The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Smelling Salts for Estee... stat!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-01-12, 09:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Smelling Salts for Estee... stat!"
The Mets finally have that long-elusive no-hitter for the first time in franchise history after 50 years.

Congrats to Johan Santana.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Smelling Salts for Estee... sta... kidflash212 06-01-12 1
   RE: Smelling Salts for Estee... sta... PepeLePew13 06-01-12 2
 RE: Smelling Salts for Estee... sta... Estee 06-01-12 3
 Thirty-five. Estee 06-02-12 4
   RE: Thirty-five. kidflash212 06-02-12 5
   RE: Thirty-five. PepeLePew13 06-02-12 6
       RE: Thirty-five. Estee 06-02-12 7
           RE: Thirty-five. PepeLePew13 06-02-12 8
               As a side note... Molaholic 06-03-12 17
   What took you so long?! michel 06-02-12 9
       RE: What took you so long?! Estee 06-03-12 10
           RE: What took you so long?! michel 06-03-12 12
   RE: Thirty-five. Max Headroom 06-03-12 11
       RE: Thirty-five. PepeLePew13 06-03-12 13
           RE: Thirty-five. Estee 06-03-12 14
               RE: Thirty-five. PepeLePew13 06-03-12 15
           Excrutiating? michel 06-03-12 16
 RA Dickey... PepeLePew13 06-14-12 18
   RE: RA Dickey... Max Headroom 06-14-12 19
       RE: RA Dickey... PepeLePew13 06-14-12 20
   RE: RA Dickey... Estee 06-14-12 21
 Thirty-seven. Estee 06-19-12 22
   RE: Thirty-seven. Max Headroom 06-19-12 23
   RE: Thirty-seven. PepeLePew13 06-19-12 24
       RE: Thirty-seven. Estee 06-19-12 25
           RE: Thirty-seven. Max Headroom 06-19-12 26
               RE: Thirty-seven. Estee 06-19-12 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-01-12, 10:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Smelling Salts for Estee... stat!"
I watched it and I still don't believe it.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-01-12, 10:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Smelling Salts for Estee... stat!"
I tuned in during the fifth and Santana was at 84 pitches after 4.1 innings, so I certainly didn't see this happening at all. I figured "two more innings" then the bullpen would take over from there.

He's going to need an extra few days to recuperate, though. 134 pitches? Here's hoping the words, "Paging Dr. Andrews" aren't heard any time soon.

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-12, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Smelling Salts for Estee... stat!"
*waiting for Selig to reverse it*

06-02-12, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Thirty-five."
That was the number which kept echoing last night, to the point of turning into a personal Guido Sarducci routine. Thirty-five... thirty-five... thirty-five...

And what is that number (other than what the good Father indicated)? The total count of one-hitters in Mets history.

It could make you weep. It really could. What is the team known for in its best years? ('Nothing!' laugh the Yankees and Phillies fans, both of whom took to the ether in droves last night to make sure no one could have a single good moment without mockery following, preceding, or completely drowning out.) Pitching. Dominating starters with the talent to throw no-hitters left and right, which many of them did -- right after they left. How many ex-Mets have thrown no-hitters and perfect games? How many would you like? I could give you that number, but there's only so much pain that should be taken in one sports night.

Another number was mentioned last night. Eight thousand and nineteen. That's the games played by the franchise without getting off zero by getting zero. Someone was keeping count. Maybe on some level, everyone was.

Was it clean? No. Beltran (of course Beltran) should have had a hit. A clean one-hitter over an umpire-soiled no-hitter? Thirty-six, anyone? There's luck: there's always luck in this. I still wanted it honest, all-the-way indisputable... but the call was blown (although not by a ton, for whatever that's worth), and that's why I waited for Selig to call down and say he wouldn't grant one taken by honest mistake, but he'd remove one given by natural error. Because he's just that kind of jerk. And if he had, the worst I would have done was sigh about double standards and move on.

But still...

...thirty-five, thirty-five, thirty-five...

and one.

Maybe someone was counting. And decided it had gone high enough.

Padres: you are not forgotten. One franchise to go.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-02-12, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Thirty-five."
I'm not going to listen to the Yankee fans who want to gripe because Beltran's ball may have just caught a sliver of chalk. It's not like the Mets have never been the victim of bad calls. I'm going to enjoy this.

06-02-12, 01:03 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Thirty-five."
If Bud wasn't going to overturn an even worse (and obvious) call by Jim Joyce to preserve Armando Galarraga's perfecto, there was no chance he was going to overturn that borderline call on that "foul" by Beltran last night.

Thinking off the top of my head: Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, David Cone, Tom Seaver, Doc Gooden, and Phillip Humber did it after leaving the Mets. Who did I miss? They wouldn't count Pedro's 9 perfect innings before losing it in extras and that was before he became a Met. I remember reading a rant in a Mets blog after Humber's perfecto earlier about the synchronicity of 7 former Mets, the 7 subway used to get to Shea, etc.

06-02-12, 01:54 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Thirty-five."
Hideo Nomo. (Hideous, oh Hideous, oh have you met Hideous, Hideous the no-strikes pitcher...) There's also Jim Bibby, who was in the organization but never reached the majors as a Met. Count him at your own discretion.

Oh -- here's a site I didn't know existed until today. I'm very glad I didn't know about it before now, because someone was keeping track. Meticulous, horrific, sanity-breaking track.

http://nonohitters.com/

It's safe to go there now.

Note that we didn't match the longest drought: the Phillies own that. But it's that first one...

Guess y'all don't get to throw this in my face any more. (Thankee for posting the thread.)

06-02-12, 02:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Thirty-five."
Huh... didn't realize that Nomo ever pitched for the Mets. Learn something new every day.

I can relate to that website - this past season, there was a site devoted to the number of days since Scott Gomez last scored a goal (it was just past a full year before he finally broke the streak). When a guy like him is earning $51 million over seven years, you expect more than two goals in a season.

http://didgomezscore.com/

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-12, 11:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "As a side note..."
Coors Field has a large display in the main lobby detailing important events. However, they do NOT mention Nomo's no-hitter of September 17, 1996.

The fact that the no-no was thrown against the stones should not be a factor, IMHO.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-12, 09:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "What took you so long?!"
I guess now is a good time to remind everyone that the Expos had their first no-hitter about two weeks into their first season. Bill Stoneman threw his first no-no with the Expos in April of 69!

The Padres still don't have one? Well that's something nice to know!

06-03-12, 04:40 AM (EST)
10. "RE: What took you so long?!"
And now let us take a moment as we tally up the Expos/Nationals postseason history.

...and it's over.

Still. I'm guessing there's a deity offended by the name.

06-03-12, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What took you so long?!"
We simply couldn't get a miracle.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-12, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Thirty-five."
*head tilt*

Even the Rockies have one no-hitter in team history, though it wasn't in Colorado.

Proud supporter of futility since 1993.

06-03-12, 07:09 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Thirty-five."
We've got one no-hitter in Blue Jays history as well.

But I'm reminded of perhaps the greatest stretch of near-misses in history -- Dave Stieb had a four-start stretch where he had THREE one-hitters, including back-to-back no-hitters broken up with two outs and two strikes in the ninth inning. That was excruciating - Stieb came oh.this.close to matching Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back no-hitters and watching him lose another one with two outs in the ninth a year later was equally as tough.

3 one-hitters in 4 starts:
Sept. 1988 vs. CLE: Julio Franco bad-hop grounder that bounced over Manny Lee's head, 2 outs 2 strikes in the 9th.
Sept. 1988 vs. BAL: Jim Traber blooper just over Fred McGriff's head into short RF, 2 outs 2 strikes in the 9th.
Apr. 1989 vs. KC: He "only" gave up four hits in this Opening Day game.
Apr. 1989 vs NYY: Jamie Quirk single in the 5th inning.

Four starts, seven hits total in 35 innings.

Later in 1989:
Aug. 1989 vs NYY: Perfect game broken up with 2 outs in the 9th by Roberto Kelly (who then scored on a single by Steve Sax).
Aug. 1989 vs MIL: Robin Yount single in the 5th inning for Stieb's fifth one-hitter in a year-plus.

Finally, Stieb got his long-awaited no-hitter on Sept. 2, 1990 against the Indians.

06-03-12, 09:09 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Thirty-five."
Ye gawds. That's one of those stretches where if you truly love someone, you don't let them into any tall buildings. Or near traffic. Or cook their own food. Or... well, name it and they're not doing it alone. That's a hall door-slammer stretch.

06-03-12, 09:26 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Thirty-five."
Yeah, it was painful enough to watch it as a big fan of Stieb - I can only imagine how tough it was for him to deal with. Fittingly, his autobiography was called "Tomorrow I'll Be Perfect".

It's almost like he held on as long as he could before he finally got his no-hitter as his career literally fell off the rails after that 1990 season. Injuries and right-arm crappiness started up in 1991 and within two years he was done at age 34, save for a brief comeback at age 40.

06-03-12, 10:42 PM (EST)
16. "Excrutiating?"
Yes, I remember those one-hitters by Stieb but there's been tons of one hitters.

I was sitting alone in the kitchen listening on the radio as Pedro Martinez was perfect for 9 innings only to see it ruined because the team couldn't score a run. He won the game but gave up a hit in the 10th. How many pitchers have been perfect for 9 innings only to lose it in extra innings? I think only 2.

06-14-12, 06:10 AM (EST)
18. "RA Dickey..."
Almost another no-hitter for the Mets last night - and it would have been a more legit one than the Santana one as it was a close call on the Wright grounder that he had go off his hand that was ruled a hit (as compared to the blown call on the Beltran "foul").

Nice perfecto by Cain last night, though.

06-14-12, 07:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: RA Dickey..."
The Mets are appealing the official scorer's ruling of a hit on the grounder to Wright.

06-14-12, 08:45 AM (EST)
20. "RE: RA Dickey..."
Yeah i saw the highlight and it's totally a judgment call. I'd be extremely surprised if it was changed to an error.

Was just reading that Cain just turned in the highest game score for a perfecto (along with Koufax) and its the highest since the incomparable Kerry Wood game in '98.

06-14-12, 09:15 AM (EST)
21. "RE: RA Dickey..."
Thirty-six.

06-19-12, 07:41 AM (EST)
22. "Thirty-seven."
Imagine a knuckleball pitcher starting the All-Star game.

I just did.

06-19-12, 08:18 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Thirty-seven."
MLB Network showed a slow-speed replay of one of his knuckleballs last night. It was amazing to see a baseball floating like that with absolutely no spin. Remarkable.

And you can't argue with the results either.

06-19-12, 02:19 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Thirty-seven."
Speak of the devil. I bring up Dave Stieb's back-to-back one-hitters earlier in this thread and Dickey happens to match that feat to be the first to do it in the 24 years since Stieb did it.

Dude is en fuego. Not only is he having a season for the ages but he just wrote a book that has been reviewed to be excellent. Think I'll go pick it up for some summer reading.

Now let's see if Dickey can pull off the 3-in-4 starts stretch as well...

06-19-12, 02:43 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Thirty-seven."
No knuckleball pitcher can ever be en fuego. At best, he's en butterfly.

The grand joke: in the copycat culture of sports, not even this will make the other teams start trying to actively teach the pitch. ESPN's headline basically called this a novelty act which happened to be working out. Baseball is addicted to speed, the knuckleball isn't it -- and thus the pitch barely survives, no matter how well its practitioners do.

06-19-12, 02:59 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Thirty-seven."
and thus the pitch barely survives, no matter how well its practitioners do.

Guys like Charlie Hough and Phil Niekro made the knuckleball work for a long time. And Hoyt Wilhelm rode it to the Hall of Fame.

06-19-12, 03:44 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Thirty-seven."
And yet, count the active knuckleballers in the major leagues. No matter how well some people do with it, the pitch is still seem as a fluke and success an aberration.

This is probably Jim Bouton's fault.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •