigger and faster.

05-03-13, 05:14 PM (EST)
27. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
So I should instruct my players that when they expect to be checked to lead their head a little so that the head is hit just before the rest of the body is hit in an effort to get the other team's guy ejected. Umberger in the video looked like he had just received a pass and was skating with his head around Campbell's chest level. What's Campbell supposed to do? Low bridge him so that he blows out his knee?

As I said to others in my office, I'm fine if they choose to eliminate head contact from the game. I don't think they have made it a mandate like in the OHL "all head contact = penalty/suspension" yet so from that view point it seems they could be seen as evaluating the hit from a future rule point of view.

My guess is they called it a blind-side hit since it is rule 48 that they were talking about. But if I'm skating forward and I turn my head back to receive a pass, aren't I asking for it? Ok. so no one asks for this. obviously. but I think that players have some responsibility to protect themselves/not put themselves in vulnerable positions. What the league is saying here is 'go ahead and skate with your head down, after you get hurt, we'll make sure the other guy gets a couple of games".

Actually, I'm fine that there is a suspension. I think suspension have become yet again silly (they won't give more than 5 games because of the arbirator rule in the CBA) but I completely think that suspensions should be more frequent so that no one thinks of them as 'OMG - a suspension - my world is ending'. Hell, it's often 1 or 2 games out of 82, what's the big deal? Give them out, be consistent, and you should, hopefully, have a better and cleaner product on the ice.

05-03-13, 04:18 PM (EST)
23. "RE: East - #2 Montreal vs #7 Ottawa"
Well, you were right that there was a suspension - 2 games. I really don't know how much better positioning Gryba could have had. Is he supposed to let the guy passed for a 2-on-1? He planted in a north-south direction and delivered a check that primarily hit the body to someone with the puck.

I think that this suspension was given in an attempt to avoid vigilante retribution tonight. Hopefully with this, both teams can put it behind them but I'm guessing Gryba gets challenged to a fight in game 4. Hopefully, it will be no more than that.

I am still worried that this sends a message to all NHLers that they need to start skating with their heads down because if anyone touches you, it will be head contact and a match penalty.

Of course, the most important thing here is more Eller to have a full and speedy recovery. That said, if he had landed differently on the ice and there is no blood, then were not even having this conversation.

05-05-13, 10:02 PM (EST)
28. "Game 3 - all Ottawa"
Ugh. It hurt that I was around to watch parts of this game, and wore my Habs jersey. I hope Price can shake this one off quickly.

05-05-13, 11:44 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Game 3 - all Ottawa"
So how many games does Bourque get for an obvious elbow to the head? He'd be a repeat offender. Of course, I think Dustin Brown should have got suspended for that attempted elbow and kneeing in game 2 of his series but no blood no foul I guess?

My question is: do the coaches now go to the pre-game and ask "Who wants to lose a tooth tonight?" The three 1st stars of the games for each of the 3 first games each lost a tooth during the game??? I mean, seriously, how unlikely is that??

05-06-13, 02:46 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Game 3 - all Ottawa"
Hmmm. I guess the answer is none. I really don't get it. Either they are trying to eliminate hits to the head or they aren't. Is it all about injury? Should Conacher have stay down on the ice pretending he was injured? Geez, this isn't soccer here. But I really cannot see how Ference's elbow to Grabovski was any worse than Bourque's elbow on Conacher. Anyone?

05-07-13, 10:38 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Game 3 - all Ottawa"
I agree with you that Bourque's action was clearly worse. I don't really care how hard the hit was, the way Bourque's defenders argue, because he AIMED FOR THE HEAD.

Apparently the disciplinary standard is injury, as you note, since what appeared to be a clean play by Gryba resulted in a two-game suspension because Eller was injured. Dumb call, but I never credited Brendan Shanahan with too many brains.

05-06-13, 09:21 AM (EST)
36. "6-1!"
And the bad blood starts to come out, as Montreal instigates a major fight 4 seconds after they go down 4-1 . . . and when the smoke has cleared, 4 seconds of game time after that, they're down 5-1. Naturally, the classless Canadiens start another big fight about 90 seconds later. But it doesn't help either.

05-07-13, 11:14 PM (EST)
47. "Game 4 - Ottawa wins in OT..."
...and I am still swearing.

Montreal played a pretty good game, and IMO deserved to win. The first Ottawa goal was certainly directed in with a skate. They ruled no kicking motion, but he was not just stopping. The skate that hit the puck turned more than the other skate (that was stopping) and did swing a bit.

Nothing more painful than giving up a tying goal with less than 30 seconds in the game and then losing in OT.

05-08-13, 11:34 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Game 4 - Ottawa wins in OT..."
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-13 AT 10:41 AM (EST)

That was the first time I've seen a game where the team I was cheering for pulled their goalie actually scored. I've seen nothing most times and the strategy backfiring any other time.

I'm sure we can find examples of more obvious kicking motion goals being allowed and other opportunistic deflections being disallowed. I'll agree that Zibanejad probably angled his skates just so, but that's legal. Since his skate never left the ice, it's hard to claim a kick. (It's been a topic of discussion in my office this morning so I've seen the replay a lot). You do see a wobble/movement just after the puck hits his skate (which you allude to in your post) but I honestly think that that was because the puck made him lose his stopping edge and he had to dig into the ice again. You can't deny that he was at a complete stop very soon after the puck touched his skate (basically, his foot only traveled a skate length and a half at most after contact).

That said, I'm sure they've allowed and disallowed similar goals before. Maybe it was karma from having a goal called back when Ottawa played Pittsburgh in the first round 3 years ago. It was game 6 and would have given Ottawa a 2 or 3 goal lead in the second? but it deflated the team and they lost the game and the series that night.

Also, I don't think either of these teams is long for the playoffs regardless of who wins this series. Montreal is losing players left, right and centre (and defense and goalie) and Ottawa, it must be said, has been pretty lucky in this series. Montreal already overachieved by not only making the playoffs (they were predicted 12th weren't they?) but by winning the division. In that sense, they are like Ottawa last year and both teams are ahead of the rebuilding curve. It took Toronto 9 years and Calgary and Edmonton are still working on it. I think we're looking at a pretty good next 5 years for both Ottawa and Montreal in the post season. And since they're going to be in the same division next year, along with Detroit, Boston and Toronto, that's saying a lot!

ETF: homophone error.

05-09-13, 10:40 PM (EST)
60. "Sens win the series 4-1!"
Sens win the final game 6-1. I think after the 4th goal, the wind went completely out of Montreal's sails so the score is more lopsided than it should have been. I didn't watch the game as I had too much other stuff to do during the first two periods and then my DW wanted to watch Glee. I was hoping that there would be nothing controversial here but it sounds like Turris' goal was.

Anyhow, I'm very happy (obviously) not only for the series win but that it was quick as I think Karlsson needs the time off to heal. I don't think he's anywhere near where he was pre-injury. He may not be until next season.

I think Montreal has a bright future ahead with guys like Pacioretty, Gallagher and Subban. Let's try to meet in the conference finals... oh rats, that's impossible now, the division finals next year.

05-10-13, 12:03 PM (EST)
62. "RE: Sens win the series 4-1!"
I didn't see all of the games, but my read was that Montreal played better than Ottawa in games 1 and 4 (losses). Did Anderson steal those games?

By game 5, Montreal had nothing left and Ottawa certainly were well-deserving victors. I hope they go all the way now.

As for Karlsson, I think he defies the need for healing!

05-10-13, 12:32 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Sens win the series 4-1!"
Looks like Ottawa will get Pitt in the next round. That should be interesting.

05-11-13, 10:39 PM (EST)
65. "RE: Sens win the series 4-1!"
I didn't see all of the games, but my read was that Montreal played better than Ottawa in games 1 and 4 (losses). Did Anderson steal those games?

I didn't see all the games either but certainly Anderson outplayed Price/Budaj. Also, Montreal outplayed Ottawa in a number of periods of probably each of the games (possibly not games 3 and 5, not sure). However, I think Ottawa outplayed Montreal in each (maybe not game 2) of the third periods, even in game 4 where Ottawa outshot Montreal 13-4. Montreal was very guilty of sitting on its lead. In fact, out of the 40 or so shots directed toward the net that Montreal had in game 4, only 10 were recorded in the second half of the game.
Also, Ottawa outscored Montreal 13-0 in the third and overtime periods. It seemed almost like some of the recent MMA fights I heard about. One guy comes out guns a blazing and dominates the early part of the match but at the end, the other guy takes over and gets the win.

05-01-13, 07:07 PM (EST)
3. "East - #3 Washington vs #5 NY Rangers"

05-06-13, 09:17 AM (EST)
35. "Games 1 and 2: Washington wins 3-1, 1-0 (OT)"
Could be a short stay in the playoffs for the Rangers.

05-07-13, 12:11 PM (EST)
45. "Game 3: NYR wins 4-3"
Rats.

05-09-13, 09:18 AM (EST)
54. "Game 4: NYR wins 4-3"
The only game of the day that didn't go to OT return the series to dead even.

05-14-13, 09:27 AM (EST)
70. "Washington lays an egg; Rangers win game 7"
This may hurt Washington more than Toronto's loss to Boston. Washington has had an awful record in game 7s and this kind of confirms it. Toronto really is a blank slate after nearly 10 years of nothing so they need to look at their loss as a learning experience rather than a confirmation of game 7 ineptitude.

05-14-13, 09:36 AM (EST)
71. "Game 7: NYR blow out Wash, 5-0"
SO the second round is all set:

East:
#1 Pittsburgh v. #7 Ottawa
#4 Boston v. #6 NY Rangers (Original 6!)

West:
#1 Chicago v. #7 Detroit (ANOTHER Original 6!)
#5 LA v. #6 San Jose

Three Original 6 matchups so far, including the first Boston-NYR playoff matchup in 40 years. Only the Canadiens were left out.

05-01-13, 07:08 PM (EST)
4. "East - #4 Boston vs #5 Toronto"
Original 6 match-up (and Leafs first playoffs in 9 years)

05-01-13, 11:46 PM (EST)
13. "Game 1 - Boston wins 4-1"
Toronto fans waited 9 years for that dud?

05-06-13, 09:02 AM (EST)
30. "Game 2: Toronto wins 4-2"
The Kessel acquisition finally starts to pay dividends for Toronto.

05-06-13, 11:54 PM (EST)
41. "Game 3 - Boston wins 5-2"
First home playoff game in Toronto in 9 years, and the Leafs stink early and often. Ah, now that brings back memories. Ballard must be smiling.

05-08-13, 10:29 PM (EST)
53. "Game 4 - Boston wins in OT"
Toronto plays hard, but Dion makes a bad decision in OT and Kreiji (sp?) makes the Leafs pay.

Poor Leafs - they keep following the series pattern that Montreal is laying down!

05-09-13, 09:28 AM (EST)
55. "4-3 in OT"
Here in Boston, they have referred to Dion Phaneuf as a "heart attack" defenseman, because he'll give you a heart attack at both ends of the ice, and he lived up to that designation last night.

It's interesting that the Leafs have almost completely shut down the Bruins' line of Tyler Seguin, Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron but have been getting destroyed by the line of Nathan Horton, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic.

05-13-13, 10:17 PM (EST)
67. "Game 7 - and OT - and..."
... once again they are crying in Toronto.

Leafs lead 4-1 in the 3rd period, but couldn't hold on as Boston scored twice in the final 2 mins to send the game to OT, and Boston score in OT for the series win.

Leafs really had chances to ice it, but in the end Boston's experience seems to have won out.

With Washington getting hammered in the other game 7 tonight, sounds like Bruins and Rangers (another original 6 matchup!) will start Thursday.

05-13-13, 10:27 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Game 7 - and OT - and..."
Oooh, ouch. That's going to leave a mark, especially in a place such as Toronto.

05-14-13, 09:24 AM (EST)
69. "RE: Game 7 - and OT - and..."
Wow. That's really a stunner. As I was putting my kids to bed, I told them it was 3-1 and that it was looking like the Leafs would win and move on. They were shocked with the news this morning!

Speaking of original 6 matchups. With the re-alignment, 4 of the original 6 will be in the same division along with such traditional hockey markets such as South Florida and Tampa Bay. :head whack:

05-14-13, 10:10 AM (EST)
73. "RE: Game 7 - and OT - and..."
I turned it off when Toronto went ahead 4-1.

Then I saw on my iPhone that the Bruins had scored and pulled back to 4-2, but there were only 3 minutes left.

Who ever expects a team to score two goals without giving one up when it's pulled its keeper for an extra attacker and is defending an empty net? One goal, sure. But two?

But the Bruins did it. When I next looked at the score on my iPhone, it was 4-4 and in the period break before OT. Then I watched all of OT, hoping that the Bruins could score early while they still had the momentum.

05-14-13, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
72. "RE: Game 7 - and OT - and..."
I had to put baby Hobbes to sleep and came back after the OT was done after leaving 4-1. WOW.....good thing it was on the DVR cause I couldn't/wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Now that is a choke job that will define choke jobs for the next ten years or more.

05-01-13, 07:09 PM (EST)
5. "West - #1 Chicago vs #8 Minnesota"

05-01-13, 07:17 PM (EST)
9. "game 1 - Chicago wins 2-1 in OT"
I didn't see this one. Close game between #1 and #8. I do know that Minn scored the first goal.

05-06-13, 09:10 AM (EST)
33. "Game 2: Chicago wins 2-1"
LAST EDITED ON 05-06-13 AT 09:12 AM (EST)

Whoops: Chicago wins 5-2!

05-06-13, 09:12 AM (EST)
34. "Game 3: Minnesota wins, 3-2"
. . . the old motto of winning by OT, then dying by OT comes into play.

05-08-13, 11:53 AM (EST)
52. "RE: West - #1 Chicago vs #8 Minnesota"
Chicago wins game 4 and Minnesota loses another goalie. At least Suter has a chance at a trophy...

05-10-13, 09:59 AM (EST)
61. "Chicago wins easily"
and moves on to the second round where they'll either play San Jose or Detroit.

05-01-13, 07:10 PM (EST)
6. "West - #2 Anaheim vs #7 Detroit"
Okay, Detroit kept their streak alive, but do they have anything left in the tank?

05-01-13, 07:19 PM (EST)
11. "game 1 - Anaheim wins 3-1 "
First non-OT game of the playoffs!

05-03-13, 12:33 PM (EST)
21. "RE: game 2 - Detroit 5 Anaheim 4 in OT"
Once we lost Danny DeKeyser the Ducks made their move and Howard had a couple of soft goals but the Def started to stand around and wait for the clock to run out. We got lucky but without DeKeyser the Wings are done IMHO.

05-06-13, 09:09 AM (EST)
32. "Game 3: Anaheim wins 4-0"
And the game was not as close as the score would indicate!

05-06-13, 11:56 PM (EST)
42. "Game 4 - Detroit wins in OT"
After 4 games, Anaheim wins two games handily, and Detroit squeaks out two OT wins.

Which means they are all even with 3 games to go.

05-09-13, 09:30 AM (EST)
56. "Game 5: Anaheim wins 3-2 in OT"
The Ducks finally win a close one, which puts the Wings on the verge of exiting. Can't happen to a nicer group.

05-09-13, 07:55 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Game 5: Anaheim wins 3-2 in OT"
LAST EDITED ON 05-13-13 AT 05:23 AM (EST)

Verge of existing? Can't wait for them to beat up on Boston next year.

Edit: Exiting....I really need my contacts prescription right. Oops.

We'll looks like it's the Duck's leaving much to my surprise.

05-13-13, 05:27 AM (EST)
66. "Game 6 Det 4 Ducks 3 OT and Game 7 Det 3 Ducks 2"
I couldn't stay up to watch the last game but game 6 was really good game and the Wings proved me wrong. A few people back from injury and finally a few guys got hot so we'll see how it goes from here. Bring on Chicago!

05-01-13, 07:11 PM (EST)
7. "West - #3 Vancouver vs #6 San Jose"

05-02-13, 11:04 AM (EST)
16. "Game 1: San Jose wins 3-1"
Luongo was great for most of the game but coughed up the puck halfway through the third for the tie-breaking goal.

When do the Canucks move to Cory Schneider? Or do they? After all, Schneider was 0-2-1 against the Sharks this year.

05-02-13, 09:54 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Game 1: San Jose wins 3-1"
Rumour is that Schneider is injured.

I heard (didn't see) that Luongo mostly played very good. Canucks svck at home in the playoffs, now having lost 5 straight. Let's hope they are good on the road.

05-06-13, 09:07 AM (EST)
31. "Games 2 and 3: San Jose wins 3-2, 5-2"
Schneider was back for Game 3, but it didn't matter. Props to Thornton, Marleau and Couture if they can keep it up for one more game.

05-06-13, 02:56 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Games 2 and 3: San Jose wins 3-2, 5-2"
Stick a fork in 'em, the 'nucks are done.

They could, conceivably, eke out a pride win in Game 4 and then, possibly, win Game 5 on home ice but that will be it.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-13, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "Hockey Pizza Night in Canada"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-13 AT 09:42 AM (EST)

Edit: Link to full article.

05-08-13, 11:43 AM (EST)
51. "RE: West - #3 Vancouver vs #6 San Jose"
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-13 AT 11:43 AM (EST)

I think this says it all:

Edit: If this is a guideline violation, just let me know and I'll take it out.

05-09-13, 09:31 AM (EST)
57. "Love the broom"
Way to sweep!

05-01-13, 07:12 PM (EST)
8. "West - #4 St. Louis vs #5 LA"
LA won't be surprise underdogs again this year, but they sure have playoff experience.

05-01-13, 07:18 PM (EST)
10. "game 1 - St. Louis wins 2-1 in OT"
What a terrible OT goal, as the LA goalie coughed up the puck and St. Louis capitalized.

05-06-13, 09:23 AM (EST)
37. "Games 2 and 3: split"
SL wins Game 2 2-1; LA wins Game 3 1-0. This series looks like it will be a nail-biting, low-scoring battle to the final whistle.

05-07-13, 12:13 PM (EST)
46. "Game 4: LA wins, 4-3"
Series tied, 2-2.

05-09-13, 09:34 AM (EST)
58. "Game 5: LA wins 3-2 in OT"
Hmm, why has this series played 5 games when the Eastern series have only played 4?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •