The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"BSC SEC rematch is set"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-05-11, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"BSC SEC rematch is set"
LAST EDITED ON 12-05-11 AT 12:21 PM (EST)

After 20086 (edit:my bad) call by all those SEC schools, coaches (Nick Sabin especially), writers (some who voted Mich 8th or less to make sure they didn't finish No. 2), etc. called for no rematches since you did not win your conference....what do we get?

A rematch!

Sorry but Alabama had their chance at home and due to some bone head plays and no kicker they lost in OT.

Just like that year people said give Florida their shot and they showed OSU was not No. 1 I say give Oklahoma State their shot but the BSC is just as messed up as ever.

Get rid of this thing and get a 8 team playoff. 4 champions from the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC. Then four at large with none coming from the 4. 3 weeks and we get a true champion, use can use the bowls still for everyone else.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Estee 12-05-11 1
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 2
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 4
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 12-05-11 5
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 9
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set aethelstan 12-05-11 11
               RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 22
                   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 29
                       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 42
               RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 12-05-11 27
                   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 30
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 8
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 10
               RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 15
                   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 17
                       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 19
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 7
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 12
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 14
               RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 16
                   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 18
                       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 31
                           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 35
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 12-05-11 3
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Scuba Steve 12-05-11 6
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 13
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 21
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 37
               RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 41
               RE: BSC SEC rematch is set mrc 12-07-11 44
 Because it would make sense, that's... Estee 12-05-11 20
   RE: Because it would make sense, th... HobbsofMI 12-05-11 23
       RE: Because it would make sense, th... Estee 12-05-11 24
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set kingfish 12-05-11 25
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 12-05-11 26
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 12-05-11 32
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 12-05-11 36
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 12-05-11 40
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 12-05-11 38
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 12-05-11 39
 I would have said military-industri... Estee 12-05-11 28
   RE: I would have said military-indu... newsomewayne 12-05-11 33
       RE: I would have said military-indu... Estee 12-05-11 34
 The such-as-it-is math. Estee 12-07-11 43
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Colonel Zoidberg 01-03-12 45
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Max Headroom 01-03-12 46
       RE: BSC SEC rematch is set Colonel Zoidberg 01-03-12 47
           RE: BSC SEC rematch is set HobbsofMI 01-03-12 48
 RE: BSC SEC rematch is set newsomewayne 01-05-12 49
   RE: BSC SEC rematch is set PepeLePew13 01-05-12 50
 At the half... Estee 01-09-12 51
   RE: At the half... byoffer 01-10-12 52
   RE: At the half... PepeLePew13 01-10-12 53
       RE: At the half... HobbsofMI 01-10-12 54
           RE: At the half... newsomewayne 01-10-12 56
               *whistle* Estee 01-10-12 57
               RE: At the half... HobbsofMI 01-10-12 58
       RE: At the half... Max Headroom 01-10-12 55
           RE: At the half... PepeLePew13 01-10-12 59
               RE: At the half... Max Headroom 01-10-12 61
                   RE: At the half... AyaK 01-10-12 62
 One incredibly biased article. Estee 01-10-12 60

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-11, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
'We don't want to suggest the BSC is corrupt. We want to state definitively that the BCS is corrupt.'
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-11, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State, of all teams, a team with a 3-6 conference record. They had an all-but-guaranteed spot in the BCS game and blew it. National championship contenders do not lose to teams like Iowa State, period.

By contrast, it's clear to me who the two best teams are in the nation: LSU and Alabama. They went to overtime and are very evenly-matched, so I don't have a problem with them going up against each other again to settle the national championship for once and all. Nobody else seems to be close to these two, not even Oklahoma State.

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-11, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Exactly.

School Spirit by Syren, 2005

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-11, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
So if Alabama beats LSU, does that make them the "national champion" even though they previously lost to LSU and they didn't win their conference?

*shakes head*

This BCS stuff is bogus beyond belief.

12-05-11, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Yes. It does.

aethelstan 4348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-05-11, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
I don't follow American football and certainly not at the college level but I read the various threads here and your statement makes me question something.
You suggest that a national champion should have won their regular season conference as well as the one game playoff called the the Title Bowl (or whatever the heck it's called). If one wins the latter but not the former, it is not a true "national champion".

This suggests to me that you, like Hobbs, would prefer a playoff structure of some sort, possibly even 8 teams (would all 8 teams be conference champs or would the 'wild card' as Hobbs suggests allow for the best second place team in a conference to get in?).

What happens then when one of the Wild Card/At Large teams wins? It's just a matter of time before it happens of course. We just have to look to the NFL, MLB, NHL or College Basketball to see many examples of Wild Card/At Large teams winning and becoming national champion.

Last year Connecticut won the Final Four despite the fact that it was a 9 seed going into its own conference tournament. With college basketball, a true national champion, it seems would need to win the regular season crown, its conference tournament and the national championship game otherwise you could say something like "So, if Duke beats UNC, does that make them the 'national champion' even though they previously lost to UNC and didn't win their conference?".

Curiously, the NIT tournament started off as the losers' tournament (ok, it still is) as all the conference winners went to the NCAA tournament which often meant that some of the best teams in the country weren't in the NCAA tourney. They added non-conference champion at large teams to address this.

We can use an example of recent ('07-'08) NFL history too. Should the Giants be considered "national champion" because they beat the Patriots even though the previously lost to the Pats and didn't win their division (finished 2nd in NFC East)?

Now, I'm not saying that I have a solution or saying that one system (BCS) is better or worse than another (playoffs w/ wild card/at large teams). I just think that unless someone goes completely undefeated (and in college ranks, even that can be a little suspect depending on the quality of the opponents), you are left with a less than ideal situation but I don't think you can say that someone can't be a national champion just because they lost once to a team that they subsequently beat when the stakes are higher.

12-05-11, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
In football it's a mythical national championship.

You said it much better than I did.

12-05-11, 03:41 PM (EST)
29. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
If it's mythical and thus, doesn't really matter, then why all the fuss?

12-05-11, 09:13 PM (EST)
42. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Cause I want a true champion just like every other NCAA sport and all the other divisions of football.

12-05-11, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Though it might be difficult to agree on the details, I'm strongly in favor of playoffs. That's how every other major sport determines a champion-- why not major college football? The lower tiers of college football (FCS, Division II, Division III, NAIA) all have playoffs to determine their champions, so why are the largest schools different?

Yeah, I know, it's all about money. But playoff games would certainly generate revenue.

12-05-11, 03:42 PM (EST)
30. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Though it might be difficult to agree on the details, I'm strongly in favor of playoffs.

I agree.

12-05-11, 12:22 PM (EST)
8. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
What about all those in the SEC that voted down Michigan in 2006 and said if you were not the champion of your conference you should not be there?

12-05-11, 12:32 PM (EST)
10. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Because Flordia was a comparable team to Michigan that year.

Ok. St. does not compare to Alabama.

Had they been undefeated, then OSU would deserve their shot at LSU. But they are not and they don't.

12-05-11, 01:19 PM (EST)
15. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
And how do you know? Did FL play Mich that year? No and you could play this team beat that team thus this team should win.

How does OSU not compare to AL?

They beat 4 top 25 teams to AL 3...they have no common opponents...

You can't compare them.

12-05-11, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"

>How does OSU not compare to AL?

Iowa State says OSU doesn't compare to Alabama.

12-05-11, 01:34 PM (EST)
19. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Why....a team came up and got bit for one lost but then rose up and still won their conference? Did AL win their division?

If you want the BSC then you've got to give someone else a shot and no one has still address why everyone in the SEC was saying no to a rematch in 2006 if you didn't win your conference but it's ok now since it benefits our conference.

12-05-11, 12:20 PM (EST)
7. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
So why not have a rematch of OSU vs. Mich back in 2006?

Florida lost to Auburn on the road that year and Michigan lost a close game vs. OSU on the road.

Plus how do you know they are the best two teams? We don't. How many had NO blowing out Seattle last year. Boise States wins? Flukes? NYG over NE? You never know so they should play it out on the field and not by a bunch of hypocrites poll voters and computers.

12-05-11, 12:52 PM (EST)
12. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Fine... who else should play LSU then? Everyone else has lost a game or two. Oklahoma State lost to a far inferior team than Alabama did. Stanford? They got hammered by a Oregon team that lost twice (including once to LSU). If you compare all of the losses the one-loss teams had, Bama had by far the closest call (losing to the #1 seed in overtime) while the next closest call is Boise State in losing to an 'okay' TCU team.

And Hobbs... we know the Big Whatever up north are filled with joke teams. Florida proved they were a far worthier opponent than Michigan that year - OSU got hammered.

12-05-11, 01:15 PM (EST)
14. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
And thus proves my point....also happen when OSU beat Miami in 2002 when no one gave them a chance. The No. 1 team or seed are not always the winner.

Upsets happen and thus it should be done on the field but if you are not going to do a playoff, LSU beat Alabama on the field, in their own house, thus they don't deserve to in the BSC game. They've already lost to them directly and OSU has not thus they get their shot to upset LSU or get their butt beat.

12-05-11, 01:22 PM (EST)
16. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
But OSU was less impressive in their loss than Bama was in theirs. Shouldn't that count for something?

You want the two BEST teams in the BCS championship game. I think that if you put Bama up against OSU, more people would say that Bama wins. If that's the case, then Bama deserves to go up against LSU more than OSU does.

12-05-11, 01:27 PM (EST)
18. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Again...it's subjective in your opinion, my opinion is different.

It's an opinion but then why do upsets happen and we should just crown people champions on our opinions.

12-05-11, 03:45 PM (EST)
31. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
So who, in your opinion, Alabama or OSU, is the better team? Why?

12-05-11, 04:30 PM (EST)
35. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Honestly I think AL might be better but they lost, just as Michigan did to OSU in 2006, and are not the champion of the SEC (Since they pay their players well shouldn't we just make them a new division of the NFL? ) thus they had their shot and blew it at home.

Just as I thought Miami was the better team vs. Ohio State, etc.

But what I think does not translate to that team winning or I wouldn't be dead last in pick'em.

12-05-11, 11:43 AM (EST)
3. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Alabama finished second in their half of the SEC. While I think Oklahoma State wouldn't be very competitive with LSU, as the Big 12 champion they have a stronger claim to the "championship game" than SEC West runner-up Alabama.

Scuba Steve 1644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-05-11, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuba%20Steve Click to send private message to Scuba%20Steve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
This is bull. Alabama didn't even win their division. I hope LSU blows them out. I feel sorry for the Oklahoma State team. They got screwed big time.

12-05-11, 12:55 PM (EST)
13. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
So, the St. Louis Cardinals should hand in their World Series trophy on account they were merely the second best team in the regular season in their own division? They shouldn't have even had an opportunity to sniff the World Series, according to your reasoning.

Oklahoma State lost to a far inferior team than Alabama did. They had their chance as well, and blew it.

12-05-11, 01:36 PM (EST)
21. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
How can you say OSU had their chance when they never played AL or LSU head to head?

Again your St. Louis example proves my point on playing it out on the field.

12-05-11, 04:57 PM (EST)
37. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
The St. Louis example also disproves your point about Alabama not even winning their division in the SEC as well. Champions *do* come from teams that didn't win their own divisions/conferences (as often seen in the NFL, NHL, MLB, etc.) and they frequently get second chances because they're good enough to get one.

12-05-11, 09:12 PM (EST)
41. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
No it proves it because each one you named where teams don't win their division/conference have playoffs. None of them are chosen by a poll and have one game for it all.

mrc 10020 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-11, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
I agree with Hobbs, and the reason is because I think the conference championship games have to be considered part of the postseason.

No sport I know of allows a non-playoff team to sit at home during the first round of playoffs, then get seeded into the second round. For example, MLB has the wild card round, but it doesn't allow a second-place team in the AL East to compete in the divisional round just because it had the third-best record in the American League. That team either had to win the wild card or it was out.

Since NCAA Div. I (or whatever it's called now) football doesn't have a playoff system, then the conference championships should be considered the first round of a playoff system for determining the BCS title game, if not all of the BCS games. You aren't in the conference championship game, then you don't get to advance to the next round.

But that's my thinking, and the BCS isn't logical, neat, and tidy.

Done by a Cap

12-05-11, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Because it would make sense, that's why."
Are the BCS offices located in Florida?

12-05-11, 01:38 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Because it would make sense, that's why."
It's all for tax reasons.

12-05-11, 01:46 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Because it would make sense, that's why."
Have they considered spending a year dead?

Or longer?

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-11, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Alabama may deserve to play LSU in the BCS bowl, just not for the NCAA Div I Football championship. LSU should be awarded that regardless of the outcome of the game based on their reg season juggernaut performance against the strongest Div 1 schedule. Topped with a SEC Champ win. LSU is simply the best team in college football this season, the only question remaining is who is #2.

But someone has to play LSU in the Sugar Bowl. Even so, I would rather see LSU play OSU, or even OU. Anyone they hadn't already beaten. Then, if LSU happened to lose that game, whoever beat them could legitimately claim to be #1.

The best that Alabama should be able to claim if they happen to win is that they tied with LSU for the 2011 NCAAF championship.

It really isn't fair for LSU to have to beat Alabama twice in order to be considered the superior team. This definitely a problematic year for the BCS setup.

12-05-11, 02:39 PM (EST)
26. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
It really isn't fair for LSU to have to beat Alabama twice in order to be considered the superior team.

Amen, brother. And let's not forget that if LSU loses to Alabama the second time around, they'll end the season ranked below a team they previously beat (on the road, no less).

12-05-11, 03:49 PM (EST)
32. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
That's not really a valid argument. Lots of teams will finish in the polls below teams that they beat.

12-05-11, 04:32 PM (EST)
36. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Michigan is ranked higher then Michigan State right now and MSU got screwed on a BSC game.

12-05-11, 05:36 PM (EST)
40. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Fair enough, but I still agree with kingfish's point that LSU shouldn't have to beat Alabama twice to "prove" they're the better team. Alabama already had their chance to beat LSU and they failed, so give someone else like Oklahoma State a chance.

12-05-11, 05:04 PM (EST)
38. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Ok, let's throw a hypothetical. Suppose OSU beats LSU by 4 or more points while Alabama beats the crap out of whoever they end up playing.

Then we have a new argument all over again - Alabama better than OSU because they lost to a better quality of opponent than OSU did? Alabama only lost to LSU by 3 in overtime while LSU loses by a larger margin to OSU, who lost to an inferior team. Or do we rank OSU ahead just because they beat LSU who beat Alabama? So does that make Iowa State a better team than OSU because they won against them? Or Oklahoma is better because they beat Iowa State even if they lost to OSU? We could go on and on, playing degrees of separation (i.e. who had the more impressive margin of victory over common opponents for LSU/Alabama) but we'd be here all night if we did that.

Here's the thing. If Alabama beats LSU by, let's say, one point in the BCS game, then I would have no problem with naming LSU as national champions because of the +2 differential favouring LSU in their two head-to-head matchups.

12-05-11, 05:34 PM (EST)
39. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Repeat after me: Playoffs.

12-05-11, 02:50 PM (EST)
28. "I would have said military-industrial."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7315595/lsu-tigers-alabama-crimson-rematch-bcs-national-championship-game-divides-nation-college-football

Most of the (few) articles I read before this were openly rooting against the rematch, based largely in going against SEC domination, wanting to overturn the polls, and figuring we'd be in for Borefest #2: This Time, It's Prime Time. And as usual, the NCAA's reaction will be 'I'm sorry, did someone say something? I couldn't hear you over the sound of my money coming in.'

12-05-11, 03:53 PM (EST)
33. "RE: I would have said military-industrial."
Also making it hard to hear any complaints was the construction crew at the SEC offices beefing up their trophy case to hold a sixth straight and 8 out of 14 crystal footballs.

12-05-11, 04:03 PM (EST)
34. "RE: I would have said military-industrial."
At this time, I am contractually obligated by the Laws Of Sports Fan Personhood tp inform you that you're starting to sound like a Yankee fan.

In case you're curious, Stage #5 (terminal) is when you declare no victories made by someone other than your chosen team actually count.

12-07-11, 04:28 PM (EST)
43. "The such-as-it-is math."
Ignore the newest proposed solution to the BCS problem (because the BCS will) and just look at how the numbers shook out to produce the rematch.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7323875/a-solution-bcs

It's not necessarily a comforting read.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-03-12, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Two possibilities here.

LSU beats Alabama - "Well, they already did that. In Tuscaloosa. And it was probably a boring game anyway. At least OK State might have gone down with a few shots at the end zone."

Alabama beats LSU - "Well, LSU already beat them. In Tuscaloosa. Can we really call them the national champions? Only one other team made the national championship game after not winning its conference - Nebraska after the 2001 season. And they got shellacked by Miami."

Any way you cut it, LSU playing a conference rival that didn't even win its own division is absurd.

01-03-12, 10:54 AM (EST)
46. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Let's hope LSU wins again. Though the BCS opponent-selection process was fatally flawed, at least we'll end up with an undefeated champion from a major conference.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-03-12, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
Let's hope LSU wins again, convincingly. Though the BCS opponent-selection process was bat-poop insane, at least we'll end up with an undefeated champion from a major conference.

Fixed for more firepower.

As mentioned above, Nebraska in 2001 was the only other non-conference champion to reach the BCS title game. Miami thrashed them 37-14. Here's hoping this one ends up every bit as much of a laugher so the BCS dopes see the error of their ways and decide that one SEC team in the championship is enough. Yes, we all know the SEC West is the best collection of teams in the country. For now. Give it about another five years and someone else will take the top spot.

01-03-12, 04:01 PM (EST)
48. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
I'm hoping that Alabama beats LSU by a safety 5-3 and then OSU and LSU will cry about being No. 1.

01-05-12, 05:01 PM (EST)
49. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
The difference between this year and 2007 is the losses. Florida's lone loss to an 11-2 Auburn is a much better loss than OSU's loss to 6-7 Iowa State. And it is comparable to Michigan's lone loss in the same year.

Ok. State's loss this year is no comparison to Alabama's. Had OSU lost to Kansas St., Baylor, or Oklahoma instead, then yes, they would have had a much stronger argument. But the quality of the loss is what kills it for them.

It is kinda like how they project the basketball tourney bids. It's not only records and who you've beaten, but it is also who you've lost to.

01-05-12, 06:24 PM (EST)
50. "RE: BSC SEC rematch is set"
I'm in agreement... Alabama had a much 'better' loss than Oklahoma State did, and in fact, Bama could easily have won the game against LSU if it wasn't for the four missed FGs. Bama outgained LSU by a 295-236 margin, so the argument that "LSU won, so therefore they're the better team and Bama had their shot" doesn't work for me.

When two teams are that close to each other and played a game where the result could go either way ... and that they're obviously the two best teams in the nation, I have no problem with a rematch. If LSU had blown out Bama, then I'd agree to letting somebody else have a shot.

01-09-12, 10:52 PM (EST)
51. "At the half..."
So either big boy football doesn't include touchdowns or the bowl accepted Tubya's generous offer to QB for both teams.

Listen closely and you might hear the rating drop.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-12, 00:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: At the half..."
Remember when they used to invite two teams to bowl games?

Ratings drop? Certainly easy to get to bed at a reasonable time. Looks like LSU went to bed very early. I will go now. G'nite!

01-10-12, 00:45 AM (EST)
53. "RE: At the half..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-12 AT 00:47 AM (EST)

This, folks, was an absolute domination by Bama. The 21-0 score was nowhere indicative of the level of the play - with a better execution in the red zone, it would have been a score in the 40s for Bama against the #2 defence in the entire nation, and Bama showed why they're #1 in defence this year.

384 to 92 in total yards.
21 to 5 in first downs.
0 trips into Bama's territory until there were 4 minutes left in the game.

Any complaints now on inviting Bama to the championship game? It's pretty clear who is #1.

01-10-12, 07:31 AM (EST)
54. "RE: At the half..."
But they lost to them on their home field. 2 out of 3?

01-10-12, 10:12 AM (EST)
56. "RE: At the half..."
20 years ago, they would've both entered the game with records of 12-0-1. I don't think anyone, even the most diehard LSU fans, can realistically or rationally argue for a best 2 out of 3.

01-10-12, 10:15 AM (EST)
57. "*whistle*"
Implying reasonable and rational behavior can be expected from diehard college sports fans: fifteen yards and loss of IQ.

01-10-12, 10:42 AM (EST)
58. "RE: At the half..."
Reading some of the comments on Yahoo and such there are many saying they should play a rubber game because they were just out coached.

01-10-12, 09:02 AM (EST)
55. "RE: At the half..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-12 AT 09:02 AM (EST)

Alabama is an excellent team that had one off day. Just like Oklahoma State. And LSU.

01-10-12, 01:17 PM (EST)
59. "RE: At the half..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-11-12 AT 10:57 AM (EST)

The difference is in the big difference in the quality of these one losses. There's no comparison at all in terms of the differences in their one losses:

- OSU lost to a crappy team
- LSU got totally blown out of the water (Did you see the game? It wasn't even close at all)
- Bama fought a rather even game with LSU in that first game - some would say they outplayed LSU a bit with more scoring opportunities - and lost in overtime after a missed FG. (First downs 17-15, 295-239 total yards, both favouring Bama, plus Bama had six scoring opportunities to LSU's three and that interception on the 1-yard line ... I'd say Bama outplayed LSU in Game 1 as well)

Having said that... this is even more reason why we need a playoff to resolve the issue for once and all. After all, if they can stretch the bowl season from Christmas to January 9th, then it shouldn't be too difficult to have semifinal games on Jan. 1 and then the championship on Jan. 8 or 9. The argument that it takes away from these 'student-athletes' being in the classroom loses steam when you have them playing on Jan. 8 or 9 anyway, and they certainly aren't in class on Jan. 1 either. Have LSU-Oregon in one semi and OSU-Bama in the other, the winners goes head-to-head and poof, a lot of arguments will disappear.

ETF for readability

01-10-12, 05:17 PM (EST)
61. "RE: At the half..."
Agree completely with your arguments for a playoff. 4 teams should be sufficient to determine a champion without extending the season too much longer.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-12, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: At the half..."
I've always wanted an 8-team playoff, limited to six conference champions and two wild cards. (No mandatory teams from weak leagues; Alabama would have made it as a wild card this year.) But at least the "plus-one" option (a 4-team playoff) is a step in the right direction.

01-10-12, 04:56 PM (EST)
60. "One incredibly biased article."
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-12 AT 05:04 PM (EST)

This is my to-date favorite Fair Use Quote of the year:

"Somewhere, on one of those winding forest roads that are always showing up in Michelin commercials, a deer frozen in the headlights of an onrushing Subaru Outback devoted the final second of its short life on earth to the thought: You know what, I’m still running the speed option better than Jordan Jefferson is right now."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/13677/bcs-national-championship-game-what-the-hell

And one on the Uncaring Jerkass Football Machine that is Nick Satban.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7447250/michael-weinreb-alabama-lsu-bcs-national-championship-ugliest-year-college-football

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •