The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"At the All-Star break..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-09-12, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"At the All-Star break..."
...Selig has successfully killed all suspense in the National League. Who's going to win the tight races in the Central and West? Which team is going to be left out of the wild card -- oh, right: there's two wild cards in each league now. So really, all we're doing is determining which cities go to a nine-inning blowout & coin flip. Would this be a good time to propose shortening the regular season by roughly 148 games?

...I can't get used to the sight of the Pirates sitting on top of a division. Make it stop.

...the local Yankee fans are beginning to talk about how this will be an Official Baseball Year: e.g. one in which the Yankees win the World Series. No other years are considered to have actually happened.

...the Rockies svck. But they don't 40-120 svck, so there's that.

...if you can find any steroids in the current crop of power hitters, sing out. Numbers are down all over and while balls are still flying out of parks, they're not earning extra miles in doing so. We have achieved stability -- which just means that for now, the tests are ahead of the chemists.

...the real AL race is to see who in Boston gets crucified first.

...Jered Weaver is terrifying, mostly because his last name is 'Weaver'.

...to paraphrase William Goldman and apply it to the Mets, I can live with .500 if it's fun.

...home field in the World Series will be settled tomorrow.

Why?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: At the All-Star break... Max Headroom 07-09-12 1
   RE: At the All-Star break... Estee 07-09-12 2
       RE: At the All-Star break... Max Headroom 07-09-12 4
 RE: At the All-Star break... AyaK 07-09-12 3
   RE: At the All-Star break... zipperhead 07-13-12 13
       RE: At the All-Star break... Estee 07-13-12 14
           RE: At the All-Star break... Max Headroom 07-13-12 16
               RE: At the All-Star break... Estee 07-14-12 17
 RE: At the All-Star break... HobbsofMI 07-09-12 5
   RE: At the All-Star break... bondt007 07-13-12 15
 RE: At the All-Star break... PepeLePew13 07-10-12 6
   RE: At the All-Star break... Estee 07-10-12 7
   RE: At the All-Star break... Max Headroom 07-10-12 8
   *waves white flag* PepeLePew13 08-11-12 27
       RE: *waves white flag* PepeLePew13 09-07-12 47
 National League kicks AL rear. Estee 07-11-12 9
   RE: National League kicks AL rear. Max Headroom 07-11-12 10
   RE: National League kicks AL rear. michel 07-11-12 11
       RE: National League kicks AL rear. Estee 07-11-12 12
 Trading Season has begun... PepeLePew13 07-23-12 18
   RE: Trading Season has begun... Max Headroom 07-23-12 19
       RE: Trading Season has begun... PepeLePew13 07-23-12 20
           RE: Trading Season has begun... byoffer 07-24-12 21
               RE: Trading Season has begun... PepeLePew13 07-24-12 22
                   RE: Trading Season has begun... michel 07-24-12 23
                       RE: Trading Season has begun... PepeLePew13 07-24-12 24
                           RE: Trading Season has begun... michel 07-24-12 25
   RE: Trading Season has begun... Molaholic 07-31-12 26
 Blockbuster Trade PepeLePew13 08-25-12 28
   RE: Blockbuster Trade Estee 08-25-12 29
   RE: Blockbuster Trade Max Headroom 08-25-12 30
       RE: Blockbuster Trade AyaK 08-26-12 32
   RE: Blockbuster Trade Molaholic 08-26-12 31
       RE: Blockbuster Trade AyaK 08-26-12 33
       RE: Blockbuster Trade PepeLePew13 08-26-12 34
           RE: Blockbuster Trade AyaK 08-26-12 35
               RE: Blockbuster Trade PepeLePew13 08-28-12 36
                   RE: Blockbuster Trade AyaK 09-04-12 39
               RE: Blockbuster Trade Estee 08-28-12 37
                   RE: Blockbuster Trade PepeLePew13 08-28-12 38
                       RE: Blockbuster Trade AyaK 09-04-12 40
 If there's a little traffic, then y... PepeLePew13 09-05-12 41
   RE: If there's a little traffic, th... Estee 09-05-12 42
   Valentine's Day Massacre com... PepeLePew13 09-05-12 43
       RE: Valentine's Day Massacre... AyaK 09-06-12 44
           RE: Valentine's Day Massacre... Estee 09-06-12 45
               RE: Valentine's Day Massacre... AyaK 09-06-12 46

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-12, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
...the Rockies svck. But they don't 40-120 svck, so there's that.

33 wins already. Read it and weep.

And let the record show that the Astros are 1/2 game behind the Rockies in the standings.

The key question: Do chicks dig the knuckleball?

Proud supporter of futility since 1993.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

07-09-12, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
They do. But he's taken. (Really more friend material anyway.)

At a guess, he will not lead off the game. He'll be saved for after the AL is used to swinging at fastballs and he can really screw up their timing. Sometime after the 6th?

07-09-12, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
The rumor I saw was that they didn't want to start him because they didn't think Buster Posey could catch knuckleballs. Supposedly Posey asked for Josh Thole's phone number to get a few tips... In any case it's hard to argue with the NL starting Matt Cain.

As long as they don't give him the Wakefield treatment, he'll be fine.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-12, 06:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
>...the real AL race is to see who in Boston gets
>crucified first.

The only person the team could crucify is rookie GM Ben Cherington, because team President Larry Lucchino is part of ownership and Bobby Valentine is his handpicked manager. But they won't, because that would make Lucchino look even worse for driving Theo Epstein and Terry Francona out of town.

In addition, I wonder whether the Red Sox will finally admit that the team's sellout streak has officially ended. Until the end of last year, it was occasionally still possible to find tickets to a Sox game, but the number of seats were VERY few.

This year, it's totally different. I get at least two e-mails a week from the Sox, asking (begging?) me to buy tickets for the upcoming series. They've kept the "sellout streak" alive by donating leftover tickets to youth groups through a partnership between the team and Dunkin' Donuts. But you just have to look around the stadium and see all the empty seats this year to understand the declining state of Red Sox fandom.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-13-12, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-12 AT 10:45 AM (EST)

Ran into a Red Sox fan a couple of weeks back. We briefly talked baseball. I mentioned how I had been raised as a Cardinals fan. He said, "Yeah, Cardinals fans are great baseball fans. But in Boston - it's a religion."

That sort of sanctimonious attitude is what grates on most people's nerves about Boston sports fans, I think. ETA So it's amazing to me to hear that they're not filling the seats at Fenway anymore.

07-13-12, 11:13 AM (EST)
14. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
It's a religion, but they won't drop any money into the collection plate. The BoSox have been as bad as any MLB team in attempting to price themselves out of the market, steadily increasing the numbers on the tickets while reassuring themselves that it's a limited availability product, so people will happily overpay to get what little is out there. Using Fenway's small size as a selling point: less than 40k of you can get in, so be prepared to shell out for the honor of being counted among them. But that tactic only works while a team is A. winning and B. has enough rich fans, corporate followers, and families willing to spend their vacation money to keep those seats filled. If the team crashes and the ticket prices stay the same or go up even more, it's always goodbye to a percentage of the gate.

Right now, the team is way out of first and surrender of a major organ is required to get an obstructed view. And out they go.

07-13-12, 11:33 PM (EST)
16. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
less than 40k of you can get in, so be prepared to shell out for the honor of being counted among them.

Less than 40k can fit into PNC Park in Pittsburgh, where fans can go to a beautiful ballpark and watch (at least for the moment) a first-place team. I went to the July 2nd game against the Astros, paid $24/ticket on StubHub for four field level boxes in row D right behind home plate, and had a great family baseball experience.

And I'm not even a Pirates fan!

07-14-12, 06:40 AM (EST)
17. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
I checked StubHub for comparable Fenway tickets -- going for a Yankee game so I'd have an in-demand day -- and came up with around $276. But even with New York in town, there were close to 5,000 tickets available for that match... and that sign is pointing straight down.

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

07-09-12, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
Well the Tigers had to win 5 in a row to be 2 games above .500. So much for that 1000 run season again. It's like 2008 all over again.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

bondt007 3358 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-13-12, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
I still think the Tigers are going to come out on top of that division.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

07-10-12, 06:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
I'd like to see the Jays make it through the rest of the season without having to start calling up old grandmothers to fill out the rotation. I've never experienced a stretch of four games with three starters leaving with arm injuries.

On the DL: Morrow, Santos, Drabek, Hutchison, Litsch, McGowan, and now Perez who popped his elbow on Sunday and is out for the year likely to have Tommy John - think Jays are getting a bunch of buy-one, get-one free discounts at Dr. Andrews' office by now.

With all that, remarkable the Jays are only 2.5 out of a playoff spot.

07-10-12, 06:59 AM (EST)
7. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
I've never experienced a stretch of four games with three starters leaving with arm injuries.

I have.

07-10-12, 08:15 AM (EST)
8. "RE: At the All-Star break..."
At least Janssen has covered well for Santos.

Things could be worse. You could be a Rockies fan.

08-11-12, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "*waves white flag*"
LAST EDITED ON 08-11-12 AT 11:31 PM (EST)

zHrelp!

Maybe we need to be stocking up on B12 or whatever.

It's getting beyond ridiculous now - after holding down the fort for a while at 51-49, the injuries are now multiplying and the Jays have gone 2-11 since then.

Fifteen players on the DL. Sixteen if Rasmus can't recover quickly. We're now down to two of the five in the starting rotation and only three of the starting 9 in the batting lineup. Our starting catcher at the moment is a career .196 hitter exclusively as a backup and our current backup catcher is a Brazilian who is more of an utility player who also plays 3B, 1B, LF and DH. *hides head*

Edited to add: Yes, another injury, ladies and gentlemen. Escobar was hit in two at-bats in a row, with the second time pinging off his elbow and knocking him out of the game.

On the injury list:

Bautista
Lawrie
Rasmus
Lind
Arencibia
Escobar

Morrow
Hutchison (Tommy John)
Drabek (TJ)
Santos
Frasor (had TJ twice)
Litsch (TJ)
Perez (TJ)
McGowan (had TJ, may need it again)
Coello (TJ)

No truth to the rumours that the Jays get a special buy three-get one free discount at Dr. Andrews' office.

And our top prospect, #4 in all of baseball, Travis d'Arnaud is out for the year with a PCL tear.

Safe to say we're not buyers any more, except for healthy bodies.

09-07-12, 08:22 PM (EST)
47. "RE: *waves white flag*"
LAST EDITED ON 09-07-12 AT 08:23 PM (EST)

...and it never ends.

Since the previous post, Bautista came back and promptly got hurt again, this time needing surgery to knock him out until 2013. Cooper joined him on the out-for-the-year list and just today Happ was found to have a broken foot and had screws installed to hold the foot together. Out a minimum of 4 months.

Someone over on the Drunk Jays Fans blog put this nice little thing together:

07-11-12, 08:12 AM (EST)
9. "National League kicks AL rear."
"Great!", cry the Yankee fans. "Now when we sweep the World Series, we get to accept the trophy at home!"

07-11-12, 08:45 AM (EST)
10. "RE: National League kicks AL rear."
Be on the lookout for pale horsemen. Kung Fu Panda getting a triple is a sure sign of the apocalypse.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

07-11-12, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: National League kicks AL rear."
The NL pitchers, especially its relievers, were amazing. Kimbrel started an inning, struck out 2 on 7 pitches and then the manager made a change as if he didn't want to look too cruel! I bet there were lots of laughes in that clubhouse aftertwards.

07-11-12, 05:36 PM (EST)
12. "RE: National League kicks AL rear."
nd then the manager made a change as if he didn't want to look too cruel!

Actually, that's LaRussa's way of being as cruel as possible -- to the viewers. If it was legal, he'd make a pitching change while the ball was still on the way to the plate so the new guy could switch up the last 30'3".

Yes, I know it's the All-Star game and the manager wants to get as many players in as possible. He worked like that every day.

Retired now. And stay down.

07-23-12, 08:20 PM (EST)
18. "Trading Season has begun..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-23-12 AT 08:20 PM (EST)

It's been a big few days for trades so far, officially kicking off the final week before the trade deadline. And with the heavy competition going on with the extra wild card spot, expect to see some major trades to take place.

Today? Ichiro traded to the Yankees for two middling pitching prospects (one of whom wasn't even considered much of a prospect for the Jays just a year or two ago).

And the Tigers pulled off a deal to get two very useful parts, Omar Infante and Anibel Sanchez, in exchange for a good prospect (Jacob Turner) and two minor leaguers.

Scuttlebutt has it that the Braves are close to acquiring Ryan Dempster from the Cubs.

A few days ago, there was a 10-player trade between the Jays and Astros with JA Happ, Brandon Lyon and David Carpenter for 7 players including Coco Cordero, Ben Francisco and a gaggle of minor leaguers.

Hey Anthopoulos? Felix Hernandez is likely to be on the market. He fills a need. Go get him and block the Yankees from getting him.

07-23-12, 10:46 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
So are the Jays buyers or sellers? That trade moved a large number of players but none of them are "name" or impact-type.

And the Rockies? Would be sellers if they had players anybody wanted.

07-23-12, 11:09 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
All indications I've heard are that the Jays are in "buy" mode.

The Rockies... well, they did make a trade - Jonathan Sanchez for Jeremy Guthrie. Sanchez has potential and knows the West, so he ought to be a better fit than Guthrie.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-12, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
I hope if the Jays are in Buy mode it is for the future and not to fill holes for this season. No way a team loses all the pitchers they have lost this year and makes the playoffs.

07-24-12, 10:47 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-24-12 AT 10:51 AM (EST)

Yeah I don't think they're likely to make the playoffs, either... but they're still only three games out of a playoff spot even with 9 pitchers + Bautista currently on the DL -- and they're starting a 3-game series tonight against the team they need to catch for the final spot (Oakland).

Morrow and Bautista are going to be back pretty soon and if the Jays could somehow grab a top starting pitcher for not only this season but beyond, then anything's possible. There are four teams ahead of the Jays for the final wild card spot, and three of them are teams that nobody expected to be in the mix for the wild card (the OriLOLes, A's and White Sox) while the fourth team (Tampa) is very beatable. I'm conceding the first wild card spot to the Angels, I don't think anybody is catching them and I think they might even pass the Rangers for the division, in which case the Rangers would get the first WC spot.

07-24-12, 05:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
The problem I see for the Jays is that they've been playing poorly against the Orioles and the Rays over the last few years. Don't see a turnaround coming soon. And don't forget the Red Sox. Sure the Jays swept them just now but Boston has a lot of talent. If they get a pitcher...

07-24-12, 07:10 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
The oriLOLes? The Jays have completely owned them the past few years - even including this year's 4-5 record, they're still pounding the oriLOLes to the tune of 83-54 over the past eight seasons, including a sweep in their last series. Baltimore is also 7 games under .500 overall since mid-May. They'll fall apart by the end of the season.

Yeah, the Jays usually don't do well against Tampa, but they're beatable this year and anything's possible if the Jays can pick up a starting pitcher.

07-24-12, 08:23 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
That's what happens when I go by memory! I picked up JJ Hardy for my fantasy team after he destroyed the Blue Jays early last year and that's all I really remember of their confrontations.

But this year, the Orioles have the advantage and it's this season that counts.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-12, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Trading Season has begun..."
Dodgers get Shane Victorino from the Phils for a couple of meh pichers. Sure, it's just for the balance of '12 but it should bolster the Dodger outfield. Hopefully it won't make Gwynn available...

The orange ones counter by picking up Hunter Pence. Looks like Market Day at Citizens Bank Park.

08-25-12, 08:38 AM (EST)
28. "Blockbuster Trade"
This might be the biggest trade ever in terms of contract dollar amounts going one way, and certainly a massive salary dump.

Red Sox give up:
Adrian Gonzalez
Carl Crawford
Josh Beckett
Nick Punto
(which is a total of $270 million in contract money off their books)

Dodgers give up:
James Loney
Rubby De La Rosa
Ivan DeJesus Jr.
Jerry Sands
Allen Webster

Apparently the only thing that is potentially holding up the trade is Beckett as a 10/5 man who has to decide if he'll accept the move to L.A.

08-25-12, 09:26 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
The original report I heard on this trade (when it was still in the rumor stage) had the Sox eating most of the salary. Now the Dodgers seem to be taking it on. Boston has got to be getting near the limit of what it can spend on players -- those Fenway seats realistically can't go any higher -- and the Dodgers are just starting to bring the team into a recovery stage. Economically, someone is going to get killed. I just don't know who. And as for players, there seems to be a 'my current mistakes for my future mistakes' element on both sides.

At this point, I'm putting the BoSox on all-out deathwatch. Someone is going to get axed -- and don't bet the house against it being literal.

08-25-12, 10:37 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
AyaK will be along shortly to remind everyone that Carl Crawford is one of the biggest free-agent busts in baseball history... and with that in mind, I don't understand why the Dodgers would want that financial albatross of a contract. (Maybe they can trade for Vernon Wells and Alfonso Soriano next.) The other odd thing about this trade is that the Sox don't seem to be getting much back-- Loney is a powerless first baseman and the rest are prospects with varying but non-exceptional track records. If it looks like a salary dump, and it smells like a salary dump, it's a salary dump.

08-26-12, 03:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
In part, the issue with Crawford is that his acquisition by the Red Sox never made any sense. His acquisition by the Dodgers doesn't make any sense either. Maybe he'll return to being the same player that he was with the Devil Rays in L.A., but more likely he'll be no better than he was in Boston. I do believe that the Red Sox had some injury insurance on Crawford's contract, and I presume the Dodgers are acquiring that along with Crawford in the waiver claim.

That said, if the Dodger's price of acquiring Gonzalez and Beckett was to take the almost WOAT (yes, Bobby Bonilla is most certainly the WOAT), then it probably wasn't too high of a price to pay. The idea that Gonzalez wasn't a Boston-type player, being spread industriously by Lyin' Larry Lucchino and his brain-damaged aide Dr. Charles Steinberg (the sultan of leaks), was simply BS. And the public vilification that Lucchino and his toadies dumped on Beckett (leading to Beckett getting booed when he left a game with an injury) means that Beckett would be thrilled to get the he11 out of Boston. Beckett had a great year last year (prior to September) and hasn't forgotten how to pitch, no matter what the fellowship of the miserable on Boston dope-talk radio think.

In fact, there are lots of other players who will be thrilled to get the he11 out of Boston. At the top of that list are Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia. Ellsbury will unquestionably be gone when he becomes a free agent after 2013. but Pedroia is tied up through 2015. Jon Lester is tied up through 2014, and poor Clay Buchholz is stuck in Boston until 2017. They must feel like hostages, stuck with the Red Sox after the carnival has moved on.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

08-26-12, 00:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
Gonzalez homers in his first Dodger at-bat (but then, it was against J. Johnson and the fish). Meanwhile, Andre Eithier has himself a Dodger record 10-for-10 streak going (but then, 8 of the hits were against the fish).

I too have to wonder about what we'll do with Crawford, other than supply a ride to the bank. And if we're lucky Beckett may get an out or three before something blows.

08-26-12, 09:59 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
Here's the issue with Beckett this year: his velocity is down, for unexplained reasons, by about 5 mph. So, instead of a 93-95 mph fastball, he's peaking at about 88-92 mph. As a result, he's throwing more curves. A lot more curves. While he's a good curveball pitcher, he's not Bert Blyleven, who could succeed by throwing mostly curves. Beckett needs to mix in fastballs.

Last year, people in Boston whined that Beckett's problems in September (which cost him the ERA title last year) were due to Beckett not being in shape, which was the origin of all of the stupid beer-and-fried-chicken nonsense. But this year has disproven that theory. The question is whether Beckett has a mechanical problem (as Lester and Buchholz did for most of this year, until they worked it out within the last month) or a physical problem. I tend to believe the former, because it was the case for the Sox' other two pitchers. But, if it's the latter, then this deal becomes appreciably worse for the Dodgers.

Side note: the Sox have had a sizable number of Tommy John surgeries recently: not just Carl Crawford, but also John Lackey, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Junichi Tazawa. Let's hope Beckett isn't about to join that list (I presume the Dodgers checked this out, though).

08-26-12, 10:15 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
Next year is an odd numbed year so Beckett is due for a good year. Plus he's won two Series and historically pitches well in the post season. Beckett will be amped up to pitch well the rest of the season and help in the playoffs if the Dodgers get in.

This trade is a massive win for the Dodgers - they immediately get much better in their chase of the Giants. While the Giants lose Melky, the Dodgers get a legit 1B, proven run producer and a big Mexican-American drawing card in A-Gone and also get a newly-motivated clutch pitcher and an useful bench player (Punto).

A win for the Red Sux as well. They get some fat contracts off their shoulders, a big addition-by-subtraction situation to cleanse that toxic clubhouse environment, and a chance for Cherington, et al, to start over with lots of money to spend. Some of the players they're getting back are pretty decent like De La Rosa, Webster and Loney.

In order to get A-Gone, the Dodgers had to take on Crawford's contract. He'll never be the same player he was in Tampa or be able to live up to his contract, but he's a better fit in LA than he ever was for the Red Sux.

Truly an amazing trade considering it's August with all the waiver stuff going on. (seems the Blue Jays put in a waiver claim on De La Rosa so the Sux can't get him until the offseason to make it official as a "player to be named later")

08-26-12, 08:10 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
Permit me to disagree in part. I agree that this trade is a massive win for the Dodgers, and I agree that it's a huge break for the Red Sox to get rid of Crawford's contract. What I don't see is how the Red Sox make up for the losses this year of Youkilis and Gonzalez at 1B, because there isn't anyone waiting in the wings in the Sox' system to take over there. Loney is, I'm sorry to say, a dud.

The only things toxic in the Red Sox's clubhouse were the manager (Bobby Valentine) and the team president (Lyin' Lucchino). They're still in Boston. Thus, the clubhouse will still be as toxic as it ever was, but the team will be a lot worse.

In a survey today about when the Sox will next make the playoffs, while about 80% of the respondents answered 2013, I answered 2017 (if they're lucky).

08-28-12, 01:49 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
That's true about Bobby V and Lucchino still being around, but there was already signs of a toxic clubhouse last year when guys were loafing around eating fried chicken and drinking beer during games and someone ratting it out to the management, long before Bobby came around.

Fair or not, Beckett was seen as one of the prime guys doing the chicken-and-beer routine, so he had to go in order to make the first steps toward cleansing the clubhouse. Guess the Dodgers wouldn't touch Lackey, huh? Sounds like Lackey didn't waste any time claiming Beckett's old locker. If the Sox are smart, they'll cut ties with Lackey in the off-season and eat some of his contract in another addition-by-subtraction move.

09-04-12, 08:25 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
LAST EDITED ON 09-04-12 AT 08:28 PM (EST)

That's certainly the media story, but I find it unlikely that Josh Beckett, who is one of the most intense, nastiest, competitive people I've ever seen, would be loafing around. In other words, I don't believe that story.

Here's what I think happened. Going back to Curt Schilling, the Red Sox had allowed starting pitchers to stay in the clubhouse and watch films during home games. Last year, Beckett and Red Sox pitching coach Curt Young (in his first year) totally didn't get along. What I believe is that, instead of eating the clubhouse food while watching videos, Beckett ordered some buckets of fried chicken from the fast-food restaurant across the street from Fenway Park, and Lester, Lackey and Buchholz all ate it (and drank clubhouse beer along with it) while watching film. I also believe that part of the reason for doing it was to thumb their collective noses at Curt Young.

Do I believe that was a factor in the Sox's September meltdown? No, although I do believe that Young was an awful pitching coach, and certainly a disappointment after John Farrell. The only toxic atmosphere existed between the pitchers (pretty much all of them) and Young, who was promptly fired at the end of the season.

I also believe that, had Francona stayed, there wouldn't have been any ill effects from the Sptember meltdown. The real meltdown victim wasn't Beckett, despite the yipping from the unintelligensia; it was star reliever Daniel Bard, who singlehandedly cost the Sox four games in September, and he's never recovered (shades of Rick Ankiel).

Beckett was just too competitive to have felt good about what happened last September. He still had an ERA in the 2.5 range last year, even with a subpar September. But, when Lyin' Larry Lucchino made his power play to push out Francona and Theo Epstein and bring in his fantasy manager in Bobby Valentine, he lost Beckett and the clubhouse for good.

08-28-12, 01:59 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
It might vaguely amuse you to watch Simmons talking himself into this.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8307572/red-sox-nation-hits-reset-button

Personally, I find it's been a bad summer for Reset Buttons.

08-28-12, 04:28 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
You know, I just happened to have the good fortune to be passing through Massachusetts the day of the big trade and the day after as well. Quite an experience to see the media literally blowing up and how everyone had an opinion on it, stretching from central Maine down to western Mass.

(Incidentally, I stayed one night in a town that sounds exactly like it'd be a certain Patriots' coach's training camp compound - it's just down the freeway from where you are, AyaK).

09-04-12, 08:36 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Blockbuster Trade"
Once upon a time, I used to be a sportswriter. It was my great good fortune to work with a legendary Cleveland sportswriter named Bob August, who used to refer to sportswriting as "the playpen of journalism" and told me that if I wanted to do anything other than write stories to suck up to multimillionaires (i.e., team ownership and star players) or write features, then I was in the wrong line of work. I took his advice, even though I'd already won an award for feature writing, because I did NOT want to write stories to suck up to multimillionaires.

What you heard in Boston was exactly that: writers and broadcasters sucking up to one group of multimillionaires (the Sox clueless owners) while taking out their frustrations by trashing a second group of multimillionaires (the Sox players). Rarely have I felt so lucky to be away from it all.

09-05-12, 04:59 PM (EST)
41. "If there's a little traffic, then you're not really late..."
... so says Bobby Valentine.

Hey, maybe I can try that with my boss the next time traffic makes me late for work! "Boss, it's okay for me to get in at 9:15 because of traffic, how can you argue with the Manager of the Boston Red Sox?"

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/20064894/bobby-valentine-says-2012-has-been-miserable-but-wants-to-return

09-05-12, 05:15 PM (EST)
42. "RE: If there's a little traffic, then you're not really late..."
how can you argue with the Manager of the Boston Red Sox?

If you need help with that, I can get you the main desk at the Globe.

09-05-12, 10:18 PM (EST)
43. "Valentine's Day Massacre coming..."
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/scott-miller/20066139/the-last-days-of-the-massacre-of-valentine

09-06-12, 00:37 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Valentine's Day Massacre coming..."
How seriously can you take a column by someone who refers to Bobby Valentine as a "baseball genius" who can "win on any level"?

It's another suck-up column intended to give Chief Fool Lyin' Larry Lucchino a way out of his utterly incompetent manipulation of clueless Red Sox principal owner John Henry. For reasons never made public, Red Sox second owner Tom Werner (part of Carsey-Werner Productions, one of the most successful independent production companies in TV history) believes that Lucchino is a baseball genius. Henry doesn't seem to believe that, but he also seems reluctant to cross his partner. So Lucchino blunders along, leaving more destruction in his path than Hurricane Isaac.

09-06-12, 07:50 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Valentine's Day Massacre coming..."
About as seriously as you can take one written by a 'comic strip person'?

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8341433/boston-red-sox-manager-bobby-valentine-calls-2012-season-miserable

As far as I'm concerned, that was the most offensive thing in the entire speech.

09-06-12, 05:06 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Valentine's Day Massacre coming..."
Comic strip people would never create a character like Bobby Valentine.

They have to make their characters behave more predictably and less randomly.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •