The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"It's (finally) coach-firing season!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Sports Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-29-11, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"It's (finally) coach-firing season!"
LAST EDITED ON 11-29-11 AT 12:12 PM (EST)

Ye gawds, that took forever. We usually push the first HBIC off the bridge well before Thanksgiving, but getting almost all the way to December without hanging the first blame repository by the crematorium with care? 'twas the season of procrastination and all through the league, not a paycheck was revoked, except to Tim Teb.

But we've broken the seal at last: the Jaguars just dumped Jack Del Rio into the Toys For Pop Warner Tots box. And there's surely more to come! Why, three more losses and the locals will be bringing out the gift wrap themselves.

Sure, let's call it gift wrap...

I think we get at least five more, but some may wait until the playoffs are underway.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: It's (finally) coach-firing sea... Max Headroom 11-29-11 1
   RE: It's (finally) coach-firing sea... samboohoo 11-29-11 2
   RE: It's (finally) coach-firing sea... newsomewayne 11-30-11 19
 I expect to see: samboohoo 11-29-11 3
   RE: I expect to see: Estee 11-29-11 4
       RE: I expect to see: samboohoo 11-29-11 5
           RE: I expect to see: Estee 11-29-11 6
   RE: I expect to see: AyaK 11-29-11 7
       RE: I expect to see: Estee 11-29-11 8
           RE: I expect to see: HobbsofMI 11-29-11 9
               RE: I expect to see: Max Headroom 11-29-11 11
                   RE: I expect to see: HobbsofMI 11-29-11 13
       RE: I expect to see: samboohoo 11-29-11 12
       RE: I expect to see: newsomewayne 11-30-11 20
   RE: I expect to see: Max Headroom 11-29-11 10
       RE: I expect to see: AyaK 11-29-11 14
           RE: I expect to see: Jims02 11-29-11 15
       RE: I expect to see: samboohoo 11-30-11 18
 Two more gone... PepeLePew13 11-29-11 16
 Here's another one. Max Headroom 11-30-11 17
 One more Jaguars note. Estee 11-30-11 21
 Fifteen-yard penalty and loss of pa... Estee 12-12-11 22
   Haley to Steelers cahaya 02-10-12 74
       RE: Haley to Steelers Estee 02-10-12 75
 Sparano's next cahaya 12-12-11 23
   RE: Sparano's next Jims02 12-12-11 24
       RE: Sparano's next AyaK 12-13-11 25
 Spagnuolo out. Estee 01-02-12 26
 Bucs dump Morris. Estee 01-02-12 27
   Good riddance AyaK 01-02-12 28
 Colts fire both Polians Max Headroom 01-02-12 29
   RE: Colts fire both Polians cahaya 01-03-12 30
       RE: Colts fire both Polians Max Headroom 01-03-12 31
           RE: Colts fire both Polians newsomewayne 01-03-12 32
               RE: Colts fire both Polians PepeLePew13 01-03-12 33
                   Manning's reaction cahaya 01-03-12 34
                       RE: Manning's reaction AyaK 01-03-12 35
                   RE: Colts fire both Polians newsomewayne 01-03-12 36
                       RE: Colts fire both Polians Estee 01-04-12 39
   Colts hire Ryan Grigson cahaya 01-12-12 45
       RE: Colts hire Ryan Grigson Max Headroom 01-12-12 46
           RE: Colts hire Ryan Grigson cahaya 01-12-12 47
   Caldwell out, too! newsomewayne 01-17-12 48
       RE: Caldwell out, too! Estee 01-17-12 49
       RE: Caldwell out, too! Max Headroom 01-17-12 50
           RE: Caldwell out, too! cahaya 01-18-12 51
               RE: Caldwell out, too! AyaK 01-18-12 52
                   RE: Caldwell out, too! cahaya 01-18-12 54
                       RE: Caldwell out, too! AyaK 01-19-12 55
                           RE: Caldwell out, too! cahaya 01-19-12 57
                       RE: Caldwell out, too! PepeLePew13 01-19-12 56
                           RE: Caldwell out, too! AyaK 01-20-12 58
                               RE: Caldwell out, too! cahaya 01-20-12 59
                               RE: Caldwell out, too! Estee 01-20-12 60
 All together now... Estee 01-03-12 37
   RE: All together now... AyaK 01-04-12 38
       RE: All together now... PepeLePew13 01-04-12 40
           RE: All together now... Estee 01-04-12 41
       RE: All together now... Naked 01-05-12 42
           RE: All together now... bondt007 01-07-12 43
               RE: All together now... AyaK 01-07-12 44
 7 dismissals, so far AyaK 01-18-12 53
   One more hiring AyaK 01-21-12 61
   And another AyaK 01-24-12 65
 The Colts are made of stupid. Estee 01-22-12 62
   RE: The Colts are made of stupid. cahaya 01-23-12 63
   RE: The Colts are made of stupid. newsomewayne 01-27-12 71
       RE: The Colts are made of stupid. Max Headroom 01-27-12 72
 Manning talks cahaya 01-24-12 64
 Colts hire Chuck Pagano. Estee 01-25-12 66
   Better hire than expected AyaK 01-25-12 67
       RE: Better hire than expected cahaya 01-25-12 68
       Cautious optimism. Max Headroom 01-25-12 69
 Tampa hires Greg Schiano (Rutgers) Estee 01-26-12 70
   RE: Tampa hires Greg Schiano (Rutge... AyaK 01-27-12 73
 Broadcast analyst out cahaya 02-15-12 76

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: It's (finally) coach-firing season!"
Though it isn't his fault that Peyton's hurt and his loss exposes an overall lack of talent, Jim Caldwell hasn't done anything to retain his job. I expect to see him gone after the season, if not sooner.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

samboohoo 17076 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: It's (finally) coach-firing season!"
There was discussion about this on one of the NBC Football Night in America pre-game shows and, while they all agreed that it's not totally Caldwell's fault since the team was built around Peyton, the consensus was that he should be able to find a way to win and may not survive - especially if they don't even win one.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

11-30-11, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: It's (finally) coach-firing season!"
Man, I freakin' hope so. He was a terrible hire to begin with. And yes, I do blame him for the Colts not going perfect in 2009 and losing to the Saints.

surfkitten siggie shop 2007

11-29-11, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "I expect to see:"
Norv
Spagnuolo
Caldwell
Sporano
Andy Reid
Coughlan

11-29-11, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I expect to see:"
I think the Reidiot will keep his job. And I'm pretty sure no one will be able to explain why. Can't call plays, can't use timeouts correctly, can't keep his team motivated -- the only skill he seems to have is compilation of blackmail material.

Unless our local Amazing Charisma-Free Coach finds some old leftover chips to push into the center of the table, this should be his last season.

11-29-11, 12:00 PM (EST)
5. "RE: I expect to see:"
You can add, "can't cut calories" to that list. He looks absolutely awful. I keep waiting for him to drop on the sidelines.

11-29-11, 12:11 PM (EST)
6. "RE: I expect to see:"
You wait, Eagles fans root...

If his luck somehow did run out, I have a hard time seeing him finding another head coaching job -- and he'd be a total loss in the media. Do you want him sitting behind your group desk and providing insight? Can you find his picture next to 'insight' in the dictionary? Can you rely on him to identify a dictionary? The usual NFL coaching carousel aside, I think the Eagles are potentially his last stop.

Well, he could always open a clinic and teach the next generation. Horrible timeouts don't just call themselves!

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I expect to see:"
LAST EDITED ON 11-29-11 AT 01:52 PM (EST)

Norv Turner is definitely history. I give him credit for taking the nucleus of a great team that Marty Schottenheimer left behind and getting absolutely as little out of it as possible.

I think Tony Sporano survives. Miami looked like they'd be a second Indy after losing their first seven, but they'd be on a four-game winning steak if not for a last-second FG on Thanksgiving. If only they'd beaten Denver and not let Tebowmania get started, he'd be a lock.

Jim Caldwell is history. 'Nuff said.

Steve Spagnuolo also has to be history. The team has been pathetic. Any team with the talent to upset the Saints and yet be 2-9? It has to indicate inconsistent coaching. Even the Browns, who are awful (and whom the Rams beat). are 4-7.

I think Andy Reid will be fired, but I disagree that the zoo that is the Eagles franchise is his fault. With the exception of this week's game, where the Patriots exposed Vince Young, I think the team has been playing solid football on defense and just needs a new offensive coordinator. But the GM wants to blame everything on Reid in an internal power play (like the Red Sox this year).

If the Giants don't win three of their last five, I agree that Tom Coughlin will go. The losses to the Redskins and Seahawks were more embarrassing than last night's blowout. But I think Coughlin saves his job if he makes the playoffs, and three wins in the NFC (for 9-6) should do that. Their competition (for three spots: the division and two wild cards) are the four 7-4 teams: the Cowboys, the Bears, the Lions and the Falcons -- but the Bears and Lions are reeling due to injuries and suspensions.

I don't think Leslie Frazier is the answer in Minnesota, but I haven't heard anything about his status recently. Cleveland coach Pat Shurmur stinks, but the GM (Mike Holmgren) is actively defending him Lucchino-style (by trashing the prior staff) and he'll definitely be back (unfortunately). KC coach Todd Haley is probably in more trouble than both of them combined.

And then there are the surprises and the shockers. There will probably be one or two of those as well.

11-29-11, 02:11 PM (EST)
8. "RE: I expect to see:"
LAST EDITED ON 11-29-11 AT 02:12 PM (EST)

If only they'd beaten Denver and not let Tebowmania get started

That in itself should arguably be the firing offense of the season. 'You created Tubya. Die.'

For Caldwell, there's an argument that he did just what the franchise needed. He went out and got Andrew Luck. Baring a reversal of play styles unseen since the refs last openly took bribes, he's made them a Luck Lock. From one franchise QB to a potential second or even the trade bait of a lifetime -- isn't that worth a year?

And the Jints are as patient as any franchise, but these second-half collapses have become Tom's signature move. Even a wild-card slot might not save him this time -- and the right darklight makes it hard to see three wins in the remaining schedule.

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: I expect to see:"
Detroit showed how to stop it....a guess no one was watching that game.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

11-29-11, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: I expect to see:"
All it takes is a few head-slams and a couple of stomps, right?

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: I expect to see:"
Well, being the joke of the league for the last 54 years and getting stomped on...it's time for some payback.

I think 2 games was too light by the way.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

11-29-11, 04:17 PM (EST)
12. "RE: I expect to see:"
LAST EDITED ON 11-29-11 AT 04:18 PM (EST)

Completely agree with you about Norv. DH says that every single time he sees the Chargers play. Letting Marty go was the worst thing they did and the worse thing Dan Snyder did.

I don't know how much say Reid as in Philly about signings, etc., but if he had any say in putting together this "dream" team, he deserves whatever comes of it.

ETA: The Redskins played damn good football Week 1 against the G-men, and they won that game more than the Giants lost it.

11-30-11, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: I expect to see:"
where the Patriots exposed Vince Young

To be fair, Jeff Fisher did that for years.

11-29-11, 04:06 PM (EST)
10. "RE: I expect to see:"
Mike Shanahan isn't on your list? The Redskins haven't been very good since he took over and and Dan Snyder isn't known for his patience.

11-29-11, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: I expect to see:"
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Mike Shanahan survives for a third year in Washington. The team has shown flashes of competence this year (especially now that Roy Helu has taken over as the starting RB), although it won't make the playoffs. Little Dan should have learned that changing coaches every two years does not build a winner.

But a third non-playoff year next year will be Shanahan's last.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 08:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: I expect to see:"
Yeah, they're sticking with Shanahan for next year. Bank on it.

A 2003 IceCat original

11-30-11, 10:50 AM (EST)
18. "RE: I expect to see:"
I think Shanahan fulfills his five-year contract. And, as bad as they are this year, I think that's the best thing for the team.

You can blame a lot on the Redskins' failure for the last almost 20 years: The revolving doors of coaches and quarterbacks. The lack of an O-line. The complete and utter draft busts. The complete and utter free agent signing busts. The meddling of one of the worst owners in the history of owners, the injuries, the kickers, the outside distractions, etc. There's a LOT. And it really boils down to one thing - a lack of consistency. Unless, of course, if you say that we've just been consistently bad.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-11, 09:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Two more gone..."
Bruce Boudreau's out in Washington and Dale (Elbow to Turgeon's Head) Hunter takes over. Let's hope he fires up Ovechkin and Semin, who are both on my big $$ league team.

And Paul Maurice has been fired for the second time from the Hurricanes, while Kirk Muller (yay) takes over.

Whut? You didn't say which league in your title.

11-30-11, 08:49 AM (EST)
17. "Here's another one."
Pete Carroll. The Seahawks are headed nowhere. Again.

11-30-11, 11:53 AM (EST)
21. "One more Jaguars note."
They're for sale.

...I refuse to believe an NFL team is losing money without deliberate effort.

12-12-11, 12:32 PM (EST)
22. "Fifteen-yard penalty and loss of paycheck,"
Todd Haley: out. Yesterday's performance against the Jets was the last straw in a very long serious of haystacks. I haven't heard any interim names yet, but I suspect the Chiefs will be looking for a more sedate sideline personality. And possibly just sedated.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-12, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
74. "Haley to Steelers"
... as OC.

Not bad for a demotion.

02-10-12, 12:49 PM (EST)
75. "RE: Haley to Steelers"
It's not as if that team doesn't have a whole bunch of incredibly offensive people to coordinate into a single mob.

12-12-11, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Sparano's next"
From Truth & Rumors

Coach Tony Sparano, a man of dignity, will lose his job the first week of 2012 because he was given mediocre talent and couldn't turn that into mediocre results this season. ... General manager Jeff Ireland, meanwhile, will retain his job. Owner Stephen Ross, the only opinion that truly matters, is convinced that Ireland should be retained because the Dolphins are indeed talented enough to win and win big with just a couple of important additions to the roster. The owner believes Ireland has done a good enough job in compiling this roster so far and can continue to add talent that a new head coach will develop more successfully than Sparano did.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-11, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Sparano's next"
So basically Stephen Ross is just a huge Reggie Bush fan.

A 2003 IceCat original

12-13-11, 01:44 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Sparano's next"
Perhaps a better way to put it is that Stephen Ross is just a huge tool.

I expected Haley to get fired. But I'm amazed that Tony Sparano is getting fired and the GM is not. Give Sparano credit: he got the most he could out of what he had. As a New England fan, I'm thrilled that Sparano was fired before the Pats had to play the Dolphins again.

Todd Haley's dismissal is no surprise at all. KC had a lot of injuries, but the team started the season flatter than a pancake. I still don't know whether Jackie Battle can play. Neither does anyone else.

01-02-12, 12:37 PM (EST)
26. "Spagnuolo out. "
And he was thisclose to making the playoffs, too.

01-02-12, 01:24 PM (EST)
27. "Bucs dump Morris."
Grab an umbrella: it's raining blame.

01-02-12, 02:32 PM (EST)
28. "Good riddance"
I hate to say this, but it was obvious from the time Raheem Morris was hired that he had no business being an NFL head coach. For some reason, the owner thought that Chucky (Jon Gruden) had taught Morris how to be an HC in the NFL. OMG. LOL.

Textspeak is all that's appropriate for Morris, because textspeak is to real English what Morris is to a real NFL head coach. Nevertheless, at midseason, I thought the owner would bring him back for a fourth attempt at disaster. Little did I know that Morris would finally achieve a complete team meltdown in the second half of the season.

01-02-12, 04:23 PM (EST)
29. "Colts fire both Polians"
link

Press conference at 5 pm, no word on coach Jim Caldwell yet.

01-03-12, 00:31 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Colts fire both Polians"
Well, color me surprised. That was pretty sudden.

Irsay has not established a timeline for finding a new general manager, though he said he would start contacting other GMs and teams Monday night.

No decision on Caldwell is expected to be made until after the GM is hired, though players have overwhelmingly supported him.

01-03-12, 10:10 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Colts fire both Polians"
Caldwell's outta here. Even with no Peyton, they should've been better than 2-14.

01-03-12, 10:51 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Colts fire both Polians"
We can only hope so. The guy's a moron.

01-03-12, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Colts fire both Polians"
So when he coached the Colts to a 14-2 record and a berth in the Super Bowl two seasons ago, he was a moron?

01-03-12, 12:11 PM (EST)
34. "Manning's reaction"
From Truth & Rumors: "I was surprised, shocked, disappointed," Manning said in a telephone interview with The Indianapolis Star. "I don't want to speak for Bill, but I did meet with him and he is (shocked) as well." ... "I'd be the first to tell you that had Bill not been here when I was coming out for the draft, I'm not sure how I would have felt about coming to Indianapolis."

Don Banks of SI's take on it.

In a move that was stunning for the sweeping width and breadth of the clean break it signaled, the Indianapolis Colts on Monday blew up the front office structure that was largely responsible for their becoming the NFL's model franchise in the past decade...

Irsay has the last say on the hearsay.

01-03-12, 01:24 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Manning's reaction"
When I heard this story, I had to tell my kids about when Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell fired head coach/GM Paul Brown (the team's founder and namesake) after the 1962 season. Modell's sources said that he was upset that Brown didn't treat him with enough respect. But the truth of the matter is that Modell wanted the publicity of being identified with the team, and he'd never get that while Paul Brown was still around.

I think the same thing is true here. Jim Irsay would always be second fiddle to Bill Polian in Indy. Now he can be the man in charge.

In Cleveland, fans eventually carried "Jump, Art!" signs to the games, urging Modell to leap from his box seats to his death. The Browns had their security guards at the games confiscate them -- and so one fan hired an airplane to fly overhead at each game towing a "Jump, Art!" banner and drawing. The fans cheered and chanted "Jump, Art!" every time the plane flew overhead. Modell finally moved the team because he wanted fan love, not hatred.

I expect Jim Irsay will shortly inspire similar sentiments -- but, since the Colts play in a dome, no one will be able to see an overhead banner, so he'll escape some of the harrassment that his incompetence would otherwise create.

01-03-12, 02:15 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Colts fire both Polians"
>So when he coached the Colts
>to a 14-2 record and
>a berth in the Super
>Bowl two seasons ago, he
>was a moron?

Yes. Yes, he was.

01-04-12, 08:34 AM (EST)
39. "RE: Colts fire both Polians"
Y'know, if you were this picky about the wording in your holy book, you'd be a Buddhist by now.

01-12-12, 11:59 AM (EST)
45. "Colts hire Ryan Grigson"
Who? Oh, okay, so some of the Eagles folks here might know who he is, but I had to look him up. He was promoted to director of player personnel by the Eagles in 2010 after a career that primarily consisted of scouting.

Looking at his resume, I'm beginning to wonder if Irsay is going to be the actual GM behind the scenes, with this guy focusing on player personnel and scouting. There's nothing in Grigson's resume that points to being a GM of operations overall, and I don't expect Irsay to hand him any major decision-making powers.

01-12-12, 05:24 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Colts hire Ryan Grigson"
Start the stopwatch for the "Jim Caldwell's been fired" press conference. A new GM doesn't have any ties to an incumbent coach coming off a 2-14 season.

01-12-12, 05:33 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Colts hire Ryan Grigson"
Grigson's job responsibilities:

1. Hand out the pink slips.

01-17-12, 04:34 PM (EST)
48. "Caldwell out, too!"
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Jim-Caldwell-Indianapolis-Colts-Jim-Irsay-fired-head-coach-011712

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Colts-fire-coach-Jim-Caldwell-57062870

Yay!

01-17-12, 05:24 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
Now you can go sign Billy Martin again!

01-17-12, 09:39 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
And the housecleaning continues.

01-18-12, 03:24 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
LAST EDITED ON 01-18-12 AT 03:26 PM (EST)

And the housecleaning continues.

Until it's all spic and span, as they say.

Manning next, in March?

From all of that housecleaning, we should have a pretty sterile team next year at this rate. The Indianapolis Geldings.

01-18-12, 06:02 PM (EST)
52. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
Maybe you could give the Colts' nickname back to Baltimore and name the team after its new starting QB?

The Indianapolis Lucks.

An accurate name, because they'll need a lot of luck (plus some Luck) to win anything while Jim Irsay is in charge.

Any clues about Peyton's next destination? Think he'd want to go back to Tennessee? That would give him plenty of chances to show up the Colts.

01-18-12, 08:20 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
Any clues about Peyton's next destination?

The latest tweet rumors say he might decide to retire if he becomes a free agent. He's one of those frugal guys who hasn't blown the massive wad he has earned. If anything, he's still got plenty to continue to donate millions to the children's hospital in Indy and not feel a dent.

01-19-12, 10:57 AM (EST)
55. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
When Tom Brady was injured in the first game of 2008, he missed the rest of that season and then needed all of 2009 to get back to being "Tom Brady." It might be a daunting prospect to Peyton Manning to have to go through a subpar season (for him) with a new team. I guess it depends upon how chronic his injuries are.

But I don't believe that he's retiring just because Rob Lowe tweeted it.

01-19-12, 01:27 PM (EST)
57. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
This just in: Rob Lowe says “his people” meant Peyton Manning was retiring from fantasy football.

WP's Tracee Hamilton's take on Rob Lowe's tweets.

You think Payton drafted Eli for his FF team?

01-19-12, 01:16 PM (EST)
56. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
What's the scuttlebutt in Indy about the prospect of him going to, let's say, the Jets? Up here, that's been the only potential place linked to Peyton if he decides he wants to keep playing but gets cut by Indy.

The Jets make sense because they've got a lot of pieces in place that needs a 'glue' to pull together for a championship run, and Peyton is a de facto coach so he can be the buffer for Rex Ryan's rantings. They're a good enough team that could withstand a few so-so outings early in the season to give Peyton time to gradually get into form -- a rusty Peyton early in the year is still better at managing a game than a 100% Mark Sanchez.

01-20-12, 00:31 AM (EST)
58. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
The problem is, I don't see any connection between new Jets' offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and Peyton. And when LT says that it's the worst locker room he's ever seen . . . so if you were Peyton and had your choice of where to go, why on Earth would you want to go to the Jets? The only people seriously pushing the idea of Peyton to the Jets are NYC beat writers.

01-20-12, 10:00 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
The connection would be with Tom Moore, former Colts offensive coach acting as consultant to the Jets. But that's really stretching it. While Moore and Manning go back a long way (and respect each other highly), that relationship wouldn't be enough to entice Payton to play for the Jets, especially in the condition their locker room is in.

01-20-12, 10:22 PM (EST)
60. "RE: Caldwell out, too!"
The only people seriously pushing the idea of Peyton to the Jets are NYC beat writers.

And dear gawds, we wish they'd stop. We already did this. It was called the Favre Error. I'm sure Peyton won't generate nearly as many lawsuits, but...

*sigh* Actually, I'm pretty sure Madison Avenue is pushing for this too. Two brothers, one city? No one else will get a commercial for three years.

01-03-12, 05:09 PM (EST)
37. "All together now..."
...the Reidiot has not been fired.

Wouldn't you love to see the negatives?

01-04-12, 01:07 AM (EST)
38. "RE: All together now..."
Honestly, I don't know how Reid and GM Howie Roseman can both survive.

If it were up to me, I'd keep Reid and can Roseman.

But even more unbelievable to me is that both HC Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith are both staying in San Diego. Just how bad to you have to be to get fired there?

01-04-12, 09:13 AM (EST)
40. "RE: All together now..."
Yep, and what does this tell the fan base? "We're happy with the annual underperforming and the .500 records! Keep coming to our games."

01-04-12, 12:36 PM (EST)
41. "RE: All together now..."
But addicts don't leave. Count the number of empty seats at your typical Eagles home game. Philly loves to tell their teams how much they svck, but they pay to do it in person.

Naked 886 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-05-12, 08:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Naked Click to send private message to Naked Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: All together now..."
To get fired in San Diego, you have to go 13-3 and get to the AFC Championship game. If you are not making the playoffs in the worst division in football, you get to keep your job year after year.

Honestly though, the problems in San Diego are not coaching. It is a GM allowing one of the best defenses in the league to be traded away and fall apart. Norv, although not glamorous, does everything you need a coach to do. That's why franchises were lined up around the block to hire him as offensive coordinator when they thought that he would get fired.

VOTE NAKED 2004

bondt007 3358 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-07-12, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: All together now..."
Their just waiting one more year until they move to LA -

01-07-12, 05:04 PM (EST)
44. "RE: All together now..."
You may be right. Keeping Norv and A.J. sends the message to your fans that you don't give a sh--. So fans don't come. That makes it easier to justify moving the team.

01-18-12, 06:47 PM (EST)
53. "7 dismissals, so far"
KC: Todd Haley out, Romeo Crennel in
Thoughts: Crennel is still an excellent defensive coordinator, and he has actual talent with the Chiefs. This will be his last chance to prove that he can be a head coach. Considering how barren of talent Cleveland was when Eric Mangini arrived there, it may be that the Browns overachieved during his time there.

Jacksonville: Jack DelRio out, Mike Mularkey in
Thoughts: Mularkey is a very good coach who boneheadedly released Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo (after a 9-7 season) to go with J.P. Losman. That "lack of talent evaluation" reputation has haunted him. We'll get to see if it's justified.

St. Louis Rams: Steve Spagnuolo out, Jeff Fisher in
Thoughts: No team underachieved as much as the Rams in 2011. If nothing else, that will change under Jeff Fisher, the only proven winner among the new hires.

Miami Dolphins: Tony Sparano out, vacant
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Raheem Morris out, vacant
Oakland Raiders: Hue Jackson out, vacant
Indianapolis Colts: Jim Caldwell out, vacant
Thoughts: Some of these teams made good moves so far (Tampa), some didn't, but we can't really evaluate until a replacement is in place.

Still on the bubble;
Minnesota Vikings (Leslie Frasier)

Apparently safe, for unknown reasons (blackmail?):
Cleveland Browns (Pat Shurmur)
Dallas Cowboys (Jason Garrett)
San Diego Chargers (Norv Turner)

And who really knows what vagaries of talent evaluation are in the mind (such as it is) of an NFL owner?

01-21-12, 00:31 AM (EST)
61. "One more hiring"
Miami hires Joe Philbin, Green Bay's offensive coordinator (whose son died tragically two weeks ago) as new HC. That means GM Jeff Ireland is keeping his job.

I was surprised Philbin took the job, because his son died while he was down in Miami interviewing. But he did. He's a good coach, but it's hard to say how effective he'll be as a head coach, because he didn't call all the shots on the offense in GB. (For example, the HC calls the plays there.) I wish him luck.

One piece of this story brings joy throughout Boston, New York City, and Buffalo. Everyone in those cities (the Dolphins' division rivals) is THRILLED that Ireland is sticking around. Ireland has made some of the worst drafts and worst personnel decisions in football history since joining the Dolphins. When the team brought him in (as an aide to Bill Parcells) at the start of the 2008 season, the 'Fins had a team that would go 11-5. Now, the cupboard is bare. Thanks, Jeff, from Rex, Chan and Hoodie.

01-24-12, 10:42 PM (EST)
65. "And another"
Oakland hires Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as head coach.

Dennis Allen??!

About the only positive I can see from this hiring is that it puts the Denver coaching staff in flux. But, presuming Allen doesn't get to bring Von Miller with him to Oakland, it seems like a very questionable choice. Overall, the shift from Hue Jackson to Allen seems like a major step backward.

Down to Tampa Bay and Indianapolis, for now.

01-22-12, 02:16 PM (EST)
62. "The Colts are made of stupid."
Leading head coach candidate with two interviews and possibly counting --

*places fine selection of nooses on open display*

-- Jim Tressel.

So, Newsome: continue following the evangelical path or admit your faith is being run by an outdated repressive idiot?

01-23-12, 10:39 AM (EST)
63. "RE: The Colts are made of stupid."
*facepalm* on Tressel.

They're also interviewing Pete Carmichael (OC, Saints) and Mike Zimmer (DC, Bengals).

01-27-12, 09:40 AM (EST)
71. "RE: The Colts are made of stupid."
Unlike some Colt faithful here, my loyalties to them hold or break with Peyton. If he's got a new jersey next year, I'll be doing my part to stimulate the economy by buying some new sweatshirts.
Guess I'd better use this siggie while I can.

01-27-12, 11:34 AM (EST)
72. "RE: The Colts are made of stupid."
Get ready to stimulate the economy. The public feuding between Peyton and Jim Irsay provides the latest hint that Peyton will not be receiving $28MM on March 8th.

01-24-12, 04:33 PM (EST)
64. "Manning talks"
From the horse's mouth.

For the record, Manning and Grigson finally met, briefly, last week when the two ran across each other in the facility.

"One thing he (Grigson) kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I'm going to sit down and talk with," Manning said. "That's going to happen at some point, but we haven't had that conversation yet because we really don't need to have that conversation yet."

"I'm not in a very good place for healing, let's say that," he said, referring to the practice facility. "It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change."

"I mean, it's 20 degrees, it's snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices," he said. "I guess it's the reality of the football world, just not something I've had to deal with very often. But I'm in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it. Everybody's being evaluated and I'm no different. It's not the best environment.

"I just want to pay tribute to all those guys. It's unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so ... sudden. Their keys didn't work the next day. There's no other way to do it? I don’t know. That's hard to see, all these people leaving.

"And I may be behind them. Who knows?"

01-25-12, 06:55 PM (EST)
66. "Colts hire Chuck Pagano."
And thus did the era of meaningful football in the heartland begin its five-year break.

01-25-12, 07:48 PM (EST)
67. "Better hire than expected"
I'm actually impressed with this hire. I think very highly of Chuck Pagano, not least because he's never seemed to be someone with a lot of ego issues.

Although he's only had one year there as defensive coordinator, he coached for the Ravens under Rex Ryan, and he then had former Patriots dfensive coordinator Dean Pees (who supposedly left New England because he didn't want to spend as much time at work) on his staff.

This is a much better hire than I expected.

01-25-12, 11:13 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Better hire than expected"
Yeah, I actually like this hire, and Pagano deserves the promotion. Compared to some other names being bandied about, he's the best of the lot.

It should be an interesting season next year.

I'm curious what they're going to do with the QB coach job if they're intending on drafting Luck.

01-25-12, 11:45 PM (EST)
69. "Cautious optimism."
Almost anybody would've been better than Jim Caldwell, but there's definitely hope for the future with this hire.

01-26-12, 06:36 PM (EST)
70. "Tampa hires Greg Schiano (Rutgers)"
The NCAA still has no mercy rule for incoming recruits.

The NFL doesn't have one for incoming coaches either.

01-27-12, 09:09 PM (EST)
73. "RE: Tampa hires Greg Schiano (Rutgers)"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-12 AT 09:10 PM (EST)

I've been expecting Schiano to leave Rutgers, but not for the NFL.

I don't know anyhting about GM Mark Dominik, but he seems like an idiot. There really hasn't been anyone with any sense running the franchise since Jon Gruden had Rich McKay ousted. The Glazers don't appear to care about the franchise at all and appear to be using it for the sole purpose of making U.S. deals to market Manchester United, which was reflected in the hiring of Raheem Morris -- the least-qualified head coach in the NFL in the last decade, who somehow lasted three years (perhaps on sheer luck due to LeGarrette Blount's great season last year despite not playing much until week 7).

I have to figure that more established coaches didn't want to work with Dominik and may have wanted GM responsibility themselves. Can't say I'd blame them.

02-15-12, 04:51 PM (EST)
76. "Broadcast analyst out"
Ron Jaworski bites the dust, no longer on MNF.

With no replacement planned.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •